Projected 25 Man 2014 Red Sox Roster

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Re: Projected 25 Man 2014 Red Sox Roster

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ampoule's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Actually, I think what makes Ben C. very unique is that he takes into account both the human element and the stat element.  I don't think that it can be debated that the chemistry in the clubhouse last year was not a significant factor in the team success.

Exactly. Obviously Ben pays attention to both those areas and more. The Sox were and are known as being cutting edge on sabermetrics. I'm sure they do not use WAR. They have their own metric, but sure as the night follows day, they use data.

A lot of people thought the trade for Beckett and Lowell was a big mistake.  If memory serves me correct, this was done during the gorilla suit fiasco with Theo.  Ben C. was acting GM at that time.  At that time, he may have come to the conclusion that Hanley R. was cancerous to the organization.  From what I read of Hanley's reputation, this may be so inaccurate.

Could be, but as it turned out Beckett's attitude turned sour as well.

The amount of information that Moon contributes is nothing short of astounding.  Because I'm not a big stat guy, I probably don't appreciate the information as much as I should.  This does not, in any way, mean that I don't respect his knowledge and effort.

While I do use data very often, I am not all about numbers and data. I really enjoy the game of baseball at all levels. I often go to HS, college and Sugar Land Skeeters games just for the fun of it. I enjoy watching baseball almsot as much as I enjoyed playing it "back in the day". 

It's funny because many of the areas I love the most about the game are not captured by stats or data. My favorite player of my youth was Tommy Harper. His numbers were not all that great, but he was electrifying. He is the reason I am a Sox fan as I moved from Milwaukee to Portland, Maine shortly before he was traded to Boston. His long leads off base we not something captured by data. His baserunning is not something to quantify, but it was beauty and grace. I was never much of a hitter in baseball, but I loved to field and run. I played 2B next to a fantastic defensive whiz for many years. I realized the great value of fantastic SS defense- a value never quantified by any number. No, not RF/9. Noe UZR/150. Not anything. But, it is real and it is beauty. Later I played CF and switched to softball as a CF'er and knuckleballer, but I never lost my admiration for exceptional defense, particularly at SS. My other great interest in this game is the relationship between a picther and a catcher. I know I have posted countless numbers like CERA pitcher by pitcher, OPS against pitcher by pitcher, but I have always said that those numbers only capture a small part of what a catcher can bring to the dynamics of the duo. There is so many intangibles it's mind-boggling. Nevertheless, I love it! I really do. So much of this game I love has nothing to do with data.

Many times I use data is to counter some yahoo who says so and so is blah blah blah, but the data shows otherwise. I point it out, so I am often labelled as a stat geek incapable of enjoying the human side of the game. As if it is impossible to have one with the other. I'm living proff they are not mutually exclusive of one another.

If there is one area where I'd beg to differ with Moon is the L/R splitting.  I've played a little baseball myself and feel that some players are just not capable of maintaing a top effort if not playing on a regular basis.  What I mean by this is that I don't think a player will continue their best batting average if they are taken out of L/R situations all the time.  They won't maintain the 'good split' averages.  It's a mental thing in my opinion.  I'm not convinced that stats will accurately show this.

I rareley advoacte 100% platoons based on L/R splits, and I realize some players are not ever going to be platooned regardless of how bad they are against one hand or the other. Some situations like the Nava/Gomes one is about as close to a true L/R platoon as you can get.

I did recommend things like moving Crawford way down in the order vs LHPs and resting him only vs lefties. I'd probably "rest" him vs LH's starters more than most managers, but I do not think I am that extreme. When I post my suggestions, I almost always qualify it with the word "guideline:.

For example, as a guideline for the 2014 Red Sox line-up, I'd suggest soemthing like this:

vs RHPs      vs LHPs

1)          Victorino     (When he rests vs several RHPs, I'd put Nava #1)

2) Pedroia     Gomes

3) Ortiz          Pedroia

4) Napoli        Ortiz

5) Nava          Napoli

6)        Middlebrooks 

7)        Bogaerts

8)         Pierzynski  (Ross plays against certain LHPs, but AJ is the FT'er)

9)         Bradley Jr

I'm fine with keeping Pedey, Papi and Napoli 2-3-4 and just keep Nava/Gomes up 5th, but I think more games than not, Papi should bat 3rd vs RHPs and a good righty vs LHPs.

I don't think Dempster was worth the money.

Surprised OHHH!   The inhumanity! Surprised

Wink

[/QUOTE]

This is a lot of movement for a line. Most lines have two or three players move around. Usually 6-9. You have the heart of the order vastly changing. While I am not going to attack you being for a stat guy, you do have admit  you like the line up to move around more than the average ML manager.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

For example, as a guideline for the 2014 Red Sox line-up, I'd suggest soemthing like this:

vs RHPs      vs LHPs

2) Pedroia     Gomes

3) Ortiz          Pedroia

4) Napoli        Ortiz

5) Nava          Napoli

6)        Middlebrooks 

7)        Bogaerts

9)         Bradley Jr

I'm fine with keeping Pedey, Papi and Napoli 2-3-4 and just keep Nava/Gomes up 5th, but I think more games than not, Papi should bat 3rd vs RHPs and a good righty vs LHPs.

This is a lot of movement for a line. Most lines have two or three players move around. Usually 6-9. You have the heart of the order vastly changing. While I am not going to attack you being for a stat guy, you do have admit  you like the line up to move around more than the average ML manager.

If Papi shows he can hit lefties like 2011 instead of 2012, I'd be totally fine with leaving them set at Pedey 2, Papi 3, and Napoli 4, but I'm not sure it will happen.

If he doesn't hit lefties well, I'd still be okay with a more set line-up, but would prefer at least this:

vs RHPs      vs LHPs

2)          Pedroia    

3) Ortiz          Napoli

4) Napoli        Ortiz

5) Nava          Gomes

6)        Middlebrooks 

7)        Bogaerts

9)         Bradley Jr

This might be better anyways as there is more speed at the top with Pedey at 2 over Gomes. There would only be one flip, which admittedly is much less than some of my past suggestions under different circumstances.

I would continue to monitor Victorino vs RHPs. Papi vs LHPs and maybe end up flipping Bogey and Middy if their performance demands it later in the season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

True about the Beckett deal.  But, we did get some positive, productive years in the process. 

Also, the negativity of Beckett was, in my opinion, greatly offset by the positive influence of Lowell, who was the real sleeper in the deal.

It was nice to see the 'human' side.    Wink

I should have been more clear about the L/R splits.  I didn't mean all the time or with all players.  Some players yes, others no.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

True about the Beckett deal.  But, we did get some positive, productive years in the process. 

Also, the negativity of Beckett was, in my opinion, greatly offset by the positive influence of Lowell, who was the real sleeper in the deal.

It was nice to see the 'human' side.    Wink

I should have been more clear about the L/R splits.  I didn't mean all the time or with all players.  Some players yes, others no.

[/QUOTE]

Beckett carried us through the 2007 playoffs. I'm not sure what happened, but clearly something changed.

I'm also not so sure trading AGon was all about the "tradeoff" of dumping salary and chemsitry-challenged players like CC and Beckett. Remember, Shoppach and AGon were behind "the event" of 2012. 

While adding Gomes, Victorino, Uehara, Drew, Napoli, and to some extent Dempster, Carp, Peavy, Ross and the rejuvinated Lackey certainly helped change the clubhouse atmosphere and much more, I think removing others might have been just as important. I'm not saying all the guys on this list were cancerous or negaive influences, but a lot of players are no longer here from 2012:

AGon

Crawford

Beckett

Punto

Ross

Youkilis

Schoppach

Dice-K

Aviles

Cook

Ciriaco

Padilla

Atchison

Melancon

Albers

Mortensen

and others

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Moon,

The dysfunction that was the 2011 and 2012 Red Sox was a byproduct of the strife and power struggles in the front office with Theo and Larry. Which ultimately led to Francona's all to public dismisal and then the hiring of Valentine and was at the heart of the many questionable roster decisions begining in 2008.

The poster boy for the dysfunction was Crawford a player who didn't fit the Red Sox profile and was signed because of the need to feed the PR monster to a contract that has had a ripple effect throughout the game and today Ellsbury can thank Crawford and his agent for negotiating and signing a deal that paid him in excess of 20M. The Lackey signing was another that was juxtaposed to the organizations historical practice when negotiating long term deals with pitchers with pre-existing injuries (Pedro). Which then put them in a position where they then compounded that by extending Beckett's deal dispite he too pitching with diminished stuff and struggling to stay healthy since 2007. The Texieira fiasco was another example where they placed to much emphesis on the acquisition of a new shiny toy which alienated and caused a ton of stife with Youkilis...who was at the time a gold glove, 900 plus OPS, homegrown talent. The aquisiton of Gonzalez was the final nail in the coffin. While letting guys like Beltre and Martinez walk in the interest of netting draft picks. In a nut shell the Sox leadership lost sight of the value of roster construction and the cause and effect that gamers have on the clubhouse and the synergy of a team concept. 

I could go on but it's clear that Henry learned a valuable lesson in the process and today the team and it's leadership have returned to the values and disciplines that helped them to rebuild the brand that is the Boston Red Sox Baseball Club of the American League.  Having won three rings since taking over the franchise along with all of the other noteworthy accomplishments are a testement to the competency of the ownership group. Hopefully each of the key players know thier roles and continue to work in the best interest of the team...therein lyes the key to never allowing the dysfunction of 2012 to take root again...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

Moon,

The dysfunction that was the 2011 and 2012 Red Sox was a byproduct of the strife and power struggles in the front office with Theo and Larry. Which ultimately led to Francona's all to public dismisal and then the hiring of Valentine and was at the heart of the many questionable roster decisions begining in 2008.

The poster boy for the dysfunction was Crawford a player who didn't fit the Red Sox profile and was signed because of the need to feed the PR monster to a contract that has had a ripple effect throughout the game and today Ellsbury can thank Crawford and his agent for negotiating and signing a deal that paid him in excess of 20M. The Lackey signing was another that was juxtaposed to the organizations historical practice when negotiating long term deals with pitchers with pre-existing injuries (Pedro). Which then put them in a position where they then compounded that by extending Beckett's deal dispite he too pitching with diminished stuff and struggling to stay healthy since 2007. The Texieira fiasco was another example where they placed to much emphesis on the acquisition of a new shiny toy which alienated and caused a ton of stife with Youkilis...who was at the time a gold glove, 900 plus OPS, homegrown talent. The aquisiton of Gonzalez was the final nail in the coffin. While letting guys like Beltre and Martinez walk in the interest of netting draft picks. In a nut shell the Sox leadership lost sight of the value of roster construction and the cause and effect that gamers have on the clubhouse and the synergy of a team concept. 

I could go on but it's clear that Henry learned a valuable lesson in the process and today the team and it's leadership have returned to the values and disciplines that helped them to rebuild the brand that is the Boston Red Sox Baseball Club of the American League.  Having won three rings since taking over the franchise along with all of the other noteworthy accomplishments are a testement to the competency of the ownership group. Hopefully each of the key players know thier roles and continue to work in the best interest of the team...therein lyes the key to never allowing the dysfunction of 2012 to take root again...

Well stated bean. I do agree that the CC signing was the beginning of the end. At the time I said his contract "would cripple us for years and years", but Ben did a great job by getting out from under the deal and at the same time Beckett's and to some extent AGon's as well.

That's one reason I called the Dodger trade "perhaps the best Sox deal in my lifetime".  I loved the trade even without the decent prospects due to the amount of salary space it cleared up, including AGon's megadeal. While AGon is a fine talent, his contract was still an overpay for a position stacked with available talent that is just a step below AGon but at a fraction of the cost. (Napoli actually outplayed AGon in 2013 for just over half the cost.)

Here's the salary relief the deal created (not counting some relief in 2012):

2013: $57.4M (AG $21.9, CC $20.9, JB $17M, NP $1.5M - $3.9 BOS payment)

2014: $56.1M (AG $21.9, CC $21.1, JB $17M - $3.9 BOS payment)

2015: $39.4M (AG $21.9, CC $21.4M - $3.9M BOS payment)

2016: $43.4M (AG $21.8M & CC $21.6M)

2017: $44.3M (AG $22.4M & CC $21.9M)

2018: $22.4M (AG alone)

Looking at 2013, the $57+M allowed us to sign these players:

$13.25M Dempster

$13M Napoli (including incentives he met)

$13M Victorino

$9.5M Drew

$5M Gomes

$3.1M Ross

or, if you prefer a more positive look:

$13M Napoli (including incentives he met)

$13M Victorino

$9.5M Drew

$5M Gomes

~$5M for 2 months+ of Peavy

$4.25M Uehara

$3.1M Ross

For 2014: Napoli, Dempster, Victorino, AJP & Gomes

or sub Peavy for Dempster, or 

Napoli, Victorino, AJP, Mujica, Gomes,  Uehara & Ross

2015: ???

Napoli $16M, Victorino $13M, +$15M TBA

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Can Hassan play CF credibly? He has a few games there in the minors, but back in 2011.

Would like to see him get an opening, if not this spring then sometime this season. Over .400 career OBP in the minors? Come on!

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Mr Moon ..... You are at least 5 names off here........   but to early to worry about it .......  IE: Holt, Carp, Peavy, Dempster......  I see Workman, Britton, Owens.... Making the roster on the trip North !!!

Herrera for Holt

Workman if Dempster is dealt.

Britton starts in AAA, unless someone is injured.

Owens may make it by June or July.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

[QUOTE]

Moon,

[/QUOTE]

Nice post.

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall with the big three...Larry L, Werner, and Henry discussing strategy.  Do you suppose is was Larry L. who capitulated?  It certainly seems so.  If so, was it Henry who actually took control?  It was Larry L. who was responsible for the Valentine ordeal.  Was it decided to give Ben C. more influence?  This seems so, yet Larry L. hired Valentine over the objection of Ben C.  Yet, the second Theo put on his Gorilla suit, Ben&Co made the big trade.

I guess everything does seem to stem from the dislike between the front office and Theo.

Henry isn't wealthy because he's stupid.  But, it's just hard for me to imagine him putting Larry L. in his place.

I'd just love to know what really goes on in their minds.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbs2007. Show tbs2007's posts

The Sox should make Breslow a starter, and see what they can get for Doubront.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to tbs2007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Idiotic.

If the Sox want to trade Doubront, there are other guys they can slide in as a starter. Breslow has never started a game in professional baseball -- majors or minors -- except for two minor league starts on what likely were rehab assignments when he likely just pitched a couple of innings to build arm strength.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbs2007. Show tbs2007's posts

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Idiotic.

If the Sox want to trade Doubront, there are other guys they can slide in as a starter. Breslow has never started a game in professional baseball -- majors or minors -- except for two minor league starts on what likely were rehab assignments when he likely just pitched a couple of innings to build arm strength.

[/QUOTE]

SARCASM!

Breslow should not even be mentioned on this 25 man roster after his postseason.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Idiotic.

[/QUOTE]

SARCASM!

Breslow should not even be mentioned on this 25 man roster after his postseason.

[/QUOTE]

I hope this is sarcasm too.

Breslow had a great year. And what do you mean postseason? In the ALDS and ALCS, he combined for 7 IP, 0 ER, 3 H, 6 K, 5 BB. He just ran out of gas in the World Series. The walks in the Tigers' series was a clue that he was about to hit a wall.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Breslow had an incredible 2nd half of 2013:

0.65 ERA

0.976 WHIP

.537 OPS against

Followed by the ALDS and ALCS, where he combined for 7 IP, 0 ER, 3 H, 6 K, 5 BB. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's usually idiots who are the bureaucrats and promotional projects.

...or pretend lawyers, racists, bigots or all of the above.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

What a clown.

I have never once reported anyone.

I am totally against censorship, even from clowns racists and bigots.

Maybe if you knew how to read, you could follow along.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Moon,

[/QUOTE]

Nice post.

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall with the big three...Larry L, Werner, and Henry discussing strategy.  Do you suppose is was Larry L. who capitulated?  It certainly seems so.  If so, was it Henry who actually took control?  It was Larry L. who was responsible for the Valentine ordeal.  Was it decided to give Ben C. more influence?  This seems so, yet Larry L. hired Valentine over the objection of Ben C.  Yet, the second Theo put on his Gorilla suit, Ben&Co made the big trade.

I guess everything does seem to stem from the dislike between the front office and Theo.

Henry isn't wealthy because he's stupid.  But, it's just hard for me to imagine him putting Larry L. in his place.

I'd just love to know what really goes on in their minds.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the kind words. Personally I'm just happy all of the bs and dysfunction has faded to black. My intuition suggests that no one capitulated as much as with Epstiens departure the hierarchy of the team and their respective roles were better defined and with that the middle management a d thier key staff members no longer feel the pressure of serving two masters. 

It has been well documented that Henry is not a micro-manager. Rather empowers his senior management team and allows all to have a voice. Luccino was and is charged with oversight of the day to day operations of the team, he's not to be the sole voice of baseball operations. But is one of the key reasons why they've had the successes they had since Henry, Werner and Luchino bought the club. Luchino is the archect of the overall organizations strategic planing along with Henry who learned "How to build a major league baseball club" during his time when he was a minority partner of the Yankees. Werner brings the marketing and brand building expertise in concert with Henry. Luchino is the equivalent of Levine with the Yanks...both are the hammers that oversee the business and are charged with ensuring the teams meet expected goals in terms of performance on the field, but more importantly that they achieve thier budgeted profit goals.

Professional baseball teams are not unlike all successful businesses. Each begin with a mission statement which typically speaks to the values of the organization and is used to measure all decision that impact the brand. from that the next most important factor is building an infrastructure to support the acheivemnt of the goals, begining with hiring and training managers and employees who embody the character traits and the skills nessesary to enact the company's goal and live the phylosophy. This is where Luchino excels and his track record for success in the oversight of a baseball franchises is well documented, but he also has to have some parameters to ensure he stays on coarse and allows his direct reports to have a voice, which where Henry and Werner come into play. My guess is that they don't always agree on what is the best coarse, but most important is that they all come to an understanding reach a consensus and speak with one voice. Which was a problem during the time of the power struggle between Luchino and Epstien. Hopefully the lesson learned that won't be repeated is that as Cherington continues his career accention and one day is ready to take the next step that they better define the roles and not create another two headed monster...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Personally I'm just happy all of the bs and dysfunction has faded to black. My intuition suggests that no one capitulated as much as with Epstiens departure the hierarchy of the team and their respective roles were better defined and with that the middle management a d thier key staff members no longer feel the pressure of serving two masters. 

It has been well documented that Henry is not a micro-manager. Rather empowers his senior management team and allows all to have a voice. Luccino was and is charged with oversight of the day to day operations of the team, he's not to be the sole voice of baseball operations. But is one of the key reasons why they've had the successes they had since Henry, Werner and Luchino bought the club. Luchino is the archect of the overall organizations strategic planing along with Henry who learned "How to build a major league baseball club" during his time when he was a minority partner of the Yankees. Werner brings the marketing and brand building expertise in concert with Henry. Luchino is the equivalent of Levine with the Yanks...both are the hammers that oversee the business and are charged with ensuring the teams meet expected goals in terms of performance on the field, but more importantly that they achieve thier budgeted profit goals.

Professional baseball teams are not unlike all successful businesses. Each begin with a mission statement which typically speaks to the values of the organization and is used to measure all decision that impact the brand. from that the next most important factor is building an infrastructure to support the acheivemnt of the goals, begining with hiring and training managers and employees who embody the character traits and the skills nessesary to enact the company's goal and live the phylosophy. This is where Luchino excels and his track record for success in the oversight of a baseball franchises is well documented, but he also has to have some parameters to ensure he stays on coarse and allows his direct reports to have a voice, which where Henry and Werner come into play. My guess is that they don't always agree on what is the best coarse, but most important is that they all come to an understanding reach a consensus and speak with one voice. Which was a problem during the time of the power struggle between Luchino and Epstien. Hopefully the lesson learned that won't be repeated is that as Cherington continues his career accention and one day is ready to take the next step that they better define the roles and not create another two headed monster...

Bean, you are making a strong case for "Poster of the Year".

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]

Personally I'm just happy all of the bs and dysfunction has faded to black. My intuition suggests that no one capitulated as much as with Epstiens departure the hierarchy of the team and their respective roles were better defined and with that the middle management a d thier key staff members no longer feel the pressure of serving two masters. 

Bean, you are making a strong case for "Poster of the Year".

[/QUOTE]

Coming from you that's a huge compliment, thanks....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

0.65 ERA

0.976 WHIP

.537 OPS against

Followed by the ALDS and ALCS, where he combined for 7 IP, 0 ER, 3 H, 6 K, 5 BB. 

[/QUOTE]

Breslow was good, but among Sox relievers only Workman and Morales were worth fewer WAR in the second half. and Morales was worh 0.1 less in hlf the appearances.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

0.65 ERA

0.976 WHIP

.537 OPS against

[/QUOTE]

Breslow was good, but among Sox relievers only Workman and Morales were worth fewer WAR in the second half. and Morales was worh 0.1 less in hlf the appearances.

[/QUOTE]

They need to revamp how they calculate RP WAR.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Tend to agree. 

Closers get too much credit and tbe rest of the pen doesn't get enough...

Sections
Shortcuts