Price and Archer vs Ortiz

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Price and Archer vs Ortiz

Do not look now but yet another Ray's pitcher is crying about the so call bat flip... All I saw was Ortiz tossing the bat towards the bench...

Also, Archer was caught on camera kissing his biceps when he struck on Nava not too long ago... Is that not showboating? 

So much for not crying in baseball!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: Price and Archer vs Ortiz

In response to chickenandboose's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Do not look now but yet another Ray's pitcher is crying about the so call bat flip... All I saw was Ortiz tossing the bat towards the bench...

Also, Archer was caught on camera kissing his biceps when he struck on Nava not too long ago... Is that not showboating? 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement] The showboating is all a part of the modern day athlete.  I think  it started with Muhammad Ali, who has admitted that he stole it from pro wrestler's routines. Professional sports are all a part of the entertainment industry. There is controversy in it. There is money in it. We may or may not like it. Just don't be hypocritical about it. If it is okay for Ortiz, it is okay for others, and vice versa. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

‏@PeteAbe
    This is the guy who criticized David Ortiz for being a showboat. Can’t escape YouTube, @ChrisArcher42: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zn7b3ODPjA … #redsox #rays

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

yup j bay, dale & C&B archer definitely is being hypocritical

but not my boy CHB ;-)

Dan Shaughnessy @Dan_Shaughnessy
    Would love to have seen Ortiz' first at-bat after homering and flipping his bat vs. Bob Gibson.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete AbrahamVerified account
    ‏@PeteAbe
    Ortiz on Archer: "Players in today’s game are too sensitive about things … I think he’s a good pitcher; I think he’s got great stuff."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

August series should be fun to watch....

other names i have posted under:  none

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

but not my boy CHB ;-)

Would love to have seen Ortiz' first at-bat after homering and flipping his bat vs. Bob Gibson.

[/QUOTE]

There's no one pitching today who could carry Gibson's resin bag.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]

but not my boy CHB ;-)

[/QUOTE]

They didnt do that stuff in 1968, so this crack is senseless.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

but not my boy CHB ;-)

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Disagree

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

but not my boy CHB ;-)

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

senseless crack or the point

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Gibson also wouldn't whining to the press about it, after the game.

I love the smell of asphalt in the morning.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

‏@PeteAbe
    This is the guy who criticized David Ortiz for being a showboat. Can’t escape YouTube, @ChrisArcher42: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zn7b3ODPjA" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zn7b3ODPjA … #redsox #rays

[/QUOTE]

Once Pete Abraham says anything slightly controversial about Ortiz, it will give tweets like this SOME legitimacy. He defends him when he's bad, defends him when he plays bad, defends him when he acts like an a s s, and trumpets him when he's doing well. It's ok for FANS to act like that, media personnel ought to conduct themselves a little differently.

And, yes, the pitcher is also a dk.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to chickenandboose's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Had Ortiz did that playing for Tampa would those losers complain then ?  Sox are pissed about season and frustration is settling in . Tampa needs to shut up or Ortiz bat just might end up someone's AZZ

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Ortiz launched it, watched it, and bat flipped.  Good for him.  Now maybe Archer will talk to Price about not head hunting.  He also barked something into the dugout after the bat flip.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

[QUOTE]

but not my boy CHB ;-)

[/QUOTE]

Would love to see the CHB have the guts to say that to a players face.  But Danny hides behind his tweets and columns, way too afraid to actually go into a locker room.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBruinss. Show BostonBruinss's posts

The Rays will never win the World Series.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaysofYaz. Show DaysofYaz's posts

In response to BostonBruinss' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1...And THAT is the ultimate flip 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to DaysofYaz's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

the next time Papi hits one out against either one of these whiners he needs to stop at 2nd base and take a power nap.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to DaysofYaz's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

the next time Papi hits one out against either one of these whiners he needs to stop at 2nd base and take a power nap.

[/QUOTE]

Next time he hits one against Archer, he should jump out of batting box, do a fist pump then kiss his bicep -- just like Archer did when he struck out Nava last year with the bases loaded.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Or the next time any Sox player homers against Archer, he should to do that (above post).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Archer can go on the "HIT ME" BOARD....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Baseball needs more David Ortiz bat-flips, not fewer

By Peter Abraham

David Ortiz hit a long home run on Sunday against Tampa Bay and flung his bat off to the side and slowly trotted around the bases.
    ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Before Bud Selig retires as baseball’s commissioner, he should write a memo and have it posted in every clubhouse announcing that it’s perfectly fine to have some fun on the field.

David Ortiz hit a long home run on Sunday against Tampa Bay and flung his bat off to the side and slowly trotted around the bases. Ortiz had a home run snatched away by a fan on Saturday, so he enjoyed it seeing the ball fly into the seats

On the Ortiz scale, the celebration was a solid six out of 10. But the Rays reacted like Big Papi spat in their dugout on the way to first base.

“I hope he realizes there’s more that goes into it than just him,” said Chris Archer, the pitcher who allowed the home run. “I don’t know, I feel like you can’t say that your true character is defined by one action but multiple actions speak to who you are.”

This would be the same Chris Archer who once struck out Daniel Nava, glared at him, and kissed his right biceps. Talk about contrived anger.

The larger point is that baseball needs to loosen up. Football, basketball, hockey, and soccer players celebrate their success all the time without fear of physical retribution or character assassination. Why do baseball players have to be so restrained?

The unwritten rules are senseless. Walk-off home runs can be celebrated like it’s New Year’s Eve in Las Vegas, but a home run in the eighth inning can’t be. Pitchers can pump their fist and jump of the mound after the third out, but not the second. It’s all so sill

Baseball is losing younger fans and putting people to sleep with long games and hitters who need 20 seconds between pitches so they can adjust their batting gloves for the 43d time. Ortiz is a fun player to watch, so let him have fun. Let pitchers point at hitters the way Dennis Eckersley used to. Let an outfielder like Jackie Bradley Jr. high-five a teammate if he makes a great catch.

Here’s a crazy idea: If Ortiz flipping his bat bothers you that much, strike him out next time then tip your cap to him. Otherwise, keep quiet.

Sections
Shortcuts