prince fielder.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

Re: prince fielder.

In Response to Re: prince fielder.:
    [QUOTE]In response to "Re: prince fielder.": I disagree. I think 1st base defense is huge. It makes the whole infield that much better. Jeter mentioned how Texeira's glove was as valuable as his bat when they won. Maybe its not a coincidence they never won a World Series with Giambi...when Theo traded Nomar for Cabrera and Doug "M," defense was the reason...
    Posted by jasko2248[/QUOTE]

[assuming recent norms] Would you rather have Youk at first + a 10m pitcher or Agon/Fielder?  What about Carlos Pena + a 15m pitcher or Tex/Howard?  Not to mention the huge contract length required for the "superstars".

I think the incremental playing value at 1B of a "superstar" over a competent or "star" player is modest and not worth paying over the odds for.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: prince fielder.": I disagree. I think 1st base defense is huge. It makes the whole infield that much better. Jeter mentioned how Texeira's glove was as valuable as his bat when they won. Maybe its not a coincidence they never won a World Series with Giambi...when Theo traded Nomar for Cabrera and Doug "M," defense was the reason...
    Posted by jasko2248[/QUOTE]

Wasn't all on Giambi. That Yankee team gave up a lot of defense for offense, the Yankees have learned from those mistakes.

Matsui in LF, Damon in CF, Abreu in RF Posada behing the plate.

With Giambi all very good offensive ballplayers but not considered at that time one of the better defenses in baseball.

I don't know who had George Steinbrenner's ear during that period, he let the farms go to hell too.

Detroit seems to making the same mistake in sacrificing defense for power.

Ok by me I'm a Yankee fan.

I'd rather have a guy at first for example like Chris Chamblis, stellar defense .270 bat with 20 HRs. Get your power somewhere else.

Firstbase is not a throw away position, you absolutely need a good glove there.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: prince fielder.": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: prince fielder. : [assuming recent norms] Would you rather have Youk at first + a 10m pitcher or Agon/Fielder?  What about Carlos Pena + a 15m pitcher or Tex/Howard?  Not to mention the huge contract length required for the "superstars". I think the incremental playing value at 1B of a "superstar" over a competent or "star" player is modest and not worth paying over the odds for. Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE] I understand your point, but they didn't choose Agon over a 15 million dollar pitcher and Agon's deal looks even better now. There hasn't been a legit ace on the market since Cliff Lee and he wasn't coming to Boston. More and more teams are locking up top of the rotation guys, so they never hit the market. Agon is a terrific defensive 1st baseman and arguably one of the top 5 best hitters in the game, and yes I would trade him for a Felix Hernandez type, but the reality is, none of these guys are available...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Firstbase is not a throw away position, you absolutely need a good glove there.

That was one of the biggest paradigm shifts of the new century.  It used to be that anyone with a glove played first.  I like it better now.  It didn't do them any good, but I lost track of how many great plays Tex made in the playoffs against us when he was with LAA.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: prince fielder. : [assuming recent norms] Would you rather have Youk at first + a 10m pitcher or Agon/Fielder?  What about Carlos Pena + a 15m pitcher or Tex/Howard?  Not to mention the huge contract length required for the "superstars". I think the incremental playing value at 1B of a "superstar" over a competent or "star" player is modest and not worth paying over the odds for.
    Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE]

Mostly my thought.  Guys that put up numbers like Ells or Tulo at CF or SS are really difficult to find.  As good as Gonzo was last year, he still didn't put up as good an OPS as Youk did at 1st in 2010.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: prince fielder.": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: prince fielder. : Mostly my thought.  Guys that put up numbers like Ells or Tulo at CF or SS are really difficult to find.  As good as Gonzo was last year, he still didn't put up as good an OPS as Youk did at 1st in 2010. Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE] Good points, Joe, but considering Agon was coming off surgery, new league, totally different environment and the Home Run Derby, Bobby Abreu like 2nd half power outage, its not unreasonable to think he'll be even better this year. I believe Youk is very underrated, even in Boston, partly because he's not necessarily likable for some, he looks like a soft ball player and he's often injured, but I think the Agon trade was a no-brainer after the Felix Hernandez deal was rejected. They offered any 5 out of their 7 top prospects (from what I remember), and Seattle balked. If Seattle takes that deal, then it's likely Youk, Beltre and Hernandez and no Gonzalez. Are we better? Yup...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Childhood photo:

http://twitter.com/#!/si_vault/status/161918268775481344/photo/1

... and childhood TV commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcvaYgWc9eY

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

In addition to thinking that Cabrera will be a mediocre third basemen at best, I felt like the Tigers problem was pitching behind Verlander. Fielder can help hide that, but he doesn't fix that.  They have some good pitchers, but in the playoffs, if Verlander loses, there is no hope.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Not that I think it's a horrible move.  For me, it goes to the value of the contract.  You added offense, but hurt your defense.  Trading for and signing Gonzo for $22M was a real nice move, on paper.  But we already had a real good 1B.  So that downgraded the move a little.  That was my objection to adding Teixeira.

I felt the same way about Tex, and i understand your point about AGon moving Youk, but I had thought Youk would be the DH (at least PT) by now, but Papi threw a wrench into the works with his solid 2011 season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: prince fielder.": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: prince fielder. : Not that I think it's a horrible move.  For me, it goes to the value of the contract.  You added offense, but hurt your defense.  Trading for and signing Gonzo for $22M was a real nice move, on paper.  But we already had a real good 1B.  So that downgraded the move a little.  That was my objection to adding Teixeira. It's like when the NYM signed the Japanese SS when they already had Jose Reyes as their SS.  When your primary move forces a secondary move that you otherwise would not have made, it reduces the benefit of what you just paid for. Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE] Joe, I don't think the Sox looked at the Agon trade as a slight upgrade over Youkilis. I think they saw Agon as a top 5 middle of the order bat entering his prime. They don't come around all the time. Youks ability to play an adequate 3rd made the move a little easier. The Yankees looked at Arod the same way in '04. They didn't need a SS, but they figured they didn't have to worry about a number 3 hitter for the next decade. Over the short term, its a slight upgrade, but long term, it makes a lot sense.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Joe, I don't think the Sox looked at the Agon trade as a slight upgrade over Youkilis. I think they saw Agon as a top 5 middle of the order bat entering his prime. They don't come around all the time. Youks ability to play an adequate 3rd made the move a little easier. 

I think they decided they didn't want Beltre back and figured Youk would still be a top 3 offensive 3Bman.

The Yankees looked at Arod the same way in '04. They didn't need a SS, but they figured they didn't have to worry about a number 3 hitter for the next decade. Over the short term, its a slight upgrade, but long term, it makes a lot sense.

I think AGon hits 45+ HRs and 130+ RBIs this year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m