Put Lackey on Mentally Unable to Perform List

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

Re: Put Lackey on Mentally Unable to Perform List

162 games.......can we stop living on every up and down?...teams lose..pitchers slump......we love Beckett now, but where was all the love before??...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

harness came to Lackey's defense, but I guess I started the lynch mob. Well, let me speak for some of Sox Nation here and say:
    1. We understand he has personal problems
    2. We feel for him as a person
    3. He should not be pitching in the Sox Rotation anymore in 2011

No. 3 is important. That's why he needs to go on "personal leave"...It's not the end of the world for him to put his family first, and MLB/job second. Really, it's ok. We understand. We just don't want to see him pitch anymore in 2011. We've seen enough of the Lackey 2011 Side Show.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Sometimes the self-annoited perfect fan will defend every player, even when its obvious to the rest of the world its a bad deal.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sal1369. Show sal1369's posts

Francona is just as bad as Slackey. He consistantly makes costly choices in regards to managing this team...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The----Babe----. Show --The----Babe----'s posts

In Response to Re: Put Lackey on Mentally Unable to Perform List:
    Reading this thread, you'd swear it was about Charles Manson. Wow. Lots of anger here. I watch replays of games because I don't get emotionally involved the 2nd time around. Sure it's tough to take. There's no defending Lackey's year so far. But let me point out a few things.  Watching the replays, I look for things like form/command/velocity - the positives and the negatives. This talk of TJ surgery for Lackey is groundless. He threw 93 today and topped out at 94, which is a sign of a perfectly healthy elbow/arm/shoulder. The reason he got hammered is because he had no control of his breaking stuff, which is his bread & butter. Hitters were sitting dead-red, and at Fenway in the summer, that's a recipe for an early shower. Lackey doesn't have the weapons of a Lester (cutter) or Buch. Or the vast repitoire of Beckett. His early season woes stemmed from a bad elbow. Since coming back: 5.6 IP  3 H  3 ER 6 IP     6 H  4 ER 8 IP     8 H  4 ER 3.3 IP  4 H  5 ER 7.6 IP  8 H  2 ER and today's debacle. The reality is that he's a pitcher who will beat mediocre/poor teams when he's on. He has little margin for error without his command, which is good more often than not. He's got far less pitching in Fenway park. He's no ace in this venue/division and never will be. But he's 3-3 since his return and a .500 season from him in the 2nd half isn't the end of the world. He's pitching under some trying circumstances and isn't imploding because he wants to. Nor does he want to bring out the rage of Boston fans. In other words, he didn't have poor command today on purpose. He threw some pitches on the black at 93 and was hit. The Toronto line-up is a far cry from the NL ones. Against lesser, maybe he is mediocre at best today. Now, by all means, carry on with your blood -stained noose. Logic never has any place in a lynch mob.

Posted by harness

No....Joba was hitting 95 on the gun and still need TJ surgery.

Clueless as usual harness.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

In Response to Put Lackey on Mentally Unable to Perform List:
    I've had enough of watching this trainwreck on the mound...you clowns who want Wakefield out of the rotation, ought to rethink where you are coming from when this 82-million dollar albatross continues to implode start after start...he's not getting outs, and he has one good start for every 3 bad ones...enough.
    Posted by dannycater

On the fact alone he has been horrible against the Yankees, how on earth could Epstein sign him?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

harness came to Lackey's defense, but I guess I started the lynch mob. Well, let me speak for some of Sox Nation here and say: 1. We understand he has personal problems 2. We feel for him as a person 3. He should not be pitching in the Sox Rotation anymore in 2011 No. 3 is important. That's why he needs to go on "personal leave"...It's not the end of the world for him to put his family first, and MLB/job second. Really, it's ok. We understand. We just don't want to see him pitch anymore in 2011. We've seen enough of the Lackey 2011 Side Show.
    Posted by dannycater

The personal problem was stated but not meant to be used as an excuse for getting rocked. Let's face it, DC, Wake has been hit lately too. Right now Lackey and Wake are needed bodies with Dice out and Buch down.

Lackey has been .500 since his return from the DL, and that doesn't warrant removal. Wake has been similar since he re-joined the rotation. If you feel this strongly about Lackey, then why didn't you start this thread after his solid 8-inning outing? You accuse others of the same with Wake in that you didn't need much to start this fire.

And if I recall, you were hammering Beckett last year when Josh was down.
    Works both ways.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

no, wakefield doesn't get hit like Lackey has...and Wakefield has a Sox history, Lackey does not. He was not that great last year, got a lot of run support and basically did not earn his 16 million. Lackey had a good start v. Philly, and I applauded him for it, but 1 start in 4 does not make a good starter. As for Wakefield, he has often been a victim of some shoddy defense behind him and he's had some bad innings, but even in those games he will have 1-2-3s and get into the 6th without too much harm being done. Lackey has a lot of bad innings, and they usually are quite early in the game, putting the team in a hole.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

DC: You forget, I support Wake. I'm just bringing up a valid point.
    I also suggest you look into Lackey's poor run support last year.
    The game logs expose both good and bad. He could have easily won 17-18 games.

The fact Lackey has limited history in Boston is all the more reason to be patient.
    If Pittsburgh had been that with Wake, his history would have been in the
    N.L. - a history that might include HOF talk.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from The--Babe------. Show The--Babe------'s posts

DC : You forget, I support Wake. I'm just bringing up a valid point. I also suggest you look into Lackey's poor run support last year. The game logs expose both good and bad. He could have easily won 17-18 games. The fact Lackey has limited history in Boston is all the more reason to be patient. If Pittsburgh had been that with Wake, his history would have been in the N.L. - a history that might include HOF talk.
    Posted by harness

LOL....drivel.

It's one thing to be patient with a 26 yr old with two seasons in the majors under his belt and another to be patient with a 31 yr old with 10 seasons in the majors. lackey is what he is.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

harness, good point on Wake with Pittsburgh, gave up too fast on him, but even Tim admits that he was so terrible by the time they released him, I don't even think he thought he should be employed. It was the worst stretch of his career, then like Tiant getting a new lease on life after Indians and loss of his fastball, Wake rediscovered his knuckler in time for 95 Sox.

On Lackey, look you don't think all of us don't want him to be a top-class pitcher like he was early in his career with Angels? We all do, but he's just not even close to keeping the Sox in games. Forget the ERA (I'm so sick of ERA having the say all over Cy Young, over someone's ability to win games or pitch well enough to win games. Sometimes you can have a mediocre ERA and still be a quality pitcher. So many other factors). I look at just the number of hard hits allowed during a start first time through the lineup. If you are getting lit up 5 times before you get through the FIRST time through the lineup, that's not a good sign. Lackey has had this happen more than a few times this year. Early collapses.

That's why i point to mental fatigue or mental preparedness. toughness. The best starters are the one who can get through a tough spot during a start, early on or late. That's why Tiant was so effective. His ERA at times wasn't great, but he pitched well enough often to give his team a chance at winning. Not much more you can ask. I think Wakefield still has that quality of getting through a rough spot. Lackey?  You got more faith in him than basically anyone else on this forum. So you are by yourself, here, pal.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pitzer04. Show pitzer04's posts

Lackey needs to be put on the DL.  Obviously (and understandably) his wife's cancer is getting to him.  He was fine last year (but overpaid) and will be fine again, but a team in the pennant race can't afford for him to be putting up these kinds of numbers.  All you people talking about releasing him or getting rid of him are idiots.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Send Lackey to North Korea.  

That communist Dear Leader, Kim Jong Il will smack some sense into Lackey.   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

harness, good point on Wake with Pittsburgh, gave up too fast on him, but even Tim admits that he was so terrible by the time they released him, I don't even think he thought he should be employed. It was the worst stretch of his career, then like Tiant getting a new lease on life after Indians and loss of his fastball, Wake rediscovered his knuckler in time for 95 Sox. On Lackey, look you don't think all of us don't want him to be a top-class pitcher like he was early in his career with Angels? We all do, but he's just not even close to keeping the Sox in games. Forget the ERA (I'm so sick of ERA having the say all over Cy Young, over someone's ability to win games or pitch well enough to win games. Sometimes you can have a mediocre ERA and still be a quality pitcher. So many other factors). I look at just the number of hard hits allowed during a start first time through the lineup. If you are getting lit up 5 times before you get through the FIRST time through the lineup, that's not a good sign. Lackey has had this happen more than a few times this year. Early collapses. That's why i point to mental fatigue or mental preparedness. toughness. The best starters are the one who can get through a tough spot during a start, early on or late. That's why Tiant was so effective. His ERA at times wasn't great, but he pitched well enough often to give his team a chance at winning. Not much more you can ask. I think Wakefield still has that quality of getting through a rough spot. Lackey?  You got more faith in him than basically anyone else on this forum. So you are by yourself, here, pal.
    Posted by dannycater

I don't mind taking lone stances, DC.
    And I agree with you that the measure of a pitcher should never be limited to ERA.
    Last year, Lackey kept Boston in over 70% of the games he pitched.
    He threw 93 on the black last outing. Just had no command of his breaking stuff. I say he'll rebound and be at least a .500 pitcher from here on out, if he's physically healthy.

Remember this projection.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

well, as it is, he may be staying in the rotation out of necessity. Lester, Buchholz go down after Dice-K out for year. Just way too many injuries to the starters...but lo and behold not Wakefield, the guy so many people were incorrectly stating he's not capable of throwing regularly due to his fragile health...He never goes on the DL, only in 2009 second half did he have his problems. Been healthy ever since.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Please, don't jinx Wake! Remember, it was you who said there was no real need to carry 6 legit starters. Do you still feel this way?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

If John Lackey get's lit up tomorrow, they will definitely do something with him.

The Red Sox have won 8 of 10, and do you know who had the two losses?  John Lackey. If the Red Sox lose tomorrow, it will be 8 of 11, with potentially all three losses going to none other than John Lackey.

He will be taken out of the rotation if he has a bad outing tomorrow. Wait and see.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Who replaces him? Atchison?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Theo's worst signing, there is no one even a close second.
    Posted by william93063

Sorry, but I won't blame Theo for trying. Surely now in restrospect it isn't a good signing but at the time Lackey was coming off of five decent seasons with LA including a 19 win season and five consecutive years with an ERA in the threes. If Lackey had been signed by the Yankees or Tampa Bay and pitching well most would be yelling at Theo for not signing him.

As for the dumb comment by someone about the Gagne signing for those with a very short memory Eric Gagne at the time was coming off of two years mostly away from MLB due to injury and was in the middle of a very succesful comeback year with Texas pitching in 34 games with an ERA of 2.16 and there was no way anyone knew he would not be a good signing. Unfortunately it didn't work out, but you can't fault Theo for that signing. 

Hetchinspete.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Now we see what happens when Lackey does get his breaking stuff over.
    Hide the noose until it's again convenient.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

Sections
Shortcuts