Put a Fork in this team

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lxcellent. Show lxcellent's posts

Re: Put a Fork in this team

In Response to Put a Fork in this team:
    Perhaps the biggest bust in the history of baseball, this team has no shot of doing anything. Lackey tomorrow. At the trade deadline, Ortiz, Drew and Papelbon will all be gone.
    Posted by ADG

Completely agree.  Everyone likes to say "too early," but you cannot say that.  When you start this bad, your confidence drops and things snowball.  Pressing leads to more pressing and everything falls apart.  If this happened in the middle of season, it would not be a big deal because it WOULDN'T be a big deal.  However, when this happens in the beginning of the season, it IS a big deal.  This is a new team without the collective history that allows them to say "it's okay, we've gone through tough times before and all will be okay."  They can't say that because this team does not have the history to fall back on.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

No worries, I'm sure they'll go on another 1 game winning streak any day now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

In Response to Re: Put a Fork in this team:
    In Response to Re: Put a Fork in this team : Go Giants!
    Posted by yankeeforlife

Great avatar pic, btw!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In Response to Re: Put a Fork in this team : ITS APRIL !!!   CHILL OUT
    Posted by YankeeBill

Thanks Bill! I couldn't have said it any better myself.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yankeeforlife. Show yankeeforlife's posts

At least we have football to look forward too...oh wait a minute.
    Posted by GoBlazers1

Go Giants!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from YankeeBill. Show YankeeBill's posts

In Response to Re: Put a Fork in this team : We shall see. Keep in mind the following: 1. The Red Sox have no catcher. Say what you want about Salty or Tek, but Salty can not hit. No wonder he's on his third team already. Varitek is well, a non factor. 2. Two spots in the rotation are absolutely brutal. 3. Have you seen the up the middle defense this year? Their catchers cant't throw anyone out, their shortstop has no range, and Ellsbury has looked lost in CF. If you look at the numbers, for the Sox to win 90 games, they have to go 88-63, almost .600. Good luck with that.
    Posted by ADG

ITS APRIL !!!  CHILL OUT

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Ughh!!  You're gonna be quoted on this one later on this summer. It's no fun right now,  but take a breath before breaking out the poison pen...  or keyboard in this instance. We are all frustrated right now,  but no more than the 25 guys in the dugout. They will hit...  count on it. 
    Posted by mustangbullitbri

I hope I'm wrong, but there are too many pieces that are broke and they can't be corrected now unless you dump guys (DiceK, Wakefield, Scutaro) that you can and bring up other pieces. Release Wakefield, put DiceK on the DL and do something with Scutaro.

The ONLY spark that could help this team would be to bring up someone with energy...Inglesias.

The rotation that the Red Sox have with Lackey and DiceK won't allow this team to put together any type of streak.  They currently have 6, count them 6 pitchers on the team with ERA's over 12.

They have batters like Crawford and Ellsbury that are lost, and their catching position is quite possibly the worst in baseball.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

In Response to Re: Put a Fork in this team : We shall see. Keep in mind the following: 1. The Red Sox have no catcher. Say what you want about Salty or Tek, but Salty can not hit. No wonder he's on his third team already. Varitek is well, a non factor. 2. Two spots in the rotation are absolutely brutal. 3. Have you seen the up the middle defense this year? Their catchers cant't throw anyone out, their shortstop has no range, and Ellsbury has looked lost in CF. If you look at the numbers, for the Sox to win 90 games, they have to go 88-63, almost .600. Good luck with that.
    Posted by ADG

1. 88-63 is very doable with this club.

2. I have a hunch SP will come around.

3. The Sox defense is currently ranked #1.

Don't you think it's a little early for the "Chicken Little Syndrome" to set in?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from canetime. Show canetime's posts

yea,2 and 9 to start in the al east gets you shot out.so much money put into this team and they lay eggs,one thing they need ti find a spot for lowrie.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

If the sox start a run in which they go 23-10 (roughly .700 ball) that would put them at 25-19 with 118 games to play then to get to 95 wins we only need to play at   .593 Clip the rest of the way.   My point is Ted Williams didn’t get 4.06 hits per 10 at bats, sometimes he got 2 sometimes he got 7 but by the end of the year that was the accumulated total of a season of streaks and slumps. We are just starting off with the latter and I bet after we finally break out of this slump there will be another one down the road somewhere (hopefully not quite this bad).
    Posted by Soxman100

Considering they're about to go on a west coast swing, this is not realistic.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

The ONLY spark that could help this team would be to bring up someone with energy...Inglesias.
    Posted by ADG
    First of all it's Iglesias. If you're going to be advocating for the guy to be the starting SS, at least learn how to spell his name. Secondly, the season is over after 11 games? Really? You obviously never watched or even heard of the 1967 Red Sox. Do yourself a favor and google them. Red Sox "Fans" like you are the reason why people in NY laugh at Boston fans. Whether you want to admit it or not, the Red Sox have a good team this year that will hit. They'll field well enough, and they have at least 3 starting pitchers this year who will more than likely be very good when all is said and done. I predict they will be right in the playoff hunt in September. And feel free to copy and paste that prediction for later reference.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I wonder how long before the become "sellers"? This isn't a very good team.
    Posted by DaBabe1

Haha.  At the risk of Pike's wrath for 'enabling' you, I was concerned by the lack of snarky babe posts.  Thought you would be feasting on the early struggles in ligt of the high expectations.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from canetime. Show canetime's posts

Ughh!!  You're gonna be quoted on this one later on this summer. It's no fun right now,  but take a breath before breaking out the poison pen...  or keyboard in this instance. We are all frustrated right now,  but no more than the 25 guys in the dugout. They will hit...  count on it. 
    Posted by mustangbullitbri

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In Response to Re: Put a Fork in this team : First of all it's Iglesias. If you're going to be advocating for the guy to be the starting SS, at least learn how to spell his name. Secondly, the season is over after 11 games? Really? You obviously never watched or even heard of the 1967 Red Sox. Do yourself a favor and google them. Red Sox "Fans" like you are the reason why people in NY laugh at Boston fans. Whether you want to admit it or not, the Red Sox have a good team this year that will hit. They'll field well enough, and they have at least 3 starting pitchers this year who will more than likely be very good when all is said and done. I predict they will be right in the playoff hunt in September. And feel free to copy and paste that prediction for later reference.
    Posted by carnie

Carnie, 

I agree with you, Beni and a few others in that the Red Sox will be fine. I respect Buck in Baltimore as he's had the Birds playing well since he took over, but I don't see the Amercan League East being as strong as usual, which leaves room for the Sox to play catch but realistically this slide can't go on much longer, and there need to be some changes. Tampa Bay looks pretty sad so far, but they usually find a way to be in the race, but not this year, Toronto doesn't scare anyone, which leaves the Yankees who still have a strong line up despite age, with a great bullpen, but a suspect starting 5. 

Suggesting the Sox trade Papi, Drew and Scutaro is ludicrous.
    Papi is off to a decent start, Drew is a pretty decent right fielder although many in Boston seem to doubt it. If Drew was being paid 5-8 Mil a year folks in Boston would be happy with him, and despite a slow start Scutaro is a good short stop, although I'd rather see Lowrie in there. 

The bullpen will probably be about average this year, not one of the strongest in the American League, but a big improvement over last year.The starting 5 as everyone knew is questionable. Dice-K has to go, and Salty looks totally lost with a bat in his hands. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Put a Fork in this team : ITS APRIL !!!   CHILL OUT
    Posted by YankeeBill

As usual , the Yankees fans make more sense than most of the fairweather Sox fans.

Thanks YankeeBill.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

What ADG, you've got nothing? Somehow I'm not surprised.
    Posted by carnie

We shall see. Keep in mind the following:

1. The Red Sox have no catcher. Say what you want about Salty or Tek, but Salty can not hit. No wonder he's on his third team already. Varitek is well, a non factor.

2. Two spots in the rotation are absolutely brutal.

3. Have you seen the up the middle defense this year? Their catchers cant't throw anyone out, their shortstop has no range, and Ellsbury has looked lost in CF.

If you look at the numbers, for the Sox to win 90 games, they have to go
    88-63, almost .600.

Good luck with that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxman100. Show Soxman100's posts

In Response to Re: Put a Fork in this team : Great point about Ted Williams and consistancy, and from what I've read Williams never went hitless for more than one game the entire year. Imagine a modern day ballplayer going an entire 162 game schedule and never going hitless more than one game. Truly amazing and probably will never happen again.
    Posted by Hetchinspete

Thank You. I just looked though that 1941 season and there were 4 times that he went 2 consective games with out a hit. Still an obsolutely tremenous feat that I don't think will ever be matched.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from triedagain. Show triedagain's posts

We went 0-6 against the two teams with the best record in baseball, 2 of 3 from the evil ones took the sting out.  One day at a time.

Posted by NAVYMUSTANG

Those two teams do not have the best records in baseball if the Red Sox win a few of those games. They have the best records because they both swept the Red Sox.

Taking the 1st series at home was a posititve, even more so that it was against the Yankees, but winning series at home is must to have anything resembling a season to be proud of. They have already secured a losing series against a team that had the worst record in baseball prior to coming into Fenway. The Red Sox need to win tonight, as getting swept at home is very high among the very worst of all things baseball. Add to that it's a division rival who was seriously struggling prior to visiting Boston.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

If the sox start a run in which they go 23-10 (roughly .700 ball) that would put them at 25-19 with 118 games to play then to get to 95 wins we only need to play at   .593 Clip the rest of the way.   My point is Ted Williams didn’t get 4.06 hits per 10 at bats, sometimes he got 2 sometimes he got 7 but by the end of the year that was the accumulated total of a season of streaks and slumps. We are just starting off with the latter and I bet after we finally break out of this slump there will be another one down the road somewhere (hopefully not quite this bad).
    Posted by Soxman100

Great point about Ted Williams and consistancy, and from what I've read Williams never went hitless for more than one game the entire year. Imagine a modern day ballplayer going an entire 162 game schedule and never going hitless more than one game. Truly amazing and probably will never happen again.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Who wants those guys, no one. We are stuck with them Drew is gone at the end of the season, so is Ortiz, and Varitek. Maybe they get more righthanded next year. We are not playing to our strengths and using the wall. Jason Werth was a better fit than Crawford was. 

n Response to Re: Put a Fork in this team:
    I'm pretty much thinking the team will recover, and probably finish over .500, but this is certainly not a playoff caliber team, and this stretch right here will forever haunt them late in the season when they absolutely must make ground. Once again my fears v lefties came to fruition as Tito had to go with righties over Ellsbury, Drew and Ortiz because of their failings v. lefties. It's a top heavy lefty lineup and one badly drawn up in the war room for Sox. Carl Crawford is doing exactly what we pretty knew he was capable of doing--underachieve. Right now, it's time to package a deal, one that should involve removal of a starting pitcher with David Ortiz and Marco Scutaro to get something back to jumpstart this squad. The team has no sense of urgency...sad
    Posted by dannycater

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zack5042. Show zack5042's posts

In Response to Re: Put a Fork in this team : I hope I'm wrong, but there are too many pieces that are broke and they can't be corrected now unless you dump guys (DiceK, Wakefield, Scutaro) that you can and bring up other pieces. Release Wakefield, put DiceK on the DL and do something with Scutaro. The ONLY spark that could help this team would be to bring up someone with energy...Inglesias. The rotation that the Red Sox have with Lackey and DiceK won't allow this team to put together any type of streak.  They currently have 6, count them 6 pitchers on the team with ERA's over 12. They have batters like Crawford and Ellsbury that are lost, and their catching position is quite possibly the worst in baseball.
    Posted by ADG

Hmmm, interesting.... Okay first off didnt scutaro get the bases loaded double against the yankees to make the game 3-0 instead of 1-0? If he didn't get that hit the Bronx Bombers probably would've came back.... Second I have no clue who this inglesias guy is your talking about but we do have this star SS that will be ready in a year or two. His name is Jose Iglesia. And you are aware that out of those 6 pitchers on the team with 6 era+. One has 3.2 innings pitched, another has 1.1 innings pitched, and another one has 3.2 innings. OHH MANNN BIG DEAL!!! thats going to calm down over time... just calm down, take a deep breathe, and step back from the ledge because its going to be a long season. The season might have its up and downs but in the end we will be in the play off race.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

(Theo short field is in left ).
    Posted by larryfr1

Good afternoon sir. Let me introduce you to a fanchise called the Boston Red Sox. Their top hitters of all-time is Ted Williams. He won two Triple Crowns and six (nearly seven) batting titles. They boast a Hall of Famer who won three (nearly 4) and is the last player to win the Triple Crown — Carl Yastrzemski.

Then there's Pete Runnell, an decent ballplayer with Washington who hit .274 in seven seasons in Washington, then comes to Boston and hits .320 in five years in Boston while winning two batting titles.

A guy by the name of Fred Lynn won the MVP and Rookie of the Year Award in the same year, win a batting title and has a career average of .308 in Boston and .263 after leaving Boston, never again hitting over .300.

You might have heard of Wade Boggs. He won five batting titles in Boston and had a .338 BA while playing for the Sox, more than 30 points higher than his years after leaving.

Fellow by the named of David Ortiz, affectionally called Big Papi. He's only one of the best DH's of all-time.

You want to know they all have in common. They're all left-handed batters.

You see, the cliche is that Fenway is built for RH power hitters, and to be sure, those hitters have thrived. But the fact is, left-handed hitters can thrive just was well, if not more, at Fenway.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Put a Fork in this team : Considering they're about to go on a west coast swing, this is not realistic.
    Posted by nhsteven

For what it's worth, AL East teams are 4-12 against AL West teams this season.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Posted by Soxman100

Welcome Soxman.  Your sensible baseball ebb & flow understanding is a welcome addition to the board, particularly in this ridiculous storm of disgust, panic, mass throwing-under-busses and hyperbolic death-knells.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The twins won the world series in 91-0r 92 and started the year 2-9 that year. Theyre hitting the ball hard and sooner than later the ball will find the holes. This team is too good and they will recover from this. and NO, its not rose-covered glasses. Its rational thinking.
    Posted by southpaw777

The 1991 Minnesota Twins still managed to win 95 games and the World Series despite their 2-9 start:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/MIN/1991-schedule-scores.shtml

... but the odds are against the Red Sox:

http://www.coolstandings.com/baseball_standings.asp?sn=2011

Sections
Shortcuts