1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: PRIDE NIGHT

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

This is such a useless thread, there is nothing in here that has not been said a billion times over the past 25 years.... move on.

Bigots have to be called out Burrito, wherever they exist.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Bigots use terms like "gay" to describe same-sex sexual proclivity & behavior. Bigots falsely equate behavior with skin pigmentation and physical identity. Bigots use terms like "straight".

Bigots insist on a monlithic propaganda narrtive under the pretense of controlling what terms and language are "acceptable".

Bigots defile natural law and want class legal rights for a particular subjecive behavior.  

I've yet to see a dictionary have this particular definition

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

Bigots use terms like "gay" to describe same-sex sexual proclivity & behavior. Bigots falsely equate behavior with skin pigmentation and physical identity. Bigots use terms like "straight".

Bigots insist on a monlithic propaganda narrtive under the pretense of controlling what terms and language are "acceptable".

Bigots defile natural law and want class legal rights for a particular subjecive behavior.  

I've yet to see a dictionary have this particular definition

Softlaw has his own dictionary....published by la la land drivelhouse. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

not to be crude but i still cant get over the angst people have about which holes are utlized...who gives a flying funk? as far as desecrating the institution of marriage, i have done that more than 99% of gay folks with my serial marriage behavior...

As always - 100% correct!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to ImagydFanBoston-Twitter's comment:

In response to jete02fan's comment:

how appropriate, i couldnt b more proud of this team right about now. pedy is the man at sec, when u get walked so they can face papi with the money on the table, you'e become a somebody. glad to c the sawx ahead of the cure on gay rights as well (esp considering this team's past). to have jason collins throw out the ball on gay pride night (LBGT) says it all! was all about pride, theirs and ours as sox fan... this team is on to something! all starts with pride and passion, doesnt cost much.you should b able to control that part.

wasn't aware that they are doctors, or that is was a disease......good to know Sealed

clearly meant CURVE!

Funny how a single letter makes so much of a difference.

Glad for the clarity (no pun intended.)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Marriage predates religion; that should end he converstaion right there.

By the way some in here talk.....you'd think they were in the westboro baptist church.  Cowards were chased out of my own last December. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

Hmmm..... There is religious freedom in this country?  Really?  What about that baker who doesn't want to bake a wedding cake for a homosexual couple?  They have reported him and he is facing charges that may put him in jail with hundreds of dollars in fines.  He is by far not the only one who has to face these charges.

[/QUOTE]

Of course there is religious freedom in this country. Do you understand religious freedom as described in the Constitution? It guarantees people not only freedom of religion ( to worship and believe without interference from government)...but also it guarantees freedom from religion. This means that someone can't be forced to abide by another's religious beliefs in society.

So you are free to have your beliefs and to worship and practice your faith. But...when you become an business owner and you allow those beliefs to dictate your business policy and deny someone a service based on sexual preference, race, etc...then that become discrimimation and in civil society, business is not allowed to discriminate.

I never understand people who force religious beliefs on society as a whole. My faith is something that is personal to me. I don't require that everyone around me think as I do..or believe what I do.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

I find it strange that there needs to be a "gay pride" night anywhere...any more than an "African American pride" anything either. Why should people be proud of a characteristic they are born with? I can understand being proud that you are honest, generous, loyal etc, but not proud about something over which you have no control at all.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

That's an easy one, Pumpsie:  As long as evil bigots like 67redsox and Softy are spewing their filthy hatred and lies there needs to be positive events like Gay Pride night to address them.

Herein lies a problem. 

Broad strokes ....  and they are made by both or all sides of the issues of bigotry, racism and human perspective.

For so long, while I was growing up, the most hated individual was a person called a male WASP.  Both in America and in the world abroad, if we are to believe what was bandied about in those days. 

And by simple visual examination from afar and near, I was that individual. I appeared to be that same and singular person.  Bigots abound. 

From early childhood, I worked hard to deal with people as people, bring civil rights to those whom had not yet achieved equality - whatever that is.  But it was abundantly clear equal rights were not equally provided or assured, so I took the sword in hand .  It was a direct response to the way I was raised.  My parents loved people.  Period.  Dad taught us there was only one race, the human race.  Why?  Because they believed with all their hearts that God loved every person on earth, so much so that He gave us His only  born Son to being the possibility of setting things right – by loving people so they might indeed know of this loving God and become warmly, closely, and intimately related to Him in a life changing way.  My mother, born in the hospital that the Yanquis tore down to build the first Yanqui Stadium, lived among the pulse and din of NYC growing up, was called to bring this message to the tens of millions in India.  My father, who was a teacher in upstate NY before going on to further schooling in ministry, found favor with this calling and followed Mom “over there” (Of course, after they were married … it was 1944 ….) And brought the message of God’s love to people who in large part hated each other for centuries (Muslims and Hindus).

Again, broad strokes here and therefore all sorts of issues arise.  Before you start to pick apart the story for individual perks or stances, know this, my parents went to bring the good news of God’s love, not the “must be American-ized first” and then God’s love.  

I tell this story to illuminate the fact that I am most fortunate to have had extraordinary parents who lived in the framework of “God is love.   And we must be those who love as He does.“ 

Yet, from a distance, all many could say to me, accuse me of was being a WASP. 

First of all, being a WHITE Anglo-Saxon Protestant is sort of double kill.  And it is very racist.  It is assuming from view that all of “us” are “tem.”   How many Anglo-Saxons do you know that aren’t white?  If the rule of race is one drop of blood makes you something, i.e., if you are one drop black, you are black (then, why isn’t Obama also white?  He is half white?)  I am Native American, under those rules.

I was born in another country, Bangladesh (East Pakistan, then) and never saw the States until a dark, foggy morning in June 1961 as we sailed into NY harbor, the Statue of Liberty  holding up her torch for all to see.  I was 5 and a half.  But my parents were American, so I was Pakistani-American … and if you throw in the rest of my heritage I was Anglo-Saxon, German, Polish, French, Welsh, Scottish, Irish and Native American (and probably a mix of a lot of other.     But I was simply a WASP later in life as people looked at me and made bigoted decisions from the first blink of an eye. 

But I am just simply human.  All the titles and labels we put on each other just harm us. 

When I was 15, we moved from NH to FL, a year after the schools had been desegregated.  There were a lot of fights between blacks and whites.  I never got into one as a white, refusing to stand up for “our” people.  When asked by one kid, also 15, his family recently moved there from Louisiana, with a name that was so Cajun, yet so French, … Bourgeois … that when I asked him if he knew he likely had Spanish, native American and even African-American blood lines, he grew red faced with anger and tapped his boot, where he had a shank.  I did join a school sponsored club that worked to develop bridges and understanding between cultures – note I didn’t say race.   I believe in only one race, as stated before, the human race.

Yet, because I appeared white, even with a very healthy tan, I was jumped a few times in the school halls.  One night, three weeks after moving to Florida, I came out of the football Fieldhouse after the JV game …. And was chased by a mob of black kids.  (I assume they were kids.  Believe me, I didn’t stop to check once they started to run at me.  I BOOKED!!!)

All this to say, as I run out of time, I am essentially supporting Pumpsie here – when do we treat people as people instead of always making a time for this group – essentially in your face – v. that group.

Am I blind to inhumane treatment.  Not for a second.   But I am tired of special stuff.   Martin Luther King Day?  Sure.   Washington and Lincoln days?  Sure.  My group v. your group days?  I tire ….

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

LOL!! 

Hill, it was supposed to be funny!  Loosen up, man.  Life is too short.

It was indeed funny! It just reminded me of a documentary film about a former quarterback who took a female partner to a high school reunion even after his/now-her surgical sex change.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

It is terrible that anyone is killed anywhere in the world for something that is not a crime. But how many Christians are killed in the United States each year because of their faith? We are only talking about what happens here. Our country is rightly and strongly opposed to Christian persecution in other countries and of cours here as well. Our country stands as a beacon of tolerance and I am proud of that. There is much more chance of persecution of religions other than Christianity in this country.

Hmmm..... There is religious freedom in this country?  Really?  What about that baker who doesn't want to bake a wedding cake for a homosexual couple?  They have reported him and he is facing charges that may put him in jail with hundreds of dollars in fines.  He is by far not the only one who has to face these charges.

I was a vendor in the wedding industry for years.  When dc passed same sex marriage myself as well any many christians and a jewish friend were afraid, yes afraid.

Do we stand firm in our beliefs, if so will we be thrown in jail, fined, lose our business?  Some of you disagree with my beliefs, you think I'm holier than thou etc.  If you knew me you would know how silly that statement is.

Many, the majority in 31 states, feel as I do. I do not believe in same sex marriage, I have strong religious beliefs.  If you think I'm wrong so be it.  If I have to die for my beliefs like those overseas I will. 

If you think that type of behavior won't happen here. Have you been reading these threads. Have you read the vile names I have been called, I have been liken to hitler. Yes, hitler. Wow!

What names have I called people here, who have I likened to hitler.  I believe marriage is between a man and a women, how is that spewing hate at those this ssad.

I am enjoying my freedoms now, I don't know how long I will have them.

[/QUOTE]

There is absolutely no evidence to support your view that we will be losing religious freedom here. Baking cakes has nothing to do with practicing religion. Where is the evidence of people being jailed for holding certain beliefs or gathering for religious activities? Name calling on a chat board is quite common and cowardly. I do my best to refrain from it. I don't think the name callers have any particular ability to change the laws of our nation or alter the Constitution. I try to keep my discussions from becoming personal because that weakens your argument. I sincerely think you are over-reacting to certain incidents involving businesses. They will not lead to any sort of persecution of religion or limiting of the rights we are guarnteed in the Constitution. If you think we have a right to choose who to do business then this is a different issue. Should a Jewish run business be allowed to sell only to Jews or shoud an atheist business have the right to exclude theists? This is an entirely different debate. Shoud someone have to confess all their wrong doings before being allowed to buy something from a business? This is not a religious issue, it is a civil rights issue. Selling a cake to a homosexual couple is not tantamount to supporting their sinfulness. Catholicism teaches that we are all sinners, so who would be left to sell to? What if they refused to sell cakes to idolaters, thieves, liars, cheaters? They are probably already unknowingly doing this. That certainly doesn't mean they approve of those sins.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to SinceYaz's comment:

All this to say, as I run out of time, I am essentially supporting Pumpsie here – when do we treat people as people instead of always making a time for this group – essentially in your face – v. that group.

Am I blind to inhumane treatment.  Not for a second.   But I am tired of special stuff.   Martin Luther King Day?  Sure.   Washington and Lincoln days?  Sure.  My group v. your group days?  I tire ….

Just because you are tired of it does not mean it is not needed. And it is not about my group vs. your group. It is about pride in my group and asserting our place as equals in society. It will end when all people accept each other as equals. Did that happen already? Did I miss something?

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

A private business can refuse to do business with a customer for almost any reason at all. And subjective behavior and body politic marital status does not rise above the 2nd and 5th Amendment guarantees of individual liberty.

Almost any reason? And what reasons are not allowed? Please be specific. 

Edit: Also, for further clarification, what constitutes a private business?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to ms_obstinate's comment:

In response to Potomac87's comment:

how appropriate, i couldnt b more proud of this team right about now. pedy is the man at sec, when u get walked so they can face papi with the money on the table, you'e become a somebody. glad to c the sawx ahead of the cure on gay rights as well (esp considering this team's past). to have jason collins throw out the ball on gay pride night (LBGT) says it all! was all about pride, theirs and ours as sox fan... this team is on to something! all starts with pride and passion, doesnt cost much.you should b able to control that part.

Why didn't you post this?

http://www.christianpost.com/news/boston-red-soxs-fenway-park-to-host-gay-pride-night-prelude-to-gay-pride-parade-97452/

Why are you calling Fenway? Are you a homophobe? 

Just trying to get an idea of what I'm dealing with here.

She is really, really dumb for starters.  And, obviously, a bigot.  She is unable to grasp the fact that her beliefs are just that....i.e. just hers, and just beliefs.  She is unable to grasp the fact that no one has the right to not be offended.  Ad nauseum.  Don't bother debating with her, she will not be able to understand and will simply cower behind her paranoia about being persecuted about her religion.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

A private business can refuse to do business with a customer for almost any reason at all. And subjective behavior and body politic marital status does not rise above the 2nd and 5th Amendment guarantees of individual liberty.

If you ran a business this way, you would be served lawsuits, and while I'm not a legal expert, I'm guessing it would most likely not end well. Otherwise, expect many responses on this interpretation.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

In response to ampoule's comment:

LOL!! 

Hill, it was supposed to be funny!  Loosen up, man.  Life is too short.

It was indeed funny!It just reminded me of a documentary film about a former quarterback who took a female partner to a high school reunion even after his/now-her surgical sex change.

Oops....Sorry, Hill....:)   I'll have to check out that documentary.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

I believe the discussion was about HIRING policies, not who a business chooses to serve or not serve. I could not care less if a business refuses service to me; no business is the only show in town. What is unethical is that in this country so many states still allow businesses to refuse to hire gay individuals soley because they are gay even if that individual is the most qualified person to do the job and that gay individuals or couples can legally be refused a rental contract just because of the fact that they are gay or that committed gay couples are denied ALL the benefits that heterosexual married couples enjoy. There is no cogent arguement that can be made that can justify that kind of bigotry. Period.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I love how people can preach their prejudice and hate then try to act like they are the victims when that illicits a response.  You can't cry foul for being called a bigot when in fact you are a bigot.  That's the problem though; do you really think bigots know they are bigots? If someone says "all black people are poor, dishonest and will rob you" that's not racist to them because in their minds it's true. 

You can't preach hate and the say you stand for love....if you can, then while we are making @$@$@$ up I mine as well be Master supreme commander of the Jedi force.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Very true, especially the part about skin pigmentation and physical identity. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

Almost any reason? And what reasons are not allowed? Please be specific. 

Edit: Also, for further clarification, what constitutes a private business?

I really dislike taking Softy's side in anything but in this case he's right.  Those people who can't be discriminated against are what are called, "protected classes".  While some are guaranteed protection under federal law (Race, creed, color, national origin come to mind immediately) several states also have protected classes, sexual preference being one of them.

A business owner can refuse to do business with anyone not in a "protected class" as that owner sees fit.  For example, a store owner can legally refuse to do business with someone who has facial hair and be very succinct as to why they're not doing business with that person.  However, they can't refuse to do business with an Asian because of that person's race. 

Where this has become a sticky subject in the past is when a store owner refuses to do business with an Asian with facial hair, claiming it's the hair that te owner doesn't like.  That's when the courts step in and decide whether there's justification for the owner's bias toward people with facial hair, and if the court finds on reason for the bias they court then assumes that the real reason is because of the Asian's skin color. 

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts