Putting together the 2012 Red Sox Roster: Let's help Ben Cherington!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Putting together the 2012 Red Sox Roster: Let's help Ben Cherington!

A couple of times in 2010 the team went with 2-3 IP from an assortment of relievers (lower depth) and it worked. That was the option I was for at the time.

Maybe for 1 key game, but not 5. Our pen was taxed enough already, and it showed at the end.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Putting together the 2012 Red Sox Roster: Let's help Ben Cherington!:
    I say enough negativity. Past is past. Let's start dreaming of the 2012 Championship Boston Red Sox. I remember the '67 Red Sox mixing veterans and rookies in their lineup. I say let a couple of our rookies start. Please give Ben your suggestions. Our 2012 Red Sox Starting Lineup (9): 1. Jacoby Ellsbury, CF 2. Carl Crawford, LF 3. Dustin Pedroia, 2B 4. Adrian Gonzalez, 1B 5. Will Middlebrooks 3B 6. David Ortiz, DH 7. Ryan Kalish RF 8. Jarrod Saltalamacchia, C 9. Marco Scutaro, SS Bench (5): Jed Lowrie, Utility; Mike Aviles, Utility; Josh Reddick, OF; Ryan Lavarnway, C; Brad Hawpe, OF/1B Starting Rotation (5): Josh Beckett, RHP; Jon Lester, LHP; Clay Buchholz, RHP; Daniel Bard RHP; Alfredo Aceves, RHP Bullpen (6): Jonathan Papelbon, RHP; Felix Doubront LHP; Bobby Jenks, RHP; Heath Bell, RHP; Rafael Betancourt, RHP; Franklin Morales LHP
    Posted by 2004Idiots

Ellsbury CF
    Pede 2B
    Youk/Aviles 3B
    Adrian 1B
    Papi DH
    Cuddyer RF
    Crawford LF
    Lav and Salty or Tek C
    Scuter.Aviles SS

Starters: Beckett, Lester, Buchholz, Buehrle or CJ, Wang, Aceves, Jackson?
    Pen: Madsen, Morales, Bard, Weiland, Jenks, Atchison, Albers, Miller?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ddimaria. Show ddimaria's posts

Would any of your sign Drew back for a contract that better suits his skill set?  Ignore the fact that Epstein signed him for WAY more than he was worth, if he was to take a pay cut, would you consider keeping him?  I would think about it?

I would also move Aceves to a spot in our starting rotation.  The guy is something like 25-3 in the majors... give the guy a shot at a starting position and it will lessen our requirements to a single NEW starter aquisition rather than two. 

Starting rotation something like this:  Beckett, Lester, Buch(hopefully healthy), Aceves & <insert starter here />. 

From past experience, isn't it much easier to find help in the bullpen than it is for a starter, especially in this scarce starter FA market....

Please keep in mind, I am not normally that into the armchair GM thing but I thought I would weigh in. 

-Dennis

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: Putting together the 2012 Red Sox Roster: Let's help Ben Cherington!:
    In Response to Re: Putting together the 2012 Red Sox Roster: Let's help Ben Cherington! : I agree that Weiland was brought up before he was ready. He still could turn out OK, but I wouldn't count on it. I wouldn't read too much into the 1st inning OPS. It's a small sample size.
    Posted by moonslav59

Before he was ready?  The guy is already 25.

Hopefully Weiland can make it as a reliever.  He was very unimpressive as a starter...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: Putting together the 2012 Red Sox Roster: Let's help Ben Cherington!:
    We can count on Timmy T-Ball not turning out alright, for any idiot stupid enough to offer him a MLB contract roster spot. 
    Posted by hankwilliams

You know, legend has  if that if you post the name Timmy T-Ball three times, he magically appears with a new contract.

Timmy T-Ball
    Timmy T-Ball
    Timmy T-Ba... 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

OK I'll go with my best guess.

Ellsbury CF
    Crawford LF
    Pedroia 2B
    Gonzalez 1B
    Youkilis 3B/DH
    Cuddyer DH/3B
    Saltalamacchia C
    Reddick/Ross RF
    Scutaro SS

Beckett/Lester/Buchholz/Aceves/Maholm? Carmona? Saunders?

Bullpen:  Bard, Jenks, Morales, Albers, Doubront, Bowden, Capps? Rauch?

Bench: Lavarnway, Aviles, Lowrie...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

First, Middlebrook is not ready to be the starting 3B out of Ft. Myers. He is only hitting like .220 in the Fall Lague in AFL. An honest approach to fixing Sox starts with working backwards. Sox must define who the closer will be first. If Pap walks and Bard needs to slide to closer than Aceves needs to slide to set-up. So the first item of business is get that established closer and define the pen roles. The second item is putting together at least 8 guys to compete for the starting rotation. 2 of these could be the Andrew Miller types and it pains me to say I would really like Wake to not be one of these. I would like to see Sox go after younger pitchers who have proven to be durable and that will be respectable about what they want to sign for. Guys like Edwin Jackson jumps out at me for an example. The next item is filling the holes in the offense. First the Sox need a presence bat from the right side of the plate. The offense free agent that jumps out at me would be Carlos Beltran. Setting up a run like Youk,Gonzo,Ortiz,and Beltran would make for a dynamic offense again.

My roster for 2012:
    1B Gonzalez
    2b Pedroia
    SS Scutaro
    3B Youk ( Although I could see the Sox looking into getting David Wright)
    LF Crawford
    CF Elsbury
    RF Beltran
    DH Ortiz
    C Salty

Bench:
    Aviles, Kalish, Reddick, Lavarn, cheap Free agent Util guy

Starters
    Jon,Josh,Clay,Aceves,Edwin Jackson

Pen
    Papelbon, Bard, Broxton, Albers, Wheeler,Tazawa,

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from walterjohnson07. Show walterjohnson07's posts

Please, no more Drew. Don't even think about it. I like the idea of Cuddyer if we can get him. Beltran might be more costly and he's been injury-prone. Wang is an interesting possibility. I watched him pitch here in D.C. and his stuff was OK, but I'm not sure he's quite ready for the AL East. I think the Nationals re-sign him or the Mets. And no Wake or Varitek. It's over. If they're so sure they're valuable, let the free agent market dictate that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-Bay-Fan. Show J-Bay-Fan's posts

In Response to Putting together the 2012 Red Sox Roster: Let's help Ben Cherington!:
    I say enough negativity. Past is past. Let's start dreaming of the 2012 Championship Boston Red Sox. I remember the '67 Red Sox mixing veterans and rookies in their lineup. I say let a couple of our rookies start. Please give Ben your suggestions. Our 2012 Red Sox Starting Lineup (9): 1. Jacoby Ellsbury, CF 2. Carl Crawford, LF 3. Dustin Pedroia, 2B 4. Adrian Gonzalez, 1B 5. Will Middlebrooks 3B 6. David Ortiz, DH 7. Ryan Kalish RF 8. Jarrod Saltalamacchia, C 9. Marco Scutaro, SS Bench (5): Jed Lowrie, Utility; Mike Aviles, Utility; Josh Reddick, OF; Ryan Lavarnway, C; Brad Hawpe, OF/1B Starting Rotation (5): Josh Beckett, RHP; Jon Lester, LHP; Clay Buchholz, RHP; Daniel Bard RHP; Alfredo Aceves, RHP Bullpen (6): Jonathan Papelbon, RHP; Felix Doubront LHP; Bobby Jenks, RHP; Heath Bell, RHP; Rafael Betancourt, RHP; Franklin Morales LHP
    Posted by 2004Idiots

TOTALLY AGREE WITH U!
    MIDDLEBROOKS AT 3B AND TRADE YOUKILIS AND PROSPECT FOR A BIG STARTING PITCHER! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-Bay-Fan. Show J-Bay-Fan's posts

- JACOBY ELLSBURY CF
    - CARL CRAWFORD LF
    - DUSTIN PEDROIA 2B
    - ADRIAN GONZALEZ 1B
    - WILL MIDDLEBROOKS 3B
    - DAVID ORTIZ DH
    - RYAN LAVARNWAY C
    - JOSH REDDICK RF
    - JOSE IGLESIAS SS

MY HOPE'S :

- JACOBY ELLSBURY CF       L
    - CARL CRAWFORD LF         L
    - DUSTIN PEDROIA 2B         R
    - ADRIAN GONZALEZ 1B       L
    - WILL MIDDLEBROOKS 3B    R
    - PRINCE FIELDER DH           L   [YES, To protect Will and get better pitch's]
    - RYAN LAVARNWAY C         R 
    - JOSH REDDICK RF             L
    - JOSE IGLESIAS                R

- JON LESTER
    - JOSH BECKETT
    - A BIG STARTING PITCHER COMING FOR YOUKILIS + PROSPECT
    - BUCHHOLZ
    - ACEVES

- BARD
    - BROXTON
    - WHEELER
    - RICH HILL
    - FRANKLIN MORALES
    - OTHER 

BENCH 
    - LOWRIE 
    - AVILES
    - SALTALAMACCHIA
    - MCDONALD
    - CONNOR JACKSON/JERRY HAIRSTON/JOEY GATHRIGHT

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

There have been some great suggestions for our team and at least everyone is respectful of the opinions expressed.  I also like the fact that very very few of you added Varitek and Wakefield to the mix.  That is the one thing I am hard core on; they both have had their day in the sun and it is time to cut bait with both of them.  Someone mentioned Cuddyer as a third baseman; I don't think he plays there does he?  He would be the RH hitting RF we need.  Frankly, I wish we could resign Papelbon but I don't think we will pay him the kind of money he wants, but  by the same token we shouldn't go penny wise with him and dollar foolish with Papi.  One year contract offer PERIOD--take it or leave it.

I just think it is time for the Pedroias, Youkilises, Ellsburys and other young veterans to take over leadership of the team and you can't do that with the old guard around.  As for pitchers, we need Beckett, Lester and a healthy Buchholz pitching up to par---all three of them and we must trade for a good No. 4 man unless we want to pay through the nose in the FA market.  As for the lineup, let's try and give Crawford a comfort zone.  Let him hit second where he belongs and where he has done his best work.

Ellsbury, Crawford, Gonzales, Pedroia, Youkilis, Cuddyer, Lavarnway, Scutaro and Satalamacchia.  Starters---Beckett, Lester, Buchholz, a trade for a No. 4 and a fifth not named Wakefield.  Aceves and Bard in the bullpen along with Wheeler.  That means we need one or two starters, a closer if we do not sign Papelbon and good health and some luck for a change.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

I also like the fact that very very few of you added Varitek and Wakefield to the mix. That is the one thing I am hard core on; they both have had their day in the sun and it is time to cut bait with both of them.

Well said Fred, but a few fools cant believe you wouldn't want to pay Wastefield and Varitek millions to drink beer and tell old stories and sink it up on the field. AARP time for these 2 contract begging parasites.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan28. Show redsoxfan28's posts

Manager: Bobby Valentine

Lineup:

Jacoby Ellsbury
    Carl Crawford
    Dustin Pedroia
    David Ortiz
    Kevin Youkilis
    Carlos Beltran
    Jarrod Saltalamacchia
    Marco Scutaro

Bench:

Josh Reddick
    Mike Aviles
    Jed Lowrie
    Jose Molina

Starting Rotation:

Jon Lester
    Josh Beckett
    Clay Buchholz
    CJ Wilson
    Alfredo Aceves

Bullpen:

Matt Albers
    Luis Avayla
    Bobby Jenks
    Jonathan Broxton
    Daniel Bard
    Heath Bell

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

alright so here is my best guess at what the 2012 red sox will look like: 

ellsbury
    pedroia
    gonzalez
    youk
    ethier
    ortiz
    crawford
    satly/lavarnway
    scutaro

bench: satly/larvarnway, lowrie, reddick, hairston jr. (was gunna put kelly johnson but not sure he would accept a bench role)

lester
    beckett
    gonzalez (gio)
    buchholz
    darvish

bell
    bard
    broxton
    jenks
    aceves
    hill
    doubront