Question: Are Beckett's problems primarily due to being overweight and out of shape?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Question: Are Beckett's problems primarily due to being overweight and out of shape?

With Beckett hopelessly ineffective his weight jumps out at you as making it impossible to succeed. The guy is a good thirty to forty pounds overweight.  I have yet to hear a reporter ask Beckett or Valentine a pointed question in this regard.  Of course a man who would let himself get so fat after last year's collapse has a committment issue most importantly.  The press and media talk about it but never is it addressed directly by the manager or Beckett himself.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Question: Are Beckett's problems primarily due to being overweight and out of shape?

ben is a product of theo, who never met a player that he didnt like who wasnt overweight....how else can you explain the jenks signing...its all sabermetrics for these clowns, and no common sense....a well conditioned athlete should not be experiencing major declines in velocity, speed in his early thirties....beckett is about 37/38 in physical years

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Question: Are Beckett's problems primarily due to being overweight and out of shape?

I believe a, um, large portion of his problems on the hill stem from his lack of fitness.  All the back, hip, ankle tweaks.  When they don't put them on the shelf, they render him unable to finish his delivery, thus leaving the ball up, his break meaningless, and his cheese flat; turning him into Home-Run Beckett.  Given that he gets these injuries every year, and that these injuries are often weight-related or related to not having enough core strength, that pitchers need incredible balance and core strength to stabilize the dynamic lower body plant of the delivery, and given that he certainly, even at his most spry, looks completely out of shape:  I deduce that, yes, Beckett's problems are primarily due to being over weight and out of shape.  he can salvage his career if he can get with the program.  If not, he is done as of right now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In Response to Question: Are Beckett's problems primarily due to being overweight and out of shape?:
    With Beckett hopelessly ineffective his weight jumps out at you as making it impossible to succeed. The guy is a good thirty to forty pounds overweight.  I have yet to hear a reporter ask Beckett or Valentine a pointed question in this regard.  Of course a man who would let himself get so fat after last year's collapse has a committment issue most importantly.  The press and media talk about it but never is it addressed directly by the manager or Beckett himself.
    Posted by concord27

Somone should tell CC Sabathia and Bartolo Colon that you can't pitch while being oveweight.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In Response to Question: Are Beckett's problems primarily due to being overweight and out of shape?:
    Posted by concord27

Tell me why Lester weight more than Beckett per reading the roster information?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I have said it before and I'll say it again.
    Of Josh's 19 starts 14 have been quality starts. 5 crappy ones
    14 starts with runs scored against 4 (4 times) and the rest 3 or less.
    14 starts with 8 that were 7 or 8 innings and 6 of 6+ innings
    He has had 6 games where he gave up 3 or less and lost and 3 with NDs.

I did the run support umbers once and if Josh had the same run support as Clay he'd have 12 Wins now.

Of course I always say this and it gets glossed over because many wish to go after the percieved cancer in the clubhouse. Which has been refuted by both Ross and Aviles as they both have stated the RS clubhouse is one of the best they have ever been with.
    People run with the cancer thing and agree with any thing the media says to support it but disregard it as BS and CYA when other players say other wise.

Just remember Ted, Rice, and Many were considered bad by some in the media and believed by some fan but never by their team mates. Minly because they dd not talk to some in the media.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

jim..stop copying and pasting your nonsense..a quality start is 3 runs in 6 innings...where did you get 4 runs is a quality start...that would be an era over 5....hardlyt quality...is this what we have stooped too to support beckett? sad

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Beckett's problem is simple and plain to see. He is a power pitcher who has lost quite a bit off of his once explosive fastball. Without that , he is just not the pitcher that he used to be. Conditioning could play a part , along with natural aging.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In Response to Re: Question: Are Beckett's problems primarily due to being overweight and out of shape?:
    I have said it before and I'll say it again. Of Josh's 19 starts 14 have been quality starts. 5 crappy ones 14 starts with runs scored against 4 (4 times) and the rest 3 or less. 14 starts with 8 that were 7 or 8 innings and 6 of 6+ innings He has had 6 games where he gave up 3 or less and lost and 3 with NDs. I did the run support umbers once and if Josh had the same run support as Clay he'd have 12 Wins now. Of course I always say this and it gets glossed over because many wish to go after the percieved cancer in the clubhouse. Which has been refuted by both Ross and Aviles as they both have stated the RS clubhouse is one of the best they have ever been with. People run with the cancer thing and agree with any thing the media says to support it but disregard it as BS and CYA when other players say other wise. Just remember Ted, Rice, and Many were considered bad by some in the media and believed by some fan but never by their team mates. Minly because they dd not talk to some in the media.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida

They do it because it requires a minimum amount of thinking, Jim.
    And they get to show off how clever they are with an insult.
    It's fun and easy!  Wink

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Motown9009. Show Motown9009's posts

In Response to Re: Question: Are Beckett's problems primarily due to being overweight and out of shape?:
    I have said it before and I'll say it again. Of Josh's 19 starts 14 have been quality starts. 5 crappy ones 14 starts with runs scored against 4 (4 times) and the rest 3 or less. 14 starts with 8 that were 7 or 8 innings and 6 of 6+ innings He has had 6 games where he gave up 3 or less and lost and 3 with NDs. I did the run support umbers once and if Josh had the same run support as Clay he'd have 12 Wins now. Of course I always say this and it gets glossed over because many wish to go after the percieved cancer in the clubhouse. Which has been refuted by both Ross and Aviles as they both have stated the RS clubhouse is one of the best they have ever been with. People run with the cancer thing and agree with any thing the media says to support it but disregard it as BS and CYA when other players say other wise. Just remember Ted, Rice, and Many were considered bad by some in the media and believed by some fan but never by their team mates. Minly because they dd not talk to some in the media.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida

I'm sure the numbers you're looking at support what you're saying. But forget the numbers for a minute. Has Beckett had a good season? Is he pitching like an ace? Or even a #2 starter? Do you feel condident in him? Do you want him starting a must win game? When was the last time Beckett looked like an ace?

I want more from Beckett than keeping it reasonably close to where it's possible they can score enough runs to win. That's what I want from 4th or 5th starters.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

jim..stop copying and pasting your nonsense..a quality start is 3 runs in 6 innings...where did you get 4 runs is a quality start...that would be an era over 5....hardlyt quality...is this what we have stooped too to support beckett? sad
    Posted by georom4

geo read what I said very good starts on the 4 runs not quality. Quality was for th other 10. As usual you pick one thing and disregard the rest.

BTW why should I stop you post the same crapp every day

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

This gets posted alot, but I dont think the facts support it.....first of all Beckett is not 30-40 lbs overweight....10-20 at most.....as to whether he is out of shape....I can only go by what Tito said this year....that Josh was one of the hardest workers on the team....I am not there so I have no reason to doubt it. I do agree he has lost some off his Fastball....but I think that can be attributed to age or in Josh's case IP since he is only 32....but this is 12th year in the Majors...and again, this comes down to the Pitching coach or if you want to blame Josh, possibly his stubbornness.....there comes a time with Most pitchers that you cant win overpowering guys anymore.....you need to adjust....locate better....change speeds and eye level more....Josh and Lester both need to do this....Is McClure advising and working with them on this?.....or have they tuned him out if he is? Is the fact that Josh/John relied on Tek to guide them through  pitch patterns made it tougher to change?

Finally to defend Jim's points....Josh had made 19 starts....4 of which have been horrendous. In the other 15 he has an ERA of 3.27 and a WHIP of 1.26. If those were his numbers for the year people would be praising him and nobody would be questioning his conditioning

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Motown9009. Show Motown9009's posts

In Response to Re: Question: Are Beckett's problems primarily due to being overweight and out of shape? : geo read what I said very good starts on the 4 runs not quality. Quality was for th other 10. As usual you pick one thing and disregard the rest. BTW why should I stop you post the same crapp every day
    Posted by JimfromFlorida

How about a 1 run game from time to time? A complete game shutout? Or any other dominating performace and aces around MLB are capable of from time to time? Beckett's numbers wouldn't be terrible of he were a 5th starter but he's supposed to be their ace and I'd like more from him than "more times than not he only gives up 4 runs instead of 8".

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Motown9009. Show Motown9009's posts

As players age, high body fat index equates to joint injury and inflamation. If a player isn't performing well, he has no excuse for not reducing his body fat index. Beckett has no excuse, nor does anyone else in the same category.
    Posted by TrotterNixon

Beckett seems like he's at that "last 10 pounds" stage. He's not obese but there's some weight there could he afford to drop. He'd just have to work harder to do it at this stage of his career...and I wonder how motivated he might be to do it. He's won twice, he's set for life financially. Maybe he just doesn't have the drive that he used to.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

So he has 10 games he should have won with any normal run support at all.
    He has had 2 QS where he has a ND (and RS lost) and has 3 QS where he has lost.
    That is 5 QS where he could have a W with more run support.
    He has 10 QS and 4 where he went 6+ and only 4 runs.As stated with the run support Clay has gotten Josh could have 14 Ws. Never mind that with normal run support he'd have 10 W at a minimum.
    BTW for the one who said at least one game 8 innings with no runs or 1 run. He has had 3 with 7 innings and 2 with 8 innings.

The 5 QS he has lost or has a ND that could have been Ws are the difference between where they are and 1st in the WC.

Josh's record is not what we may expect but it is not all his fault.
    JUst like people praise Clay because thru June was 8-2 with only 4 QS.
    Josh had 8 QS and had a losing record thru JUne Clay with 4 had a winning record.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

All I know is that Ortiz came into camp thjis year about 30 pounds lighter.  It was obvious.  To me, that showed that we was willing to try to do something to improve, at least on a personal level, over last year.  Maybe the fact that he's on a one-year contract had somnething to do with it.  All I know is he came in looking way better than he did in 2011, and his performance has improved, too.  Coincidence?  Don't know, but he at least tried to do something to improve.

Not so with Josh.  He came in looking like he did at the end of last season.  So whatever is going through his head, or whatever injuries he may be dealing with, he clearly didn't think it was important to do anything to improve himself over last year.  So I feel no loyalty to him as a once-pretty-good pitcher. He's checked out.  Too bad the $330K a week will continue on for a while.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

In Response to Question: Are Beckett's problems primarily due to being overweight and out of shape? : Somone should tell CC Sabathia and Bartolo Colon that you can't pitch while being oveweight.
    Posted by ThefourBs
    don't know what to say about colon; but you make a good  point about sabathia/ My understanding was ... that weight was an issue when he signed his contract extension. He's still heavy, but he's 30 lbs lighter than last year and he's manged to keep it off.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Beckett has an aged back, no conditioning saves that.   No fix for his problems.   Well, steroids ....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

The mystery to me is why does Beckett have a down year every other year. Compare historically his even and odd number years. I was hoping off the bad '11 finish he'd buck the trend, but not the case. His failures in the first innings are also interesting. Regarding the 14 decent or better starts, that's true but in at least 3 or 4 recent big games he's put the team in an early hole, resulting in key losses. He used to have a reputation as a big game pitcher but no more.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Posted by concord27

HA HA ....Your overweight thing is Funny ! ....That real thin pitcher over there in NY. You know CC Sa fat AZZ..... you would pi ss your pants to have him pitch for Sox.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In Response to Question: Are Beckett's problems primarily due to being overweight and out of shape? : Somone should tell CC Sabathia and Bartolo Colon that you can't pitch while being oveweight.
    Posted by ThefourBs

Consider Beckett was not always fat.  Sabathia and Colon were.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Posted by concord27
    That son is a  B I N G O !!!!   OVERWEIGHT, OVERPAID, UNDER PERFORMING FAT-CAT-BARRRRRSTAD !!!!!!!  The $ox are stuck in the MUD with BECKETT$ !!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

I agree entirely with Bill. Beckett needs to go.

Sections
Shortcuts