Put Lackey on Mentally Unable to Perform List

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Re: Put Lackey on Mentally Unable to Perform List

Theo's worst signing, there is no one even a close second.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arodswallows. Show Arodswallows's posts

Would Pedro be worse, the same or better?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesey271975. Show jamesey271975's posts

In Response to Re: Put Lackey on Mentally Unable to Perform List:
    [QUOTE]Would Pedro be worse, the same or better?
    Posted by Arodswallows[/QUOTE]

How could anyone be worse? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Send Lackey to Japan or Korea for a few months to help build his confidence.

Better yet, send Lackey to North Korea so he can never come back. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lifelongsoxdawg1. Show lifelongsoxdawg1's posts

[QUOTE]John Lacking's antics are getting very tiresome indeed.
    Posted by william93063[/QUOTE]

BOYCOTT RED SOX GAMES UNTIL MANAGEMENT GETS RID OF LACKEY.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

[QUOTE]the worst pitcher ive seen in a red sox uniform. down there with eric gagne. straight garbage
    Posted by btownteamsrking[/QUOTE]

Mike Torez was the worst but fair enough Lackey is right up there.

I've said it since the day they signed him, bust. Every time we played him we kicked the snot out of him, let alone the tirade in the locker room when he was screaming how much he hated this place after one of the many beat downs we layed on him. He can't take the pressure of playing here. Then add on the pressure of trying to pitch like a star picher when in reality he was a 15 maybe sixteen game winner at best.

If this was the NFL we could cut our loses. Now we are stuck with a bad contract for a long time.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]Send Lackey to Japan or Korea for a few months to help build his confidence. Better yet, send Lackey to North Korea so he can never come back. 
    Posted by Ice-Cream[/QUOTE]

Ouch, Ice-Cream ...  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

Bring Weiland or Millwood from Pawtucket and put Slackluster on the DL. There is no way they can win with this guy in the starting rotation. What are they waiting for? His ERA to get out to 9.00 ? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I try to avoid making a habit of attacking or putting down any of our players, but....Lackey is a train wreck (Dannycater used the exact term I was thinking of) and isn't getting any better. Posters have been often heard to say that someone like Dice-K or Wakefield is "painful to watch" when they're pitching poorly, but Lackey is worse than either has ever been. Between his terrible performance and big contract, he's as big of a disaster as I can remember in recent years for this team.

I feel for him for what's going on in his personal life, but the team needs to put him on the DL or whatever other "list" may be appropriate until he really gets himself together - as long as that may take. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tartarus12. Show tartarus12's posts

Oh how I love Sox fans. Let me sart by saying I hate Lackey. I hated him when he pitched for the Angels and I hate him now. I thought he was going to be a disaster when the Sox signed him. But that doesn't mean squat. He's owed $50+ million on his contract. HE'S NOT GOING ANYWHERE! They're not going to DFA him so you better get use to him.

Now the one thing the Sox can do something about is the abortion known as Darnell McDonald. How Tito can use him as a pinch hitter is beyond me. Does he see something in McDonald the rest of the english speaking world doesn't? Save for one swing in Houston, would he still be on this team? He pinch hit for a guy hitting over .400 with a guy barely over a buck. I can only hope, after the break, there will be some changes made.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

I'm with you, Flapjack ... but when he strikes out at his own guys that's really immature.

I can't think he's a popular guy in the clubhouse after he behaves like that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

For the first time since the resurgence I'm having serious doubts about this team. Not because they lost one game today, but because they're being nickel and dimed to death by injuries--AGAIN. When will it end? If Lackey needs Tommy John, as rumors have it, how many players can we keep losing and expect to win? And if he chooses to gut it out, he can't keep pitching like this every other start. We only need three good pitchers for the postseason, but you have to get there first.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Put Lackey on Mentally Unable to Perform List : Mike Torez was the worst but fair enough Lackey is right up there. I've said it since the day they signed him, bust. Every time we played him we kicked the snot out of him, let alone the tirade in the locker room when he was screaming how much he hated this place after one of the many beat downs we layed on him. He can't take the pressure of playing here. Then add on the pressure of trying to pitch like a star picher when in reality he was a 15 maybe sixteen game winner at best. If this was the NFL we could cut our loses. Now we are stuck with a bad contract for a long time.
    Posted by NoMorePensionLooting[/QUOTE]

I'd kill for that out of him THIS year! If he'd do THAT, I'd have no problem with him!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Maybe Lackey want out of Boston as much as we fans want him out. I think he is just awful. He can't keep his team in the game but for a few. Time to eat contract and ship his sorry a_s somewhere else. Send him back to LA. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

Seriously, I understand giving him multiple chances, given the amount they have invested in him, but I have to draw the line with him that I have with McD. A contender just can't put someone out in the field, in July (i.e after 3 months of play), with a .100 BA, and they can't put a pitcher on the mound with a 7+ ERA. Just cannot do it and say to the competition we are going to beat you (let alone say to the team we are doing everything we can to put the best team on the field). And Lackey's remonstrations regarding his fielders are way old by now, even though Nancy did kind of wave at that foul ball.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]For the first time since the resurgence I'm having serious doubts about this team. Not because they lost one game today, but because they're being nickel and dimed to death by injuries--AGAIN. When will it end? If Lackey needs Tommy John, as rumors have it, how many players can we keep losing and expect to win? And if he chooses to gut it out, he can't keep pitching like this every other start. We only need three good pitchers for the postseason, but you have to get there first.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]

Be thankful that they're being nickled and dimed and not quartered and dollared like they were last year.  Every season, even some of the best teams have periods like this.  The Red Sox played very flat baseball midseason in 2004, and Trot Nixon, Bill Mueller, and Nomar were out of the lineup much of the time.  In 2007, Schilling was out for some time, and then later, some of the guys like Manny and Youk took it easy in September. 

What's going on this season is fairly typical.  The difference may be that fans have some unrealistic expectations for them and expect dominance.   

Right now, Lackey looks awful.  But thankfully, if Buch stays healthy, there's more than enough depth in the staff with Miller, Wakefield, and even Aceves as backup.  The bullpen also looks good, so with their lineup, they should string together enough wins. 

They're not likely to abandon Lackey for the season quite yet, but the leash is getting very short. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Well said Sheriff.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Put Lackey on Mentally Unable to Perform List : Be thankful that they're being nickled and dimed and not quartered and dollared like they were last year.  Every season, even some of the best teams have periods like this.  The Red Sox played very flat baseball midseason in 2004, and Trot Nixon, Bill Mueller, and Nomar were out of the lineup much of the time.  In 2007, Schilling was out for some time, and then later, some of the guys like Manny and Youk took it easy in September.  What's going on this season is fairly typical.  The difference may be that fans have some unrealistic expectations for them and expect dominance.    Right now, Lackey looks awful.  But thankfully, if Buch stays healthy, there's more than enough depth in the staff with Miller, Wakefield, and even Aceves as backup.  The bullpen also looks good, so with their lineup, they should string together enough wins.  They're not likely to abandon Lackey for the season quite yet, but the leash is getting very short. 
    Posted by Sheriff-Rojas[/QUOTE]

The leash is one more game.  If he gets destroyed again then he is done for the year in my opinion.  The Red Sox aren't stupid.  They know this guy has been truly pathetic this entire season.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Put Lackey on Mentally Unable to Perform List : Ouch, Ice-Cream ...    
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

I am sorry SinceYaz if I sounded too harsh. 

I am just upset like everyone else here. 

And Lackey has five years left on his contract. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

A. J. Burnout just coughed up 4 in the 7th. NY has pitching issues of their own. Don't worry, they aren't going anywhere.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I would rather have AJ Burnett than Lackey. 

If Lackey takes the mound, then the Red Sox need to score at least 10 runs in order to win the game. 

Or I think Theo should take Lackey to Disneyworld to help clear his head and make him more relaxed.  Or take him to Dunkin Donuts and give him a nice frozen hot chocolate. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Put Lackey on Mentally Unable to Perform List : Be thankful that they're being nickled and dimed and not quartered and dollared like they were last year.  Every season, even some of the best teams have periods like this.  The Red Sox played very flat baseball midseason in 2004, and Trot Nixon, Bill Mueller, and Nomar were out of the lineup much of the time.  In 2007, Schilling was out for some time, and then later, some of the guys like Manny and Youk took it easy in September.  What's going on this season is fairly typical.  The difference may be that fans have some unrealistic expectations for them and expect dominance.    Right now, Lackey looks awful.  But thankfully, if Buch stays healthy, there's more than enough depth in the staff with Miller, Wakefield, and even Aceves as backup.  The bullpen also looks good, so with their lineup, they should string together enough wins.  They're not likely to abandon Lackey for the season quite yet, but the leash is getting very short. 
    Posted by Sheriff-Rojas[/QUOTE]

IF Buch stays healthy(but what if he can't), Miller has done well but young, and Wake is always hit or miss. Lackey needs to go bye-bye even if it means paying his contract. The way he treats other team members is just awful, like his pitching. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]I would rather have AJ Burnett than Lackey.  If Lackey takes the mound, then the Red Sox need to score at least 10 runs in order to win the game.  Or I think Theo should take Lackey to Disneyworld to help clear his head and make him more relaxed.  Or take him to Dunkin Donuts and give him a nice frozen hot chocolate. 
    Posted by Ice-Cream[/QUOTE]

Well, I'd agree that Burnett is better at this moment than Lackey, but last year Burnett was doing what Lackey is this year. You never know what will happen as the year goes on, but I do agree that the leash with Lackey has to be very short. The first thing is to establish if he's physically ok, and he says he is. If so, the Sox DO need to make some judgements about what's wrong.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I think management should put Lackey on the 15-day DL.  Lackey can use that time to clear his head and tak care of any distractions that he may have. 

Or send Lackey to AAA to help build his confidence.   

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Put Lackey on Mentally Unable to Perform List : Well, I'd agree that Burnett is better at this moment than Lackey, but last year Burnett was doing what Lackey is this year. You never know what will happen as the year goes on, but I do agree that the leash with Lackey has to be very short. The first thing is to establish if he's physically ok, and he says he is. If so, the Sox DO need to make some judgements about what's wrong.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]
    Last year A.J. Burnett had a 5.26 ERA, 100 ERA+, 1.3 WAR* and 10-15 record in 33 starts (including a 3.86 ERA in his first 13 starts).

This season John Lackey has a 7.46 ERA and a 5-8 record in 13 starts (and had an ERA+ of 59 and a WAR of 0.3 entering today's start).

A.J. Burnett struggled last season but John Lackey's struggles this season have been more serious.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

Sections
Shortcuts