11 H
    3 R
    2 ER
    2 BB
    25 K
    ERA: 1.00
    WHIP: 0.72

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Promote Matt Barnes to Portland (AA)

Cool your jets. He's had 2 starts at high A.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In Response to Re: Promote Matt Barnes to Portland (AA):
    [QUOTE]Cool your jets. He's had 2 starts at high A.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Actually it was his 3rd start at Class A advaced league but all those 3 starts were ace type numbers and IMO it was promosing for our young talented pitcher who's on fast track.  His last 3 starts at high A, 18 IP/ 1.00 ERA/ 11 H/ 3 R/ 2 ER/ 2 BB/ 25 SO.  25:2 K:BB ratio.  This is good stuff that he can control his pitches and strike batters out.  If he replicates same numbers for next 1 or 2 starts, he will be pitching with Ranaudo. 

GO SOX!!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Completely agree with Carnie on this one. Let him continue to dominate A ball for May, June and at least 1/2 of July. AA in August would set up a mid-season callup possibility for 2013.

We really don't know the progress of Barnes' secondary pitches and so far he's getting by on raw stuff. With such an obvious blue chip prospect it's very easy to screw up his development with too much pressure too fast. ( Hansen ? ).

By 2014 if all goes well we'll have a solid # 1 or # 2 .

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'll be near Portland this June/July. I'd love to watch him pitch!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If he continues to dominate and get even better then yes I can see a promotion to Portland.....but I still think no matter what he spends more time in Salem.  Either way he likely will start 13 in Portland and if he dominates there will quickly move up to Pawtucket.  We may see him in late 2013 during an august call-up at this point, and if all goes well he may be starting as early as 2014.

Regardless he needs his time to develop, eventually he will get challenge and then we will see what he is really made of.  I want to see how he can pitch with men on base and in Jams.

but his numbers look good, and I hope he can maintain that control. 1.2BB/9  Thats pretty good.

When is the last time we had a true ACE with excellent control who didn't walk anyone?  Very excited to watch this kid develop

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]Cool your jets. He's had 2 starts at high A.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Yes, please don't comment unless you have the facts.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]I'll be near Portland this June/July. I'd love to watch him pitch!
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

moon - I'm thinking you will see him. It's not like he's a 19 year old kid. He played college ball at a very high level.  You'll see him in July.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

He may have to wait until he gets to Portland or perhaps the PawSox to have  runners on base against him. He will be tested but I would say keep him moving until he gets challenged--it's the only way you will know how he reacts.

and the point of keeping him back after another start or two at Salem--perhaps two trips around AA--then maybe to the Paw Sox for the playoffs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Doubters like carnie, please read below:

Matt Barnes, the minor league leader in strikeouts, had his fewest punchouts of the season, tallying "just" five over six innings in his eighth start of the year (and his third since being promoted to High-A Salem) while relying primarily on his fastball. Yet he enjoyed his best statistical line.

The right-hander permitted just three baserunners — two on singles, one on a walk — in delivering six shutout innings, needing just 74 pitches (47 strikes) to get through the outing. It was the first time he had not given up a run in a High-A start (though in fairness, he gave up just one earned run in each of his first two starts at the level). Three starts into his time at Salem, Barnes now has a 1.00 ERA while averaging 12.5 strikeouts and one walk per nine innings. Opponents are hitting .175 against him.

Barnes, of course, will need a more complete mix in order to continue his dominance. But on Thursday, he kept his swing-and-miss curve and changeup in his pocket for most of the game, since his fastball command and life were good enough to mow through the Carolina lineup.

It wasn’t preplanned, but that emphasis on his fastball has developmental value, since the Sox have wanted Barnes to work on further honing his fastball command — something that can be difficult to do when throwing 94-98 mph in the lower levels of the minors, with the sort of velocity on which young hitters rarely can punish missed locations.

This is the challenge of Barnes’ development to date. His stuff is simply better than the level of competition at which he’s been playing. Even on a day when he leans primarily on one pitch, he can dominate.

At 21, he has been overpowering. His 0.60 ERA is the best in the minors. He continues to lead the minors with 67 punchouts. His 0.65 WHIP is the best in the minors, and opponents’ .148 batting average against him is the fifth lowest in the minors. It is the sort of performance that forces prospects onto a fast track, simply in order to ensure that they are challenged enough to continue their development

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Pitching is not rocket science. He gains nothing by continuing to dominate A ball.  Move him up.  Challenge him.  Move Bradley up to AA , also.  Fast track.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE] Pitching is not rocket science. He gains nothing by continuing to dominate A ball.  Move him up.  Challenge him.  Move Bradley up to AA , also.  Fast track.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

Give Barnes at least a couple more starts at High A, but I don't see anything that would indicate that he shouldn't see AA this year.  Bradley should get the call to AA at some point this summer as well, he's gotten back what power he had before the wrist injury and has a OBP near .500 through 33 games.  He needs to be challenged at some point.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE] Pitching is not rocket science. He gains nothing by continuing to dominate A ball.  Move him up.  Challenge him.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

Agreed that he needs to be challenged, but that's because there is a lot more to pitching that what he has to do in high A ball.  He needs to be forced to mix his pitches. His stuff is so good that he doesn't have to mix them at Salem, move him to AA and he should be forced to start pitching instead of throwing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

I don't want the fast track, I want the right track.  The guy is clearly a big talent with huge upside....isn't it reasonable to assume the Sox know what they are doing and a bunch of people on the internet don't have enough information to make the decision to move him up?

Maybe they want to build his confidence....maybe he's been told to work on a few things....who knows?  Maybe they are just being slightly conservative with a guy that could become a star.

Not only that, but if ends up pitching some games in AA this year isn't two promotions in one year the "fast track"?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tartarus12. Show tartarus12's posts

From what I hear about Barnes is his offspeed stuff needs work. Right now he's just blowing guys away with his fastball. There's no need to rush him. He'll be in Boston soon enough.

On a side note. In last nights Salem game Brandon Jacobs did something I have never heard of. In his first three at bats he singled. He then got picked off first base each time. I don't recall that ever happening.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]From what I hear about Barnes is his offspeed stuff needs work. Right now he's just blowing guys away with his fastball. There's no need to rush him. He'll be in Boston soon enough. On a side note. In last nights Salem game Brandon Jacobs did something I have never heard of. In his first three at bats he singled. He then got picked off first base each time. I don't recall that ever happening.
    Posted by tartarus12[/QUOTE]

That's exactly why he needs to move up to AA at some point this season.  How much motivation does he really have to develop his secondary pitches if he can just blow everyone away with his fastball?  It's not like we're talking about some HS kid either, he isn't that young for AA.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tartarus12. Show tartarus12's posts

I never said he shouldn't be moved up this year. I said his offspeed stuff needed work. You do that at the high A level. He needs to be rocked at the high A level and respond favorably. That's how you develop a pitcher. Not moving him up too fast and destroying his confidence when he's not ready.In Response to Re: Promote Matt Barnes to Portland (AA):
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Promote Matt Barnes to Portland (AA) : That's exactly why he needs to move up to AA at some point this season.  How much motivation does he really have to develop his secondary pitches if he can just blow everyone away with his fastball?  It's not like we're talking about some HS kid either, he isn't that young for AA.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]I never said he shouldn't be moved up this year. I said his offspeed stuff needed work. You do that at the high A level. He needs to be rocked at the high A level and respond favorably. That's how you develop a pitcher. Not moving him up too fast and destroying his confidence when he's not ready.In Response to Re: Promote Matt Barnes to Portland (AA) :
    Posted by tartarus12[/QUOTE]

Normally I would agree with you, however he has too big of a safety net pitching at A+, since he can simply overpower the hitters.  He has plenty of confidence at this point, that's why he was started off in Greeneville.  To be clear, I'm not saying promote him right now like some other posters are, I'm just saying that there doesn't seem to be any reason to keep him at Salem for the rest of the year.  At some point he needs to be challenged to force him to work on his secondary stuff.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I was at Portland tonight against Binghamton Mets and they won 4-0. Billy Buckner was the WP.
    I cant wait to see him pitch in Portland but I don't want him rushed. I figure he will be moved up in July.
    Bryce Brentz is the real deal in RF. I will be shocked if he isn't pushing to start for the Red Sox in 2014 in RF.  I love the kid, he has such good poise at the plate and he has the tools in the field to be a gold glove with a cannon for an arm.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Promote Matt Barnes to Portland (AA) : Normally I would agree with you, however he has too big of a safety net pitching at A+, since he can simply overpower the hitters.  He has plenty of confidence at this point, that's why he was started off in Greeneville.  To be clear, I'm not saying promote him right now like some other posters are, I'm just saying that there doesn't seem to be any reason to keep him at Salem for the rest of the year.  At some point he needs to be challenged to force him to work on his secondary stuff.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

If Cherington is like Epstein, he won't be in High A ball for more than half a season, and he will be moved on to Portland to be challenged.

The mostimportant thing with Barnes is to build the arm strength.  Confidence comes and goes, and never leaves for some.   But moving an arm along too fast can lead to problems that never go away, and has ended many promising minor league careers...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Promote Matt Barnes to Portland (AA) : If Cherington is like Epstein, he won't be in High A ball for more than half a season, and he will be moved on to Portland to be challenged. The mostimportant thing with Barnes is to build the arm strength.  Confidence comes and goes, and never leaves for some.   But moving an arm along too fast can lead to problems that never go away, and has ended many promising minor league careers...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Completely agree.  As lights out as he's been, he really should even be a consideration for anything more than a 2013 September call-up working out of the pen and 2014 starter in the best case scenario.  He threw 116 2/3 innings last year, so he should be good to make the jump to 140 innings this year (20% jump) and then about 168 in 2013.  That set's him up nicely for a 200 inning season in 2014.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Promote Matt Barnes to Portland (AA) : Completely agree.  As lights out as he's been, he really should even be a consideration for anything more than a 2013 September call-up working out of the pen and 2014 starter in the best case scenario.  He threw 116 2/3 innings last year, so he should be good to make the jump to 140 innings this year (20% jump) and then about 168 in 2013.  That set's him up nicely for a 200 inning season in 2014.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

I agree as well...If he continues to dominate through Double A this season, then he may get a call-up for a week or so this September when the rosters expand, if for nothing more than to get him a taste of the Bigs, "off" the field, which is something a lot of teams like to do with top prospects.   

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Promote Matt Barnes to Portland (AA) : I agree as well...If he continues to dominate through Double A this season, then he may get a call-up for a week or so this September when the rosters expand, if for nothing more than to get him a taste of the Bigs, "off" the field, which is something a lot of teams like to do with top prospects.   
    Posted by jasko2248[/QUOTE]

I would try to avoid that this season.  No reason to burn one of his options or take up a 40 man roster spot so early.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Promote Matt Barnes to Portland (AA) : I would try to avoid that this season.  No reason to burn one of his options or take up a 40 man roster spot so early.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

A September call-up while on the 40 man doesn't burn an option year.  It's one of the exceptions.  Also, it's possible that Barnes may qualify for a 4th option year if he goes through the first three before his 5 years of service are up and he is given a Major League contract.  This kid looks like he's on the fast track and he'll be 22 in a few weeks, so we'll see I guess.   

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Promote Matt Barnes to Portland (AA) : A September call-up while on the 40 man doesn't burn an option year.  It's one of the exceptions.  Also, it's possible that Barnes may qualify for a 4th option year if he goes through the first three before his 5 years of service are up and he is given a Major League contract.  This kid looks like he's on the fast track and he'll be 22 in a few weeks, so we'll see I guess.   
    Posted by jasko2248[/QUOTE]

Ok, but that still doesn't address the 40 man roster crunch that the Sox went through last winter and will have to go through again.  I'm just not sure that the value is there in giving him a 40 man roster spot this season.

Sections
Shortcuts