Professional ... desire?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Professional ... desire?

We are fairly famously featuring the attitude of dirt dogs and gritty players.  Prima Donnas and overpaid and over-hyped players beware if you don the Sox uni and step on the hallowed green of Fenway ....

But we aren't the only ones who appreciate gritty players.  So I am not excluding fans from elsewhere.

I do have a question that troubles me some.  Maybe it does you.

How does a player, professional, well paid, highly sought, REVIVE himself in a change of scenery, aside from moving from a hopeless cellar dweller to a contender?

It just so happens this is about the phenomonon as it happens to/with the Evil Pinstripes.  This case is about Alphonso Soriano (sp).  I know he's been languishing in Chi-town as a Cubbie.  But his bursting back on the scene in NYC is what gets my attention. 

It may just be a hot steak, which it is obviously, in his return to NY.  But is it because he is now playing harder, focusing more, desiring more ....

Heck, I understand being more focused on certain days and stuff ....

But this guy was the centerpiece of the Cubs ... maybe he just got worn down by the hopelessness of ever getting anywhere ...

In the end, I wonder about professional desire and focus.  Obviously, there is an inner fire to get to the professional level.  Obviously, we aren't computers, so we don't all act the same in every situation (but even computers don't - even with minor changes in environment) ...

Heck - I ahouldn't be surprised - out entire team has been revitalized by the arrival of a manager who can handle people, a few good men (not great, but very serviceable), and the Kiddy Korps .... 

Baseball is a great but difficult game ... to play professionally.  How often is the decent turned into the great by the added personal incentive of desire?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Professional ... desire?

I think this is probably fairly common.  It think most people get tired of a place after a while and start mailing things in.  Not slacking exactly, just maybe not with a carpe diem attitude.  You start dating someone with a trip to the Gap, and two years later, you still wear the same outfit on dates.  You buy a house and the first couple of years, every paint job and every blade of grass is perfect.

I think that the bad news for the RS is that Yankee Stadium is about the most exciting place in the world.  I'm not saying we are far behind, but Boston is not NY.  Then when guys come to NY from bas situations, and/or losing situations, it creates a profound excitement.

But the good news is that the excitement will wear off.  Wells went back to being Wells, Overbay went back to being Overbay, and Hafner went back to being Hafner.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Soriano will cool off and revert to his old inconsistent strikeout machine self eventually. Remember how "hot" Hafner was earlier this year, and what a "find" he was? Where is he now?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

It has happened for many years. The Yankees do what is needed to stay on top. Cashman saw what was needed and he went out and got it. When Soriano and Reynolds wear out their welcome, they will be discarded.  The cycle continues year after year.

Stabbed by Foulke.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

It has happened for many years. The Yankees do what is needed to stay on top. Cashman saw what was needed and he went out and got it. When Soriano and Reynolds wear out their welcome, they will be discarded.  The cycle continues year after year.

Stabbed by Foulke.

He also went out and got Wells, Youkilis, Overbay.

Sections
Shortcuts