Putting together the 2012 Red Sox Roster: Let's help Ben Cherington!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Re: Putting together the 2012 Red Sox Roster: Let's help Ben Cherington!

That OF has 4 lefties.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

COLONEL HENRY ,   "TRANSFORM" THAT TEAM !!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Everyone say it with me,

"B"

"B"

"B"

After 8 seasons of "T" and "Th", "B" will take a little time to come rolling off our lips or ticking off our keyboards ....

Welcome "B" en ...   

Know this, we is behind yah.

::  ::  :: 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

The best thing I like about your suggested roster.....no Youk.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

How is helping anyone, suggesting a lineup with no power and a bench with Brad Hawpe?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Putting together the 2012 Red Sox Roster: Let's help Ben Cherington!:
    [QUOTE]I say enough negativity. Past is past. Let's start dreaming of the 2012 Championship Boston Red Sox. I remember the '67 Red Sox mixing veterans and rookies in their lineup. I say let a couple of our rookies start. Please give Ben your suggestions. Our 2012 Red Sox Starting Lineup (9): 1. Jacoby Ellsbury, CF 2. Carl Crawford, LF 3. Dustin Pedroia, 2B 4. Adrian Gonzalez, 1B 5. Will Middlebrooks 3B 6. David Ortiz, DH 7. Ryan Kalish RF 8. Jarrod Saltalamacchia, C 9. Marco Scutaro, SS Bench (5): Jed Lowrie, Utility; Mike Aviles, Utility; Josh Reddick, OF; Ryan Lavarnway, C; Brad Hawpe, OF/1B Starting Rotation (5): Josh Beckett, RHP; Jon Lester, LHP; Clay Buchholz, RHP; Daniel Bard RHP; Alfredo Aceves, RHP Bullpen (6): Jonathan Papelbon, RHP; Felix Doubront LHP; Bobby Jenks, RHP; Heath Bell, RHP; Rafael Betancourt, RHP; Franklin Morales LHP
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

Ellsbury LHH CF
    Pedroia RHH 2B
    Youk RHH DH
    Adrian LHH 1B
    A. Ramirez RHH 3B
    Crawford LLH LF
    Cuddyer RHH RF
    Lavarnway/Salty RHH/SWH C
    Scutaro/Aviles RHH SS

Starters:
    Beckett
    Lester
    Buccholz
    Buerhrle
    Wang
    Aceves

Relievers:

Bard
    Pap
    Aceves
    Madson
    Weiland
    Jenks
    Morales
    Miller

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

craze, you really want Miller back at $3M (his option) over Wake at a probable $1M plus incentives?

Miller's no rookie. Yes, he has upside, but come on!
    Miller already has 66 MLB games started and bout 360 IP.
    Miller's career ERA?  5.79.
    Miller's 2011 ERA?  5.54.
    Miller's career WHIP? 1.750.
    Miller's 2011 WHIP?  1.815.
    Miller's career BB/9? 5.4.
    Miller's 2010? 7.2. 2011? 5.7.
    He's not gaining control. He's been with 3 different teams all working with him to gain control. He's getting worse in that area, not better. 
    $3M is a lot. Colon and Garcia got $1M each.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

The only player I really want is David Wright.  I have no idea how to get him but I want him playing 3B.  It wont happen so I will be realistic.

Jacoby/Crawford/Pedroia/AGon/Youk/Cuddyer/Aviles/Salty/Scutaro
    Beckett/Lester/Clay/Lackey/Bard
    I think Papelbon leaves town as well.  I think we end up with some scrub retread as a closer.   Bullpen is a crap shoot anyway.

Crawford has no identity at the moment.  I dont care what happens but we need him to be Crawford.  It would have completely changed our season.  Keep him in the spot he knows.  And pray he turns it around. 

I seriously think Papi is gone.  And I am saying the Jays.  He would be a fan favorite there and they need some sorta identity and would be a good combo with all their young players.  The Jays are gonna be legit soon. 

I think they attempt to clean house but decide against it and take the picks from Papi and Paps.
    Papi- Jays for 3 yrs and 30 million
    Paps- Philly on a 3 yr 42 million deal.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Putting together the 2012 Red Sox Roster: Let's help Ben Cherington!:
    [QUOTE]craze, you really want Miller back at $3M (his option) over Wake at a probable $1M plus incentives? Miller's no rookie. Yes, he has upside, but come on! Miller already has 66 MLB games started and bout 360 IP. Miller's career ERA?  5.79. Miller's 2011 ERA?  5.54. Miller's career WHIP? 1.750. Miller's 2011 WHIP?  1.815. Miller's career BB/9? 5.4. Miller's 2010? 7.2. 2011? 5.7. He's not gaining control. He's been with 3 different teams all working with him to gain control. He's getting worse in that area, not better.  $3M is a lot. Colon and Garcia got $1M each.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily moon, Wake is still a tough call for me because there are better options like Wang and Aceves.  Miller/Wake/young with upside/old not sure if there is a clear winner except salary as you mentioned but either way either would be my choice at #7, not 6.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

My question is, what could you get for a combination of Reddick, Youk and Lackey? A starter or a power bat in the OF would be huge additions that could make it worthwhile. At this point, Kalish and Reddick are both starter quality, but have too much of the same skill set...one needs to be a trading chip and the other the 4th outfielder. Lackey could still be good, but he won't be able to do anything in Boston. A trade for another bad contract could work out for both sides. And it seems Youk is the guy who still can bring back solid value who might be the odd man out. 

I'd love to see that trio, plus whatever is in the minor league system for Felix, and have Henry pull out the checkbook again. 

In a fantasy land how nice would it be to bring in Pujols and LaRussa as a combo? 

In an even bigger fantasy land Have Pujols play 3rd and sign fielder to DH. Then rollins or reyes for SS. Obviously never gonna happen, and Pujolss probably can't play 3rd anymore anyway, but imagine the power there. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

No Lackey. No big Papi. No Wake. No V-tek.

No Youk if he can't remain healthy and team oriented. He must be considered as a trade option. As should Beckett. Sorry, he is ripe for the trade block and his value will never be any higher than it currently is. And perhaps putting him together with Lackey may just get a team to bite.

No Pujols or Fielder. Especially Fielder. With his body type he won't last.

The whole point to cleaning house is to get back to Red Sox baseball ways. NOT to continue on down Yankee Way by buying more large name athletes and contracts. It just does not work for the SOX.

The Sox need to get back to believing in the blue collar hustle players. The grit and heart need to come back. The humor. Not more dollar signs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In Response to Re: Putting together the 2012 Red Sox Roster: Let's help Ben Cherington!:
    [QUOTE]craze, you really want Miller back at $3M (his option) over Wake at a probable $1M plus incentives? Miller's no rookie. Yes, he has upside, but come on! Miller already has 66 MLB games started and bout 360 IP. Miller's career ERA?  5.79. Miller's 2011 ERA?  5.54. Miller's career WHIP? 1.750. Miller's 2011 WHIP?  1.815. Miller's career BB/9? 5.4. Miller's 2010? 7.2. 2011? 5.7. He's not gaining control. He's been with 3 different teams all working with him to gain control. He's getting worse in that area, not better.  $3M is a lot. Colon and Garcia got $1M each.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

both have no place startimg moon but Miller can middle relieve and requires no special catcher or wheelchair dugout ramp/oxygen mask/Americans with Disabilities Act provisions 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Brad hawpe isnt coming to boston since he is a lefty.  Boston need a right hiiting RF or back up OF.  

Then you are moving two bullpen to become a starter, Bard and Aceves.  It is not going to happen.  These two will not pitch more than 4 to 5 innings in their first 10 starts, and then work way up.  

Lowrie or Aviles (I prefer Aviles) is going to be trade.  Lowrie have been injure proned player for two years a row.  More likely he will be part of a trade bait with maybe Youkilis with the future Cubs's prospect or prospects!

Like I said it before, Boston isnt getting both Papelbon and Bell at the same time.  Both will demand big fat contract.  So only one will come and other will move on!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

[QUOTE]My question is, what could you get for a combination of Reddick, Youk and Lackey? 
    Posted by jgallag1[/QUOTE]
    you'd get less than nothing for those 3...reddick is a utility 4th outfielder at best,youk is an expensive salary dump and lackey and his contract is the sox problem till eternity.Talking in the same setence about felix and these 3 is just plain silly even if you threw in the entire sox farm system.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

Ive said this before on different posts:

Lavarnway will see duties at catching, DH, and 1B emergenies in 2012 and will break camp with the team.

Kalish will need to have a strong spring to show he is healthy, but I still see him starting the year at AAA.  A veteran will be brought in to share time with Reddick.  Unless Reddick is dealt  I would say Kalish will split time.

I like Morales, Acevas, Bard, and Pap to anchor the pen.  I think Weiland should be converted to a long man, he is clearly not ready to start for this team.

I dont want to see Andrew Miller in the rotation unless an injury happens. Wake should retire and allow the team to not be handcuffed by his starts.

Tek should retire as well.  Its been a great ride, but Lavarnway is the future and needs time behind the plate and at bats vs Lefties.

Ortiz should be resigned, you cannot let him go to a rival team. A three year deal would make sense. Bring in positive leaders on both the pitching staff and with an everyday player.

Trade Igesias, Scutaro/Lowrie and Avilas can handle the SS postion until Boegarts is ready, he has a higher ceiling and more potential with the bat then Iglesias. Same goes for Lars Anderson, if you can get a RP with a good track record you take it and fill a hole.

Give Dubront a shot at either the fifth spot or long man.  He is ready and has better stuff than Weiland.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

[QUOTE]Ive said this before on different posts: Lavarnway will see duties at catching, DH, and 1B emergenies in 2012 and will break camp with the team. Kalish will need to have a strong spring to show he is healthy, but I still see him starting the year at AAA.  A veteran will be brought in to share time with Reddick.  Unless Reddick is dealt  I would say Kalish will split time. I like Morales, Acevas, Bard, and Pap to anchor the pen.  I think Weiland should be converted to a long man, he is clearly not ready to start for this team. I dont want to see Andrew Miller in the rotation unless an injury happens. Wake should retire and allow the team to not be handcuffed by his starts. Tek should retire as well.  Its been a great ride, but Lavarnway is the future and needs time behind the plate and at bats vs Lefties. Ortiz should be resigned, you cannot let him go to a rival team. A three year deal would make sense. Bring in positive leaders on both the pitching staff and with an everyday player. Trade Igesias, Scutaro/Lowrie and Avilas can handle the SS postion until Boegarts is ready, he has a higher ceiling and more potential with the bat then Iglesias. Same goes for Lars Anderson, if you can get a RP with a good track record you take it and fill a hole. Give Dubront a shot at either the fifth spot or long man.  He is ready and has better stuff than Weiland.
    Posted by jb12bb[/QUOTE]

Sorry, Ortiz does not need to be resigned for 3 yrs. He is 36. He can't run. He can't field. He was no leader during the Sept. swoon. He complains way too much at the plate and in the clubhouse. And he never hustles down to first.

Again, I appreciate all he has done in the PAST, and all his heroics. But I think they have left. Albeit his numbers were nice this yr., but there were not many game changers in those numbers. He gets paid now way too much just to have 4/5 at bats. Offer him a year at bare min. Sorry, the Sox can do more at the DH position.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]No Lackey. No big Papi. No Wake. No V-tek. No Youk if he can't remain healthy and team oriented. He must be considered as a trade option. As should Beckett. Sorry, he is ripe for the trade block and his value will never be any higher than it currently is. And perhaps putting him together with Lackey may just get a team to bite. No Pujols or Fielder. Especially Fielder. With his body type he won't last. The whole point to cleaning house is to get back to Red Sox baseball ways. NOT to continue on down Yankee Way by buying more large name athletes and contracts. It just does not work for the SOX. The Sox need to get back to believing in the blue collar hustle players. The grit and heart need to come back. The humor. Not more dollar signs.
    Posted by antiqueman1[/QUOTE]

Kind of harsh on Youk, aren't you? He played until the pain of doing so was unbearable. He was in the dugout lending moral support throughout September. He had a minor disagreement in 2010 on the Ellsbury rehabbing in Arizona issue. No big deal. This year he shared a locker right next to Ellsbury and they got along fine with each other.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

[QUOTE] I seriously think Papi is gone.  And I am saying the Jays.  He would be a fan favorite there and they need some sorta identity and would be a good combo with all their young players.  The Jays are gonna be legit soon.  I think they attempt to clean house but decide against it and take the picks from Papi and Paps. Papi- Jays for 3 yrs and 30 million Paps- Philly on a 3 yr 42 million deal.
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE] i doubt the jays have an iota of interest in ortiz....they have encarnation who is a power bat capable of filling in at 3rd or 1st base with a salary less than half of what ortiz wants.I doubt they would offer ortiz 1 year at half the salary he wants nevermind a multi-year contract

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

If Yu Darvish is posted, I would have want him to be the number one target. I know Daisuke hasn't panned out as expected, but he is the right choice for a number of reasons.

1) You don't have to give up prospects for him. Just cash. And Fenway Sports Group has plenty.

2) He's just 25 years old and would be under control through the prime of his career.

3) The posting fee does not count against the CBT and his contract would likely be reasonable.

4) He is the anti-Daisuke. Almost a full run lower ERA, less innings pitched, way less walks, and keeps the ball in the yard.

5) He is tall and lean, possesses a pitcher's build.

Career statistics

Nippon Professional Baseball
    YearAgeTeamWLW%GSCGSHOIPHRERHRBBKERAWHIPERA+
    200518Nippon Ham55.500142194.1973737748523.531.544.06
    Career7532.70113645121036.1760268244532979742.121.02 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

2011 Stats

18-6
    232 IP
    156 Hits
    36 BB
    276 K
    1.44 ERA
    5 HR's allowed

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Scouting Report: Yu Darvish

The batters of the world should start getting ready for Yu Darvish.

A once in a generation, iconic ace pitcher, currently with the Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters (yes, that is the real team name) in the Japanese Professional Baseball League.

At 24-years old, the half-Iranian, half-Japanese hurler, has the stamina and make up to be a dominating ace in any league he chooses.

He spent the entire 2010 off season putting on muscle and body mass that will make him a wildly sought after asset, in his bid to challenge in the Major Leagues.

Of course, we’ve seen a steady stream of Japanese pitchers since the phenomenon that was Hideo Nomo.

Darvish’s most contemporary Japanese comparison has been Boston Red Sox starter, Dice-K. The comparisons between the two pitchers should stop after ‘country of origin.’ Dice-K’s tumultuous major league career is not an indication of the kind of potential Yu Darvish possesses. Major League teams knew exactly how good Dice-K could be. His talent was not on the rise when he made the jump to the major leagues. He was a legend in Japan during high school, and had a solid professional career. By the time he switched to the majors, he was a crafty veteran, with a well documented scouting report.

Darvish’s talent is not a known quantity. His game, and body continues to evolve. He possesses a dominating mid 90’s fastball, but he is not a fastball pitcher. He has a well polished arsenal of breaking pitches. From his curveball, to his sinker, to his slider. They are all at an elite level, and should all be considered strikeout pitches.

His slider is tightly wound, with an explosive late break, enough to make batters swing and miss, not merely mis-hit. His curveball has a sharp, downward breaking action, that disappears from the strike zone, and frankly makes professional batters often look like junior high batters only seeing a curveball for the first time. 

Darvish also has an exploding sinker, also with movement surprising enough to make most batters whiff when it’s on.

Darvish has become more of a presence on the mound in the past year, but with his 6 foot 5 inch frame, could learn to be even more imposing. He will be a tall, intimidating pitcher even in the majors.

He is a fiery competitor, which makes him stand out in the more even-keel atmosphere of Japanese professional sports. He often screams after strikeouts (which happen often) and gives Tiger Woods-esque fist pumps after recording crucial outs.

His personal training is already legendary. He’s got the physical gifts to be a dominating world-class pitcher, and also a fierce passion to chase his own perfection. He added 25 pounds of muscle in the off-season, no doubt in preparation for his upcoming invasion of the majors.

When Darvish is on the mound, he comes across as a pitcher on a mission. Which is more than can be said for the mound presence of Dice-K, who seems rather content and focused on the game at hand. With Darvish, you get the feeling that he is playing for a legacy. That he is not merely mowing down opposing batters, but that he is facing off against the hand of destiny in every at bat. It makes for spectacular baseball theater. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

I realize that these numbers won't translate to MLB, but I would rather have him (assuming Dice-K's price tag -- approx 50 Mil post/6Yr-50 Mil Contract) than Edwin Jackson or Buehrle or Bedard or Harden et al. 

I believe he speaks English, too.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Looks like he is worth a shot. I'm not sure Buehrle is the guy and CJ will be way too costly.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from beezer. Show beezer's posts

crawford-pedroia-ells-youk-gonzo-cuddy-lav-salty-scut   swap  craw @ scut against lefties  30-30  guys don't bat leadoff in this line-up   aviles-reddick-lowrie-subs pick-up back-up catch.   beck-les-buch-bard-?  rotation.  pen  bell-jenks-doub.-aceves-morales-bowden-albers-weiland-atch. take your pick

Sections
Shortcuts