Put a Fork in this team

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from YankeeBill. Show YankeeBill's posts

Re: Put a Fork in this team

In Response to Re: Put a Fork in this team:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Put a Fork in this team : We shall see. Keep in mind the following: 1. The Red Sox have no catcher. Say what you want about Salty or Tek, but Salty can not hit. No wonder he's on his third team already. Varitek is well, a non factor. 2. Two spots in the rotation are absolutely brutal. 3. Have you seen the up the middle defense this year? Their catchers cant't throw anyone out, their shortstop has no range, and Ellsbury has looked lost in CF. If you look at the numbers, for the Sox to win 90 games, they have to go 88-63, almost .600. Good luck with that.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

ITS APRIL !!!  CHILL OUT

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from larryfr1. Show larryfr1's posts

no surprise here except that they are actually worse than I had feared. overrated beyond belief in preseason, offseason. tremendous waste of money tied up in no-win players ( see Lackey, Dice-K ). too many lefty hitters (Theo short field is in left ).need serious upgrades @ C,CF,RF and SS to be a real championship team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The twins won the world series in 91-0r 92 and started the year 2-9 that year. Theyre hitting the ball hard and sooner than later the ball will find the holes. This team is too good and they will recover from this. and NO, its not rose-covered glasses. Its rational thinking.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Put a Fork in this team : We shall see. Keep in mind the following: 1. The Red Sox have no catcher. Say what you want about Salty or Tek, but Salty can not hit. No wonder he's on his third team already. Varitek is well, a non factor. 2. Two spots in the rotation are absolutely brutal. 3. Have you seen the up the middle defense this year? Their catchers cant't throw anyone out, their shortstop has no range, and Ellsbury has looked lost in CF. If you look at the numbers, for the Sox to win 90 games, they have to go 88-63, almost .600. Good luck with that.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

1. 88-63 is very doable with this club.

2. I have a hunch SP will come around.

3. The Sox defense is currently ranked #1.

Don't you think it's a little early for the "Chicken Little Syndrome" to set in?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjgbpd. Show jjgbpd's posts

I'm not sure if it's care, camaraderie or what, but with this team having such an awful end to spring training (losing 12 of last 13 or something close) and now a 2-9 start to the season.... there is just something missing.  It's like they don't care.  I'm sure they do, but with this much talent, and for virtually every phase of the team sucking, there is no explanation.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]If the sox start a run in which they go 23-10 (roughly .700 ball) that would put them at 25-19 with 118 games to play then to get to 95 wins we only need to play at   .593 Clip the rest of the way.   My point is Ted Williams didn’t get 4.06 hits per 10 at bats, sometimes he got 2 sometimes he got 7 but by the end of the year that was the accumulated total of a season of streaks and slumps. We are just starting off with the latter and I bet after we finally break out of this slump there will be another one down the road somewhere (hopefully not quite this bad).
    Posted by Soxman100[/QUOTE]

Considering they're about to go on a west coast swing, this is not realistic.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mac24. Show mac24's posts

It's the Sox! 

The bats will come around, can you seriously say the likes of Crawford or Youk will hit .180 all year? Com'on! Some of you guys kill me, I've met homeless drug addicts more positive then some of you.

Have some faith!   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterbig. Show misterbig's posts

What's with Gonzalez and his weak groundouts to second? I thought he was going to pepper the wall. Has he even got a hit to left field. Oh, sorry, I said hit, fooloish me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]The ONLY spark that could help this team would be to bring up someone with energy...Inglesias.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]First of all it's Iglesias. If you're going to be advocating for the guy to be the starting SS, at least learn how to spell his name. Secondly, the season is over after 11 games? Really? You obviously never watched or even heard of the 1967 Red Sox. Do yourself a favor and google them. Red Sox "Fans" like you are the reason why people in NY laugh at Boston fans. Whether you want to admit it or not, the Red Sox have a good team this year that will hit. They'll field well enough, and they have at least 3 starting pitchers this year who will more than likely be very good when all is said and done. I predict they will be right in the playoff hunt in September. And feel free to copy and paste that prediction for later reference.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MR24. Show MR24's posts

Take off your pink hat and jump of the bandwagon its a whole lot better for the rest of us REAL SOX FANS.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]I wonder how long before the become "sellers"? This isn't a very good team.
    Posted by DaBabe1[/QUOTE]

Haha.  At the risk of Pike's wrath for 'enabling' you, I was concerned by the lack of snarky babe posts.  Thought you would be feasting on the early struggles in ligt of the high expectations.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

As I recall, the Sox started the 2010 season 4-9 and bounced back until a rash of key injuries quashed their playoff hopes. Have faith!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

+1 @ Yankeebill, totally agree.  Sox will play well enough to be in the thick of it. 

I'd also like to address the issue of a stacked roster on paper somehow equaling "WS TITLE ZOMG!!!!".  Everyone knew coming into the season that Beckett, Lackey, and Dice-K were HUGE question marks.  That leaves you two pitchers you can somewhat reliably count on.  If you remove the names "Beckett" and "Lackey" from the on-paper, pre-season rotation and just put in "Pitcher A" and "Pitcher B" as well as their previous years' stats... well, it doesn't spell out "WS TITLE BOO YAH!".

All things considered I expect the Sox to be above average based on their offensive capability.  The issue of most concern to me is Beckett and Lackey (forget the #5, it clearly ain't gonna work out this year).  If they can find a happy medium between their heyday (did Lackey even have one?) and their low points then I think the Sox will make the playoffs.

Once you make the playoffs its any team's title to win. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Put a Fork in this team : First of all it's Iglesias. If you're going to be advocating for the guy to be the starting SS, at least learn how to spell his name. Secondly, the season is over after 11 games? Really? You obviously never watched or even heard of the 1967 Red Sox. Do yourself a favor and google them. Red Sox "Fans" like you are the reason why people in NY laugh at Boston fans. Whether you want to admit it or not, the Red Sox have a good team this year that will hit. They'll field well enough, and they have at least 3 starting pitchers this year who will more than likely be very good when all is said and done. I predict they will be right in the playoff hunt in September. And feel free to copy and paste that prediction for later reference.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Carnie, 

I agree with you, Beni and a few others in that the Red Sox will be fine. I respect Buck in Baltimore as he's had the Birds playing well since he took over, but I don't see the Amercan League East being as strong as usual, which leaves room for the Sox to play catch but realistically this slide can't go on much longer, and there need to be some changes. Tampa Bay looks pretty sad so far, but they usually find a way to be in the race, but not this year, Toronto doesn't scare anyone, which leaves the Yankees who still have a strong line up despite age, with a great bullpen, but a suspect starting 5. 

Suggesting the Sox trade Papi, Drew and Scutaro is ludicrous.
    Papi is off to a decent start, Drew is a pretty decent right fielder although many in Boston seem to doubt it. If Drew was being paid 5-8 Mil a year folks in Boston would be happy with him, and despite a slow start Scutaro is a good short stop, although I'd rather see Lowrie in there. 

The bullpen will probably be about average this year, not one of the strongest in the American League, but a big improvement over last year.The starting 5 as everyone knew is questionable. Dice-K has to go, and Salty looks totally lost with a bat in his hands. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Put a Fork in this team : ITS APRIL !!!   CHILL OUT
    Posted by YankeeBill[/QUOTE]

As usual , the Yankees fans make more sense than most of the fairweather Sox fans.

Thanks YankeeBill.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobph. Show bobph's posts

Yogi

No one looks at the standings until the Fourth of July.

Yogi Berra

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]What ADG, you've got nothing? Somehow I'm not surprised.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

We shall see. Keep in mind the following:

1. The Red Sox have no catcher. Say what you want about Salty or Tek, but Salty can not hit. No wonder he's on his third team already. Varitek is well, a non factor.

2. Two spots in the rotation are absolutely brutal.

3. Have you seen the up the middle defense this year? Their catchers cant't throw anyone out, their shortstop has no range, and Ellsbury has looked lost in CF.

If you look at the numbers, for the Sox to win 90 games, they have to go
    88-63, almost .600.

Good luck with that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxman100. Show Soxman100's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Put a Fork in this team : Great point about Ted Williams and consistancy, and from what I've read Williams never went hitless for more than one game the entire year. Imagine a modern day ballplayer going an entire 162 game schedule and never going hitless more than one game. Truly amazing and probably will never happen again.
    Posted by Hetchinspete[/QUOTE]

Thank You. I just looked though that 1941 season and there were 4 times that he went 2 consective games with out a hit. Still an obsolutely tremenous feat that I don't think will ever be matched.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxman100. Show Soxman100's posts

Thats a only a 6 game west cost trip isn't it? even if we spilt (3-3) would not exclude going 23 and 10.

But more to the point I was not making predictions I was just trying to show that there will be times this year when we play .700+ ball over a strech of games and there will be times when we play sub .500 ball. With 151 games to go we will see some great runs.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from HibsMax. Show HibsMax's posts

I undertsand that the season has only just started but I don't think it's too early to show some concern.  Maybe they will bounce back.  What if they don't?  The fact that people are reaching back 20 years and 44 years to point to examples of teams that have recovered from horrendous starts just goes to show how infrequently such comebacks happen.  I don't doubt that we'll bounce back from this but saying it's too early to panic seems a little like sticking your head in the sand.

Onwards and upwards!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoBlazers1. Show GoBlazers1's posts

At least we have football to look forward too...oh wait a minute.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from triedagain. Show triedagain's posts

[QUOTE] 

We went 0-6 against the two teams with the best record in baseball, 2 of 3 from the evil ones took the sting out.  One day at a time.

Posted by NAVYMUSTANG[/QUOTE]

Those two teams do not have the best records in baseball if the Red Sox win a few of those games. They have the best records because they both swept the Red Sox.

Taking the 1st series at home was a posititve, even more so that it was against the Yankees, but winning series at home is must to have anything resembling a season to be proud of. They have already secured a losing series against a team that had the worst record in baseball prior to coming into Fenway. The Red Sox need to win tonight, as getting swept at home is very high among the very worst of all things baseball. Add to that it's a division rival who was seriously struggling prior to visiting Boston.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBabe1. Show DaBabe1's posts

I wonder how long before the become "sellers"? This isn't a very good team.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]If the sox start a run in which they go 23-10 (roughly .700 ball) that would put them at 25-19 with 118 games to play then to get to 95 wins we only need to play at   .593 Clip the rest of the way.   My point is Ted Williams didn’t get 4.06 hits per 10 at bats, sometimes he got 2 sometimes he got 7 but by the end of the year that was the accumulated total of a season of streaks and slumps. We are just starting off with the latter and I bet after we finally break out of this slump there will be another one down the road somewhere (hopefully not quite this bad).
    Posted by Soxman100[/QUOTE]

Great point about Ted Williams and consistancy, and from what I've read Williams never went hitless for more than one game the entire year. Imagine a modern day ballplayer going an entire 162 game schedule and never going hitless more than one game. Truly amazing and probably will never happen again.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

What ADG, you've got nothing? Somehow I'm not surprised.