Putting together the 2012 Red Sox Roster: Let's help Ben Cherington!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Putting together the 2012 Red Sox Roster: Let's help Ben Cherington!

Yeah, lava's gonna learn hot to catch in one short ST. 

Once again, your brilliance is stupifying.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

How many goats do the Red Sox have left on the farm system, Moonslow.

You're the champion goat hearder, why not give us your take on the prospects I reviewed here?

I do think we have a few players who could make a splash next year, but all are a gamble to some extent, and this team can not afford more than 1 or 2 "gambles" to have a legitimate shot at a ring in 2012. Theo took a huge gamble on Pedey. I think he convinced Tito to "gamble" on sticking with Pedey through a rough start. I am not saying we have another Pedey ready for next year, but was he highly touted by national services at the time? He made it as high as 3rd in Soxprospects.

I do think Lavarnway has a very good chance to make an impact in 2012. The problem is, he is not ready to be a full-time catcher, so that means his only slot is DH (and back-up or 3rd catcher). Letting Papi go to give Lava a shot is a huge risk, although we could fall back on Youk at DH and let Aviles and Lowrie platoon at 3B.

I do not have high hopes for Reddick or Kalish, but do think there is a good chance one of them can improve enough to be a decent platoon (vs RHPs) RF'er next year. Both are very good fielders, so that helps. We'd need to pick up a decent RH'd platoon guy to compliment the one who wins the job.

I'll admit I am biased towards great fielding SSs. I have presented my case several times on how saving hits at SS by having superior range and a strong arm can tip the balance and make a very weak hitting SS equal to or better than a good or great hitting SS who can't field well or is average at best. That being said, from what I hear about Iglesias, I'm convinced he is MLB ready on defense. Personally, if he is as great as they say he is on "D", I'd rather have him as our FT SS batting .200 than Scutty and Lowrie batting .290 combined. They also have a kid named Bogaerts who is only 19 and is now rated one above Iggy at #5 on Soxprospects. I won't count on him for 2012, but watch out!

I have never seen Middlebrooks play, so I can not say much about him. He is rated out number one prospect, and if you look at the history of Soxprospects top prospects over the years, the list has many great names and virtually no "misses", except for maybe Lars Anderson. Will is 23, so I do see him having a chance to make it up to the club in 2012, especially if Papi walks and Youk is used at DH a lot.

I do not expect any pitching help from the farm this year, except for maybe Tazawa(25).  Doubront (23), Bowden (24), or Weiland (24) may do something, but I seriously doubt they will have a big impact. I suppose Alex Wilson (24) could surprise us, but I wouldn't count on it. I don't count Miller as a prospect after 66 MLB starts. Ranaudo, Brittonand Barnes are just 22. I think they are too far away to expect 2012 help. Pimentel is 21 and had an awful 2011.

We have a lot of good prospects that are not ready yet for MLB, but could be in 1-3 years:
    9) Jacobs (20) OF
    10) Swihart (19) C
    11) Coyle (19) 2B
    12) Cecchini (20) 3B
    17) Vitek (22) 3B
    18) Head (20) 1B
    20) Tejada (21) 2B

Then there's Anderson (24), Hassan (23), Lin (23), Exposito (24) , and Linares (27) as dark horses for help in 2012.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Yeah, lava's gonna learn hot to catch in one short ST.

Once again, your brilliance is stupifying.

Lavarway has been around more than one short ST. He will get his shot in ST and your blanket claim he isnt ready is as stupid as your claim that Wakefield should get 1.5M to be the 5th starter.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I want Wake as a possible 6/7th starter. The thread that I mentioned Waake as the 5th starter was used as an example of what we could end up looking like if we spend on filling positional holes and just get one top starter. I had mentioned Wake as a fifth starter until Dice-K returns, but if you want to continue to mislead, divert, delude and outright lie, we'll all know it is business as usual in softy's mom's basement. 

BTW, I'd rather have Wake as our 5th starter than your idea of Jake as our 4th OF'er with Cam as the FT CF'er and CC leading off. (Amazingly, you held this position up to and after Cam was traded and had a few good games afterwards.)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

I never held that postion. I said to platoon Cameron with 3 lefty feet. Instead, 7.5M was more InEpstein stunk cost. My 2011 OF would not have been Crawford Ellsbury and lefty/AAA. InEpstein piled the crap to work with.

I live in a 10000 sqaure foot house.

You would rather have Adam Dunn and extend Ellsbury to match up with Crawford on the career year bust contract line. 

Wake is a disgrace, and you deserve to see him kicked to the curb and chase 7 more wins in AAA. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I never held that postion. 

You are sick. You wanted Cam as the FT CF'er from 2010 all the way until even after he was traded. You repeatedly said Ells should be the 4th OF'er, that is, when you weren't actively working our fantasy trades.

I said to platoon Cameron with 3 lefty feet. 

You said Cam was better than Ells even vs RHPs. You lie.

Instead, 7.5M was more InEpstein stunk cost. My 2011 OF would not have been Crawford Ellsbury and lefty/AAA. InEpstein piled the crap to work with.

You act like you alone were aginst Crawford. At least those of us who knew he was not more than a glorified platoon player didn't argue to bat him 1st all year with jake on the bench.

I live in a 10000 sqaure foot house.

Oooooooooo... is that supposed to prove you don't lie?

You would rather have Adam Dunn and extend Ellsbury to match up with Crawford on the career year bust contract line. 

I have never said extend Jake...ever.
    I never said I'd have paid even close to what Dunn got last winter.

Wake is a disgrace, and you deserve to see him kicked to the curb and chase 7 more wins in AAA. 

The disgrace is you. You lie and lie and lie...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Old man, you are unhinged and delusional. You constantly wanted Adam Dunn. Your prevarications are pitiful.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes, I wanted Dunn the winter the Nats signed him for $20M/2. He went on to hit 76 HRs and knock in 208 runs (.378 OBP) in 2 years with Wash.

Yes, I wanted us to trade for Dunn last July when we were broken with injuries and you were calling for Overbay to the rescue. He had 14 HRs and 39 RBIs in Aug-Sept 2010.

Yes, I mentioned Dunn as a possible LF'er or 1Bman or if Theo let Papi walk as a DH, but I never said I wanted Papi gone. I thought he'd get about $32 to 36M/3. I never said he was my top option last winter. $56M/4 was sick and I said it at the time.

I actually wanted Ordonez at $10M/1. I'd still take that deal over CC's.

Stop the lies.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

As for the subject of clutch hitting.....
    isn't it odd that the same players manager to knock in 100 runs, regardless of what team they're playing for?
    It means their sphincters don't pucker when men are on base. They hit and drive those people in.
    Of course, the bloodless, souless stat geeks will tell us RBIs are an accident.
    Again, why do the same people knock in 100 runs year after year?
    Just luck, right?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

It'll be all soft pedalling talk from the Boston sportswriters from here on...they are afraid of being slammed for damaging the economics of the sinking ship....it would be too hard on the big town to add what David Stern has done to the NBA....a major blow to the business environment in all the NBA towns.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Putting together the 2012 Red Sox Roster: Let's help Ben Cherington!:
    As for the subject of clutch hitting..... isn't it odd that the same players manager to knock in 100 runs, regardless of what team they're playing for? It means their sphincters don't pucker when men are on base. They hit and drive those people in. Of course, the bloodless, souless stat geeks will tell us RBIs are an accident. Again, why do the same people knock in 100 runs year after year? Just luck, right?
    Posted by GhostofTito

1) Not all RBIs are "clutch", so equating the two is pointless.
    2) Not many players get 100 RBIs year after year. Papi has done it once in the last 4 seasons, and he's considered very clutch and had high OBP guys up ahead of him. He batted .309 with 29 HRs (29 RBIs right there), but only ended up with 96 RBIs.
    3) RBIs are not luck. If someone consistently has a better BA and Slg% with men on base year after year, let me know who he is. I am not saying there aren't any out there, but I have checked many of the players I considered clutch and found some surprising data.
    4) Clutch to me  is someone who does better than his normal or average performance when it counts (Late and Close is a good stat, but is not perfect. High Leverage is another stat some use). Doing better in the playoffs is another sign. To me, a guy who hits .250, but hits .300 in clutch situations is clutch. I just don't know many players that do it very often. 
    5) I'm not saying "clutch" is not real. I'm just saying it is hard for a player or team to stay clutch over a large sample size. A player that is a great hitter who ends up with over 100 RBIs most years may not really be clutch, in my opinion, if he does worse in clutch situations than otherwise. Maybe you have a different idea of what clutch means. That's fine with me.

I do think RBIs totals are in large part helped by opportunity. Some players get way more than others. Some do better than others with those opportunites, but it's hard to prove that a guy with way more opportunities is "more clutch" than one with way less. 

I didn't mean to imply Papi is not clutch. He might not have been very clutch recently, but he will always go down in my book as one of the most clutch (if not the number one) players in Sox history. I don't care what his career numbers say. He was clutch when we needed it in 2004, and then again in 2007. That's enough for me.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Moon: I see you going at Softone as you see me/Boom.
    Neither of us can let go when there are arrows and fabrications.
    Nor should we. Pigeons sh*t on statues who can't shoot back.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Harness, you and fellow stooge Moonslow are two imbedded homey shills who attempt to bully and self-annoint as moderating dictators. If you were legitimate independent minded posters, you would not make 20,000 posts without so much as a single deletion.

Up until the day Tito and Epstein were off the reservation after 2011 debacle, you two morons were claiming they were going nowhere.

Boomerang and I have had our differences, but he most certainly is not an imbedded homey drone. 

Varitek is most likely done in Boston, a good time for your "idol" presence to turn over imbedded NYT Board shill role over to the next drone.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

And you are an escapee from a lunatic asylum.
    You shouldn't be allowed to post without a keeper.
    UR Wake/Tek rants are borderline psychotic.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

No, your Tek magic fingers and Timmy T-Ball best pitcher in September campaign is delusional and de facto psychotic.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

This lunatic is so deranged, he now posts in stereo.

posted at 10/20/2011 1:00 AM EDT
    First: 10/13/2011
    Last: 10/20/2011
    No, your Tek magic fingers and Timmy T-Ball best pitcher in September campaign is delusional and de facto psychotic.

posted at 10/20/2011 1:02 AM EDT
    First: 10/13/2011

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

It was just one post, put down your crack pipe.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Again you are caught in a lie. Check the times of each post. You can't even own up to UR own simple mistake.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Putting together the 2012 Red Sox Roster: Let's help Ben Cherington!:
    Moon : I see you going at Softone as you see me/Boom. Neither of us can let go when there are arrows and fabrications. Nor should we. Pigeons sh*t on statues who can't shoot back.
    Posted by harness

I iggy'd him.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Again you are caught in a lie. Check the times of each post. You can't even own up to UR own simple mistake.
    Posted by harness

No, he just goes back and changes them.

He carries his banning like a badge. Yet, when some of my posts were erased from his infamous "AGon will be a FA after 2011" post (that was his oh for 113 position: he's up to oh for 228 now) , he got all over me for daring to offend the mods.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

posted at 10/20/2011 4:17 AM EDT
    First: 10/16/2007
    Again you are caught in a lie. Check the times of each post. You can't even own up to UR own simple mistake.
    New postReply to this postIgnore harness

posted at 10/20/2011 4:19 AM EDT
    First: 10/16/2007
    Again you are caught in a lie. Check the times of each post. You can't even own up to UR own simple mistake.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Harness, you need to take a break from your shill stalking job. I'll look for Adam Dunn as the new Red Sox OFer and AGon FA negotiations after he finished the season with the Padres.

You two are a couple of imbedded stooges, pretending to be independent regular posters.

Theo didn't stay, like you said he would. Maybe that report that he is still working for the Red Sox instead of the Cubs is giving you new hope.......................

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

Since this is about putting together a team for next year, the intitial steps have already been taken.....FrancoMa is gone, Thank God, and now Epstink is about to finally be out of the Red Sox family....Double Thank God.  Now where do we  go from here?

First addition by subtraction.....release Varitek and Wakefield, do not bring those relics back.  They are through as Jason did with that, what, 160 average in September?  He can't hit, can't throw and apparently he didn't exactly act as a leader when the team came apart.  Wakefield is a joke, an overweight fat joke who can't pitch anymore and, worst of all, can't field because he can't move. Also say goodbye to McDonald.  He can't not only hit but he can't field worth a damn either, and is one of the biggest dumbells on the bases.  Goodby Miller; he is a total stiff who can't find the plate and when he does gets lit up like a neon light.

Weiland back to the minors and not to show his face in the Majors until he learns how to win.  He stunk every time he went out there.  Those five have to go.  Now we can get down to the 2012 roster---which will come in my next post.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Since this is about putting together a team for next year, the intitial steps have already been taken.....FrancoMa is gone, Thank God, and now Epstink is about to finally be out of the Red Sox family....Double Thank God.  Now where do we  go from here? First addition by subtraction.....release Varitek and Wakefield, do not bring those relics back.  They are through as Jason did with that, what, 160 average in September?  He can't hit, can't throw and apparently he didn't exactly act as a leader when the team came apart.  Wakefield is a joke, an overweight fat joke who can't pitch anymore and, worst of all, can't field because he can't move. Also say goodbye to McDonald.  He can't not only hit but he can't field worth a damn either, and is one of the biggest dumbells on the bases.  Goodby Miller; he is a total stiff who can't find the plate and when he does gets lit up like a neon light. Weiland back to the minors and not to show his face in the Majors until he learns how to win.  He stunk every time he went out there.  Those five have to go.  Now we can get down to the 2012 roster---which will come in my next post.
    Posted by seabeachfred

Another old man acting like a ten year old using schoolyard childish nicknames to voice his displeasure with certain players. Didn't Babe, Yazzer, and Andrew wear out this juvenile tactic. Barracks humor. Some people never grow up.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

First addition by subtraction.....release Varitek and Wakefield, do not bring those relics back.  They are through as Jason did with that, what, 160 average in September?  He can't hit, can't throw and apparently he didn't exactly act as a leader when the team came apart.  Wakefield is a joke, an overweight fat joke who can't pitch anymore and, worst of all, can't field because he can't move.

No need for that. Varitek and Wakefield are no longer with the Boston Red Sox. They are FA and are both begging for a  Red Sox contact offer because no other GM is stupid enough to give them a MLB contract and guaranteed roster spot.

Sections
Shortcuts