Quality starts Red Sox starters....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

Quality starts Red Sox starters....

Clay B.    82 percent

Lackey.    67 percent

Doubrant.  56 percent

Lester.       54 percent

Dempster.   50 percent

Small sample so far, but telling never the less. If it continues, who do we up grade. ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Quality starts Red Sox starters....

I think they are all pitching right on for their respective slots. I think Lester could improve on the ERA slightly, but besides Buch, the other 3 have been pitching a lot better as of late. Right now, I wouldnt change anything. We'll see where we are at in another 2 months.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

As of today our SP ranks #2 in ERA in the AL; our bullpen is ninth however. The pen was supposed to be a strength for us. That has to get better.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

As of today our SP ranks #2 in ERA in the AL; our bullpen is ninth however. The pen was supposed to be a strength for us. That has to get better.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

I agree with this. The pen hasnt lived up to expectations. They have done good, but I would think as of right now that they would look for more pen help that rotation help.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

I think the numbers say one thing ... top notch starting pitching as a whole.

Lester has his moments when he's human but most of the rest of the time, he is a force.

Clay - the numbers need no analyzing, just enjoying.

Lackey - finally, the guy they knew he could be.

Dempster - streaky but still capable on any start to be high end entertainment, unless you are his opponent,

Doubie - better than avg. and improving - Farrell and Nieves chisleing away to get to the stuff that looks like the high end arm he can be

The BP has been hurt and can come back

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Quality starts is a nice stat, but I'd like to adjust it to something like this:

5 IP and 2 or less earned runs.

6 IP and 3 or less ERs.

7.2 IP and 4 or less ERs.

9 IP and 5 or less ERs.

Sox4ever

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Quality starts is a nice stat, but I'd like to adjust it to something like this:

6 IP and 3 or less ERs.

9 IP and 5 or less ERs.

Sox4ever

Another QS by our 5th starter moon. The guy you keep trying to upgrade and trade ( who is making only 500k) . You need to give it a rest. Maybe we should try to upgrade our 2 and 4 guys instead who are behind him in "keeping his team" in the game! And are making 25m between thing. Nothing wrong with our 5 guy Moon, and I still stand by my prediction ( when Lester was pitching well his first 3 starts) that Doubrant will be our 3 guy at the end of the yr and pitch a postseason game if we get there. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Potomac87's comment:

Bullpen has given up 75 earned runs.

Wright             5

Aceves            5

Wilson             5

Hanrahan        8

Mortensen       17

That's 40 of the 75 and 23 by players not  playing. The regular staff isn't doing that bad.

There will always be moving pieces in the bullpen every year. As a whole they need to be better.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to makonikyman's comment:

[QUOTE]

6 IP and 3 or less ERs.

9 IP and 5 or less ERs.

Sox4ever

Another QS by our 5th starter moon. The guy you keep trying to upgrade and trade ( who is making only 500k) . You need to give it a rest. Maybe we should try to upgrade our 2 and 4 guys instead who are behind him in "keeping his team" in the game! And are making 25m between thing. Nothing wrong with our 5 guy Moon, and I still stand by my prediction ( when Lester was pitching well his first 3 starts) that Doubrant will be our 3 guy at the end of the yr and pitch a postseason game if we get there. 

[/QUOTE]

Doubie has been doing great for a 4-5 guy. Last 4 starts have been 6IP and a 2.5-3 ERA. Ill take that all day from my BOTR guys.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

These guys don't protect the plate very well. Lot of called 3rd strikes for the Sox.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

6 IP and 3 or less ERs.

9 IP and 5 or less ERs.

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

Doubie has been doing great for a 4-5 guy. Last 4 starts have been 6IP and a 2.5-3 ERA. Ill take that all day from my BOTR guys.

[/QUOTE]

In 9 of Doubrants 10 starts he has given up 3 runs or less. His first 2 starts of the season he only went 5 inn. Due to the cold and not being stretched out yet.( he gave up 2 and 3 runs in those outings) He's had 1 stinker start where he went 3.2 and gave up 6 runs, his other stinker was in relief when he came in for Webster and went 5.1 and gave up 6 runs also. Other than that...he's pitched more like a SOLID 3 than an ok 5 who we should look to trade right away. One could certainly make the argument that he has been more consistantent than both Lester and Dempster this yr...

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to GowdyFan's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to Potomac87's comment:

Bullpen has given up 75 earned runs.

Wright             5

Aceves            5

Wilson             5

Hanrahan        8

Mortensen       17

That's 40 of the 75 and 23 by players not  playing. The regular staff isn't doing that bad.

There will always be moving pieces in the bullpen every year. As a whole they need to be better.

As a whole you are right but then the "whole" has some on the DL and in Pawtucket and elsewhere. I tried to refine it by defining the present bullpen instead of the "whole". The present bullpen excluding Morales today and Mortensen are doing their job.

I dont think we disagree, but when it comes to the BP, you have to have a lot of depth because of the nature of the reliever. Its tough to manage a bullpen sometimes. I realize that.

Although I really like Koji, he needs to mix up his 1st pitch when he comes in because some hitters are on to him just throwing the 88MPH FB right down the middle to get ahead quickly. Hes had a few balls leave the yard because of it. I would have him toss some offspeed stuff sometimes, just to keep them guessing.

The Bailey/Hanny injuries were a tough one to overcome. Taz isnt a closer. So I understand, but going forward they need to do better. today was awful and the loss lies mostly on the BP's shoulders today.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

6 IP and 3 or less ERs.

9 IP and 5 or less ERs.

Sox4ever

I need to give it a rest? 

Most of the time I mention Doubront is in response to you goading me after Doubront does OK.

If you think it's impossible to upgrade Doubront, then it is you that needs the rest.

4 straight starts with 2 or less ERs is a nice stretch before today. I am happy Felix seems to be turning it around a bit, and maybe that will help increase his trade value as well. I will point out, however, that he does have 13 BBs in the 23 IP those last 4 games. The 19 hits allowed is very nice, but the WHIP is still 32 in 23 which is about 1.39. Better, but still worrisome. Today's 8 H+BB in 6 IP did not improve the 1.39 number very much.

Let's talk in August or September, when everyone here will be wishing we had another solid SP to carry us through crunch time.

Doubront has a ton of talent. I have never said otherwise. He can certainly prove me wrong, and I hope he does. Some pitchers with motivational issues have gone on to become very good pitchers. I just wouldn't bet on it. I look at our team and try and see what are the weakest areas that need improvement, and I see SP and Big RH'd bat. I'm not saying we can't win without addressing at least one of these weak spots, but we'd certainly have a better chance by doing so.

We should know more by the trading deadline, so if you want me to "give it a rest", then stop bringing it up everytime Doubie gets a guy out.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sox4everLast 5 starts:

29 IP

25 Hits

15 BB

10 ER

3.10 ERA

1.38 WHIP

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Bailey/Hanny injuries were a tough one to overcome. Taz isnt a closer. So I understand, but going forward they need to do better. today was awful and the loss lies mostly on the BP's shoulders today.

It was a team loss, but I get your point.

The pen has also carried us to many a win this year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In 9 of Doubrants 10 starts he has given up 3 runs or less.

He's given up 6 runs in 2 of his first 10 starts.

Sox4ever

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In 9 of Doubrants 10 starts he has given up 3 runs or less.

He's given up 6 runs in 2 of his first 10 starts.

Sox4ever

The facts are ...in case you don't know them, is that he has given up 3 or  fewer runs in 9...count them moon, NINE...out his TEN starts. Keeping his team and giving his team a chance to win in NINETY PERCENT...of his starts. As a 5th starter. Making 500k a year. And you....being the armchair GM that you think you are want to trade him because you read a report from someone in spring training 2 yrs ago that he came to camp OUT OF SHAPE... I dont know Doubrant from a hole in the wall, but I have read you numerous times ( at least 20 since last fall) ridicule him for whatever reasons you have, and throw up his whip, and being out of shape, and who really cares if his H+BB didn't improve..? The bottom line is he's our 5th starter these last 2 yrs who's done a very solid job. He was not our teams problem last year, and so far this year he hasn't been either. He doesn't need me to defend himself against the likes of low life's like you, he's doing a pretty good job of that himself...get a life 

And no...he hasn't given up 6 runs in 2 of his 10 starts, he did one time, the other was in relief of Webster after he blew up....get your facts straight...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

My on going belief is put the best 12 position players on the 25 and the best 13 pitchers and that's all you can do.

Mort is not one of the best 13 pitchers on the 40 man roster--Aceves or Rubby would qualify as two better choices IMHO.

This year I do not believe Ciriaco is the best choice for SuperSub---Holt appears to be coming on very strong at AAA, I think he should be given a shot. He has had MLB experience with the Pirates.

Something will have to happen when WMB comes off the DL--I think Pedro will be moved and for the time being Iggy will become the super  sub but play everyday in the infield until Drew is traded. 

It would not surprise me if, while we are having our breakfast, BenC and JF are making some decisions about roster moves that will be made after todays game re. Mort and WMB.

Sections
Shortcuts