Put a Fork in this team

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bulldozer667. Show Bulldozer667's posts

Re: Put a Fork in this team

I see several issues that affect this team.First off the pitching is over-rated.While Lester,Buchholz and even Beckett can be good to very good Lackey is a glorified 14 game winner/4th starter (and you can't compare being on the Angels to playing in the A.L. East) and Dice-K other than his one fluke season is no big deal and they should just release him.
    Getting Crawford kept him away from other teams but doesn't really help the Sox who already have a similar player in Ellsbury and as we have seen so far they don't know where to hit him in the lineup. Youk is not a clean up hitter,they in fact don't have a true clean up hitter which also makes for line up issues. He walks a ton and should probably hit 2 or 3 with Gonzalez cleanup.The problem with that is the lineup then goes heavy left with Papi,Crawford & Drew.
    They should also get rid of Drew who is just horrible against lefties (specially on anything other than a fastball) I'd rather see Kalish !
    Maybe Ellsbury,Youk,Gonzo,Pedroia,Crawford,Papi,Lowrie,Drew,Salty.
    All in all they will eventually figure it out and hit,the pitching can't be worse (or heads will roll) problem is how much of a hole will they need to climb out of to just be in contention for a playoff spot.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Put a Fork in this team:
    [QUOTE]The twins won the world series in 91-0r 92 and started the year 2-9 that year. Theyre hitting the ball hard and sooner than later the ball will find the holes. This team is too good and they will recover from this. and NO, its not rose-covered glasses. Its rational thinking.
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]
    The 1991 Minnesota Twins still managed to win 95 games and the World Series despite their 2-9 start:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/MIN/1991-schedule-scores.shtml

... but the odds are against the Red Sox:

http://www.coolstandings.com/baseball_standings.asp?sn=2011

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]If the sox start a run in which they go 23-10 (roughly .700 ball) that would put them at 25-19 with 118 games to play then to get to 95 wins we only need to play at   .593 Clip the rest of the way.   My point is Ted Williams didn’t get 4.06 hits per 10 at bats, sometimes he got 2 sometimes he got 7 but by the end of the year that was the accumulated total of a season of streaks and slumps. We are just starting off with the latter and I bet after we finally break out of this slump there will be another one down the road somewhere (hopefully not quite this bad).
    Posted by Soxman100[/QUOTE]

Welcome Soxman.  Your sensible baseball ebb & flow understanding is a welcome addition to the board, particularly in this ridiculous storm of disgust, panic, mass throwing-under-busses and hyperbolic death-knells.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Put a Fork in this team : Considering they're about to go on a west coast swing, this is not realistic.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]
    For what it's worth, AL East teams are 4-12 against AL West teams this season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

Defense and Pitching wins ball games, unfortunately pitching basically hasn't been there. Hitting will come around because I frankly don't see Crawford, Ellsbury and Scutaro hitting below the Mendoza line all season. It is frustrating but this team hasn't been able to beat the Rays consistently the last few years. Hopefully Lackey can have a good game and the Sox can get some wins against Toronto. The west coast looms over the horizon. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Put a Fork in this team

Perhaps the biggest bust in the history of baseball, this team has no shot of doing anything.

Lackey tomorrow.

At the trade deadline, Ortiz, Drew and Papelbon will all be gone.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maddog2020. Show maddog2020's posts

If they are done - then maybe you won't post anymore - something good come out of this start.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE] (Theo short field is in left ).
    Posted by larryfr1[/QUOTE]

Good afternoon sir. Let me introduce you to a fanchise called the Boston Red Sox. Their top hitters of all-time is Ted Williams. He won two Triple Crowns and six (nearly seven) batting titles. They boast a Hall of Famer who won three (nearly 4) and is the last player to win the Triple Crown — Carl Yastrzemski.

Then there's Pete Runnell, an decent ballplayer with Washington who hit .274 in seven seasons in Washington, then comes to Boston and hits .320 in five years in Boston while winning two batting titles.

A guy by the name of Fred Lynn won the MVP and Rookie of the Year Award in the same year, win a batting title and has a career average of .308 in Boston and .263 after leaving Boston, never again hitting over .300.

You might have heard of Wade Boggs. He won five batting titles in Boston and had a .338 BA while playing for the Sox, more than 30 points higher than his years after leaving.

Fellow by the named of David Ortiz, affectionally called Big Papi. He's only one of the best DH's of all-time.

You want to know they all have in common. They're all left-handed batters.

You see, the cliche is that Fenway is built for RH power hitters, and to be sure, those hitters have thrived. But the fact is, left-handed hitters can thrive just was well, if not more, at Fenway.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from REDSOX-11. Show REDSOX-11's posts

We need that now not in mid may it will be too late by then.

[QUOTE]wow - eleven games in and were done????? im not happy with musical chars lineups based on lefty-righty matchups...I want the starters to start big games against top pitchers (plenty of time to rest them against sub par lefties as the season heats up) but if the hitters are not hitting and the pitchers are putrid, it doesnt really matter who is doing what and where- this is a team failure and I expect it to be turned around (if we can beat the yanks, we can beat anyone) by Mid May. If not, then we may need a new manager...
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dollkuhn. Show dollkuhn's posts

It is such a little word that appears in many of these posts....................... 
                                                         IF
    Not if.........................................................................................................
               WHEN?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fireballer5.8. Show fireballer5.8's posts

It goes to show, you can't but success.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1for89. Show 1for89's posts

[QUOTE]It goes to show, you can't but success.
    Posted by fireballer5.8[/QUOTE]

Nice gibberish, Gabby Johnson!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steve3344. Show Steve3344's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Put a Fork in this team : We shall see. Keep in mind the following: 1. The Red Sox have no catcher. Say what you want about Salty or Tek, but Salty can not hit. No wonder he's on his third team already. Varitek is well, a non factor. 2. Two spots in the rotation are absolutely brutal. 3. Have you seen the up the middle defense this year? Their catchers cant't throw anyone out, their shortstop has no range, and Ellsbury has looked lost in CF. If you look at the numbers, for the Sox to win 90 games, they have to go 88-63, almost .600. Good luck with that.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

For the Sox to win 90, they only have to play .582 ball - that's a 94 win pace for the remainder of the season.  I'm sure most everyone on here would expect the Sox to play at that pace the rest of the year.  94 wins is below the win total Las Vegas predicted the Sox would win this year and they can get to 90 wins and forget about their 2-9 start by playing at that pace from this point on.

But 90 wins may or may not win the wild card.  And I don't think it will win the division since the Yankees will probably surpass that total.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steve3344. Show Steve3344's posts

[QUOTE]The twins won the world series in 91-0r 92 and started the year 2-9 that year. Theyre hitting the ball hard and sooner than later the ball will find the holes. This team is too good and they will recover from this. and NO, its not rose-covered glasses. Its rational thinking.
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

The Twins in '91 did start 2-9, finished with 95 wins, and actually were 20-24 after 44 games.  They finished the season 75-43 over their last 118 games, a 103 win pace for that stretch, playing .636 ball after those first 44 games.  And even during that hot 118 game stretch they even lost 7 out of 8 from June 26th to July 3rd.

Recovering from a 2-9 start can be done.  Not very often, but it can be done.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steve3344. Show Steve3344's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Put a Fork in this team : Great point about Ted Williams and consistancy, and from what I've read Williams never went hitless for more than one game the entire year. Imagine a modern day ballplayer going an entire 162 game schedule and never going hitless more than one game. Truly amazing and probably will never happen again.
    Posted by Hetchinspete[/QUOTE]

You read wrong.  In 1941 Williams went hitless in back to back games April 20-21, went hitless in a doubleheader June 8th (0 for 5) again in back to back games June 22 & 24 (0 for 5) and even went hitless in five straight games July 11th through July 19th (0 for 7 with 4 walks).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Baba-Yaga. Show Baba-Yaga's posts

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

So where's ADG now? Did mom kick him out of her cellar?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

I need one my deputies to take down some names.  This thread is a good starting point. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2WbOmkut9E

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Baba-Yaga. Show Baba-Yaga's posts

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Baba-Yaga. Show Baba-Yaga's posts

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]Ughh!!  You're gonna be quoted on this one later on this summer. It's no fun right now,  but take a breath before breaking out the poison pen...  or keyboard in this instance. We are all frustrated right now,  but no more than the 25 guys in the dugout. They will hit...  count on it. 
    Posted by mustangbullitbri[/QUOTE]

Mustang ... so glad you placed this notice of prior reality here.

All the pain isn't gone, but since the 0-6 start, 9-5 ....

Pitching has come around superbly. 

As I've said many a time, see you in November!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from REDSOX-11. Show REDSOX-11's posts

Don't write them in just yet. They still have the Francona factor. IF THE GAMES START TO GET CLOSE HE WILL FIND A WAY TO LOSE THE MAJORITY OF THEM.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Put a Fork in this team : Mustang ... so glad you placed this notice of prior reality here. All the pain isn't gone, but since the 0-6 start, 9-5 .... Pitching has come around superbly.  As I've said many a time, see you in November!
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from REDSOX-11. Show REDSOX-11's posts

You aren't anything but another poster. Geesh I would love for the sheriff to come an try to arrest me! Let reality set in pal, you are a nothing just like everyone else here.

But I guess if you wish to live in a fantasy world go ahead, the sheriff and the worlds best manager in one big happy family. Just leave me out as there are enough other people with issues telling us how good of a manager Tito is! How's that sheriff?

[QUOTE]I need one my deputies to take down some names.  This thread is a good starting point. 
    Posted by losmediasrojas[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOU-KILL-US20. Show YOU-KILL-US20's posts

this is good!