Question: Why is it necessary to put another player or players down when supporting one?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Question: Why is it necessary to put another player or players down when supporting one?

This is an anathema to me.

Why is it necessary, as is the practice of some, to put down other Red Sox players in an effort to somehow make the player being supported by a poster seem more consequential?

It isn't as if the discussions involved are about players on opposing teams.  That would seem natural, even though nasty put downs aren't always a requirement there either.  But it would seem a much better place to say "this guy is better that than guy..."

Instead I see over and over one Red Sox member, even those performing extremely well, somehow being used as a negative in balance toward another.

Of course this is completely ludicrous when considering how the guys in the club house actually think ... at least with this team.  Jealousy has certainly been a factor in club houses of all sports before, but to their credit, this Red Sox team seems more and more like a single unit as the season rolls on.

I also realize some of us have whipping boys.  Especially when things are going poorly.  But now?  Now when so much is going well and so many are doing well, a team that has at least three legitimate MVP candidates, a comeback of the year lock, a blossoming talent in RF and and even more outstanding one in CF, and a star coming into his own in LF. 

This team hasn't lost a series since June ...

And yet, in the minds of some of the guys on this board, a few really sick guys, the need is there to bash something.  Why?  What kind of a mind says, "Cross out all the good and find something irritating to dig out.  Then throw it in between the teammates of your favorite team.? ... like you think you're building up something when all you're doing is tearing something down.

I'm not talking about everyone, not by a long shot.  But what the heck is wrong with the mind that has to bash when things are going ... BETTER THAN ANY OTHER TEAM IN THE LEAGUE AND SECOND BEST IN ALL OF THE MAJORS?

Senseless and sick.

Especially when a few - maybe one or two - are willing to even bash one MVP candidate so as to make another appear better.  It must really suc k to live in that mind.  It should be a joyous time, but instead all they want is to pull finger nails out of someone ....

Again, why is that necessary?

Why is it even being practiced?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

Re: Question: Why is it necessary to put another player or players down when supporting one?

A baseball forum's Unwritten Rule?

I don't discriminate.  I'll even put down two players while praising no one. Wink

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: Question: Why is it necessary to put another player or players down when supporting one?

In Response to Re: Question: Why is it necessary to put another player or players down when supporting one?:
    A baseball forum's Unwritten Rule? I don't discriminate.  I'll even put down two players while praising no one.
    Posted by SleeStack1

Ha! 

That is far and away better ... it doesn't seem twisted, just negative.  And I am not saying I'm not.  I certainly have my times.

Humor appreciated, Slee.

Nap time.  Then I get my bottle.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Piersall37. Show Piersall37's posts

I agree with you 100% Yaz.  My one pet peeve with reading these blogs is how childish it is when the name calling starts.  A perfectly intended response to anything on this forum immediately turns sour when 3rd grade playground name calling becomes part of that response. There's no need of it.  If you want to be believable in a response and have reader's enjoy your point of view, can the name calling...it's too childish!  The Sox are close to 30 games over .500.  We should be praising their every move, not second guessing what they are doing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from aifan. Show aifan's posts

so many experts and too litle time to enjoy results! nic-picking negative posters are not experts, just opinionated bloviates. Really sad when a few turn the national pastime into a negative, constantly. Time to be gratefull for what we have and remember it's a team game and it does take twenty five players and then some to get to the finish line. Francona knows this, Theo knows this and we're lucky Henry can afford to play a very expensive game to entertain us.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from -theyazzer-. Show -theyazzer-'s posts

In Response to Question: Why is it necessary to put another player or players down when supporting one?:
    This is an anathema to me. Why is it necessary, as is the practice of some, to put down other Red Sox players in an effort to somehow make the player being supported by a poster seem more consequential? It isn't as if the discussions involved are about players on opposing teams.  That would seem natural, even though nasty put downs aren't always a requirement there either.  But it would seem a much better place to say "this guy is better that than guy..." Instead I see over and over one Red Sox member, even those performing extremely well, somehow being used as a negative in balance toward another. Of course this is completely ludicrous when considering how the guys in the club house actually think ... at least with this team.  Jealousy has certainly been a factor in club houses of all sports before, but to their credit, this Red Sox team seems more and more like a single unit as the season rolls on. I also realize some of us have whipping boys.  Especially when things are going poorly.  But now?  Now when so much is going well and so many are doing well, a team that has at least three legitimate MVP candidates, a comeback of the year lock, a blossoming talent in RF and and even more outstanding one in CF, and a star coming into his own in LF.  This team hasn't lost a series since June ... And yet, in the minds of some of the guys on this board, a few really sick guys, the need is there to bash something.  Why?  What kind of a mind says, "Cross out all the good and find something irritating to dig out.  Then throw it in between the teammates of your favorite team, like you think you're building up something when all you're doing is tearing something down. I'm not talking about everyone, not by a long shot.  But what the heck is wrong with the mind that has to bash when things are going ... BETTER THAN ANY OTHER TEAM IN THE LEAGUE AND SECOND BEST IN ALL OF THE MAJORS? Senseless and sick. Especially when a few - maybe one or two - are willing to even bash one MVP candidate so as to make another appear better.  It must really suc k to live in that mind.  It should be a joyous time, but instead all they want is to pull finger nails out of someone .... Again, why is that necessary? Why is it even being practiced?
    Posted by SinceYaz

your post has much merit, however, i have one question.
    who is this star you speak of in LF coming into his own?
    if it's who i think it is, i don't see a star, i see an albatross.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from gosox67. Show gosox67's posts

sIn Response to Re: Question: Why is it necessary to put another player or players down when supporting one?:
    I agree with you 100% Yaz.  My one pet peeve with reading these blogs is how childish it is when the name calling starts.  A perfectly intended response to anything on this forum immediately turns sour when 3rd grade playground name calling becomes part of that response. There's no need of it.  If you want to be believable in a response and have reader's enjoy your point of view, can the name calling...it's too childish!  The Sox are close to 30 games over .500.  We should be praising their every move, not second guessing what they are doing.
    Posted by Piersall37

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gosox67. Show gosox67's posts

if you love the sox does it matter who gets the job  done.?In Response to Re: Question: Why is it necessary to put another player or players down when supporting one?:
    In Response to Question: Why is it necessary to put another player or players down when supporting one? : your post has much merit, however, i have one question. who is this star you speak of in LF coming into his own?
    Posted by -theyazzer-

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from playball01. Show playball01's posts

Yaz,

Quite simply, some fail to realize that baseball is a "TEAM" sport and we win and lose as a "TEAM". Our success, or lack thereof, is best measured by the cumulative performance of all parts.

With that being said, the Red Sox TEAM is a bunch of winners........ PERIOD!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Question: Why is it necessary to put another player or players down when supporting one?:
    This is an anathema to me. Why is it necessary, as is the practice of some, to put down other Red Sox players in an effort to somehow make the player being supported by a poster seem more consequential? It isn't as if the discussions involved are about players on opposing teams.  That would seem natural, even though nasty put downs aren't always a requirement there either.  But it would seem a much better place to say "this guy is better that than guy..." Instead I see over and over one Red Sox member, even those performing extremely well, somehow being used as a negative in balance toward another. Of course this is completely ludicrous when considering how the guys in the club house actually think ... at least with this team.  Jealousy has certainly been a factor in club houses of all sports before, but to their credit, this Red Sox team seems more and more like a single unit as the season rolls on. I also realize some of us have whipping boys.  Especially when things are going poorly.  But now?  Now when so much is going well and so many are doing well, a team that has at least three legitimate MVP candidates, a comeback of the year lock, a blossoming talent in RF and and even more outstanding one in CF, and a star coming into his own in LF.  This team hasn't lost a series since June ... And yet, in the minds of some of the guys on this board, a few really sick guys, the need is there to bash something.  Why?  What kind of a mind says, "Cross out all the good and find something irritating to dig out.  Then throw it in between the teammates of your favorite team, like you think you're building up something when all you're doing is tearing something down. I'm not talking about everyone, not by a long shot.  But what the heck is wrong with the mind that has to bash when things are going ... BETTER THAN ANY OTHER TEAM IN THE LEAGUE AND SECOND BEST IN ALL OF THE MAJORS? Senseless and sick. Especially when a few - maybe one or two - are willing to even bash one MVP candidate so as to make another appear better.  It must really suc k to live in that mind.  It should be a joyous time, but instead all they want is to pull finger nails out of someone .... Again, why is that necessary? Why is it even being practiced?
    Posted by SinceYaz

Good post. I agree.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Posted by SinceYaz

Good post Yaz,

I don't personally dislike any of our players and have been a Sox fan over 40 years.  I do feel it's fine to voice your displeasure with certain players when there are facts to back it up, or it's so obvious you are just looking to get thoughts from fellow fans.  Some fans continually bash our players just for attention.  Unfortunately, we do have fans here who feed right into it instead of ignoring them.  Others just choose to provoke the "attention grabbers" making things even worse. 

Then you have a "select few" experts who will Stat you too death, but leave out important information because it may disprove their statement or theory.  These fans either "again" begin a war of words when called out, or simply avoid a response because they have no answer.  Again, It's only a select few, there are many more who use Stats to support their thoughts very well, while remaining open minded to all the facts.

Unfortunately that's what makes up a discussion board, but there are still a lot of great fans here to discuss baseball with and not get involved in the drama.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

On the positive side ( I've become a little more of an optimist lately)...

....isn't it better that people vent at random cyberfans than for them to beat their wives or kick the dog?

The people who continue to throw Lackey and Crawford under the bus are the people who are never satisfied with anything. Miserable nitpicking critics who need something to b*tch about daily to confirm that they are still functioning.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: Question: Why is it necessary to put another player or players down when supporting one?:
    Posted by Piersall37

I'm afraid I'm guilty of some of the name calling, Peirsall.  But almost always it is in a reference of getting after the other guy for nailing a Sox or the Sox, in what I consider too critical a way.  That dosn't absove me of being childish sometimes, but like others here, the Red Sox are my team, no matter what. 

It isn't that I'm polly-anna and don't recognize the mistakes or hard times.  I certainly feel them.  But I am a broken record, when you are FOR something, dagummit, be FOR something.

And there certainly is something special about the Red Sox, good or bad.  They wove themselves into my wiring somehow in a way no other team has.  I enjoy a wide array of sports, but there is nothing like the place that the Red Sox control in my sports heart and mind.  Borrowing from another, football and basketball only help fill the time when the So aren't playing.

:o)  Keep enjoying the season, good sir!!!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

so many experts and too litle time to enjoy results! nic-picking negative posters are not experts, just opinionated bloviates. Really sad when a few turn the national pastime into a negative, constantly. Time to be gratefull for what we have and remember it's a team game and it does take twenty five players and then some to get to the finish line. Francona knows this, Theo knows this and we're lucky Henry can afford to play a very expensive game to entertain us.
    Posted by aifan

Fine first post ... agree with you completely.  Sharing opinions is not an issue.  Being constantly over negative is ... for me at least.

If a guy screws up a play or a game, let your momentary ARRRRGH  out and let it go.  Then see the big picture .... and enjoy!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Question: Why is it necessary to put another player or players down when supporting one? : your post has much merit, however, i have one question. who is this star you speak of in LF coming into his own? if it's who i think it is, i don't see a star, i see an albatross.
    Posted by -theyazzer-

Yazzer,

That's where we differ.  You see an albatross and think it's a bad omen.  I see an albatross and see it as the good omen that seaman for millenia have seen it as.  One book about an albatross around a sailor's neck and all the countless sailors through uncountable years suddenly have their opinion somehow skewered. 

In other words, that LFer I see as a lifetime of quality and he is now getting back to that place.  He had a rough patch but it wasn't going to last.  In the long run, he, like the Red Sox, is just too good a player to stay down too, too long.  Going 9-12 against the MFY and helping to sink the battleship CC .. well, that is all good!

Carl's going to give us many good years of great play....as well as many good years of good play.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

if you love the sox does it matter who gets the job  done.?Posted by gosox67

Exactly, gosox67.  Exactly.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Yaz, Quite simply, some fail to realize that baseball is a "TEAM" sport and we win and lose as a "TEAM". Our success, or lack thereof, is best measured by the cumulative performance of all parts.

With that being said, the Red Sox TEAM is a bunch of winners........ PERIOD!
    Posted by playball01

Couldn't agree more, Playball!  

How's the asylu ... um, institute doing? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Question: Why is it necessary to put another player or players down when supporting one? : Good post. I agree.
    Posted by royf19

Thanks, Roy. 

You've proven your support in the posts I've read, so I would have been confident you would. 

Citrus Tower on US 27 still standing?  Is that the town you moved to? 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Question: Why is it necessary to put another player or players down when supporting one? : Good post Yaz, I don't personally dislike any of our players and have been a Sox fan over 40 years.  I do feel it's fine to voice your displeasure with certain players when there are facts to back it up, or it's so obvious you are just looking to get thoughts from fellow fans.  Some fans continually bash our players just for attention.  Unfortunately, we do have fans here who feed right into it instead of ignoring them.  Others just choose to provoke the "attention grabbers" making things even worse.  Then you have a "select few" experts who will Stat you too death, but leave out important information because it may disprove their statement or theory.  These fans either "again" begin a war of words when called out, or simply avoid a response because they have no answer.  Again, It's only a select few, there are many more who use Stats to support their thoughts very well, while remaining open minded to all the facts. Unfortunately that's what makes up a discussion board, but there are still a lot of great fans here to discuss baseball with and not get involved in the drama.
    Posted by craze4sox

Know what?  Being able to say I've been a fan of something for over 40 years makes me shake my head sometimes.  :o)  Gotten older way too fast.

The other thing is that I am not saying that we can't feel frustration or wish things might be different or get jumpy over a bad play ...

I'm just saying don't wear it out - and don't beat the guys all the stinkin' time.  Then when we start using one against the other .... in a mean spirited way ... it's too much. 

Keep on enjoying, brother.  On to the next 40 years ...  now that WOULD be something!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Question: Why is it necessary to put another player or players down when supporting one? : Know what?  Being able to say I've been a fan of something for over 40 years makes me shake my head sometimes.  :o)  Gotten older way too fast. The other thing is that I am not saying that we can't feel frustration or wish things might be different or get jumpy over a bad play ... I'm just saying don't wear it out - and don't beat the guys all the stinkin' time.  Then when we start using one against the other .... in a mean spirited way ... it's too much.  Keep on enjoying, brother.  On to the next 40 years ...  now that WOULD be something!
    Posted by SinceYaz

Agreed Yaz, I have also learned quickly to ignore those who know everything and only accept their own point of view.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

can we apply the same rules to posters?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

That's your own prejudice. Favoritism is part of the human condition. People who deny it are denying they are mortal.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

This is an anathema to me. Why is it necessary, as is the practice of some, to put down other Red Sox players in an effort to somehow make the player being supported by a poster seem more consequential? It isn't as if the discussions involved are about players on opposing teams.  That would seem natural, even though nasty put downs aren't always a requirement there either.  But it would seem a much better place to say "this guy is better that than guy..." Instead I see over and over one Red Sox member, even those performing extremely well, somehow being used as a negative in balance toward another. Of course this is completely ludicrous when considering how the guys in the club house actually think ... at least with this team.  Jealousy has certainly been a factor in club houses of all sports before, but to their credit, this Red Sox team seems more and more like a single unit as the season rolls on. I also realize some of us have whipping boys.  Especially when things are going poorly.  But now?  Now when so much is going well and so many are doing well, a team that has at least three legitimate MVP candidates, a comeback of the year lock, a blossoming talent in RF and and even more outstanding one in CF, and a star coming into his own in LF.  This team hasn't lost a series since June ... And yet, in the minds of some of the guys on this board, a few really sick guys, the need is there to bash something.  Why?  What kind of a mind says, "Cross out all the good and find something irritating to dig out.  Then throw it in between the teammates of your favorite team.? ... like you think you're building up something when all you're doing is tearing something down. I'm not talking about everyone, not by a long shot.  But what the heck is wrong with the mind that has to bash when things are going ... BETTER THAN ANY OTHER TEAM IN THE LEAGUE AND SECOND BEST IN ALL OF THE MAJORS? Senseless and sick. Especially when a few - maybe one or two - are willing to even bash one MVP candidate so as to make another appear better.  It must really suc k to live in that mind.  It should be a joyous time, but instead all they want is to pull finger nails out of someone .... Again, why is that necessary? Why is it even being practiced?
    Posted by SinceYaz

You are the man, Yaz...and 100% right.  The fact that Softy disagrees with you only makes me that more sure you are correct.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

On the positive side ( I've become a little more of an optimist lately)... ....isn't it better that people vent at random cyberfans than for them to beat their wives or kick the dog? The people who continue to throw Lackey and Crawford under the bus are the people who are never satisfied with anything. Miserable nitpicking critics who need something to b*tch about daily to confirm that they are still functioning.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

:o)   Good afternoon, MR. PresiZill,

It is an easy way to vent ...  especially for those guys who can't tell the difference between their dogs and wives ... so much confusion then ... which one to kick, which one to beat.  And of course I am not for either. 

It's the chronic part that gets to me. 

Here's to a good night with Lester on the mound, sir.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In Response to Re: Question: Why is it necessary to put another player or players down when supporting one? : :o)   Good afternoon, MR. PresiZill,    It is an easy way to vent ...  especially for those guys who can't tell the difference between their dogs and wives ... so much confusion then ... which one to kick, which one to beat.  And of course I am not for either.    It's the chronic part that gets to me.    Here's to a good night with Lester on the mound, sir.
    Posted by SinceYaz

Yaz, you bring up very good points, for now on this will be the Sox forum conversations:

soft: Lemonade?
    harness: Yes, please.
    soft: How are you doing?
    harness: I'm fine, how bout you?
    soft: good.
    harness: that's good.
    ............(*bart turns off set)

Sections
Shortcuts