Pro football

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Pro football

I like the NFL as much as the next guy , but how in the world do people get more interested in NFL pre season games than pennant race baseball?  Makes no sense for a sports fan. The NFL pre season games are exhibitions. Totally meaningless for all but the bubble players trying to make the team. What is wrong here ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: Pro football

Because some people like football better than baseball. In fact, some football fans do not care about baseball at all.

Also some fans view pre-season football as a time to scout for their fantasy teams...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Doesn't really bother me. I like the NFL and the Patriots, but I'm not going to watch and NFL preseason game over the Red Sox.

However, even if the Sox don't make the playoffs, I have 162 opportunties to watch them play in the regular season, not including spring training. Add the Grapefruit League and it's up to around 192 games or so.

The most NFL fans can see their team play, and this is if its a Wild Card team that reaches the Super Bowl is 24 times -- 4 preseason, 16 regular season, three playoff and 1 Super Bowl. Most teams will play just 20 games.

So even if you like the Red Sox and the Patriots fan the same or even the Red Sox slight better, I can see if for that one game, even a preseason game, you watch the Pats.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Because some people like football better than baseball. In fact, some football fans do not care about baseball at all.

Also some fans view pre-season football as a time to scout for their fantasy teams...

Okay. It makes sense for football fans who do not care for baseball. But not for " sports fans ."  As to the other, if fantasy takes precedence over reality, I can see it. If what you want is to make money from your fandom, I would advise sticking to fantasy leagues, and stay away from the wise guys who set the odds. For me ,I just enjoy all of the major sports in season.  Pennant race baseball is much more interesting than pre season football. As  I said Notin, it makes no sense for a sports fan. Maybe it makes sense for you. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Your local 99 restaurant or Applebees will have ESPN on the T.V.s all the time. If not for this I would not know that ESPN shows programming related to NFL football 12 months a year.

People have been brainwashed to think about football all the time. The marketing people for the NFL have done a great job marketing the sport. The Superbowl is bigger  than Xmas or Easter.

Personally , I liked football better when it was a game, not a circus....back when Lenny Dawson, John Unitas and Gayle Sayers were playing.

Football has become the Pop Music oof sports. It is really awful, but they have marketed it well and they've got just about everyone tuned in to the point where people who like it think they are missing something if they don't watch every week...including the meaningless preseason games.

Remember when Detroit Lions won all 4 of their preseason games, then went on to lose all 16 games?...see how meaningless winning and losing is in preseason?

"Advertising is legalized lying."- H.G.Wells

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

That's why Tivo was invented.I watch the baseball games live and tape the pre-season football game if it's on at the same time.

During the regular football season,I'll watch football live (Patriots game only)and tape the baseball game.If it's a team other than the Pats,the Red Sox take precedent.

My reasoning is that there's only 16 games in a team's football season and 162 for a baseball team.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

That's why Tivo was invented.I watch the baseball games live and tape the pre-season football game if it's on at the same time.

During the regular football season,I'll watch football live (Patriots game only)and tape the baseball game.If it's a team other than the Pats,the Red Sox take precedent.

My reasoning is that there's only 16 games in a team's football season and 162 for a baseball team.

Same here.

Once baseball is over, I'll watch every football game I have time for.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Same here.

me too...except for the Jets...i'd rather watch cricket....almost Tongue Out

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Same here.

me too...except for the Jets...i'd rather watch cricket....almost Tongue Out

LOL

What the heck was Ryan thinking on Sat. night?

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

It also cpmes down to what sport you enjoy more.

I still prefer pre-season baseball over hockey playoffs.  And over non-Celtic NBA playoffs

Sections
Shortcuts