Prepare to enjoy watching the Red Sox behind as a seasonal ritual

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: Prepare to enjoy watching the Red Sox behind as a seasonal ritual

In Response to Re: Prepare to enjoy watching the Red Sox behind as a seasonal ritual:
    [QUOTE]I'd rather a team without whinin' rats. _________________________________ Curt Schilling Deadbeat Fraud Clown
    Posted by bellhorn_[/QUOTE]

If it gets rid of the whining fans, it might be just fine.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In Response to Re: Prepare to enjoy watching the Red Sox behind as a seasonal ritual:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Prepare to enjoy watching the Red Sox behind as a seasonal ritual : If it gets rid of the whining fans, it might be just fine.
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

It should weed out the pink hats. Thats for sure.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]If Henry and Co cut payroll and put the money back in their pockets....no good and unacceptable.  They need to take these "savings" and make some intelligent acquisitions and resignings. _________________________________ Curt Schilling Deadbeat Fraud Clown
    Posted by bellhorn_[/QUOTE]

I can't agree with you more this time, MarkyMark

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Prepare to enjoy watching the Red Sox behind as a seasonal ritual:
    [QUOTE]I am not a fan of the trade, if it comes through. I will be glad to be wrong.  I know the tream has been 66-86 since a certain time last season, but ... I do recognize CC never panned out.  A great personal disappointment to me.  I know Josh has had a hard season.    A-Gon being gone will be hard to take .... I just have a really bad fealing. For once ... I am really negative. 

I agree.

This will go down as one of the worst trades the Sox ever made, all because of irrational hatred by Sox fans.

Gonzalez will have an MVP-type season next year. It's not worth losing that kind of production just to get rid of Beckett. And Crawford I would bet will be close to his Rays days. He was playing well in his brief stint this year.

Cherington was STUPID to succumb to the mob mentality that exists in Sox Nation.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

LL engineered this, make no mistake. It was a genius PR move by the FO to once again get the fans to somehow love the FO. Roy, you and I differ on a lot of things. I completely believe BV has been a major reason why the team has fallen to pieces. I'm in the minority. But it is incredible how many Sox fans I know here and abroad who are celebrating getting rid of quality players. They don't get it. The Sox offense is terrible as it is--and here's the best part---FREE AGENTS, AS BV SAID, WILL NOT WANT TO COME HERE. THEY SEE THE CIRCUS, THEY WILL TALK TO THE BECKETTS, THE AGONS, THE YOUKILISES, THE CRAWFORDS, AND THEY WILL NOT COME, OH NO RAY, THEY WON'T COME. THERE IS NO FIELD OF DREAMS, ONLY A FENWAY THAT WILL SOON HEAR CRICKETS, LIKE MUCH OF THE 1950s and 1960s.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

I get the clearing salary part of this (John Henry might finally be able to buy or rent a striker for Liverpool now).  But they are talking James Loney, Rubby de Rosa (Tommy John just 13 months ago). and prospects de Jesus, Webster and Sands for Crawford (yes, I remember he just had surgery), A-Gon. Beckett and Nick Punto (who I think is underrated as a back-up defensive 3rd baseman even if he is a light career .247 hitter). How could the MLB Commissioners Office approve such an obvious salary dump.....To me, if this is approved, this represents one of the worst and most embarrassing trrades in MLB history....A-Gon is an All-Star, Beckett will likely out-Burnett AJ once he hits the NL, and most likely Crawford will prove all the CC haters largely wrong..
         I am with Since Yaz...While I can see unloading Beckett, the remainder of this trade is absurd...I would be livid if the Yanks ever did something like this...The fact that so much of RSN embraces it is beyond me...Truly beyond me...James Loney and Rubby de Rosa....Yikes...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]LL engineered this, make no mistake. It was a genius PR move by the FO to once again get the fans to somehow love the FO. Roy, you and I differ on a lot of things. I completely believe BV has been a major reason why the team has fallen to pieces. I'm in the minority. But it is incredible how many Sox fans I know here and abroad who are celebrating getting rid of quality players. They don't get it. The Sox offense is terrible as it is--and here's the best part---FREE AGENTS, AS BV SAID, WILL NOT WANT TO COME HERE. THEY SEE THE CIRCUS, THEY WILL TALK TO THE BECKETTS, THE AGONS, THE YOUKILISES, THE CRAWFORDS, AND THEY WILL NOT COME, OH NO RAY, THEY WON'T COME. THERE IS NO FIELD OF DREAMS, ONLY A FENWAY THAT WILL SOON HEAR CRICKETS, LIKE MUCH OF THE 1950s and 1960s.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

We differ on some stuff but we agree on a lot too.

I think Bobby V. is part of the problem and don't want him back, but I don't think he's the main reason for this season.

The fact is, the Sox NEVER had their regular lineup for one game. I think that has been a huge factor. Add that to Lester picking the wrong year to have a bad year and and Bailey's injury screwing up the planned bullpen and this season turned into a perfect storm of problems.

Blowing up the team to me was the tremendous overreaction. I would have brought in a new manager and coaches and done some tweaking, but I would ahve built the team around an IF of A-Gon, Middlebrooks and Pedroia.

I think the hatred aimed at Beckett and Lackey, who didn't even pitch this year and pitched all of last year with a bum elbow, reached an irrational level.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

"irrational hatred" royf19 ??? What is it with people using words like:

Bigot
    Ignorant
    Hatred

???

Is that really a fair word (hatred) to use for fans who want Beckett gone? Who want Crawford moved out?

Man if we can make this happen and we are not paying the salaries then what more could you ask for.

I am really tired of people using words like "hate, bigot, ignorant"... no wonder people don't get along.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

you never know
    what'll happen

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]"irrational hatred" royf19  ??? What is it with people using words like: Bigot Ignorant Hatred ??? Is that really a fair word (hatred) to use for fans who want Beckett gone? Who want Crawford moved out? Man if we can make this happen and we are not paying the salaries then what more could you ask for. I am really tired of people using words like "hate, bigot, ignorant"... no wonder people don't get along.
    Posted by EnchiladaT[/QUOTE]

Have you  not been reading or listening. Someone posting or calling in to a talk show and specifically saying or writing, "I hate Beckett," has been a constant since last September.

It's one thing to want Crawford out because of his contract or Beckett for whatever reason. But the hystreria has been out of control.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Sorry but I don't listen to those people. I doubt the FO listens to those VERY VERY FEW morons who rant like that. If they were a mob they would number about 10 persons.... 

No worries, I am just tired of those nasty words being used every day in the media and by posters. 

I will miss AGon.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I thought CC looked pretty good in his time here this year. I accepted that he could come back and do an 18, 80, .280 and maybe even steal 35 SBs. AGON is just a superior talent who got nothing but horrible hatred from fans over his religion, over his quotes, and over his lack of power in the 1st half of this year (I admit I ripped him then too, but it's about performance, not confidence. I pretty much figured he woud go on a binge--and did he ever...40 RBI in a month/few days time...)...Beckett? I can't defend him. But this whole celebrating and making it seem like the Sox are free of the cancer is disgusting. BV is as much a problem as anyone, and created obvious dissension in the clubhouse--it's clear. AGON did not care for him. He signed on for a Tito type and he got this jerk. This team and its fans have become an all-time joke. I've lost respect for a lot of posters who I thought wanted the Sox to win--but really just want to STICK IT TO THE PLAYERS. Whatever...I care about this team, and I care about the players--and the fans care about who goes to funerals and who eats chicken and beer, and care about how the players are somehow f-ing them...

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

The team will be better next year if they make this deal.  If they don't make this deal - you will experience the exact same garbage AGAIN for the 3rd straight year.

Why anyone would want that is beyond reason.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Prepare to enjoy watching the Red Sox behind as a seasonal ritual : Have you  not been reading or listening. Someone posting or calling in to a talk show and specifically saying or writing, "I hate Beckett," has been a constant since last September. It's one thing to want Crawford out because of his contract or Beckett for whatever reason. But the hystreria has been out of control.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Roy,

The fans who are stridently against someone or something don't recognize their ardent presentations to the negative as ... negative or hateful.  As I said to one of our fellow posters when mentioned that they love the Sox as much as we do, they are just expressing their view ... I said if I expressed my love for my wife the same way, I'd soon be alone. 

The collapse last season only validated the harshness, as far as they were concerned.  It only got worse thru this season.

As far as I'm concerned, as you mentioned, never having the line up expected is a huge reason for the frustration.  Lester/Beckett are key to it as well.  

But ... now the exoectations wil be so low, any thing above .400 will be seen as a success ....

I hope I am wrong. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to "Prepare to enjoy watching the Red Sox behind as a seasonal ritual": [QUOTE]I am not a fan of the trade, if it comes through. I will be glad to be wrong.  I know the tream has been 66-86 since a certain time last season, but ... I do recognize CC never panned out.  A great personal disappointment to me.  I know Josh has had a hard season.    A-Gon being gone will be hard to take .... I just have a really bad fealing. For once ... I am really negative.  Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE] This will be hard to take. Not a fan of the CC acquisition either, but he WAS starting to show promise. Trading Gonzalez is a mistake.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]I get the clearing salary part of this (John Henry might finally be able to buy or rent a striker for Liverpool now). 

Funny ...painfully so

But they are talking James Loney (oy), Rubby de Rosa (Tommy John just 13 months ago)  (but a possible first line starter). and prospects de Jesus, Webster  (signed from high school as a shortstop and converted to pitcher - HEY, MAYBE WE FINALLY GOT OUR SHORTSTOP!!!!!)  and Sands (I've heard 3 commentators say, slow, lumbering, clumbsy, good power and not high BA ...gotta love that)

for Crawford (yes, I remember he just had surgery), A-Gon. Beckett and Nick Punto (who I think is underrated as a back-up defensive 3rd baseman even if he is a light career .247 hitter).

How could the MLB Commissioners Office approve such an obvious salary dump  (Let's see, the commish's office or MLB has owned/controlled Texas - instant penants 2 years in a row; the Nats - all of a sudden owning NLE after years of stinking; the Dodgers - who have cherry picked HanRam and the Flyin Hawaiian ... and now this...???  )  .....To me, if this is approved, this represents one of the worst and most embarrassing trrades in MLB history....A-Gon is an All-Star, Beckett will likely out-Burnett AJ once he hits the NL, and most likely Crawford will prove all the CC haters largely wrong..  (Yup, yup and yup)    I am with Since Yaz...

While I can see unloading Beckett, the remainder of this trade is absurd...I would be livid if the Yanks ever did something like this...The fact that so much of RSN embraces it is beyond me...Truly beyond me (exactly how I feel, OMG - all I can say is I hope I am really, really wrong) ...James Loney and Rubby de Rosa....Yikes...  
    Posted by GreenPartyCelt[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

But it is incredible how many Sox fans I know here and abroad who are celebrating getting rid of quality players. They don't get it. The Sox offense is terrible as it is--and here's the best part-

I'm usually on the same page as you, Roy and Yaz, but I have to part ways on this one.

CC improved, but I think his stats are kind of covering up his still horrible K/W of 22/3.

I'm not sure Beckett is coming back to his vintage form.

And I don't think posters are going to like the last 2-3 years of Gonzo's contract.

But here's the thing.  I think the people that are against the trade are looking for a return to glory for all three players.  CC has a .785.  Adrian has an .812.  Beckett has a 5.23.

Everyone likes to think that their players are going to revert back to form, but at the ages of 30,30, and 32, it is also possible that we've captured their best years, and now they are going to slowly deteriorate.  

I like the players, but the back end of their contracts, particularly the $42M you'll be paying Gonzo and CC 5 years from now, looks like a huge liability.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaycoach. Show jaycoach's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Prepare to enjoy watching the Red Sox behind as a seasonal ritual :

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]But it is incredible how many Sox fans I know here and abroad who are celebrating getting rid of quality players. They don't get it. The Sox offense is terrible as it is--and here's the best part- I'm usually on the same page as you, Roy and Yaz, but I have to part ways on this one. CC improved, but I think his stats are kind of covering up his still horrible K/W of 22/3. I'm not sure Beckett is coming back to his vintage form. And I don't think posters are going to like the last 2-3 years of Gonzo's contract. But here's the thing.  I think the people that are against the trade are looking for a return to glory for all three players.  CC has a .785.  Adrian has an .812.  Beckett has a 5.23. Everyone likes to think that their players are going to revert back to form, but at the ages of 30,30, and 32, it is also possible that we've captured their best years, and now they are going to slowly deteriorate.   I like the players, but the back end of their contracts, particularly the $42M you'll be paying Gonzo and CC 5 years from now, looks like a huge liability.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

Joe,

I respect your opinion.  Most often level headed and wise. I can only hope you are right.

You are correct in thinking I'm assuming that Josh and Carl would return to form.  In both cases, though, I thnk it is more in their heads than in the skill set.  

Josh may be has lost his velocity .... and is unwilling to face that.

But Adrian is and always has been a streaky player.   Looonngg streaks. So I wasn't too worried about his coming around.   And he did...even his power was coming back some.  

Punto was the real culprit ... j/k

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Yaz, when you've got both moon and JoeB endorsing this wholeheartedly, you should feel pretty comfortable about it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

I respect those concerned, but I think too many are treating AGON like Manny, when Manny was Manny. Agon is no Manny. And AGON is replacable. (And I honestly think Agon did not want to be in Boston, so move him out). Replace  Agon with who I am not so sure, but I am not too concerned either. 

Actually, let's just go back a few yrs when YOUK was thriving at 1st base, Beltre was excellent at 3rd and Victor was great to have behind the plate. To me, that is when this team(SOX management) went wrong. Trying to compete with the likes of the Yanks in spending. That is not possible. So many bad contracts and now they have a chance to rid themselves of those contracts. If they could only throw in Lackey too.

I think this will work out well for both teams. I know I will never here the end of it when Beckett pitches well in NL. But that is expected. And how much longer can the Sox wait for CC to actually play up to his contract? Never. And Agon will thrive in the NL for sure.

The Sox needed to do something to spark this team. They needed to do something to appease the fanbase. They needed to do something and they are trying by freeing up tons of money. I am all for it. And I think it will work out for both teams down the road.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

On balance, bringing in hired guns has been a bad policy for this team. Chemistry has usually been a problem. This may be the best move the team has made since they traded for Martinez.

I look forward to watching a team built on good pitching, speed, guys who can get the bat on the ball when there are men on 2nd and 3rd.

I think Iglasius, Ciriaco, Middlebrooks, Lavanway, Ellsbury, Pedroia, Buchholz and "pitchers yet to be determined" will be the basis for this team to be a playoff contender in 2013, and a division contender in 2014.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

We are going to have to ride the wave of mediocrity for awhile. I mean these team is done for the next two years.