QUESTION: for would be general managers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

QUESTION: for would be general managers

Back in the day, 1960 to be exact, Rocky Colavito, easily Cleveland fans' favorite, was traded by Indians general manager Frank ‘Trader’ Lane for 1959 batting title winner Harvey Kuenn of the Tigers. It remains one of the more controversial trades of modern baseball times.

Now, in today's game the elements for trades are a bit more complicated, not the least of which are contractual obligations and salary considerations, with fan favorites and team ties negated to the back burner. So here is my two-part question.

a) If you were in Cashman’s shoes, would you, before the trading deadline, trade Granderson for Ellsbury and Doubront?

b) If you were in Epstein’s shoes, would you, before the trading deadline, trade Ellsbury and Doubront for Granderson?

Validity of responses will be measured by intelligent input based on factual data.

Game on!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: QUESTION: for would be general managers

Sorry but no way do I want Granderson over Ellsbury. He hits more home runsns but that's it. His BA and OBP are considerably less than Ellsbury's as his his speed.

Plus he's older.

Why in the world would the Sox want to replace Ellsbury in CF with Granderson, losing a top leadoff guy in the process. I wouldn't (if I were the Sox) make that deal even up, let alone throw in Doubrant.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

No, like Slomag said, they're close enough players, but Granderson will cost about twice as much.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I wouldnt personally because i think your giving much more than your getting..2 young talents that are cost effective for Granderson..Dont get me wrong, CG is a solid player..Not worth Doubront AND Ells though IMO...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

No and No.

Granderson would be nowhere near as productive in Fenway. Yankee stadium's RF is not only short, it's also a wind tunnel out there enhancing every ball hit up in the air to RF. For the Yanks, Granderson is worth a lot more than he would be worth playing for the Sox. He may well be a 40 HR guy this year. He does cost a lot more than Ellsbury though. If the Sox offered Ellsbury straight up I don't think they would take that deal. They might though if Doubront and Ellsbury were offered but I don't think so. How many teams can get 40 HR out of their CF?

Doubront is a significant talent. He is doing great in AAA ball. A strong case could be made that he should be our 5th starter right now. A lot of teams would love to have him in their rotation. He is excellent deep depth for our starting rotation.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I have no doubt that Cashman would trade Granderson for Ellsbury in one N.Y. minute. Never mind adding Doubront.  Should Theo do it?  No, no, no , a thousand times no. I would wager that there is not one G.M. in baseball who would take Granderson over Ellsbury.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Glenn Beck is more likely to endorse Barack Obama's re-election than the Sox and Yankees are to make a mid-season deal with each other.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Career:

Granderson Age 30   OPS .831   162 Game Run Average 105  HR 27 RBI 76 

Ellsbury  Age 28      OPS .765    162 Game Run Average 105  HR 11 RBI 64

Players are both weak and below average CF defenders

Granderson is far more productive in career averages

Because of the CBA, Granderson is a slightly better replacement value than Ellsbury, though replacement value is one of the weaker metrics from fangraphs

First of all, the Red Sox have zero need for another lefty OF'er, I'll be it is one with far superior pop (homers, power is slugging and all extra base hits) and slugging ability. Elllsbury is a short arm hitter with a reverse pivot swing which, over the big sample, manifests in his much lower career average potential.  

So, no, the Red Sox shouldn't make that trade, even straight up because Granderson is not a fit and thus, not a good value. 

Now, mention Kemp and J. Upton and that's a different story.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to QUESTION: for would be general managers:
    Back in the day, 1960 to be exact, Rocky Colavito, easily Cleveland fans' favorite, was traded by Indians general manager Frank ‘Trader’ Lane for 1959 batting title winner Harvey Kuenn of the Tigers. It remains one of the more controversial trades of modern baseball times. Now, in today's game the elements for trades are a bit more complicated, not the least of which are contractual obligations and salary considerations, with fan favorites and team ties negated to the back burner. So here is my two-part question. a) If you were in Cashman’s shoes, would you, before the trading deadline, trade Granderson for Ellsbury and Doubront? b) If you were in Epstein’s shoes, would you, before the trading deadline, trade Ellsbury and Doubront for Granderson? Validity of responses will be measured by intelligent input based on factual data. Game on!
    Posted by dustcover
      SO, OH WISE MAN..... WHY WOULD THEO & RED SOX NATION WANT TO MAKE THAT TRADE ???  SON,  LAY OFF THE SAUCE AND GET BACK TO  T-BALL & ICE CREAM !!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Wastefield and slimfast for RA.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Granderson is having a spectacular season--2d in the AL in HR's and near the top in rbi's and runs scored--and is a key reason why the Yankees are still in the hunt.  Doubront is right now just another hopeful, so, if Cashman makes this trade, he probably loses his job.

Ellsbury's stats are also very good this year, but not nearly as good as Granderson's.  That said, he too is a key part of a Sox lineup that is outproducing the Yankees lineup.  Plus Jake is a lot cheaper than Granderson, which helps when you are paying your rightfielder $14M and your leftfielder $20M. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from whosknockin. Show whosknockin's posts

Yes, by all means. Let's give our division rivals the starting pitching they desperately need. A left hander that will come in quite handy against our left handed line up.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

Something of an absurd and unrealistic trade scenario.  Both players are comfortable and contributing players on their respective teams.  They both have strengths and flaws and are clearly deserving this year of all-star selection and perhaps down the road MVP consideration.  The Yankees and Sox have not engaged in any "significant" trades since the 1970's when the latter dealt reliever Sparky Lyle to the Yankees for Danny Cater and Mario Guerrero if memory serves.  Before that the Sox traded a future Hall of Famer named Red Ruffing to the Yankees for Cedric Durst and $50,000 in cash considerations. That was circa 1930.  Perhaps Doubrount will become a decent major league starter or not.  With Lackey, Buchholz, Beckett and Lester in the fold for the foreseeable future, barring a long term injury like the one to Dice K, there will be one opening in the team's starting rotation in 2012 assuming that Wakefield is not extended once again for insurance purposes and to set a franchise record for wins.  The Yankees apparently have a stable of young starting pitchers at the .AA level who are considered to be more talented than Dubrount, but who perhaps? are not as close to being ready to join the rotation until 2012.  In short, the Yankees do not need another pitching "prospect" nor do they need a guy who is similar, but better, than an adequate player they currently have on the roster named Gardner.  If the Red Sox GM was to consider dealing Ellsbury, he would be wise to focus on the critical shortstop position, upgrade at catcher or trade speed for a right-handed hitting power outfielder to replace Drew.  Those are their three biggest challenges looking ahead.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from thewhiteflame. Show thewhiteflame's posts

In Response to Re: QUESTION: for would be general managers:
    ...First of all, the Red Sox have zero need for another lefty OF'er, I'll be it is one with far superior pop (homers, power is slugging and all extra base hits) and slugging ability...
    Posted by betterredthandead

i believe the word you are looking for is albeit, you pompous windbag... 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

How about Granderson for Crawford, straightup?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

Career: Granderson Age 30   OPS .831   162 Game Run Average 105  HR 27 RBI 76                                                                          Ellsbury  Age 28      OPS .765    162 Game Run Average 105  HR 11 RBI 64   Players are both weak and below average CF defenders Granderson is far more productive in career averages Because of the CBA, Granderson is a slightly better replacement value than Ellsbury, though replacement value is one of the weaker metrics from fangraphs First of all, the Red Sox have zero need for another lefty OF'er, I'll be it is one with far superior pop (homers, power is slugging and all extra base hits) and slugging ability. Elllsbury is a short arm hitter with a reverse pivot swing which, over the big sample, manifests in his much lower career average potential.   So, no, the Red Sox shouldn't make that trade, even straight up because Granderson is not a fit and thus, not a good value.  Now, mention Kemp and J. Upton and that's a different story.  

Posted by betterredthandead

"I'll be it".......are you sure you went to college? Try albeit.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

We went through this once and when provided with TWO dictionaries saying that "albiet" was the proper word his response was that those weren't the "right" dictionaries.

He's now running it by the forum again to see if he can get away with it.  What an a**.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: QUESTION: for would be general managers : i believe the word you are looking for is albeit, you pompous windbag... 
    Posted by thewhiteflame

Too damn funny!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Not a very good hypothetical.

The two teams haven't done a trade with each other in over decade and the nature of the rivalry is such the won't anytime soon.

Now just how good a prospect Doubrount is certainly is debatable but the RS aren't sending the pitching thin NYY a LH starter right now, even with the superior power numbers they would get in Ellsbury-Granderson swap.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In betterreadthandead's defense--and I will regret this forever--I too sometimes type something that is completely wrong--as if my fingers have lives of their own.  The key is to proofread before transmitting. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Granderson is a product of a short RF and batting in front of Mark Teixiera take him out of that lineup and ballpark, you need to wonder what his name would look like.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

One.  I think that betterred's post made good sense.
    Two.  I now doubt that bettered is softy, as softy would have known it was albeit.
    Three.  I can see why Cashman might want to do it.  Get a younger, cheaper CFer with game changing skills AND a promising young lefty starter with a lot of upside.
    But Theo?  The only way he trades Ellsbury for another OFer is to get a power RH bat in return with good OBP skills so he can put Crawford in the leadoff spot while also making his outfield less lefty dominant.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

But that "captious" bit in his last post sure reeks of softy, doesn't it?  Shame on softy for not knowing it was albeit, and then making up some stupid excuse for why it shouldn't have been albeit.

Sections
Shortcuts