Question:

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Question:

Question: 

If JBJ or Inglsias does what Pedroia did (.182)in April do you keep them up?

Are they made of the same material as Pedroia????

Or are they like so many more who never live up to the potential?

Just remember how many wanted DP out of the lineup back in April 2007

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Question:

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

Question: 

Knowing what we know about Pedroia's history I would say yes !!!!  With each game, anything that Iggy & Bradley can do to point to a win will go along way..... Bradley is here to stay, while IGGY needs to be "sharp" to hold off Drew !!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Bradley will stay up at least until Papi is back...Iggy is going down when Drew returns.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Bradley will stay up at least until Papi is back...Iggy is going down when Drew returns.

I would say both of those are definitely the most probable, but far from Definite.....Since Papi most likely wont be back till May, if JBJ is impressive or if any of the OFers are not healthy, he will be staying.....Since Drew seems like he will be back sooner, it doesnt allow Iggy much time to solidify a spot, so he will most likely be sent down, if he had more time and he was also Impressive, it might have been hard for them to keep him out of the lineup also, but there is issue then would be what to do with Drew....he is a SS only so you dont even have the option to send Ciriaco down and keep Drew as the Super Sub....my Prediction is....Bradley stays up, Iggy goes down......a shame but business will prevail.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

I would say both of those are definitely the most probable, but far from Definite.....Since Papi most likely wont be back till May, if JBJ is impressive or if any of the OFers are not healthy, he will be staying.....Since Drew seems like he will be back sooner, it doesnt allow Iggy much time to solidify a spot, so he will most likely be sent down, if he had more time and he was also Impressive, it might have been hard for them to keep him out of the lineup also, but there is issue then would be what to do with Drew....he is a SS only so you dont even have the option to send Ciriaco down and keep Drew as the Super Sub....my Prediction is....Bradley stays up, Iggy goes down......a shame but business will prevail.

I agree. Thats why I said At Least until papi returns, which suggests just what you said.  Iggy is a tougher situation. I think he goes down and If he does well, we might see a trade involving Drew by the deadline.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

They have 3 years to send Bradley Jr down for those 20 days. My guess is that during that time he so much as stubs his toe they wouldn't blink at the opportunity.

I don't expect Drew back for another 2-4 weeks. He's missed a month of ST & as long as Iggy is hitting, Drew also has to prove he can hit too. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Sox need to get Drew healthy , then trade him. Look around and see who needs a shortstop. May have to eat some of his bloated salary.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Btw, Just read Drew went 1-3 yesterday in extended ST game. Still have a feeling Sox are buying for time on the SS situation To see what's what. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Sox need to get Drew healthy , then trade him. Look around and see who needs a shortstop. May have to eat some of his bloated salary.

They might have to wait it out a bit and see what teams could use one. I would almost guarantee they will have to eat at least 2-4M of that deal. Drew at 5M is a lot more attractive.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Question: 

I don't see either being kept up if that happens.  With that said I think Iggy would be the one to fall into that category, Bradley seems to have much more plate discipline. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Question: 

Jim, I think the situations are different. First, the Sox lineup was a lot stronger so they could afford to be patient with Pedroia. Also, look at what Pedroia did in the minors in his last two years. In 2005, he batted .324 with Portland (298 PA) then struggled a bit the rest of the year with Pawtucket (.255, 240 PA). Then the next year, he batted .305 in 493 PA appearances with Pawtucket. So he showed he could make the adjustment to the higher level. He also had 1,223 PA in the minors.

Bradley doesn't have as many minor league PA and struggled the last third in Portland after pitchers got to know him. That was the reason to start him in the minors this year more than the service-time question.

So if Bradley is struggling, you give him that time back in the minors to let him make the adjustments after moving up a level that Pedroia actually got in 2006. For Bradley, this season is the equivelent of Pedroia's 2006 season in terms of development. Bradley has had just 615 plate appearances in the minors.

With the spring Bradley had and at least for game one, it looks like Bradley might be able to skip that last year in the minors. But let's see what he does over the next few weeks. 

As for Iggy, he's had more success in the minors that he's sometimes given credit for, including .266 in 396 PA in Pawtucket last year and a career minor-league average of .264 in 1,076 PA. But he hasn't shown the discipline and approach in the minors that Pedey did, which allowed Francona to be patient.

So if Iggy is batting under .200 when Drew is ready, a few more minor-league at-bats might benefit him.

Personally, I hope both earn their spots and stay all year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Question: 

Jim, I think the situations are different. First, the Sox lineup was a lot stronger so they could afford to be patient with Pedroia. Also, look at what Pedroia did in the minors in his last two years. In 2005, he batted .324 with Portland (298 PA) then struggled a bit the rest of the year with Pawtucket (.255, 240 PA). Then the next year, he batted .305 in 493 PA appearances with Pawtucket. So he showed he could make the adjustment to the higher level. He also had 1,223 PA in the minors.

Bradley doesn't have as many minor league PA and struggled the last third in Portland after pitchers got to know him. That was the reason to start him in the minors this year more than the service-time question.

So if Bradley is struggling, you give him that time back in the minors to let him make the adjustments after moving up a level that Pedroia actually got in 2006. For Bradley, this season is the equivelent of Pedroia's 2006 season in terms of development. Bradley has had just 615 plate appearances in the minors.

With the spring Bradley had and at least for game one, it looks like Bradley might be able to skip that last year in the minors. But let's see what he does over the next few weeks. 

As for Iggy, he's had more success in the minors that he's sometimes given credit for, including .266 in 396 PA in Pawtucket last year and a career minor-league average of .264 in 1,076 PA. But he hasn't shown the discipline and approach in the minors that Pedey did, which allowed Francona to be patient.

So if Iggy is batting under .200 when Drew is ready, a few more minor-league at-bats might benefit him.

Gammons said people are under-rating his college career.

http://www.gamecocksonline.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/bradleyjr_jackie00.html

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/scar/sports/m-basebl/auto_pdf/2012-13/misc_non_event/Bradley_Jr_Jackie_careerstats.pdf

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

Question: 

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/scar/sports/m-basebl/auto_pdf/2012-13/misc_non_event/Bradley_Jr_Jackie_careerstats.pdf

I'm not sure what your point is. Pedey went to college too, and college does give good experience. That is what has allowed Bradley to progress fast. It's still not pro ball. Bradley did struggle after Double-A pitchers had a better scouting report on him. Maybe he already made the adjustments.

But if he is batting .182 after a month, because he doesn't have those extra at-bats in the minors, then maybe sending him down for 80 at-bats or so to regroup will be a good thing. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

Question: 

I'm not sure what your point is. Pedey went to college too, and college does give good experience. That is what has allowed Bradley to progress fast. It's still not pro ball. Bradley did struggle after Double-A pitchers had a better scouting report on him. Maybe he already made the adjustments.

But if he is batting .182 after a month, because he doesn't have those extra at-bats in the minors, then maybe sending him down for 80 at-bats or so to regroup will be a good thing. 

Ha! Just telling you what he said.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

It was a question that only 4 actually answered. One said they should stay and start no matter what. Which is kind of dumb IMHO.

Other 10 went off on a tangent not answering the question. The forum at it's best.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

It was a question that only 4 actually answered. One said they should stay and start no matter what. Which is kind of dumb IMHO.

Other 10 went off on a tangent not answering the question. The forum at it's best.

JIM,  I hope you gave "high Marks" to BILL-806 !!

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

They might have to wait it out a bit and see what teams could use one. I would almost guarantee they will have to eat at least 2-4M of that deal. Drew at 5M is a lot more attractive.

Like i said in one of the other threads, Let drew play everyday once he gets back healthy, and send Iglesias down to triple A. If drew is productive you can trade him at or a bit before the trade deadline to a SS needy team for some nice peices. If Drew is terrible or isnt hitting then you replace him with iglesias. Really, this situation is a win-win. Another thing that would add trade value to drew(if he plays well) is his salary at the midyear point would be about 4.5 mil. 

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from taz1956. Show taz1956's posts

Question: 

I think you have to look at the makeup of the player. Bradley seems to have the mental side of the game down and could end up like Pedoria while Iggy is going through a learning phase with his hitting and has not had enough success to build up his confidence. Both add great defense to the mix and could make up for lack of production. Look at Bradleys run saving catch in just his first Major League game and playing out of position. For me I would keep them with the team only if they play every day. If the team cannot play them everyday then send them back so that they can get valuable playing time!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Question: 

Depends on their OBP. Hopefully that's an answer Jim. 

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to TV-Guy's comment:

The obvious answer is to have Ben Cherrington borrow the BDC Forum's crystal ball and predict successfully exactly when Bradley and Iglesias begin a two - three week slump and at that moment send them down. It sounds very simple to me. That way it will satisy everyone here, the players, and the front office and save $20 mil.

+1

Sections
Shortcuts