Prospect News!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Prospect News!

Many of us have heard about the fast starts of Bryce Brentz, Middlebrooks and others. Ranaudo has thrown 2 straight starts without giving up a run. Chris Hernandez recently started a game and pitched very well, giving up no runs. What I want to comment on though is:

1) So far Reddick is hitting over .300 with 2 doubles and a HR but most importantly 5 walks so far in under 30 AB. He currently has a .419 OBP.

2) Sean Coyle has had a deceptively great start in that he is hitting only .213 but with 2 doubles and a HR and 10 walks in 19 official AB. His OPS is currently .940 and his OBP is .467. Only 1 error while playing SS for Greenville, just out of HS. This shows an outstanding plate approach and a mature overall game. It is unusual to even be playing in Greenville at all just out of high school. He's doing great so far.

3) Both Iglesias and Linares are hitting over .300 and doing well in Pawtucket.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Prospect News!

Good starts indeed, but small sample sizes.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

"Small sample size" hasn't stopped many people from condemning half the major league roster along with the manager and the GM already...right now I'll take any good news.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

About what I expected from Linares and Iglesias. Those guys are going to help the Red Sox soon, IMO. Great news about Reddick though. If he could get his bat together he could be very good. He has a cannon for an arm doesn't he?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

The reports on Ranaudo, Reddick, Iglesias and Linares is quite delightful. My hope is that Ranaudo ends up being much better than Kelly. I'd love to see Iglesais and Linares, after roster expansion, if not before. Reddick's trade value should be going up some.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

The best news of all to me was the start Coyle is giving, in an age advanced situation. He seems to have his act together. He appears to be Pedroia with more strength and quickness. We will not know for a long time what is in his heart but he looks like Pedroia on the field only stronger and quicker. He's getting walks like no one else in baseball. He's making Youk look like a piker!

Is he trying to do what the development team is telling him in terms of approach?It certainly looks like it. And he is getting some results with it in an age advanced situation. As he gets more adjusted to the league it would seem that his average will go up. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Good call on Coyle Boomer.  I'm pretty impressed with Brentz so far.  KLaw was really high on him when the Sox drafted him but said his swing was really messed up all last yr.  Looks like he found his stroke and has his power back.  It would be great to develop a true RH power hitting OF.  That Greenville team looks pretty strong so far.  Brandon jacobs also got off to a good start.

Regarding salem, I don't see much offense there.  Their good players from last yr moved up to Portland and they have many guys from last yr's Greenville squad that was offensively challenged.

Another guy to watch closely is Federowicz.  From what I've reads, he is the best of the Sox' catching prospects defensively.  He also got off to a good start with the bat.  He may be the Sox best hope in the organization for a starting catcher down the road.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

The Greenville team looks record setting awesome right now. Great pitching and hitting. Lots of young talent down there. To me, Federowicz will have a hard time carrying that bat all year long. I know the sample sizes are still tiny but there are some indications of "approach" improvements. Guys can get hot and put up great numbers, especially mistake hitters at the beginning of the year, but when I see Reddick getting 5 walks and Coyle 10 walks in 19 official AB that is great information regarding their approach. It's encouraging.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Reddick had 3 hits, including a double and more 2 walks tonight. I think he's hitting around .369 now. Maybe he is emerging this year to be the player lots of us projected earlier. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

One guy off to a horrendous start is Drake Britton @ Salem.  Hammered in his first 2 starts.  12 hits and 11 earned runs in 4.1 innings for a 22.85 era.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Ranaudo is in Single A right now. Lets see what he can do in Triple AAA then we can get excited.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Reddick is better than Drew already.  Get him up and tell Drew to go home to Valdosta.

And there is no reason to wait on Inglesias.  Scutaro has no upside and will not improve. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

In Response to Re: Prospect News!:
    [QUOTE]Ranaudo is in Single A right now. Lets see what he can do in Triple AAA then we can get excited.
    Posted by AL34[/QUOTE]
    At least he is performing well in A ball. We've had a lot of guys start in Lowell and then tank. so far he is absolutely on target. Hernandez has started well also, and Stroup. Ranaudo might make it to AA ball this year if he keeps going.

Sections
Shortcuts