Prepare to enjoy watching the Red Sox behind as a seasonal ritual

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LB34. Show LB34's posts

Re: Prepare to enjoy watching the Red Sox behind as a seasonal ritual

Addition by subtraction. CC and Beckett have done nothing to contribute to the Sox last year or this year. AGon will be missed but that is the price to pay to get rid of two terrible contracts. The prospects and flexibility is like the sun coming up on a new day. More moves to come in the offseason....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LB34. Show LB34's posts

Furthermore all three players are past their prime and have begun their descents to mediocrity. AGon is the only guy you can argue, but his power numbers have not been near expectations since arriving in Boston. Crawford is an overpaid and now injury prone shadow of his former self ( got two full years to determine that) and Beckett has been in decline and denial since 2008. A change of scenery may help them perform better in th short term but long term they will not play up to those contracts....especially in Boston which is the real point here!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

This team needed to rip the bandaid off and they just did that. The downside is the loss of one of the best first baseman in baseball. The upside is they clear beckett and crawford out of the clubbouse and off the books. Forget all the hyperbolic responses having to do with AGON being run out of town or not - I think it boils down to that. AGON is a solid pro who will always hit and play solid defense - he isn't a leader (though he sees himself as one) and he's a "me first" guy. Really not a problem on a team with a solid leadership base, but that something that doesn't exist here. Pedroia is on an island and Big Papi is all over the place - his opinions changing according to the way the wind blows (as in who is saying what about HIM at the moment)... Forget what's coming back in this trade (though zach lee would have been nice) - it's is a salary dump and there are only a few teams in baseball that could even consider taking on 260 million and one of those is the yankees and we know that would never happen. There was almost universal agreement that crawford was a bust of epic proportions. Beckett was clearly a malcontented disaster who was going to be here for two more miserable years. AGON hurts - there is no getting around it, but this is the price you pay for creating the mess that this team has become. Admittedly, this may not work but it sure wasn't working (and ewasn't going to work) the way it was and anyone who thinks differently is kidding themselves. At least now they can attempt to start over, focus on pitching, developing young players, and there is about 100 million to work with to get a couple of outfielders, a front line starter, a first baseman, and a DH. They might not be able to replace AGON, but they can improve this team over the next few years and get back to being a playoff contender. It needed to be blown up and it got blown up. Matusaka is gone after this year and we'll see if Lackey can get back into the rotation next season, pitch reasonably well, and get someone to take him too. Maybe then this horrible chapter in red sox history can be closed. They've become a laughing stock in baseball and major changes were needed. The manager will go after this season and we'll see what they come up with. They very well might be mediocre for the next few years, but at least now there is some hope for improvement and a potential for a shift in culture, though the best way for that to happen would be for the owners to sell. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

I am glad they did what they did. I think AGON was a crap house lawyer in that club house which was detrimental to the team. We shall see when this Triple AAA team struggles whether the fans are happy paying the top dollar prices they are charging at Fenway. The grade at this point is incomplete depending on what they will do next year with approximately 83 million dollars lopped off the payroll including Youkillis 15 million and and Matsusaka's 10 million.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: Prepare to enjoy watching the Red Sox behind as a seasonal ritual:
    Addition by subtraction. CC and Beckett have done nothing to contribute to the Sox last year or this year. AGon will be missed but that is the price to pay to get rid of two terrible contracts. The prospects and flexibility is like the sun coming up on a new day. More moves to come in the offseason....
    Posted by LB34

Beckett didn't help last year?  You must be thinking of a different season than I remember.  He was 13-7 with a great ERA ... he had several no decisions that should have ghe last month one his way .... the last month was dismal, but he was excellent the rest of the season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Floridamorgan. Show Floridamorgan's posts

n Response to Re: Prepare to enjoy watching the Red Sox behind as a seasonal ritual:
    Bring up the kids I say.
    Posted by carnie

Well said, Carnie!  Any place for lawyers in there?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

In Response to Prepare to enjoy watching the Red Sox behind as a seasonal ritual:
    I am not a fan of the trade, if it comes through. I will be glad to be wrong.  I know the tream has been 66-86 since a certain time last season, but ... I do recognize CC never panned out.  A great personal disappointment to me.  I know Josh has had a hard season.    A-Gon being gone will be hard to take .... I just have a really bad fealing. For once ... I am really negative. 
    Posted by SinceYaz

Bunk up, Little Camper.  It will all work out, you'll see!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Prepare to enjoy watching the Red Sox behind as a seasonal ritual:
    In Response to Prepare to enjoy watching the Red Sox behind as a seasonal ritual : Bunk up, Little Camper.  It will all work out, you'll see!
    Posted by Yoshimi25

It's gonna be a bright, bright sunshiny day.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Lmao. This trade is the biggest thing that happened to the sox all year. The season is sh it and so was the future with those contracts. Now the sox have room to grow and a season to add good solid players to a decent core of talent. Thank you BC you are the anti Theo.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Rubby De LaRosa threw a scoreless inning last night for Chattanooga, and is currently sporting an era of 0.00 in a very small sample size in his comeback from Tommy John surgery. Apparently he hit 97 the night the Red Sox watched him. Meanwhile on the home front, Mauro Gomez just won the International League MVP for 2012, so maybe we won't have to look too far for our 1B for next year. We'll also have some money available to go out and get FAs late in the signing period when there are usually some bargains to be had. It looks to me like young Ben might have learned more about running a baseball team from the Duke than he did Theo. Factor in that one of Linares, Bradley or Bogaerts could emerge as a major leaguer in spring training and the future might not be so bleak as you think sy my old friend.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Yaz, when you've got both moon and JoeB endorsing this wholeheartedly, you should feel pretty comfortable about it.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

I am more than willing to give our farm guys a chance, some of them I am quite excited about. 

I respect Joe and Moon greatly, but I am just as much upset with the way that our fan base treated Adrian ... I can understand Carl, but I knew ahead of time that if he so much as slipped on a banana peel, our fine fan base would eat him alive.  I even wrote about it ahead of time ... dogone if I wasn't right.  But the maroons that started in of Adrian - even last year when he had a superlative season.

We are the most heartless fans in the world, as far as I know.  I used to give that credit to Philly and Chicago .... but the new breed of fans and the "old timers" who have tasted blood and are getting more and more critical.

Sad to say, but the fans have been anything fun to play for. 
    So many have become boors ... it's their right.  How amazing if they turned their right into something positive.

So to repeat ... I'm all for the young guys.  I will be FOR them and not cutting them off at the knees

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

me too, I like the young guys too...I do. I like Bogerts a lot, and I hope Middlebrooks does well, maybe Rubby will be a find. But it's going to be next to impossible to compete if you don't have some MLB-caliber (and I use this word very carefully). Caliber. Look at Franklin Morales. He had some brilliant starts but at times he looked like the journeyman lefty he's been in the past. People are waiting for Ciriaco to go bust, although I think he's desperately showing everyone he belongs in the league. But Lavarnway has been hideious at the plate. There are so many positions that are going to be filled by non-MLB caliber players. Is BC going to sign 10 free agents to fill all the spots that need to be filled. People act like Pawtucket is god's gift to MLB. It's not. It's been if anything a never-ending Clown Car for pitchers who look really good in minor league game and get torched in MLB games. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Other than Doubrount, Jon Lester is the last SP that amounted to anything from the system in MLB for the Sox.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

2007 to 2012.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Justin Masterson? Kelly finally threw for SD the other day, looked good. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Tell me how the Sox fix their pitching and their offense. The offense is with the least amount of MLB talent going back to the Tom Brunansky Sox.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

BC going to spend that 260 million to fix it? How's this going to work?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

Rubby De LaRosa threw a scoreless inning last night for Chattanooga, and is currently sporting an era of 0.00 in a very small sample size in his comeback from Tommy John surgery. Apparently he hit 97 the night the Red Sox watched him. Meanwhile on the home front, Mauro Gomez just won the International League MVP for 2012, so maybe we won't have to look too far for our 1B for next year. We'll also have some money available to go out and get FAs late in the signing period when there are usually some bargains to be had. It looks to me like young Ben might have learned more about running a baseball team from the Duke than he did Theo. Factor in that one of Linares, Bradley or Bogaerts could emerge as a major leaguer in spring training and the future might not be so bleak as you think sy my old friend.
    Posted by carnie

Hey monsieur...If de La Rosa comes around and pitches well in the Bigs, then that is significant and would make me a lot less upset if I were a Red Sox fan...As you know, I am with Yaz and Alibike, but apparently most Red Sox fans love the trade...What do I know??? I'm a Yankee fan...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

I was happy with Gonzo
    Going to be patient with Crawford
    Hoped that Beckett had an off year and would rebound.
    Guess that the Dodger FO felt the same way.

This forum obsessed for years about obtaining Gonzo.
    Wanted Beckett extended ASAP
    Were delighted with the CC signing.
    This forum gets obsessed each NOv. with signing the most expensive FA out there.

Sadly the forum also believes the every word that the media dreams up to sell newspapers and get talk show ratings. They love gossip.

Sections
Shortcuts