Quentin?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Quentin?

I see the Padres picked up Carlos Quentin for two minor league pitchers. Since the price was so seemingly low, and the Sox showed interest in him last year at the deadline, interesting that they didn't move on him now. My brother likes the White Sox, and has been crestfallen over the fire sale that's going on. Not sure what Kenny Williams is up to. I'd have liked to see Quentin in Boston, but I suspect Ben didn't want his contract.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Quentin?

We have 6.5 million left in the budget and we still do not have a complete pitching staff.

Quentin is not good defensively.

They just got Sweeney....they have Kalish waiting and plan on giving Aviles a chance plus MacDonald is still on the roster.

I know you will call me bile or claim I took this post to a place where it doesn't belong but IMO Quentin would make zero-sense for the Sox at this point in time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Wowie, Golly Gee - Bad News Bears - Timmy Lupus - a bad right fielder in a 1976 old movie 35 years ago. Wowie, Golly Gee. Comparing Crawford to him is terribly clever according to Andrewmitch. I'll bet that your Yo-Yo is right next to your computer. Funny, clever Andrew.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Quentin?:
    [QUOTE]We have 6.5 million left in the budget and we still do not have a complete pitching staff. Quentin is not good defensively. They just got Sweeney....they have Kalish waiting and plan on giving Aviles a chance plus MacDonald is still on the roster. I know you will call me bile or claim I took this post to a place where it doesn't belong but IMO Quentin would make zero-sense for the Sox at this point in time.
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

Yup, I think the RS are just going to platoon.  If we were going to upgrade the righty bat, I think we'd have gone with Jones.  Quentin is not uninteresting, but the upgrade from DMac/Sweeney to Quentin doesn't look like as much as the upgrade from say Wake or Miller to someone like Oswalt.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

I never called Andrewmitch bile. I've called him headstrong, a troll, a spoiled fan, but I never called him bile.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Carlos Quentin would have cost pitching.
    He swings a lefty bat and missed (75 games) in 2010/2011 while Kevin Youkilis missed 102 games. I'd wager each will miss 40-50 this year and although Carlos is younger, why spend so much on a potential power-hitter who lacks durability.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Yeah, who needs a right handed power hitting RF?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Quentin?": [QUOTE]We have 6.5 million left in the budget and we still do not have a complete pitching staff. Quentin is not good defensively. They just got Sweeney....they have Kalish waiting and plan on giving Aviles a chance plus MacDonald is still on the roster. I know you will call me bile or claim I took this post to a place where it doesn't belong but IMO Quentin would make zero-sense for the Sox at this point in time. Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE] Well, I might not have if you weren't so insecure that you felt like you had to accuse me before I even did it. If you want to accuse yourself to save me the trouble that's your business. An honest assessment I can live with. It's the name calling/pointless hate of players that gets on everyones nerves, and gets old fast. No reason for it man, but to each his own.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Quentin?": [QUOTE]I never called Andrewmitch bile. I've called him headstrong, a troll, a spoiled fan, but I never called him bile. Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE] I think that jab was aimed at me pike.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Quentin?": [QUOTE]Carlos Quentin would have cost pitching. He swings a lefty bat and missed (75 games) in 2010/2011 while Kevin Youkilis missed 102 games. I'd wager each will miss 40-50 this year and although Carlos is younger, why spend so much on a potential power-hitter who lacks durability. Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE] Quentin bats right handed WO.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]Carlos Quentin would have cost pitching. He swings a lefty bat and missed (75 games) in 2010/2011 while Kevin Youkilis missed 102 games. I'd wager each will miss 40-50 this year and although Carlos is younger, why spend so much on a potential power-hitter who lacks durability.
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]
    Quentin is a right handed hitter.  Not that I think he is the answer, but get it right.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

WesternOrogami schooled.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ya i was a proponent of going after quentin at first like many other poster but have since come to change my opinion. Mainly because he sucks at fielding, he would have cost about 7.5 mill this year, and he always gets injured. sweeney will do just fine as long as the sox upgrade the pitching with someone like matt garza. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Let's not confuse hopes with facts. While they are night and day defensively, Sweeney is a .700-.750 OPS offensive player while Quentin if healthy is legit .900-.950 plus. I liked Quentin as DH option if Ortiz did not return, and Ido like Sweeney as a 4th OF used in defensive switches and giving another player a day off. To depend on Sweeney everyday means solid defense, bumping Scurato to the 8 hole and plugging Sweeney in at 9. While the Sox offense will be very good, a back third of Salty, Scutaro and Sweeney will have it's frustrating days. I would like to see V shake up the batting order a bit; CC Pedroia Ellsbury Agon Youk Ortiz Salty Scurato Sweeney

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

quentin would have given up a run or two for every home run he hit.  very poor defender and the padres will find that out quickly.

he may have been a good choice as a DH, and is likely back to the AL (to DH) within two years.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, who needs a right handed power hitting RF?
    Posted by GhostofTito[/QUOTE]

The answer is anyone of course.

However, as you know, you can not build a team in a vacuum and get anyone you want.  For every player you acquire there is an opportunity cost associated with that (ie the lost opportunity of acquiring another player).

It's all about the allocation of finite resources; Quentin does not fit into the puzzle.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]Let's not confuse hopes with facts. While they are night and day defensively, Sweeney is a .700-.750 OPS offensive player while Quentin if healthy is legit .900-.950 plus. I liked Quentin as DH option if Ortiz did not return, and Ido like Sweeney as a 4th OF used in defensive switches and giving another player a day off. To depend on Sweeney everyday means solid defense, bumping Scurato to the 8 hole and plugging Sweeney in at 9. While the Sox offense will be very good, a back third of Salty, Scutaro and Sweeney will have it's frustrating days. I would like to see V shake up the batting order a bit; CC Pedroia Ellsbury Agon Youk Ortiz Salty Scurato Sweeney
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

Yup, that would certainly shake things up.  Bobby V putting the guy with the worst On Base Percentage on his roster in the spot in the order where OBP is the name of the game. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]We have 6.5 million left in the budget and we still do not have a complete pitching staff. Quentin is not good defensively. They just got Sweeney....they have Kalish waiting and plan on giving Aviles a chance plus MacDonald is still on the roster. I know you will call me bile or claim I took this post to a place where it doesn't belong but IMO Quentin would make zero-sense for the Sox at this point in time.

Andrew,
       I agree with you completely.  I was wowed by Quentin's power a few season's ago, but he has been plagued by injury since.  His questionable defense and larger contract all add up to three strikes.
      It's been said that the Sox were interested in Sweeney last season ...unless I am mixing him in with Bailey.  Memory is faulty here. 
      The RF spot is covered, I think.  Not by some dazzling move, but a solid one that will help our bullpen considerably as well.
       Sweeney sypposedly has some raw power.  If he can get the same help that Ellsbury got from Madagan, watch out!!!  If ...

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Would the Red Sox have been willing to trade Anthony Ranaudo and another pitching prospect for one year of Carlos Quentin?

Simon Castro, one of the San Diego pitching prospects traded for Quentin, ranked 57th in 2010 and 58th in 2011 in Baseball America's preseason Top 100 prospect lists. As a point of reference, Ranaudo, who is 17 months younger than Castro, ranked 67th in 2011.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Boston have interested him before Papi accepted the abritration.  Since then Boston backed away from Queniten, Beltran, Cuddyler, Willingham, etc.  Figure that Boston want to use their remaining money to spend on starting pitchings or via trade.

RF will be fixed after the 2012 season.  Time to quit worry about RF.  Let worry about the starting rotation!!

Remember that Dice K, Papi (if he take only one year contract), Youkilis, Scataro, Jenks, and few other bench/bullpen pitchers will all be off the book.  They will have at least over 40 to 50 million dollars to spend during the 2012 off season!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to "Re: Quentin?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Quentin? : Yup, that would certainly shake things up.  Bobby V putting the guy with the worst On Base Percentage on his roster in the spot in the order where OBP is the name of the game.  Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE] Was CC's career worst OBP because he wasn't at the top of the lineup? Does V think CC reverts back to norm of a 340-360 OBP batting 1-3?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

No

Based on what?  First, his Career OPB prior to 2011 was UNDER 340, not b/t 340 and 360....Even a .350 OBP is questionable as a lead off hitter on a team with a strong offense that has the payroll to contend.

He needs to be really hot in ST for moving him up in the order to be considered.  The burden of proof is on Carl.  Until he shows a difference, there is no reason to ever consider batting him in the top half of the order.  Without the benefit of seeing a possible change in ST, there was no evidence that he will turn it around.  Did he finish the season strong?  Nope.  Now if you do a statistical analysis I agree he won't be as bad as a 2 8 9.  I see him b/t 310 and 320 next year which is a #8 or #9 hitter.  Or, a #7 hitter vs RH's and a 9 or bench vs LH's.....

Again, burden of proof is on CC

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

While its true Quentin may not make sense from a value standpoint, none of the horrifying options you listed for the Sox are a good reason.

Sweeney/Kalish/Aviles/MacDonald... yyyyeeeeaaaccch

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]Carlos Quentin would have cost pitching. He swings a lefty bat and missed (75 games) in 2010/2011 while Kevin Youkilis missed 102 games. I'd wager each will miss 40-50 this year and although Carlos is younger, why spend so much on a potential power-hitter who lacks durability.
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]

He is not left-handed.

He has a terrific arm, but no range.  He also mises a lot of time every year because he gets hit by a lot of pitches.  Also, he once ruined an MVP-caliber season by injuring himself by throwing a tantrum...

Sections
Shortcuts