Prince Fielder to the Tigers! AGon signing looks better every day

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Re: Prince Fielder to the Tigers! AGon signing looks better every day

In Response to Re: Prince Fielder to the Tigers! AGon signing looks better every day:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Prince Fielder to the Tigers! AGon signing looks better every day : All those top 1B are coming to AL including himself.  It will be tough job for Agon to stay in the elite 1B group eapecially after Prince and Pujols coming over to AL.  He will be compared to them every single day and he may feel pressured at some point.. right?
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

The Fielder signing doesn't impact that though.  It moves one of the elite 1B's in the AL away from 1B (MCab).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

In Response to Re: Prince Fielder to the Tigers! AGon signing looks better every day:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Prince Fielder to the Tigers! AGon signing looks better every day : All those top 1B are coming to AL including himself.  It will be tough job for Agon to stay in the elite 1B group eapecially after Prince and Pujols coming over to AL.  He will be compared to them every single day and he may feel pressured at some point.. right?

I get what your saying, but weren't they all in the NL at the same time?  I would guess the pressure would not be any different now than it was then...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Prince Fielder to the Tigers! AGon signing looks better every day : I get what your saying, but weren't they all in the NL at the same time?  I would guess the pressure would not be any different now than it was then...
    Posted by Yoshimi25[/QUOTE]

This is why you are simply the best.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stodknocker. Show stodknocker's posts

As happy as I am that Prince is not going to the Rangers, he and MCab together remind me of the Manny/Papi tandem that was sooo feared in the league. Add in VMart when he returns and that will be a very feared middle of the line up. They will mash! 

Good for Detroit, that city needs something ever so badly. 

Wishing it was a NL team though! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Prince Fielder to the Tigers! AGon signing looks better every day": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Prince Fielder to the Tigers! AGon signing looks better every day : Thanks, I thought I dreamt that ACL story half way down this post. Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE] Lol...pretty sure there were multiple threads devoted to Vmarts injury...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Prince Fielder to the Tigers! AGon signing looks better every day : I get what your saying, but weren't they all in the NL at the same time?  I would guess the pressure would not be any different now than it was then...
    Posted by Yoshimi25[/QUOTE]

You have a very good point.  But they are all with different teams now with much bigger contracts and market.  I think expectations might be different(more I should say) thus they might feel different and more pressure IMO.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Prince Fielder to the Tigers! AGon signing looks better every day": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Prince Fielder to the Tigers! AGon signing looks better every day : You have a very good point.  But they are all with different teams now with much bigger contracts and market.  I think expectations might be different(more I should say) thus they might feel different and more pressure IMO. Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE] I'd much rather have Agon get three days of rest at the all-star break, but he probably won't...I don't think he is going to feel added pressure because there are two new talented1st basemen in the league...that guy is as focused as it gets when he's at the plate.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Prince Fielder to the Tigers! AGon signing looks better every day": I'd much rather have Agon get three days of rest at the all-star break, but he probably won't...I don't think he is going to feel added pressure because there are two new talented1st basemen in the league...that guy is as focused as it gets when he's at the plate.
    Posted by jasko2248[/QUOTE]

Well, in that case, the pressure ought to be less on A-Gon, since his contract is relatively modest compared to Fielder and Pujols.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

I feel like the Tigers might come to regret this seeing as they already had a superstar first-baseman who now needs to shuffle over to third-base, which as Youk showed drains a player's body considerably more.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

For what it's worth, Prince Fielder will be the same age at the end of his nine-year contract as Adrian Gonzalez will be at the end of his seven-year contract.

For all that's been written about Fielder's body type, I'm not convinced that Gonzalez will hold up any better or worse than Fielder. The durable but slow Gonzalez has played fewer games (958) over the past six seasons than has Fielder (959).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Prince Fielder to the Tigers! AGon signing looks better every day : Well, in that case, the pressure ought to be less on A-Gon, since his contract is relatively modest compared to Fielder and Pujols.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

That's kind of what I was thinking too, Spaceman.  If anything, he might even be able to fly under the radar of high expectations.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]I feel like the Tigers might come to regret this seeing as they already had a superstar first-baseman who now needs to shuffle over to third-base, which as Youk showed drains a player's body considerably more.
    Posted by NUSoxFan[/QUOTE]

And unlike Youk, who at least in his younger years was a solid third baseman, Cabrera has already proven that he about as horrendous as a guy can be over there. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Obvioulsy a Mcab/Fielder middle of the order is deadly but it is still a strange signing to me.  For starters, the money and the years are huge and we know the market for Prince was thin, gotta wonder if the Tigers could have done better with the contract.  Also though, as others have said, where is Fielder going to play?  Do you DH him some b/c playing MCAB 100+ games at 3B doesn't strike me as a great idea.  You have both those guys signed long term and with Vmart coming back in 2013 and 2014 it seems he will need to DH to be in the line-up, which would mean MCab would have to play 3B. 

In some ways it reminds me of the Crawford signing, in that while Prince is a great player, he might not be a great fit.  BUT, that is a fearsome 3-4!! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Obvioulsy a Mcab/Fielder middle of the order is deadly but it is still a strange signing to me.  For starters, the money and the years are huge and we know the market for Prince was thin, gotta wonder if the Tigers could have done better with the contract.  Also though, as others have said, where is Fielder going to play?  Do you DH him some b/c playing MCAB 100+ games at 3B doesn't strike me as a great idea.  You have both those guys signed long term and with Vmart coming back in 2013 and 2014 it seems he will need to DH to be in the line-up, which would mean MCab would have to play 3B.  In some ways it reminds me of the Crawford signing, in that while Prince is a great player, he might not be a great fit.  BUT, that is a fearsome 3-4!! 
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

Yeah, i mean that is a hreat of the order reminiscent of Papi-Manny in their prime.  But, seriously, Cabrera at the hot corner probably gives back a good 50 of the runs they create together.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SOX4567. Show SOX4567's posts

How do so many people not know that Martinez is out for the season

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]How do so many people not know that Martinez is out for the season
    Posted by SOX4567[/QUOTE]

among other sources

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Prince Fielder to the Tigers! AGon signing looks better every day : http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7480496/detroit-tigers-challenged-replacing-victor-martinez?eleven=twelve among other sources
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

I think you mis read his post Space.  He said how do so many people NOT know that VMart is out for the year.  Good effort though.

Wink

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]Wow, where will Martinez bat next season?  
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

My guess is that the Tigers are thinking the injury isn't just season ending but may well impact his overall performance, considering his age.

What I think about fairly often when Martinez' name is brought up is that he supposedlt was promised he could still be the catcher not the DH ... that didn't last too long ...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Prince Fielder to the Tigers! AGon signing looks better every day:
    [QUOTE]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/01/tigers-prince-fielder-nearing-nine-year-deal.html Fielder to the Tigers on a 9 year deal.  Makes $154M/7 years look like a steal for AGon.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

JB,

Have to agree.

And unlike A-Gon moving from hitter negative field to hitter friendly field, Fielder is going the other way.  He'll still have plenty of power, but I can see a drop off as a reasonable possibility...not a lot, but some.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

[QUOTE]For what it's worth, Prince Fielder will be the same age at the end of his nine-year contract as Adrian Gonzalez will be at the end of his seven-year contract. For all that's been written about Fielder's body type, I'm not convinced that Gonzalez will hold up any better or worse than Fielder. The durable but slow Gonzalez has played fewer games (958) over the past six seasons than has Fielder (959).
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]  That's a lot of years for a guy that looks like he may tip over at any moment.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RawckinSox. Show RawckinSox's posts

[QUOTE]For what it's worth, Prince Fielder will be the same age at the end of his nine-year contract as Adrian Gonzalez will be at the end of his seven-year contract. For all that's been written about Fielder's body type, I'm not convinced that Gonzalez will hold up any better or worse than Fielder. The durable but slow Gonzalez has played fewer games (958) over the past six seasons than has Fielder (959).
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

958 to 959 games... I'm sorry but that is a poor example to say Fielder is more durable... That 1 game that Fielder played more then Gonzalez might have been a managers decision that has nothing to do with A Gonz durability.

With that being said if I had the choice between Adrian Gonzalez or Prince Fielder with everything being equal including dollars, I would still take Adrian 9 times out of 10. That 1 time I choose Fielder maybe cause I was curious. Adrian plays better defense, and in my opinion will be the better hitter and be the more duriable over the course of his contract. I've said it before, I'll say it again for most of the duration of his contract I'll say for the next 4 or 5 years I think Adrian Gonzalez will be the best all around hitter in baseball. He was the best hitter in baseball for the majority of the first half, and then fell off I feel because of the weakness in his shoulder. I doubt the shoulder issue will be a problem for the rest of his contract. Am I saying he won't get injured? Of course not, I'm just saying I doubt the shoulder gives him anymore major issues. Adrian Gonzalez in my opinion will be and is the best 1st basemen in baseball, and his contract is just the icing on the cake.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Prince Fielder to the Tigers! AGon signing looks better every day : I would say.. 3. Miguel Cabrera 3B 4. Prince Fielder 1B 5. Victor Martinez DH new best 3-4-5 line-up

Gentlemen, start your bunters!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Prince Fielder to the Tigers! AGon signing looks better every day : If I had to guess I'd say DH.  PF at 1B and MCab back over to 3B.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

If I had to guess, I'd say it would be smarter to put VMart back behind the plate than it would be to put Cabrera back at 3B.

Frankly, I think VMart is moved next offseason, and probably for a 3B. 

Though if Castellanos is ready, it might be for a 2B...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]Wow. They are gonna mash the ball.  Maybe they can trade us VMart back when Papi walks in a year
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

If they eat half his salary.