Prospects and Young Players

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Prospects and Young Players

We have a significant amount of young players and prospects.

Here's a list by position (26 years old and younger in rough order of current skill level & potential):

SP: Kelly, de la Rosa, Owens, Ranaudo, Webster, Rodriguez, Escobar, Barnes, Johnson, L Diaz, Kopech, T Ball

RP: Hembree, Workman, Britton, N Ramirez, Kurcz

C: Swihart, Vazquez, Lavarnway

1B: Shaw, S Travis, Longhi

2B: Betts, Holt, Coyle, Rijo

3B: Devers, Chavis, Cecchini, Middy

SS: Bogaerts, Marrero

OF: JBJ, Margot, H Ramos, Hassan, Brentz

Here's a list by age:

26 Kelly, Holt, Hassan & Lavarnway

25 de la Rosa, Hembree, Workman, Middlebrooks, Britton, Brentz

24 Bradely, Webster, Ranaudo

23 Vazquez 

22 Ceccini & Escobar

21 Bogaerts & Betts 

Top Prospects (Rank) not on the 40 Man Roster:

24 Barnes (12), T Shaw (23), N Ramirez (28), K Couch (36), M Celestino (41), A Kurcz (45)

23 Marrero (7), B Johnson (9), J Haley (37), J Aro (39), M Almanzar (46), R Gragnani (48), P Light (56)

22 Swihart (2), Owens (3), Coyle (13),L Diaz (21), H Ramos (29), Mercedes (31), J Gunkel (38), C Asuaje (40), K de la Cruz (47)

21 E Rodriguez (10), G Taveras (49), C Kukuk (57)

20 T Ball (17), S Travis (20), Stankiewicz (32), J Cosart (34), M Dubon (50), D Mars (58)

19 M Margot (11), Callahan (33)

18 M Chavis (15), M Kopech (16), Rijo (19), Longhi (22), J Guerra (30), J Almonte (51), J Ockimey (59)

17 Devers (4), J Diaz (52), L Basabe (60) 

I think most teams would love to swap farm systems with ours or all 26 and younger players. What do you think?

Sox4ever

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Prospects and Young Players

Just for kicks, I'll throw out Seattle players who have seen action at the MLB level this year:

26 -- Kyle Seager, Dustin Ackley, Logan Morrison

25 -- Roenis Elias, James Paxton, Yoervis Medina, James Jones, Stefen Romero

24 -- Brad Miller, Jesus Montero, Erasmo Ramirez

23 --Mike Zunino, Chris Taylor, Brandon Maurer

22 -- Dominic Leone

21 -- Taijuan Walker

Just missing the cut:

27 -- Austin Jackson, Michael Saunders, Danny Farquhar

28 -- Felix Hernandez, Charlie Furbush

* ages from Seattle roster at Baseball Reference

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Just for kicks, I'll throw out Seattle players who have seen action at the MLB level this year:

25 -- Roenis Elias, James Paxton, Yoervis Medina

22 -- Dominic Leone

21 -- Taijuan Walker

Just missing the cut:

Pretty impressive, and Seattle's list of top prospects who have not played in MLB yet is right up there as well.

Here are the Sox players close to 26 but over:

29 Craig, Buchholz, Layne, Herrera & Wright,  28 Cespedes(FA after 2015), Tazawa & C Brown, 27 Wilson & Butler

*also from baseball reference.com

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Moon, you have Chavis in with the SP, just FYI.

Nice list. Can anyone remember a time when we had this kind of young pitching depth? The likes of RDLR, Webster, and Ranaudo are growing before our eyes at the major league level, Escobar and Rodriguez have looked good since coming on board, and even Barnes seems to have figured something out lately in Pawtucket.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Speaking of prospects...here's a good read if you have a BA subscription (which everyone should)

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/devers-turning-heads-loaded-red-sox-system/" rel="nofollow">http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/devers-turning-heads-loaded-red-sox-system/

And in other news, Manuel Margot got the promotion to high A Salem today. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

Moon, you have Chavis in with the SP, just FYI.

Nice list. Can anyone remember a time when we had this kind of young pitching depth? The likes of RDLR, Webster, and Ranaudo are growing before our eyes at the major league level, Escobar and Rodriguez have looked good since coming on board, and even Barnes seems to have figured something out lately in Pawtucket.

Thanks, I corrected Chavis.

I really like the 4 young pitchers we picked up: Kelly, Hembree, Escobar and Rodriguez, and we already had a pretty deep pitching future beforehand!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Great list of very ight quality prospects; Betts at 2nd, I very much doubt it. He hasn't played 2nd in some time, and no way is Pedroia not in there unless both legs are busted. Betts is hitting about .340, last time I looked, and to not bring him up after the Pawtucket season is over would border on insanity.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

Great list of very ight quality prospects; Betts at 2nd, I very much doubt it. He hasn't played 2nd in some time, and no way is Pedroia not in there unless both legs are busted. Betts is hitting about .340, last time I looked, and to not bring him up after the Pawtucket season is over would border on insanity.

"very light quality"- be serious. We may not have any Trouts or Strausburgs, but we have many very good prospects and many mid level ones as well. Certainly quite a few above "very light".

I placed Betts at 2B, because it is probably his best defensive position, but I realize he is blocked by Pedey. I agree, he should be with the ML club next season or traded.

As for him not playing 2B in a "long time", you need to do your homework. In AAA this year, Betts has played 40 games at 2B and only 34 in the OF.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Tonight in the Minors, Owens, Rodriquez, Ball, and Cosart Pitching in the Minors. That's awesome. All with high ceilings.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Our farm teams have been doing very well this year- no surprise.

Pawtucket 71-55 (2nd place)

Portland 75-50 (1st place)

Salem 24-25 (2nd place)

Greenville 18-36 (7th place)

Lowell 28-31 (3rd place)

GCL Red Sox 28-18 (1st place)

DSL Red Sox 44-18 (1st place)

Sox4ever

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

22 -- Dominic Leone

21 -- Taijuan Walker

Just missing the cut:

Where's Alex Liddi? 

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Potential 2015 pre-season Top 100 guys:

Locks: Owens, Swihart, Betts (if he does not get enough ML time to become ineligible)
    Maybes: Marrero?...Ranaudo?...Cecchini?...Escobar/Rodriguez?...Devers...Margot...Rijo...Ball...Chavis.
    Am I forgetting anyone?

We may not be as well-represented as this year, but we should have a ton of guys in the lower levels who will be in prime position to start shooting up the lists.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

Potential 2015 pre-season Top 100 guys:

Locks: Owens, Swihart, Betts (if he does not get enough ML time to become ineligible)
    Maybes: Marrero?...Ranaudo?...Cecchini?...Escobar/Rodriguez?...Devers...Margot...Rijo...Ball...Chavis.
    Am I forgetting anyone?

We may not be as well-represented as this year, but we should have a ton of guys in the lower levels who will be in prime position to start shooting up the lists.

Brian Johnson's stock rose quite a bit this season.

My sleeper prospect has been Luis Diaz, but I doubt he makes anyone's list.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

22 -- Dominic Leone

21 -- Taijuan Walker

Just missing the cut:

Where's Alex Liddi? 

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

LOL

Alex Liddi toils away with the Chattanooga Lookouts, the Double A affiliate of the Los Angeles Dodgers:

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=milb&player_id=499926#/career/R/hitting/2014/ALL" rel="nofollow">http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=milb&player_id=499926#/career/R/hitting/2014/ALL

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Owens and Ball got hit pretty hard, Rodriguez pitched another good game. 6 innings 8 hits, but gave up only 1 run, with 7 K's. Cosarts game postponed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In Brian Johnson's last 10 outings  he has allowed 1 or 0 runs in 9 of the games. He had one bad outing where he allowed 7 runs in 2 innings and he still carried an ERA of 1.99.

In 18 games that he started--1.87 ERA/ .99 WHIP/ in 106 Inn./ 9-2 record.

Owens @ Portland carried a 2.6 ERA/ 1.12 WHIP/ in 121 Inn./14-4 record

When you review the LH'ders the Sox have Owens, Johnson and Rodriquez from the O's--I haven't seen T. Ball pitch; Johnson does not rely strictly on overpowering stuff to get batters out. I really like all three but I see Johnson as someone that could pitch in Boston today with his experience in a high quality baseball program.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

In Brian Johnson's last 10 outings  he has allowed 1 or 0 runs in 9 of the games. He had one bad outing where he allowed 7 runs in 2 innings and he still carried an ERA of 1.99.

In 18 games that he started--1.87 ERA/ .99 WHIP/ in 106 Inn./ 9-2 record.

Owens @ Portland carried a 2.6 ERA/ 1.12 WHIP/ in 121 Inn./14-4 record

When you review the LH'ders the Sox have Owens, Johnson and Rodriquez from the O's--I haven't seen T. Ball pitch; Johnson does not rely strictly on overpowering stuff to get batters out. I really like all three but I see Johnson as someone that could pitch in Boston today with his experience in a high quality baseball program.

All three have been pretty impressive, as has Escobar in limited action.

Couple this with the seasons de la Rosa, Ranaudo and Webster are giving us and the pen performances by Hembree, and our long term pitching outlook is even brighter than it was to start the season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

The guys in the low minors have really been outstanding, helping the overall farme after some difficulties down there last year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:

Owens and Ball got hit pretty hard, Rodriguez pitched another good game. 6 innings 8 hits, but gave up only 1 run, with 7 K's. Cosarts game postponed.

I've been very pleased with Balls recent performances.  Reportedly he's improved his arm speed, increased velocity, and tightened up his curve.  This is his first pro season however, so some fatigue could be setting in, and I wouldnt be surprised if they start pulling him earlier or just shut him down.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Hopefully 3 of these kids become contributors to the starting 5 unlike Doubrant!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

The guys in the low minors have really been outstanding, helping the overall farme after some difficulties down there last year.

True, and while Lowell and Greenville may be struggling this year, our Gulf Coast and Dominican Summer League teams are doing great.

GCL: 28-20 (1st place)

Devers .855 OPS________

Cosart .419 OPS against

Speier .437

Nunez .517

Jerez  .523

Heras .524

Rodriguez .528

Kopech  .535

Pimental .560

Fernandez .599

Jimenez  .610

L Ramos  .641

Trader    .683

Williams .725

Almonte  .726

(No pitcher has an OPS against higher than .741)

DSL: 47-18 (1st places)

Devers .984 OPS

Basabe .887

Lucena .805______________

Bautista .473 OPS against

Torrealba .505

J Diaz   .510

A Martinez .541

Caceres  .585

Lacrus   .591

Gonzalez .601

Hernandez .641

Mendoza  .676

Ardiles   .749

(Only 2 pitchers with 13+ IP have an OPS against above .750)

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Devers and Margot alone make the lower minors solid ( Margot just made it to high A ). Our top 2 international signings were Dominican pitchers and our pitching in the DSL was already real solid without them. This guy is underrated
    ( Guerra ):

http://www.soxprospects.com/players/guerra-javier.htm" rel="nofollow">http://www.soxprospects.com/players/guerra-javier.htm

This guy has potential ( Longhi ):

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=t558&player_id=641802#/career/R/hitting/2014/ALL" rel="nofollow">http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=t558&player_id=641802#/career/R/hitting/2014/ALL

Cosart has been terrific so far: 

http://www.soxprospects.com/players/cosart-jake.htm" rel="nofollow">http://www.soxprospects.com/players/cosart-jake.htm

What is not to like about Kopech if we give him time to develop:

http://www.soxprospects.com/players/kopech-michael.htm" rel="nofollow">http://www.soxprospects.com/players/kopech-michael.htm

Chavis, Ball, Sam Travis, Danny Mars and others all have a shot. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Maybe even Luis Alexander Basabe, Jhonathan Diaz, Josh Ockimey and Jose Almonte.

Sox4ever

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

The key is to have evaluators continue to determine who can play in Fenway?

They may be the best prospects going but if they are anything like WMB, JBJ, Xander, yes Xander, and Buch they may not be ready ever to play at Fenway under the intense scrutiny these kids are asked to put up with.

Our teams may have to be very mature teams with some age with a mindset that has already matured.

Sections
Shortcuts