Prospect rankings season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Prospect rankings season

Thought this could use a thread of it's own, although I contemplated adding it to one of the others but it seems that BA's and Minor league ball have their own so why not start one for the Baseball Prospectus list. 

I generally agree and like the rankings, a few things I found interesting was how high they were on Vasquez and how low they were one Ranaudo.

SS Xander Bogaerts
    CF Jackie Bradley, Jr.
    3B Garin Cecchini
    RHP Matt Barnes
    LHP Henry Owens
    RHP Allen Webster
    C Blake Swihart
    2B Mookie Betts
    C Christian Vazquez
    LHP Trey Ball

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Re: Prospect rankings season

They nailed down my top ten list exactly as I would have placed it if you had a gun to my head today... here is the link by the way.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=22508

Ranaudo has been up and down so much in his prospect status, he is in danger of getting the Lars Anderson award next year.  I think out of all our prospect starters, he is most in danger of flaming out and being a bust next year IMO.  There was a great discussion about Ranaudo over at Soxprospects if you were interested in an analysis on the player in great detail.  At least the original poster's note is a great read and he did a lot of research and breakdown.

http://forum.soxprospects.com/thread/1482/anthony-ranaudo-thread-tale-seasons

That said, I don't think it is so much a knock on Ranaudo as it is an indicator of how strong our system is right now.  He is likely ranked at 11 with Workman at 12.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:

They nailed down my top ten list exactly as I would have placed it if you had a gun to my head today... here is the link by the way.

Ranaudo has been up and down so much in his prospect status, he is in danger of getting the Lars Anderson award next year.  I think out of all our prospect starters, he is most in danger of flaming out and being a bust next year IMO.  There was a great discussion about Ranaudo over at Soxprospects if you were interested in an analysis on the player in great detail.  At least the original poster's note is a great read and he did a lot of research and breakdown.

That said, I don't think it is so much a knock on Ranaudo as it is an indicator of how strong our system is right now.  He is likely ranked at 11 with Workman at 12.

I'm a little low on Ranaudo as well, but I still think he has potential.  He's been injured every other season and that has stunted his growth, with some consistency I only wonder what he could do with back to back healthy seasons.  That could add a tick to his fastball and help him improve it into the later parts of the season.  I can still see him being a #3 starter for a first division team.....But to me Owens, and Barnes are definitely ahead of him. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:

I'm a little low on Ranaudo as well, but I still think he has potential.  He's been injured every other season and that has stunted his growth, with some consistency I only wonder what he could do with back to back healthy seasons.  That could add a tick to his fastball and help him improve it into the later parts of the season.  I can still see him being a #3 starter for a first division team.....But to me Owens, and Barnes are definitely ahead of him. 

I think a lot of the people making up the ranking lists are being realistic.  They know that Ranaudo ran out of gas after about 80 innings last year.  They know his injury history and are starting to be divided on his upside being a starting pitcher or a relief pitcher. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Thought this could use a thread of it's own, although I contemplated adding it to one of the others but it seems that BA's and Minor league ball have their own so why not start one for the Baseball Prospectus list. 

I generally agree and like the rankings, a few things I found interesting was how high they were on Vasquez and how low they were one Ranaudo.

SS Xander Bogaerts
    CF Jackie Bradley, Jr.
    3B Garin Cecchini
    RHP Matt Barnes
    LHP Henry Owens
    RHP Allen Webster
    C Blake Swihart
    2B Mookie Betts
    C Christian Vazquez
    LHP Trey Ball

Pretty good list but I'm not a Webster fan at all, he reminds me of another (Phil Hughes) type who may have scattered success at the big league level.  Checchini would be on my list but not as a 3B just yet where he really needs to improve. 

My surprise pick for the top 10 is Alex Hassan.  At 25 he may be ready to help out before Brentz, I like his defense and splits better.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

I posted a link to the other prospect thread earlier with the Speier and Callis about the BA rankings.  I know this is BP, but the hour long prospect discussion that they had with each other was a great joy to find out the background info on these prospects and the thoughts that go into it.

http://audio.weei.com/a/85203797/minor-details-ep-72-baseball-america-s-red-sox-top-10-with-alex-speier-and-jim-callis.htm

The prospect that specifically stood out to me that they talked about was Manuel Margot.  From looking over his numbers on the year and the writeup on soxprospects he didn't really jump out at me and I was wondering why he was 14th over there.

Speier said that Margot almost made the top ten list for him and is the only other potential five tool player we have besides Mookie Betts.  He noted that Margot is our best outfield prospect behind Jackie Bradley Jr. even though he was only in Lowell @18 years old. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

SS Xander Bogaerts
    CF Jackie Bradley, Jr.
    3B Garin Cecchini
    RHP Matt Barnes
    LHP Henry Owens
    RHP Allen Webster
    C Blake Swihart
    2B Mookie Betts
    C Christian Vazquez
    LHP Trey Ball

Pretty good list but I'm not a Webster fan at all, he reminds me of another (Phil Hughes) type who may have scattered success at the big league level.  Checchini would be on my list but not as a 3B just yet where he really needs to improve. 

My surprise pick for the top 10 is Alex Hassan.  At 25 he may be ready to help out before Brentz, I like his defense and splits better.  

I'm not sure I would put Alex Hassan as high as #10 but he has definitely surpassed Brentz (in my opinion)  Brentz is like a Will Middlebrooks to me, except his ability to make contact may or may not be worse than Wills.  And if that is the case then his power my never really translate to the MLB level like WMB's has.  Hassan may not have the power, but he seems to have everything else, his defense has improved enough to play an adaquate LF, and although he doesn't have that prototypical power we like to see in corner outfielders he does have good contact, and on base skills.  At the very least I think he could be a productive bench player and I think he gets to contribute to the team in some capacity this year.

I actually like Webster a lot, but I am starting to get a little low on him.  I think his pure stuff is as good as almost anyone out there.  If we went by raw stuff alone you could make the argument that he is the most talented pitcher in our organization, but he his ability to throw it all together has been slow.  If he ever figures it out he could easily be a #2 pitcher which is why he is still likely on most peoples top 10 list.  One thing to keep in mind with Webster is the fact that he is much younger to the art of pitching than his age suggests; due to the fact that he only started pitching in college.  Perhaps this means he has more progress and the ability to make another leap forward....this year will be telling. 

I think if we were to plug him into the rotation now, we would see something very similar to Dice-K.  Good stuff with the ability to miss bats but horrible control that seems to limit his success every other start.  So we would see dominate games followed by 2-3 inning failures.  I'm hoping that worst case scenario with him is a very effective late inning reliever, which he could probably be with his fastball alone in short bursts. 

I'm really high on Cecchini, I know the defense is so so and the power hasn't come yet but it seems like he has EVERYTHING else.  If the power was there for him, I could see him being a top 10 prospect in all of baseball with his hit tool and on base skills....but that's just my opinion. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Rafael Devers is the current "hot" prospect. He may be the 1st base stud we have been waiting for. He's only 17 but early reports are that he's a man child.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

SS Xander Bogaerts
    CF Jackie Bradley, Jr.
    3B Garin Cecchini
    RHP Matt Barnes
    LHP Henry Owens
    RHP Allen Webster
    C Blake Swihart
    2B Mookie Betts
    C Christian Vazquez
    LHP Trey Ball

That's the reason why I was so happy to hear the discussion between Speier and Callis... it really went into the thought process about how top prospect lists are made up for BA.

To me... I'm like you.  I value the probability of a player being able to help out the club into my prospect rankings.  I think a lot of these prospect rankings do not go conservative and shoot for the moon with guys with the highest upside.  To me it is more importaint to have a high floor like Jackie Bradley Jr. because they are more likely to contribute consistently. 

I don't think you will ever see Hassan on a top ten list by the mainstream sites... but it is clear that he has a future with the Red Sox.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Rafael Devers is the current "hot" prospect. He may be the 1st base stud we have been waiting for. He's only 17 but early reports are that he's a man child.

He was 16 when he signed and he grew two inches and put on 25 pounds in the past year... so scouts are happy with his growth spurt adding power on top of his projected power.  He was in the Red Sox instructional league last year so we have no numbers on him, but listening to Callis and Speier talk about him... they say he is the next bat after Xander to be a potential middle of the order bat. 

If you were interested... here is the roster of the Instructional League.  You will note some standout names on here for the Sox.  These are mainly players that went through college baseball besides Ball or have been in pro ball for a bit.  Heck, the players out of high school were older than Devers by two years to put this in perspective and he played in the games. 

Red Sox

PITCHERS (22)
    Mike Adams
    Mario Alcantara
    Jose Almonte
    Trey Ball
    Ty Buttrey
    Jamie Callahan
    Jake Drehoff
    Edwar Garcia
    Joe Gunkel
    Dedgar Jimenez
    Brian Johnson
    Pat Light
    Corey Littrell
    Austin Maddox
    Kyle Martin
    Daniel McGrath
    Randy Perez
    David Renfroe
    Myles Smith
    Teddy Stankiewicz
    German Taveras
    Jalen Williams

CATCHERS (4)
    David Sopilka
    Jon Denney
    Alixon Suarez
    Carson Blair

INFIELDERS (11)
    Victor Acosta
    Rafael Devers
    Raymel Flores
    Javier Guerra
    Heiker Meneses
    Tzu-Wei Lin
    Nick Longhi
    Deiner Lopez
    Mike Miller
    Wendell Rijo
    Nick Moore

OUTFIELDERS (8)
    Forrestt Allday
    Jordon Austin
    Bryan Hudson
    Manuel Margot
    Mike Meyers
    Joseph Monge
    Aneury Tavarez
    Aaron King

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

That's it right there.  He is a BIG boy,  he looks like he belongs on the field when is standing next to players several years older than him. 

He's definitely a mesomorph which can be a double edge sword.  He will put on weight very easily and depending on his nutrition and dedication to fitness during off seasons he can either be prince fielder esq or Albert Pujols esq. (note, I'm strictly talking about body type) 

But if his #1 tool is his power, and his future is first base, then a few extra pounds isn't really going to hurt him. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure I would put Alex Hassan as high as #10 but he has definitely surpassed Brentz (in my opinion)  Brentz is like a Will Middlebrooks to me, except his ability to make contact may or may not be worse than Wills.  And if that is the case then his power my never really translate to the MLB level like WMB's has.  Hassan may not have the power, but he seems to have everything else, his defense has improved enough to play an adaquate LF, and although he doesn't have that prototypical power we like to see in corner outfielders he does have good contact, and on base skills.  At the very least I think he could be a productive bench player and I think he gets to contribute to the team in some capacity this year.

I actually like Webster a lot, but I am starting to get a little low on him.  I think his pure stuff is as good as almost anyone out there.  If we went by raw stuff alone you could make the argument that he is the most talented pitcher in our organization, but he his ability to throw it all together has been slow.  If he ever figures it out he could easily be a #2 pitcher which is why he is still likely on most peoples top 10 list.  One thing to keep in mind with Webster is the fact that he is much younger to the art of pitching than his age suggests; due to the fact that he only started pitching in college.  Perhaps this means he has more progress and the ability to make another leap forward....this year will be telling. 

I think if we were to plug him into the rotation now, we would see something very similar to Dice-K.  Good stuff with the ability to miss bats but horrible control that seems to limit his success every other start.  So we would see dominate games followed by 2-3 inning failures.  I'm hoping that worst case scenario with him is a very effective late inning reliever, which he could probably be with his fastball alone in short bursts. 

I'm really high on Cecchini, I know the defense is so so and the power hasn't come yet but it seems like he has EVERYTHING else.  If the power was there for him, I could see him being a top 10 prospect in all of baseball with his hit tool and on base skills....but that's just my opinion. 

[/QUOTE]

Reminds me of Clay Bucholtz in 2008 and Lester when he first came into the league.  Do you remember how wild Lester was when he was first starting and he could never make it past 5 innings... and Clay teased us with that no hitter followed up by one of the most terrible starting performances I have seen by a Sox starter.  Classic tease until they weren't.

There is something Webster has... there are very few players who can get a fastball to move as much as he can.  There is so little predictability with him, that he is literally a lottery ticket. 

Webster has yet to put together that consistent dominant stretch even though his stuff is off the charts.   Difference is that Clay teased us... Ranauado has shown consistent stretches where he teased us and put it all together.  Owens has shown us consistent dominant stretches.  Barns has shown us consistent dominant stretches. 

When I think of Webster, I think if Ricky Vaughn... get him some glasses!  Worked in the movie

ais13006ef_865

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

If the power comes and Garin turns out to be the hitter some think he may be Big Papi's job may be up for grabs if he struggles in the field.

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

A world series title, and the leagues top farm system....life is good for Sox fans.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Good comments here... until the end.

I agree that Hassan has passed Brentz, although soxprospects.com disagrees.

soxprospects has Ranaudo 7th, and I agree he belongs in the top 10. He has battled injuries and looks healthy now.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Hassan may not have the power, but he seems to have everything else, his defense has improved enough to play an adaquate LF, and although he doesn't have that prototypical power we like to see in corner outfielders he does have good contact, and on base skills.  At the very least I think he could be a productive bench player and I think he gets to contribute to the team in some capacity this year.

That's pretty much what they said about Nava.  There is a lot of value in having a guy that can get you .750-.800 in a platoon at minimum wage.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Good comments here... until the end.

I agree that Hassan has passed Brentz, although soxprospects.com disagrees.

soxprospects has Ranaudo 7th, and I agree he belongs in the top 10. He has battled injuries and looks healthy now.

This is pure psychobabble, but I sometimes feel that there is value to having young players face an existential threat.  The idea that you were once upon a time a great prospect with an unlimited future, and now maybe the conversation has moved on to other top prospects, can have a very sharpening impact on your focus.

I don't know if the injuries were related to conditioning or not, but I am hoping that they inspire him to go above and beyond now.

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Hassan may not have the power, but he seems to have everything else, his defense has improved enough to play an adaquate LF, and although he doesn't have that prototypical power we like to see in corner outfielders he does have good contact, and on base skills.  At the very least I think he could be a productive bench player and I think he gets to contribute to the team in some capacity this year.

That's pretty much what they said about Nava.  There is a lot of value in having a guy that can get you .750-.800 in a platoon at minimum wage.

Yes, and if most of his .750-.800 is from the OBP, even better.

The guy has a career .401 OBP in over 1700 minor league  PAs.

While his .439 SLG may look low for a ML LF'er, it was at .460 in AAA last year.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If the power comes and Garin turns out to be the hitter some think he may be Big Papi's job may be up for grabs if he struggles in the field.

The more and more I hear about Garin the less I think his power will come.  I almost want to bite my tounge saying that because if his hit tool and on base skills are as good as advertised he could have the potential to be an elite middle of the order bat next to Xander.  

From what I've heard, his swing does not fit the prototypical power hitters swing, the good thing is he stays in the zone but it doesn't create loft.  Of course he could change his swing mechanics....but that could also have potential consequences on his overall plate approach.

One thing I heard on the Sox Podcast the other day when they had Jason Parks on there was that Garin eats a lot of fastballs just for the sake of working the count.  Overall I consider that an asset, but you have to wonder if he could stand to be a bit more aggresive from time to time if he could increase his HR and 2B's numbers from just knowing when to turn on a pitch.

Ultimately I think the power comes....but it's not what some of us on here would like it to be.  He's never hit more than 7 in a season but with his size and plate approach I can see him hitting HR's in the 12-15 zone with 30+ doubles power.  For a guy that has the potential to walk a ton and hit .280 or ever .300 +  thats really really good. 

•  

The more and more I hear about Garin the less I think his power will come.  I almost want to bite my tounge saying that because if his hit tool and on base skills are as good as advertised he could have the potential to be an elite middle of the order bat next to Xander.  

From what I've heard, his swing does not fit the prototypical power hitters swing, the good thing is he stays in the zone but it doesn't create loft.  Of course he could change his swing mechanics....but that could also have potential consequences on his overall plate approach.

One thing I heard on the Sox Podcast the other day when they had Jason Parks on there was that Garin eats a lot of fastballs just for the sake of working the count.  Overall I consider that an asset, but you have to wonder if he could stand to be a bit more aggresive from time to time if he could increase his HR and 2B's numbers from just knowing when to turn on a pitch.

Ultimately I think the power comes....but it's not what some of us on here would like it to be.  He's never hit more than 7 in a season but with his size and plate approach I can see him hitting HR's in the 12-15 zone with 30+ doubles power.  For a guy that has the potential to walk a ton and hit .280 or ever .300 +  thats really really good. 

Power is great, but as long as he is near or over a .400 OBP, I'd be very happy.

Power is great, but as long as he is near or over a .400 OBP, I'd be very happy.

Agreed....and if he can put up those kinda numbers he will fit in very well next to Pedey in front of Bogaerts for years to come in the lineup.  Not sure where at this point, but if his offensive skills transition to the bigs I have a hard time seeing the Sox not finding room for him.  He may play first base, left field, right field, or third base....and in a post David Ortiz era I can almost see him being a super utility guy who rotates enough to qualify and play almost ever day, a la Dan Uggla. 

Agreed....and if he can put up those kinda numbers he will fit in very well next to Pedey in front of Bogaerts for years to come in the lineup.  Not sure where at this point, but if his offensive skills transition to the bigs I have a hard time seeing the Sox not finding room for him.  He may play first base, left field, right field, or third base....and in a post David Ortiz era I can almost see him being a super utility guy who rotates enough to qualify and play almost ever day, a la Dan Uggla. 

He is 6-3, so my guess is 1B.

He might possibly break records for most SBs by a firstbaseman.

• Sections
    Shortcuts