Question on trade to Reds

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

Question on trade to Reds

They need a 1st baseman right? Anything they could offer in return? Are there trade possibilities there?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from eddiewilson. Show eddiewilson's posts

Re: Question on trade to Reds

are you asking if the reds need a first baseman?  don't they already have joey votto?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

That is correct that the Reds have Votto and he is soon going to sign an extension contract!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Question on trade to Reds:
    They need a 1st baseman right? Anything they could offer in return? Are there trade possibilities there?
    Posted by sday4x4

They're set at 1B until 2014 at the earliest (barring a trade).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Question on trade to Reds":
    They need a 1st baseman right? Anything they could offer in return? Are there trade possibilities there? Posted by sday4x4
    Reds 1st baseman Joey Votto won MVP in 2010...the Reds need a 1st baseman about as much as the Angels do...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Question on trade to Reds:
    That is correct that the Reds have Votto and he is soon going to sign an extension contract!!
    Posted by GoUconn13

I'm not so sure he's going to do it "soon", but maybe in about a year.  He just signed a 3 year deal a year ago.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

sorry all .....messed up...3rd baseman

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I believe Reds still think Scott Rolen is their 3B even though he's too injury prone now.  They have Miguel Cairo as a backup.  Reds won't give up much for 3B since they have few backups for Rolen.  If you are thinking Youkilis, I'd say Mike Leake and Paul Janish.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Question on trade to Reds":
    sorry all .....messed up...3rd baseman Posted by sday4x4
    They have an intriguing 3rd base prospect name Juan Francisco who they project to be a good hitter, although his Ks are Reynoldsesque and I don't think it would matter if he wore his glove on his hand or his foot when it comes to defense, but he's improving. It's no secret that Youk would welcome the opportunity to play for his hometown team, though...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I think I would target the Brewers, Cubs and Nat's for trading Youk as a 1 B.

He would be a good "bridge" 1 B for Theo--unfortunately they seem to be selling rather than buying. My guess Rizzo is going to have to prove himself again in the minors before Theo hands him first. There could be a lot of activity around Theo's Comp. Never know that may wind up being the trade that LL elluded to in Oct/Nov.

The Brewers could be the team after losing Prince they probably have money available. We're looking for Money, Prospects and a Starting Pitcher if we don't land one of Floyd, Jackson or Oswalt.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

sorry all .....messed up...3rd baseman Posted by sday4x4
    No. They have Rolen, Cairo, and also a young masher named Francisco that has Ruthian type power. He's not too far away from big league ready. Youll probably see him next season. So no, no need for 3b there.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Question on trade to Reds": They have an intriguing 3rd base prospect name Juan Francisco who they project to be a good hitter, although his Ks are Reynoldsesque and I don't think it would matter if he wore his glove on his hand or his foot when it comes to defense, but he's improving. It's no secret that Youk would welcome the opportunity to play for his hometown team, though... Posted by jasko2248
    Yip. That's him. Missed this post earlier. Watched him hit last year, does strike out a lot, but has incredible power to all fields.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Question on trade to Reds": Yip. That's him. Missed this post earlier. Watched him hit last year, does strike out a lot, but has incredible power to all fields. Posted by TheExaminer
    Yeah, heard he's the type of guy you get to the park early just to watch him take batting practice...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxforlife22. Show soxforlife22's posts

I do not think Rolen canbe trusted to one stay healthy and two play at a high level when he is healthy. Cairo is a solid backup... but still a backup. And, living in Cinci, i have gotten the chance to see Francisco and although he is talented, i do not think he is ready and neither do the Reds. They only gave him 93 at bats even with Rolen missing significant time. But that being said with three third base options Jocketty would not dip into the bank for a third baseman. He's already said that they've pretty much reached their limit financially

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Two things work against trading Youk to NL...big salary and fact that the only way he can help a team is to stay healthy so he can bat since no DH there.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I think I would target the Brewers, Cubs and Nat's for trading Youk as a 1 B. He would be a good "bridge" 1 B for Theo--unfortunately they seem to be selling rather than buying. My guess Rizzo is going to have to prove himself again in the minors before Theo hands him first. There could be a lot of activity around Theo's Comp. Never know that may wind up being the trade that LL elluded to in Oct/Nov. The Brewers could be the team after losing Prince they probably have money available. We're looking for Money, Prospects and a Starting Pitcher if we don't land one of Floyd, Jackson or Oswalt.
    Posted by MadMc44

And a 3B.  Don't forget we would need a 3B after dealing Youkilis.

The Brewers do needa 3B, and given that both Greinke and Marcum are FA after 2012, they might want to go all in on this year, although losing Braun for 50 games is pretty crippling. 

Do the Brewers really need a 1B?  Mat Gamel is plan A, but they could also slide Aramis Ramirez to 1B (where he is less damaging) and try hotshot prospect Taylor Green at 3B.

The real problem in Milwaukee is trying to figure out replaces Braun for 50 games.  So far the frontrunner looks like either Aoki or Logan Shafer.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Question on trade to Reds : And a 3B.  Don't forget we would need a 3B after dealing Youkilis. The Brewers do needa 3B, and given that both Greinke and Marcum are FA after 2012, they might want to go all in on this year, although losing Braun for 50 games is pretty crippling.  Do the Brewers really need a 1B?  Mat Gamel is plan A, but they could also slide Aramis Ramirez to 1B (where he is less damaging) and try hotshot prospect Taylor Green at 3B. The real problem in Milwaukee is trying to figure out replaces Braun for 50 games.  So far the frontrunner looks like either Aoki or Logan Shafer.  
    Posted by notin

notin, who do you think is the contending team most in need of a 1Bman (who can cover 3B if needed)?

I had thought of trading Youk earlier this winter, but couldn't come up with anything that made sense for both sides, plus, I was thinking Scoot, Aviles & Lowrie would share 3B if we traded Youk (Iggy at SS), but that idea is gone now.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: Question on trade to Reds : notin, who do you think is the contending team most in need of a 1Bman (who can cover 3B if needed)? I had thought of trading Youk earlier this winter, but couldn't come up with anything that made sense for both sides, plus, I was thinking Scoot, Aviles & Lowrie would share 3B if we traded Youk (Iggy at SS), but that idea is gone now.
    Posted by moonslav59

My first thought was Milwaukee, obviously, but I am not even sure what direction that team is headed, for reasons stated above.  The other obstacle might be that Youkilis makes that team even more right-handed than they already are, with their most dangerous left-handed hitter being Nyjer Morgan. 

I think San Francisco might be one candidate, since their 1B is probably going to be either the up-and-down Aubrey Huff or Brandon Belt (who as of today is probably their leading candidate for LF). 

If the idea is to move Youkilis for a SP, the Giants are not a great candidate.  Sure, Sabean will give you Zito and kiss you on the lips in the process, but their other candidates are wither too good for that deal, or too cheap for them to consider moving, especially with Cain’s impending free agency.  They mgith condsider Vogelsong, but they did recently extend him, and to me, he is far too much of a gamble.  While he was successful last year, the NL West had 3 of the 5 worst offenses in MLB and might not be the best barometer.  In Boston, in a smaller park, facing a DH, and seeing many more teams whose AAA lineups are more imposing than the Padres or Dodgers, Vogelsong would not be a good bet to duplicate 2011 if he were traded to the Sox.   Would he improve the Sox rotation? Probably, but probably not as much as Youkilis’ departure will hurt the lineup.  I think the Giants leave their pitching alone and hope Huff has one more good season left in him, and the teams don’t deal.

The only other team might be the Indians.  While the general consensus is that Detroit can start the season trying to set up their rotation for the playoffs, the Indians are in an odd spot, and had been making noises that they want to challenge.  They dealt their two top pitching prospects for Ubaldo Jimenez and acquired veteran Derek Lowe.  They certainly could use a right-handed bat since their current lineup has seven left-handed hitters and two switch hitters.  And 1B is currently being held by the underwhelming Matt LaPorta, who is probably their worst starter.  But what will the Indians give up?  The rights to Restricted List denizen Faux-sto Carmona?  Send Derek Lowe back?

Besides, if Youkilis is dealt, who plays 3B? Not that he is a great defensive option there, but do they go with Middlebrooks?  Do the Red Sox want try and compete with two rookies on the left side of the infield? And with no right-handed hitters in the heart of the lineup better than Cody Ross?  Or would Pedroia drop into the heart of the lineup?  I can see him hitting third, but fourth or fifth?  Is all that worth it for Vogelsong, Lowe, or a chance at Carmona/Hernandez, assuming he can straighten out his legal issues?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

My first thought was Milwaukee, obviously, but I am not even sure what direction that team is headed, for reasons stated above.  The other obstacle might be that Youkilis makes that team even more right-handed than they already are, with their most dangerous left-handed hitter being Nyjer Morgan. 

I'm not sure we could get in return from the Brewers that they would be willing to part with.

I think San Francisco might be one candidate, since their 1B is probably going to be either the up-and-down Aubrey Huff or Brandon Belt (who as of today is probably their leading candidate for LF). 

If the idea is to move Youkilis for a SP, the Giants are not a great candidate.  Sure, Sabean will give you Zito and kiss you on the lips in the process, but their other candidates are wither too good for that deal, or too cheap for them to consider moving, especially with Cain’s impending free agency.  They mgith condsider Vogelsong, but they did recently extend him, and to me, he is far too much of a gamble.  While he was successful last year, the NL West had 3 of the 5 worst offenses in MLB and might not be the best barometer.  In Boston, in a smaller park, facing a DH, and seeing many more teams whose AAA lineups are more imposing than the Padres or Dodgers, Vogelsong would not be a good bet to duplicate 2011 if he were traded to the Sox.   Would he improve the Sox rotation? Probably, but probably not as much as Youkilis’ departure will hurt the lineup.  I think the Giants leave their pitching alone and hope Huff has one more good season left in him, and the teams don’t deal.

I'd love to find a way to pry Cain away and get him to extend, but we'd have to give up 2-3 prospects with Youk to even have a discussion.

The only other team might be the Indians.  While the general consensus is that Detroit can start the season trying to set up their rotation for the playoffs, the Indians are in an odd spot, and had been making noises that they want to challenge.  They dealt their two top pitching prospects for Ubaldo Jimenez and acquired veteran Derek Lowe.  They certainly could use a right-handed bat since their current lineup has seven left-handed hitters and two switch hitters.  And 1B is currently being held by the underwhelming Matt LaPorta, who is probably their worst starter.  But what will the Indians give up?  The rights to Restricted List denizen Faux-sto Carmona?  Send Derek Lowe back?

My thought on trading Youk is that the only teams that want him will probably only want to give up prospects, so a three-way deal seems to make the most sense (if a trade is to be made at all). Trade Youk to a contender, get 2-3 prospects (not all good ones), then flip and/or add to the list and make a trade to a team looking to dump salary (CWS-Floyd, Houston-Wandy, etc...)

Besides, if Youkilis is dealt, who plays 3B? 

Dealing Youk made more sense when we still had Lowrie and Scoot, but I suppose we could go with Iggy at SS (You know I'd love that) and use Aviles & Punto at 3B until Middlebrooks looks ready (if ever).

Not that he is a great defensive option there, but do they go with Middlebrooks?  Do the Red Sox want try and compete with two rookies on the left side of the infield? And with no right-handed hitters in the heart of the lineup better than Cody Ross?  Or would Pedroia drop into the heart of the lineup?  

Losing a healthy Youk would be a huge blow to our already somewhat unbalanced line-up, but I think Pedey could be a nice #4 hitter. In 133 career PAs, he has a 1.117 as a clean-up hitter. We could also put AGon 4th and Pedey 3rd, and use CC 2nd vs RHPs and Aviles vs LHPs.

I can see him hitting third, but fourth or fifth?  Is all that worth it for Vogelsong, Lowe, or a chance at Carmona/Hernandez, assuming he can straighten out his legal issues?

I'd say Vogelsong is the best bet, but you are right, he's a big gamble. Do you think we could trade Youk, Ranaudo, Bowden and Tejada for Cain and an extension?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'm not sure we could get in return from the Brewers that they would be willing to part with.

I think Mil is going with Gamel.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

Sections
Shortcuts