Put you stats books away, John

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Put your stats books away, John

John, some of your lineups look like they were done using numbered ping-pong balls. And some of your shifts look like Xmas Eve at a General Motors plant. What's going on? Middlebrooks must be going nuts; where in the world am I supposed to be, now that the count is 2-2? In case of a ground ball that Napoli happens to field, do I cover second, third? Hey, John, let me play third base, OK? And let the pitchers pitch the way they are most effective (not on how the infield is set up!)

And, John, Mike Carp is no longer a major league ball player, or haven't you noticed? Did you put him at cleanup, so you're No 3 hitter would be well covered?

Go back to 2013, John. Stop the shifting to cover omne hole so as to open three others. Let the guys play their positions like they have been doing since little league. And get rid of Carp; bring back Holt.

John, you're better than this.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Put you stats books away, John

CONCUR,  play the game as it is to be played not like Sunday Morning BAR ROOM SOFTBALL !!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The shifts work, which is why other teams use them too.  A little too early to write Carp off.  And where the heck does Holt play if he returns?  The infield of MBR, Bogaerts, Pedey, and Napoli is pretty well set.  Experimenting with lineups against knuckleballers is OK and doesn't happen often.  Right now the leadoff spot is an issue, especially if you also want to put Pedroia, Victorino, and Ortiz in the top three spots.  The best OBP on the team is Napoli, over .400, but the second best is Bogaerts, .391.  Whatever, the batting order does not need to be set when the team is not hitting well or even when it is hitting well--see last year when Farrell did a fair amount of platooning, etc. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Lead off Sizemore, see if he can hit anymore.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

In response to billge's comment:

Sizemore needs to be sent to triple A

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to chickenandboose's comment:

so the guy is batting .342 after the first couple weeks of the season and then he hits a bad slump for 2 weeks and you want to throw him away??? especially seeing how weak and thin we are in the outfield?!?!?!?

Would you send Pedey down if he slumped for two weeks! would you send Ortiz down if he slumped for 2 weeks!

Give Sizemore some time, he looked great in spring training and he looked good to start off the year and he can field the position better than Nava/Carp/Gomes can.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

so the guy is batting .342 after the first couple weeks of the season and then he hits a bad slump for 2 weeks and you want to throw him away??? especially seeing how weak and thin we are in the outfield?!?!?!?

Would you send Pedey down if he slumped for two weeks! would you send Ortiz down if he slumped for 2 weeks!

Give Sizemore some time, he looked great in spring training and he looked good to start off the year and he can field the position better than Nava/Carp/Gomes can.  

CONCUR  !!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Hey, correct me if I am wrong, but, Farrell did a lot of shifting in 2013 and most people called Mike Carp not-major-league-material until about July.  Am I misremembering?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I hate the shifts. As far as I'm concerned they should be made illegal. They are the evil work of that Goofy Genius.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Seems like just about every team is using these shifts now. I would imagine they have stats to show the effectiveness of it.  I wonder what these shifts do to the UZR metric. Not that I have much faith in that anyway.

Stabbed by Foulke.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

John, some of your lineups look like they were done using numbered ping-pong balls. And some of your shifts look like Xmas Eve at a General Motors plant. What's going on? Middlebrooks must be going nuts; where in the world am I supposed to be, now that the count is 2-2? In case of a ground ball that Napoli happens to field, do I cover second, third? Hey, John, let me play third base, OK? And let the pitchers pitch the way they are most effective (not on how the infield is set up!)

And, John, Mike Carp is no longer a major league ball player, or haven't you noticed? Did you put him at cleanup, so you're No 3 hitter would be well covered?

Go back to 2013, John. Stop the shifting to cover omne hole so as to open three others. Let the guys play their positions like they have been doing since little league. And get rid of Carp; bring back Holt.

So last year Carp was a major league ballplayer but after 30 at bats this year he isn't anymore?

I bet you're tough to win an argument against.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    No, you're not misreading anything. It's a matter of "what have you done for me lately". This isn't 5 games into the season. Carp looks like he's out of shape, and he's playing like that. Not only with the bat, but every bad throw to 1st base (when he's there) means trouble. I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice that.

Hey, correct me if I am wrong, but, Farrell did a lot of shifting in 2013 and most people called Mike Carp not-major-league-material until about July.  Am I misremembering?

[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

"John, you're better than this."     No, that's pretty much John.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

I agree 100%. Sizemore is the one player on the team that I see making the largest improvement. And, yes, he s/b leading off.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

The shifts work, which is why other teams use them too.  A little too early to write Carp off.  And where the heck does Holt play if he returns?  The infield of MBR, Bogaerts, Pedey, and Napoli is pretty well set.  Experimenting with lineups against knuckleballers is OK and doesn't happen often.  Right now the leadoff spot is an issue, especially if you also want to put Pedroia, Victorino, and Ortiz in the top three spots.  The best OBP on the team is Napoli, over .400, but the second best is Bogaerts, .391.  Whatever, the batting order does not need to be set when the team is not hitting well or even when it is hitting well--see last year when Farrell did a fair amount of platooning, etc. 

I can see shiftin against Ortiz, a few others; but, Ellsbury, Texeira? C'mon. You've taken the ball right out of Lester's hands. He pitches them inside, abll one. A little too much oif the plate, they hammer it. he can't throw his best cutter pitches outside,and then watch the ballrattle arounf the left field corner. He can't pitch his normal way, and that's my point! The other night against Baltimore, they were even talking to him about. Saying what? LF is wide open, John, keep the ball inside? If the Globe had some decent baseball writers, they'd be asking around, getting the scoop. We learn more in this forum than we do from all the Boston Baeball Writers put together (another pet peeve!)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

No, you're not misreading anything. It's a matter of "what have you done for me lately". This isn't 5 games into the season. Carp looks like he's out of shape, and he's playing like that. Not only with the bat, but every bad throw to 1st base (when he's there) means trouble. I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice that.

'What have you done for me lately' is an incredibly self-destructive philosophy.  Virtually every player has a bad stretch.  the idea that you are going to dump every player that has a 9-AB slump borders on insanity.

Carp had a very respectable .802 OPS on 4/18.

He had a good game on 4/26.

In between, he went 0-9.

So a guy goes 0-9 and you want to dump him, even though no one else on the roster can reasonably play 1st when Napoli needs a day off?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

OK, now i get it.  Its just a lack of understanding that baseball, more than any other sport, tends to move in waves - crests and troughs of performance.  Mike Carp is the same guy he was last year.  Take a look at his hot and cold stretches and tell me it is somehow different than this year.  Also, platooning is more difficult than most people give credit for.  Hard to get in rhythym when you are not getting everyday run.  

Sections
Shortcuts