Prospect rankings season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Re: Prospect rankings season

Xander Bogaerts named top SS prospect in baseball by MLB.com:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/xander-bogaerts-heads-list-of-mlbcoms-top-10-shortstop-prospects?ymd=20140113&content_id=66482416&vkey=news_mlb&partnerId=ed-7843474-643588053

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

The more and more I hear about Garin the less I think his power will come.  I almost want to bite my tounge saying that because if his hit tool and on base skills are as good as advertised he could have the potential to be an elite middle of the order bat next to Xander.  

From what I've heard, his swing does not fit the prototypical power hitters swing, the good thing is he stays in the zone but it doesn't create loft.  Of course he could change his swing mechanics....but that could also have potential consequences on his overall plate approach.

One thing I heard on the Sox Podcast the other day when they had Jason Parks on there was that Garin eats a lot of fastballs just for the sake of working the count.  Overall I consider that an asset, but you have to wonder if he could stand to be a bit more aggresive from time to time if he could increase his HR and 2B's numbers from just knowing when to turn on a pitch.

Ultimately I think the power comes....but it's not what some of us on here would like it to be.  He's never hit more than 7 in a season but with his size and plate approach I can see him hitting HR's in the 12-15 zone with 30+ doubles power.  For a guy that has the potential to walk a ton and hit .280 or ever .300 +  thats really really good. 

Power is great, but as long as he is near or over a .400 OBP, I'd be very happy.

Agreed....and if he can put up those kinda numbers he will fit in very well next to Pedey in front of Bogaerts for years to come in the lineup.  Not sure where at this point, but if his offensive skills transition to the bigs I have a hard time seeing the Sox not finding room for him.  He may play first base, left field, right field, or third base....and in a post David Ortiz era I can almost see him being a super utility guy who rotates enough to qualify and play almost ever day, a la Dan Uggla. 

He is 6-3, so my guess is 1B.

He might possibly break records for most SBs by a firstbaseman.

He will not have the protoypical power bat for first base.  But if he turns out to be a plus defender at first who can bat .300 with high .300 .400 OBP %'s then I'll take that any year; especially considering he will be cost controlled for years.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

That's a strong list too...very strong. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

The more and more I hear about Garin the less I think his power will come.  I almost want to bite my tounge saying that because if his hit tool and on base skills are as good as advertised he could have the potential to be an elite middle of the order bat next to Xander.  

From what I've heard, his swing does not fit the prototypical power hitters swing, the good thing is he stays in the zone but it doesn't create loft.  Of course he could change his swing mechanics....but that could also have potential consequences on his overall plate approach.

One thing I heard on the Sox Podcast the other day when they had Jason Parks on there was that Garin eats a lot of fastballs just for the sake of working the count.  Overall I consider that an asset, but you have to wonder if he could stand to be a bit more aggresive from time to time if he could increase his HR and 2B's numbers from just knowing when to turn on a pitch.

Ultimately I think the power comes....but it's not what some of us on here would like it to be.  He's never hit more than 7 in a season but with his size and plate approach I can see him hitting HR's in the 12-15 zone with 30+ doubles power.  For a guy that has the potential to walk a ton and hit .280 or ever .300 +  thats really really good. 

Power is great, but as long as he is near or over a .400 OBP, I'd be very happy.

Agreed....and if he can put up those kinda numbers he will fit in very well next to Pedey in front of Bogaerts for years to come in the lineup.  Not sure where at this point, but if his offensive skills transition to the bigs I have a hard time seeing the Sox not finding room for him.  He may play first base, left field, right field, or third base....and in a post David Ortiz era I can almost see him being a super utility guy who rotates enough to qualify and play almost ever day, a la Dan Uggla. 

They said the same things about Youk. Never would hit for power. Fenway is a hitters park even for LH if they can inside out the ball and use the wall. As Garrin matures and fills out he will naturely develope more power. If he can get 20Hr's w/ his obp and speed, he will be a middle of the order bat.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:

They said the same things about Youk. Never would hit for power. Fenway is a hitters park even for LH if they can inside out the ball and use the wall. As Garrin matures and fills out he will naturely develope more power. If he can get 20Hr's w/ his obp and speed, he will be a middle of the order bat.

He could develop more power, but that doesn't mean we should assume it is going to happen.  There is a very good chance it doesn't happen.  Every scouting report I've seen on the kid (and it matches what I saw in Portland this year) says he's already filled out, he's a BIG kid with very little room left to grow.

Yes he could change his swing, and develop more strength....but I don't think that is something we should assume will happen naturally.  Yes it happened with Youk, and Youk is a great example of why we should be optimistic for a kid like Cecchini...but we should also realize there are more example of players who fit Cecchini's profile who never develop the power. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Boggs never had much power, or speed, but he turned out ok

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Here are how some different services are ranking our pitching prospects among all our prospects (not league wide rankings):

soxprospects.com has done a pretty good job ranking our prospects over many years, and they have our pitchers ranked like this:

3) Owens

6) Barnes

7) Ranaudo

8) Webster

9) Workman

11) T Ball

12) Britton

15) Stankiewicz

18) Johnson

22) Callahan

23) Mercedes

24) Buttrey

26) L Diaz

27) Hinojosa

29) Wilson

30) Ramirez

31) Kukuk

33) Smith

34) Littrell

37) Gomez

38) McGrath

41) Wright

43) Couch

44) Price

45) Quevedo

46) Martin

47) Light

48) Gunkel

49) Pena

50) Celesino

(They don't consider de la Rosa a prospect, but he was ranked #7 behind Ranaudo, Barnes and Webster last June.)

Baseball America:

2) Owens

4) Webster

8) Workman

9) Barnes

10) Ball

Bleacher Report:

2) Owens

6) Webster

8) Workman

9) Barnes

10) Ball

SB Nation:

4) Owens

5) Ranaudo

8) Webster

9) Workman

10) Barnes

11) Ball

12) Britton

13) Mercedes

17) Stankiewicz

18) Callahan

19) Johnson

20) Buttrey

C+ D McGrath

ESPN:

4) Owens

5) Barnes

6) Ranaudo

7) Webster

9) Ball

Rant Sports:

3) Webster

4) Owens

5) Barnes

6) Ranaudo

8) Ball

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Here's scout.com's top 100

http://mlb.scout.com/a.z?s=243&p=9&c=12&yr=2014&nid=287&lnid=287&rc=4&pid=88&pg=1

Interesting, because they consider Bogaerts and Bradley ineligible as both are expected to be in the major leagues on Opening Day...and yet they still have six Red Sox on the list:

Owens #21

Webster #54

Cecchini #58

Betts #61

Ball #81

Swihart #84

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2014/#list=lhp

Sox got 2 out of the top 10 for LHP. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'm a little more inclined to reference MLB.coms rankings now that Jim Callis is over there working with them. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I'm a little more inclined to reference MLB.coms rankings now that Jim Callis is over there working with them. 

I was thinking the same thing. That definitely lends them some cred.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Here's a look at Sox prospects by position according to soxprospects.com (some players are listed multiple times at different positions they could play or end up at eventually):

C: 5 Swihart, 13 Vazquez, 28 Butler, 32 Denney

1B: 4 Cecchini, 40 Longhi, 42 Shaw, 51 Chester

2B: 10 Betts, 19 Rijo, 25 Coyle

3B: 1 Bogaerts, 4 Cecchini, 10 Betts, 21 Devers, 59 Acosta

SS: 1 Bogaerts, 17 Marrero, 39 Lin

LF: 10 Betts, 14 Margot, 20 Hassan, 55 Hudson

CF: 2 JBJ, 14 Margot, 35 Ramos

RF: 14 Margot, 16 Brentz, 36 de la Cruz

DH: 4 Cecchini, 10 Betts, 25 Coyle

SP: 3 Owens, 6 Barnes, 7 Ranaudo, 8 Webster, 9 Workman, 11 T Ball, 12 Britton

15 Stankiewicz, 18 Johnson, 22 Callahan, 23 Mercedes, 24 Buttrey, 26 Diaz

27 Hinojosa, 31 Kukuk, 33 Smith, 34 Littrell, 37 Gomez, 38 McGrath, 41 Wright

43 Couch, 47 Light, 49 Pena, 53 Haley, 56 Romero, 57 Almonte, 58 Jiminez

RP: 9 Workman, 12 Britton, 23 Mercedes, 27 Hinojosa, 29 Wilson, 30 Ramirez,

44 Price, 45 Quevedo, 46 Martin, 48 Gunkel, 50 Celestino, 52 Stroup

53 Haley, 54 Aro, 60 Gonzalez

(note: de la Rosa is no longer listed as a prospect)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2014/#list=rhp

Blake Swihart getting some love, one spot behind Yankee top prospect Gary Sanchez.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Players who rose the most on the soxprospects.com list:

+16 N Ramirez

+10 Mercedes

+7 M Price (51 to 44)

+6 T Shaw (48 to 42)

+5 M Smith

+5 Littrell

+5 Gunkel (53 to 48)

+4 Devers

+3 Swihart

Players who fell the most:

-13 Denney

-12 P Light (47 from 35)

-8 Celestino (50 from 42)

-4 Diaz

-4 Ramos

-4 de la Cruz

-3 Johnson

-3 kukuk

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2014/#list=ss

MLB's top 10 at 3rd base is out this morning.  Cecchini comes in at #6, Sano at the top is no surprise. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Wow that 3rd base list is a strong one.  The minor league is stacked on the left side.  Left side infielders and right handed pitching seem to be in abundance. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from vic5014. Show vic5014's posts

I'm just curious, but whatever happened to Ryan Lavarnaway. He was supposed to be a hot prospect at the end of 2012 and I think he started 2013 on the 25-man, but he seems to have fallen off the face of the earth since then. Did he get hurt or traded or abducted by aliens?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to vic5014's comment:

I'm just curious, but whatever happened to Ryan Lavarnaway. He was supposed to be a hot prospect at the end of 2012 and I think he started 2013 on the 25-man, but he seems to have fallen off the face of the earth since then. Did he get hurt or traded or abducted by aliens?

He will be in AAA this year with the Sox, unless soemone gets hurt. (C/DH)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

some really good players in the 3B rankings... 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

3B, SS and RHP seems to be stacked.  But I'd love Miguel Sano at the top of my farm system....I bet the Yankees wouldn't mind him either. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

3B, SS and RHP seems to be stacked.  But I'd love Miguel Sano at the top of my farm system....I bet the Yankees wouldn't mind him either. 

true dat hugh..

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from vic5014. Show vic5014's posts

What I mean is that a couple years ago, he was supposed to be the Sox' top catching prospect and now he seems to have fallen to #3 at best. Did he regress that much or did Swihart, Denney, and Vazquez improve so much they vaulted ahead of him? I'm pretty sure he was one of MLB.com's top 20 Sox prospects in 2012 and he's not even on that list this year. On the other hand, being at AAA probably means he's first up should something happen to AJ or Ross. Vazquez is also at Pawtucket, but Swihart was in the Carolina League (high A) last year and Denney was at Rookie ball.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

What I mean is that a couple years ago, he was supposed to be the Sox' top catching prospect and now he seems to have fallen to #3 at best. Did he regress that much or did Swihart and the other guy (can't remember his name) improve so much they vaulted ahead of him? On the other hand, being at AAA probably means he's first up should something happen to AJ or Ross.

Both

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from vic5014. Show vic5014's posts

I'm fully aware this is a very good problem to have, but with Bogaerts and Middlebrooks in the Majors, Pedroia signed long-term and Cecchini perhaps just a couple years away, what does that mean for guys further down the organizational ladder like Marrero and Mookie Betts?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'm fully aware this is a very good problem to have, but with Bogaerts and Middlebrooks in the Majors, Pedroia signed long-term and Cecchini perhaps just a couple years away, what does that mean for guys further down the organizational ladder like Marrero and Mookie Betts?

not an issue right now because those guys are a few years away but a lot can happen...
    If WMB develops consistant 30 HR power and Marrero or Betts has the offense to play in the majors you could see one of them push Bogaerts over to 3B, or one of Cecchini/Betts could turn into the super sub type a la Ben Zoberist. 

Either one or both might not even reach their ceiling and could just be nothing more than a utility guy, and if everyone pans out....someone is bound to be trade bait.

You never know, Dustin Pedrioa could sustain a career ending injury in 2 years from now and Mookie Betts becomes our every day 2nd baseman....only time will tell.

But yes....this is all a good problem to have.

Sections
Shortcuts