Prince Fielder: nine-years, $214 million

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Prince Fielder: nine-years, $214 million

Am I the only person who thinks this is insane?

And that the Tigers are crazy for doing this?

And what happens when V-Mart returns - if he returns - to the Tigers?

Or should we care because it's not our money, or the Red Sox' money, or even Liverpool's money?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Prince Fielder: nine-years, $214 million

I think it's insane.  As another poster pointed out, the Tigers have a lot of room under the LT threshold, mainly because of their cheap young starters after Verlander.  But 9 years at 24 million for a guy who should be a DH in a few years is crazy.  The lure of these blockbuster free agents seems as strong as ever no matter how many of them fail.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arodswallows. Show Arodswallows's posts

what I dont get is, there was no market for him, why go all this far to get him??

110M for 5 could/should/would have been enough

Boras does it again, he only needed 1 sucker

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

They will regret it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

What is incredable is to think they now have a rotating DH/1B combo that is good for 80 homers and 250 ribbies... both players seldom get injured is a plus.  This means VMart will have to be moved unless they want him to catch full-time in 2013.

WOW!~

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

When Martinez comes back thats three guys, that in reality, can only play first or DH at an adequate level, making $12 million, $19 million, and $24 million respectively.  That's crazy.  I've heard talk of Cabrera shifting to third, and that would be an adventure.  I just don't get it.  Martinez won't be the catcher, they have Avila, who unless he regresses, is an all-star caliber catcher.  Cabrera won't DH, nor should he, considering he has another contract to work for.  Martinez and Fielder are in all likelihood done after these contracts.  Cabrera will be 32. 

But solely for this year, with a 3-4 combo of Fielder and Cabrera, Verlander could challenge for 30 wins. He won what 24 games last season?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In Response to Prince Fielder: nine-years, $214 million:
    Am I the only person who thinks this is insane? And that the Tigers are crazy for doing this? And what happens when V-Mart returns - if he returns - to the Tigers? Or should we care because it's not our money, or the Red Sox' money, or even Liverpool's money?
    Posted by summerof67

My thoughts exactly. While lineup is improved even w/ Vmart out. What happens when he returns. They couldn't be serious about moving Cabrerra back to 3b or OF? Not sure they're a WS favorite w/ this move, be in contention. Thing I don't like is you now have 3 big slow terrible defensive players in the same lineup. Think Detroit will regret this move.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

has anyone seen who the Tigers were bidding against? I was under the impression that the M's and Rangers had dropped out.
    Is it so far feteched the Tigers have tired of Cabera and will move him at some point?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Thanks to all for posting and letting me rant.

Tigers and Angels went on a shopping spree this off-season. Guess what?  Getting to the Wild Card is going to be more difficult this year than in year's past, and the Wild Card might not even come from the AL East.

Ben C must be contemplating this even as we speak.

At least, I hope he is.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Prince Fielder: nine-years, $214 million:
    What is incredable is to think they now have a rotating DH/1B combo that is good for 80 homers and 250 ribbies... both players seldom get injured is a plus.  This means VMart will have to be moved unless they want him to catch full-time in 2013. WOW!~
    Posted by BurritoT

Not necessarily.  As ludicrous as the notion sounds, rumor is that they are moving Cabrera back to (hold for the LOL) third base.  hahahaha.  hHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

That will be wonderfull with Cabrera at 3rd.  I hope he is still playing there when the Sox play them.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

I can't remember any of these long term, over paid contract working out for the entire contract.  Definately a win now move.  Way to much money, way to much time.  A page out of the Theo handbook, try to win now.....handcuff later (after I leave) move.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In Response to Re: Prince Fielder: nine-years, $214 million : Is it so far feteched the Tigers have tired of Cabera and will move him at some point? interesting and down the road not so far feteched IMO
    Posted by pinstripezac

Zac Yanks need a DH

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Miggie moving to 3rd base for few years and will be future DH...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

And yet Mazz is blowing the panic whistle.  Not only is this contract crazy, but moving Cabs to 3rd?  Youk on a blown tire had more range.
    Although Fielder is a fine player, I dont think he will put up better numbers than Gonzo...another year removed from shoulders sugery.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

For this year I don't think it is as crazy b/c with Vmart out, both Mcab and Prince can get time at DH BUT when Vmart is back in 2013 that basically means they are expecting Mcab to be a full time 3B, which I think is a stretch but with Vmart owed 12 million in '13 and '14, the Tigers are more or less stuck with him.  His salary, lack of options outside of DH and now coming off an ACL make his trade value very low.  I'd say signing Prince is more or less an admission they are willing to eat Vmart's contract.

The Tigers now have an absolutely ferocious tandem in the middle of the line-up and as some may recall the Red Sox did pretty well with a couple of mashers in the middle who weren't ever in any gold glove discussions. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Scott Boras is good at his job.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Scott Boras is good at his job.
    Posted by hill55

Wonder if he will take me on as a client - I can use a raise.

Although the contract is large, it makes sense to me. Detroit was so close last year and adding Fielder to the mix with a young pitching staff makes them extremely formidable. And all reports are Miggy going to 3B and ready for the challenge. And as a hitting duo - they will fill up the stands in Detroit.

I know many here are big on D-stats, but if Miggy can make the routine plays, I think Detroit will be absolutely thrilled. Only time will tell.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: Prince Fielder: nine-years, $214 million : Wonder if he will take me on as a client - I can use a raise. Although the contract is large, it makes sense to me. Detroit was so close last year and adding Fielder to the mix with a young pitching staff makes them extremely formidable. And all reports are Miggy going to 3B and ready for the challenge. And as a hitting duo - they will fill up the stands in Detroit. I know many here are big on D-stats, but if Miggy can make the routine plays, I think Detroit will be absolutely thrilled. Only time will tell.
    Posted by jesseyeric

I agree with the general premise that it will work out, especially in the short term.  But the fact the Miggy hasn't played 3B since 2007 is a concern, especially for a guy who is 6'4 250, a full season or 2 3B could definitely take a toll on him.

With Vmart out for the year I bet there will be a lot of days where either Fielder or Cabrera fill the DH spot.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Prince Fielder: nine-years, $214 million : I agree with the general premise that it will work out, especially in the short term.  But the fact the Miggy hasn't played 3B since 2007 is a concern, especially for a guy who is 6'4 250, a full season or 2 3B could definitely take a toll on him. With Vmart out for the year I bet there will be a lot of days where either Fielder or Cabrera fill the DH spot.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards

Lets use that term loosely.

Sections
Shortcuts