SP: Lester, Buchholz, Lackey, Peavy, Doubront

SP/LR: Dempster & Morales

SR: Uehara, Mujica, Breslow, Tazawa, Badenhop, Miller

Others who should/could see ML action:

C: Lavarnway, Butler, & Vazquez

IF: Cecchini, Snyder & McCoy

OF: Brentz, Hassan & Linares

SP/LR: Workman, Britton, Webster, Wright, Ranaudo, Barnes, Hinojosa & Owens

RP: Villareal, de la Rosa, Wilson, C Martin, C Hernandez, Layne, Watanabe, N Ramirez

My guess is we still trade a high-priced pitcher (Dempster or Peavy) and a lefty releif pitcher (Morales or Miller). This would allow Workman and Britton to be on the 25 man roster and maybe squeeze Holt back to AAA, so we can add a better left-side IF'er.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: Projected 25 Man 2014 Red Sox Roster

There are 26 names on that 25 man roster

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Maybe MLB won't notice! (I went back and took off Miller.)

Wink

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Well, Ben isnt done yet.  Holt is the man that Farrell need on the bench case someone get hurt in the infield other than 1b.  And since you had 26 players, meaning one of the bullpen pitcher need to go.  Candiate are Morales, Miller or Dempster.  

Another player need to go is Lavarnway.  And also if Drew is resigns, then Middlebrook is the other candiate that may need to be go too!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We basically have Miller, Workman and Britton who arguably deserve to be on the 25 man roster if healthy. A trade of Dempster or peavy and Morales or Miller will make room for 2.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to tvfrank's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's a penalty. Too many men on the field.

[/QUOTE]

Just have Miller wear a Morales disguise, and we could use one every game!

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to solareclipse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

And also if Drew is resigns

What stupid move that would be. Creating a competition at 3B and turning down a draft pick and getting rid of a young talent with proven HR power just to pay another 10 million or more a year for Drew. It's not a Crawbust or Ellsbust FA signing move, but it's pretty stupid. 

[/QUOTE]

And do you have the trust on Bogaerts playing at the SS position?   Drew is a far better defender than him.  Also, if you think that is a stupid  move, t hen why the world Ben is still talking to Drew for the whole time to see where he is going.   

Ben know what he is doing!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well, Ben isnt done yet.  Holt is the man that Farrell need on the bench case someone get hurt in the infield other than 1b.  And since you had 26 players, meaning one of the bullpen pitcher need to go.  Candiate are Morales, Miller or Dempster.  

Another player need to go is Lavarnway.  And also if Drew is resigns, then Middlebrook is the other candiate that may need to be go too!

[/QUOTE]

Why does Lavarnway need to go?  For the flaw of not being able to handle tje most difficult defensive position.

He needs to move to 1b or OF.  Not moveon

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Why does Lavarnway need to go?  For the flaw of not being able to handle tje most difficult defensive position.

[/QUOTE]

I don't see his stick as being good enough for 1b or of. He is another Jeff Bailey.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Only guy that should move to 1b is middlebrook.  not Lavarnway!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Only guy that should move to 1b is middlebrook.  not Lavarnway!!

[/QUOTE]

Not unless Napoli gets hurt.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

In response to solareclipse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

And also if Drew is resigns

What stupid move that would be. Creating a competition at 3B and turning down a draft pick and getting rid of a young talent with proven HR power just to pay another 10 million or more a year for Drew. It's not a Crawbust or Ellsbust FA signing move, but it's pretty stupid. 

[/QUOTE]

You supported, ad nauseum, a far inferior player to Steven Drew in Julio Lugo post-to-post shortstop on our 2007 championship team. And only you could call Ellsbury a bust when he played key roles on two championship teams. But he's gone now, so you can maybe lighten up on that obsession and stop starting threads about him. For what it's worth, I would like to see us open 2014 with Middlebrooks, Bogey, Pedey and Napoli left-to-right in our infield. But I will not call a Drew signing stupid, nor will I obsess about it with countless posts and threads under countless aliases.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The draft pick alone was worth the Drew signing. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

The way Miller was throwing before his injury, I hope he stays around.  He really might be a dark horse here.

Speaking of horses, I wonder how our old friend Harness is doing.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The way Miller was throwing before his injury, I hope he stays around.  He really might be a dark horse here.

Speaking of horses, I wonder how our old friend Harness is doing.

[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty certain Morales or Miller will be traded, unless we dump Dempster or Peavy and use Morales as the 6th starter.

We may deal 2: 

Morales or Miller

&

Dempster or Peavy

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The Sox really have to move a pitcher simply for “roster crunch” reasons. As it stands, they have 13 pitchers with no options and typically only carry 12.  So either a pitcher moves, or they have a 3 man bench (Ross, Carp, Gomes).  The latter option seems less likely due to the lack of actual defensive versatility of the 3 players. So it is more likely a pitcher is moved.  They are already at a point where Brandon Workman and Drake Britton have been squeezed from the roster.

Dempster is a possibility, but I think I might be surprised if he moves simply because Buchholz is a physical question mark.  So he is probably buried in the bullpen until needed, and if he moves to the rotation, Workman would be called up. 

The obvious surplus is LHRP, with Breslow, Miller and Morales, as well as Britton in Pawtucket.  The most likely trade candidate appears to be Morales.  I doubt there is significant return, as he could go for a minor leaguer who need not be on the 40-man roster, or for a potentially useful utility infielder.  Guessing what minor leaguer is impossible for me, and even utility infielders are a tough call, but at least it is more interesting.  My top two possibilities are Jack Hannahan and Cliff Pennington.

Journeyman Hannahan has most of his experience at 3B, but has played all around the infield and is a defensively gifted player with limited offensive skills.  While Cincy does not need a LHRP, they might be amenable since Morales projected salary in arbitration ($1.8mill) is less than what Hannahan is owed ($3mill/1yr or $5mill/2 yrs).  Arizona has a little less depth at LHRP, with only Joe Thatcher likely to make the 25-man roster, but also might be amenable to dealing Pennington, as they have middle infield depth and Pennington has $3.25mill guaranteed for 2014.  Like Hannahan, Pennington is a limited offensive player, but excels defensively.  Pennington is also a good base stealer.  However, as the Dbacks infield depth comes in the form of younger players, they might prefer to demote, say, Chris Owings to AAA to start the season.  Their depth could also disappear completely if they move Didi Gregorious for other more pressing needs.

It also looks like the Sox are not going to carry another CF on the 25-man, and use Victorino as the stopgap CF,  with any long term or defensive depth coming from Pawtucket.  Soxprospects.com lists no starting CF in Pawtucket, and I expect this void to be filled via free agency, with the Sox looking at players like Dave Sappelt, Julio Borbon, Scott Cousins or former Sox farmhand Che-Hsuan Lin.   I suppose Trevor Crowe, Jason Pridie, or Jordany Valdespin are also in play.  If Sam Fuld is willing to accept a minor league deal, add his name to the list of candidates as well.  Not much in the way of excitement there, but such is the reality. 

If Bradley never adapts to MLB or if he is injured for what looks like it will be a significant portion of the season, the Sox might consider moving Mike Carp for a CF, assuming Carp himself has not taken over for an injured Nava, Napoli or Ortiz.  (And if it gets to this point and the Sox have too many injuries, temper your expectations about a repeat in 2014.) There are teams that will have interest in Carp and have depth at CF.  Houston, for example, might be amenable to dealing Robbie Grossman, who has been supplanted by Dexter Fowler and was never more than a stopgap for George Springer.  Oakland seems to like stockpiling CF depth, and might be willing to move Craig Gentry for Carp and his dirt cheap power bat.  Pittsburgh has no 1B replacement for Jones / Morneau, and needs cheap players.  They have an available CF option in longshot-gamble reclaimation project Jose Tabata.  Recently supplanted Jon Jay might be available from St. Louis is they need a 1B/LF type for some reason.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Sox really have to move a pitcher simply for “roster crunch” reasons. As it stands, they have 13 pitchers with no options and typically only carry 12.  So either a pitcher moves, or they have a 3 man bench (Ross, Carp, Gomes).  The latter option seems less likely due to the lack of actual defensive versatility of the 3 players. So it is more likely a pitcher is moved.  They are already at a point where Brandon Workman and Drake Britton have been squeezed from the roster.

I actually think 2 pitchers will be traded:

1 out of Dempster or Peavy, but maybe Doubront or Lackey if the return is worth it.

1 out of Morales or Miller. If a starter is traded, we'd probably keep Morales as the 6th starter.

However, there is a chance we play the DL shuffle, or someone actually gets hurt and there is room for everyone.

Dempster is a possibility, but I think I might be surprised if he moves simply because Buchholz is a physical question mark.  So he is probably buried in the bullpen until needed, and if he moves to the rotation, Workman would be called up. 

I have to think Dempster's value as a 4th or 5th starter for another team is worth way more than his 6th starter value here.

The obvious surplus is LHRP, with Breslow, Miller and Morales, as well as Britton in Pawtucket.  The most likely trade candidate appears to be Morales.  I doubt there is significant return, as he could go for a minor leaguer who need not be on the 40-man roster, or for a potentially useful utility infielder.  Guessing what minor leaguer is impossible for me, and even utility infielders are a tough call, but at least it is more interesting.  My top two possibilities are Jack Hannahan and Cliff Pennington.

Again, if we trade Dempster or a starter, I'd keep Morales and look to trade Miller (not a hand-away deal).

Journeyman Hannahan has most of his experience at 3B, but has played all around the infield and is a defensively gifted player with limited offensive skills.  While Cincy does not need a LHRP, they might be amenable since Morales projected salary in arbitration ($1.8mill) is less than what Hannahan is owed ($3mill/1yr or $5mill/2 yrs).  Arizona has a little less depth at LHRP, with only Joe Thatcher likely to make the 25-man roster, but also might be amenable to dealing Pennington, as they have middle infield depth and Pennington has $3.25mill guaranteed for 2014.  Like Hannahan, Pennington is a limited offensive player, but excels defensively.  Pennington is also a good base stealer.  However, as the Dbacks infield depth comes in the form of younger players, they might prefer to demote, say, Chris Owings to AAA to start the season.  Their depth could also disappear completely if they move Didi Gregorious for other more pressing needs.

I love the idea of picking up a defensive whiz at SS. Bogey can be moved to 3B if Middy struggles and Cecchini is not ready.

It also looks like the Sox are not going to carry another CF on the 25-man, and use Victorino as the stopgap CF,  with any long term or defensive depth coming from Pawtucket.  Soxprospects.com lists no starting CF in Pawtucket, and I expect this void to be filled via free agency, with the Sox looking at players like Dave Sappelt, Julio Borbon, Scott Cousins or former Sox farmhand Che-Hsuan Lin.   I suppose Trevor Crowe, Jason Pridie, or Jordany Valdespin are also in play.  If Sam Fuld is willing to accept a minor league deal, add his name to the list of candidates as well.  Not much in the way of excitement there, but such is the reality. 

Kinda scares me.

If Bradley never adapts to MLB or if he is injured for what looks like it will be a significant portion of the season, the Sox might consider moving Mike Carp for a CF, assuming Carp himself has not taken over for an injured Nava, Napoli or Ortiz.  (And if it gets to this point and the Sox have too many injuries, temper your expectations about a repeat in 2014.) There are teams that will have interest in Carp and have depth at CF.  Houston, for example, might be amenable to dealing Robbie Grossman, who has been supplanted by Dexter Fowler and was never more than a stopgap for George Springer.  Oakland seems to like stockpiling CF depth, and might be willing to move Craig Gentry for Carp and his dirt cheap power bat.  Pittsburgh has no 1B replacement for Jones / Morneau, and needs cheap players.  They have an available CF option in longshot-gamble reclaimation project Jose Tabata.  Recently supplanted Jon Jay might be available from St. Louis is they need a 1B/LF type for some reason.

Good info, as always.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Updates:

Assuming no trades or additions...

C: Pierzynski & Ross

1B: Napoli & Carp

2B: Pedroia

3B: Middlebrooks

SS: Bogaerts

IF: Herrera

LF: Nava & Gomes

CF: Bradley

RF: Victorino

DH: Ortiz

SP: Lester, Buchholz, Lackey, Peavy, Doubront

SP/LR: Dempster 

SR: Uehara, Mujica, Breslow, Tazawa, Badenhop, Miller

Others who should/could see ML action:

C: Lavarnway, Butler, & Vazquez

IF: Cecchini, Holt, Snyder & McCoy

OF: Brentz, Hassan & Linares

SP/LR: Workman, Britton, Webster, Wright, Ranaudo, Barnes, Hinojosa & Owens

RP: Villareal, de la Rosa, Wilson, C Martin, C Hernandez, Layne, Watanabe, N Ramirez

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Now that Morales is gone, I'm beginning to wonder if we just might keep the 6 starters until the season starts. Workman starts in AAA, and if some team gets desperate enough to make an offer Ben cannot refuse, aand our 5 are healthy, then a deal may be made then.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Now that Morales is gone, I'm beginning to wonder if we just might keep the 6 starters until the season starts. Workman starts in AAA, and if some team gets desperate enough to make an offer Ben cannot refuse, aand our 5 are healthy, then a deal may be made then.

[/QUOTE]

My guess is that Workman was destined to begin the year in AAA from the beginning. Unless the Sox see him as a bullpen arm and no more, they'll want him to continue to stay strong, pitch every five days and build his innings totals to ready him to go 200 basically Workman will serve as organizational depth for 2014...

Food for thought with Peavy, Dempster and Lester all playing in the last years of thier respective deals. What is a surplus of arms now will quickly become a need entering the spring of 2015

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Which is exactly what I said above.  I did figure the UIF to be more of a salary dump type guy, though.

I don't see why they would rush to move Dempster, as pitching depth can turn into pitching dearth rather quickly.  So for the next 6 weeks or so, thd Sox offseason might be nothing more than filling out the Pawtucket roster.  This should be especially exciting for all you Julio Borbon/  Scott Cousins / Che-Hsuan Linn fans out there...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Which is exactly what I said above.  I did figure the UIF to be more of a salary dump type guy, though.

I don't see why they would rush to move Dempster, as pitching depth can turn into pitching dearth rather quickly.  So for the next 6 weeks or so, thd Sox offseason might be nothing more than filling out the Pawtucket roster.  This should be especially exciting for all you Julio Borbon/  Scott Cousins / Che-Hsuan Linn fans out there...

[/QUOTE]

We still might see a desperate GM make an offer Ben cannot refuse for our back end starter that might become that team's #3 or 4 starter, but I agree, Ben is probably not actively looking to trade a starter.

I really like Miller, but had we traded him instead of Morales, we might have been more likely to jump on an offer for Dempster.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good call... I hope you played the lottery last night :-D

Sections
Shortcuts