Proposed New MLB/NFL rule

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Proposed New MLB/NFL rule

Actually I'd like to see this for all sports.

Any player arrested for any reason shall not play in any games or get paid until the the reason for the arrest is ajudicated.

If the arrest was ajudicated in the player's favor he/she shall recieve all back pay.

This just might make these privleged people think about what they do in their spare time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Proposed New MLB/NFL rule

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

Any player arrested for any reason shall not play in any games or get paid until the the reason for the arrest is ajudicated.

If the arrest was ajudicated in the player's favor he/she shall recieve all back pay.

This just might make these privleged people think about what they do in their spare time.

Great IDEA Jim..........  The LAWYERS will love it !!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

No offense, but what about the presumption of innocense?

Let's just imagine a young woman who has been jilted by said player decides to get even & cry "rape."  Not that that woud ever happen????  i.e. The Duke lacrosse players.....

Now I grant you, the majority of women who would claim such a thing, would absolutely do so with merit.  Still, your proposition is absolutely made on the presumption of guilt, and should be rejected by anyone with a respect for constitutional rights. 

Again.....  no offense, as perhaps 90+% of the time, this silly rule would be a just one, as the guilty would receive quick justice.  Not so much for the 10-% who would be grievously harmed. 

Before you go off on me being a knee-jerk liberal, intent upon protecting the "rights" of the guilty, & ignoring the victims, think again.  I'm all for putting away those who would prey upon the innocent.  Take child molesters for instance.  If found guilty, they should never again see the light of day.  Lock them up & never let them out!  If proven guilty, they shoul be "fixed" & locked up for good!  I'm absolutely dead set against "protecting the guilty!"  Remy's kid never would have had the option of being out on bail.  Never would have had the option of having that restraining order removed.  If there is significant evidence that someone poses a danger to one person, or the public at large, then I'm all for keeping them behind bars.  A player busted with some pot?  Not so much!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Can't be with you on this one, Jim. I understand where you're coming from, but I'm sorry -- innocent until proven guilty.

I know you have the back pay provision, but still ...

Beyond that:

Being arrested for a felony is different than being arrested for a misdemeanor. 

If you're an owner and you have an investment in a star player, are you really not going to play him if he's arrested for something relatively minor, even if he is guilty, and the player has no history of being a troublemaker.

Your proposal is too broad in my opinion.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

Isn't that what the Patriots did with Aaron Hernandez? He got arrested, and bam, off the team, no more checks, no more nothin'. Meanwhile, the case against him gets weaker and weaker.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I suspect the issue would need to come up in negotiations between MLB and the players union.

Starting on Page 48 of the current MLB Collective Bargaining Agreement, Article XII covers discipline:

http://mlb.mlb.com/pa/pdf/cba_english.pdf

Among other provisions: "Players may be disciplined for conduct that is materially detrimental or materially prejudicial to the best interests of Baseball including, but not limited to, engaging in conduct in violation of federal, state or local law."

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

x

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to crowtrobot's comment:

Bad idea, Jim. Not surprised, you being from Florida and all.

Live in Florida born and lived in Mass for 50 years

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

No offense, but what about the presumption of innocense?

Let's just imagine a young woman who has been jilted by said player decides to get even & cry "rape."  Not that that woud ever happen????  i.e. The Duke lacrosse players.....

Now I grant you, the majority of women who would claim such a thing, would absolutely do so with merit.  Still, your proposition is absolutely made on the presumption of guilt, and should be rejected by anyone with a respect for constitutional rights. 

Again.....  no offense, as perhaps 90+% of the time, this silly rule would be a just one, as the guilty would receive quick justice.  Not so much for the 10-% who would be grievously harmed. 

Before you go off on me being a knee-jerk liberal, intent upon protecting the "rights" of the guilty, & ignoring the victims, think again.  I'm all for putting away those who would prey upon the innocent.  Take child molesters for instance.  If found guilty, they should never again see the light of day.  Lock them up & never let them out!  If proven guilty, they shoul be "fixed" & locked up for good!  I'm absolutely dead set against "protecting the guilty!"  Remy's kid never would have had the option of being out on bail.  Never would have had the option of having that restraining order removed.  If there is significant evidence that someone poses a danger to one person, or the public at large, then I'm all for keeping them behind bars.  A player busted with some pot?  Not so much!

I agree on some of what you say but my idea is to have players think about what they are going to do or where they are going. Players too often do what they want with out regard for the consequences. If they know that an arrest will immediately put them on the sideline with NO money they just may actually think before they get drunk at the local strip club or take that girl to their hotel room. The idea is about prevention.

would you get drunk at a club then drive home knowing you are out of work for some period of time??

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Most of the trouble that athletes and all celebrities get into is usually driving while intoxicated. I will never understand this. I have never driven myself anywhere that I was going to where I was going to be drinking if I was going alone to meet friends or family. Get a driver. It's not like they can't afford it. It's just ridiculous to me that they continue to drive themselves. They really should be charged with stupidity.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

Most of the trouble that athletes and all celebrities get into is usually driving while intoxicated. I will never understand this. I have never driven myself anywhere that I was going to where I was going to be drinking if I was going alone to meet friends or family. Get a driver. It's not like they can't afford it. It's just ridiculous to me that they continue to drive themselves. They really should be charged with stupidity.

It's not just athletes who get the DUIs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Yeah, don't forget the Kennedy's.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

Well, I did say athletes and all celebrities. Really the only ones you hear about ad nauseum. There's really is no excuse for not having a driver, especially when you're in the position that they're in.

Sections
Shortcuts