Projected Opening Day lineup - Yankee Stadium. Check out the Left fielder!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Re: Projected Opening Day lineup - Yankee Stadium. Check out the Left fielder!

Sweeney and JBJ playing now. I wonder if Sweeney is looking at the Yankees signing Overbay in a heartbeat and thinking maybe he would look good in pinstripes. It's interesting that they never considered Sweeney at 1st. I wonder why. He looks like he could have done it.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to UnionFallsNY's comment:

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Sweeney and JBJ playing now. I wonder if Sweeney is looking at the Yankees signing Overbay in a heartbeat and thinking maybe he would look good in pinstripes. It's interesting that they never considered Sweeney at 1st. I wonder why. He looks like he could have done it.

Yankees might have had a greater need to sign Overbay than Boston did. The scouts know if Sweeney can play firstbase and we don't.

I personally think Sweeney is highly under-rated due to his power outage.  Yes!  He also needs serious work on the Slugging % & OPS, but I think with a little work with a power guy those numbers could come up significantly.  Good - very good fielder.  Decent arm. 

I really like the guy.  He needs to be with a small market team, and get the playing time.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

Yankees might have had a greater need to sign Overbay than Boston did. The scouts know if Sweeney can play firstbase and we don't.

I personally think Sweeney is highly under-rated due to his power outage.  Yes!  He also needs serious work on the Slugging % & OPS, but I think with a little work with a power guy those numbers could come up significantly.  Good - very good fielder.  Decent arm. 

I really like the guy.  He needs to be with a small market team, and get the playing time.

We all know OBP is worth more than SLG%, so OPS is not a good stat for guys like Sweeney.

I like this:

Career .347 OBP vs RHPs (.749 OPS)

As a reference:

Victorino .330 (.732)

Gomes     .307 (.732)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

We all know OBP is worth more than SLG%, so OPS is not a good stat for guys like Sweeney.

I like this:

Career .347 OBP vs RHPs (.749 OPS)

As a reference:

Victorino .330 (.732)

Gomes     .307 (.732)

I agree that Sweeney doesnt get credit for those numbers but as you have stated before Nava's numbers vs RHP is much better than those.....and Nava was really the guy he had to beat out, and Nava also added the !b glove to his bag.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

So why did Sweeney never get 1st base time, even though if anything he had a better body for 1st base as compared to Nava? Does anyone really think here that Nava was better suited for 1st? I think Sweeney was considered deep depth insurance from day one. 

I like his numbers also but he's been around for a while and does not appear to be trending up in the power department even. For some reason, he just can't hit for power and wasn't expected to do so anytime soon. He's not primarily a CF. They almost didn't even give him a shot from appearances as he signed late in the winter if I remember correctly. 

He might be a great guy and he might just also be a guy who never goes near the weight room. We don't know what the deal is but they cut him, when a lot of conventional logic said keep him at least for a few weeks and send JBJ to AAA ball.

And that doesn't appear to be happening.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Bradley absolutely looks for real to me. And it's for the little things Farrell discussed today, more than the numbers from ST. Some of his hits were seeing eye but he got up against a lot of decent LH pitching and he produced. The kid is probably more of a fulltime player right now than Victorino. He is at least going to get on base and play good defense. I think we have a real solid player in Bradley and Iglesias is looking like a mlb level player now also.

I love it. This is great to me. I like what they are doing. The heck with the extra year of control. It may well be that they can still secure that by giving him a 20 game rest later in the year, as he probably will need it but JBJ is probably opening the year in Yankee stadium's left field and just maybe a "star" is born. Just maybe they are listening to their consultants. It's called market research and they are no strangers to it. Focus groups...etc. 

The fan buzz this creates is potentially underestimated by many on this forum. He is tremendous for season ticket sales. And TV revenue, advertising sales...etc. I bet this makes sense financially for them and it also makes sense on the field. This is happening for a reason. They are not stupid in the FO. We just don't see all the factors they see. It was a decision involving a lot of variables and that sort of decision often gets underappreciated. 

He was still with the team this morning. The hand writing was on the wall that something was up.