Question: Why is it necessary to put another player or players down when supporting one?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: Question: Why is it necessary to put another player or players down when supporting one?

In Response to Re: Question: Why is it necessary to put another player or players down when supporting one?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Question: Why is it necessary to put another player or players down when supporting one? : Yaz, you bring up very good points, for now on this will be the Sox forum conversations: soft: Lemonade? harness: Yes, please. soft: How are you doing? harness: I'm fine, how bout you? soft: good. harness: that's good. ............(*bart turns off set)
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

When two such brilliant minds clash there can only be one winner, so it will be a duel to the end.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Re: Question: Why is it necessary to put another player or players down when supporting one?

Think it's bad here, read the Bruins' board.

Count how many times players like Rask get scorched for no good reason other than to pump up another player.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

Well said Yaz!

Reminds me of an old adage I read somewhere: "Don't criticize someone unless you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, if you then criticize them, you'll be mile away and you'll have their shoes".

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I'm shocked you found positive posts about players to refer to even if they had negative references in them. LOL

Nice post, Yaz. :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Always a refreshing POV from you Yaz...I agree 100%..Although I have done a little name calling to one certain poster..Nothing bad, but name calling none the less..Ive been following and believing in this team for 35 years. I think we all get down on a guy for a K looking or a dropped ball, but your right yaz, Its a bit too much to constantly keep killing a player whos actually helping the team when you look at the big picture..guys r goiung to have good and bad days..We've been saying this from the start, "there is too much talent on this team" ..If someone is slumping, the next guy picks him up..weve seen it all year..Win as a team and lose as a team..Great post Yaz..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

I don't understand the putdown mentality either.  Like gosox said, it doesn't matter who gets it done.

I will say I partly agree (horrors) with softy that favoritism is part of the human condition, but that being said, I don't understand the constant need on the part of some posters to focus always, always, always on the negative.  I've got my favorite Sox players like everyone else, but I don't see the purpose in demeaning my non-favorites.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Question: Why is it necessary to put another player or players down when supporting one?:
    [QUOTE]I don't understand the putdown mentality either.  Like gosox said, it doesn't matter who gets it done. I will say I partly agree (horrors) with softy that favoritism is part of the human condition, but that being said, I don't understand the constant need on the part of some posters to focus always, always, always on the negative.  I've got my favorite Sox players like everyone else, but I don't see the purpose in demeaning my non-favorites.
    Posted by Yukon-Cornelius[/QUOTE]

I suspect it has something to do with anonymous-internet psychology.  A sort of squeeky wheel mentality.  Really strange though.  seems at odds with the notion of being a sox fan, but hey, what do i know?  I'm just an astronaut.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

there isnt much to complain about these days...I just hope we play for the division and not just the wild card - thats the only thing that would make me howl at this point - I know our philosophy is to just get into the playoffs but I want to beat the Yanks...'nuff said

good stuff!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Can we apply the same rule to posters?

Almost universally.  Almost.

:o)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Not sure it's my prejudice.  Certainly it's my choice.  Saying it's my prejudice suggests that I am reacting this way without choice or purposeful thought.  That certainly isn't the case.  I am by nature significantly negative, but I choose to work against that.  I choose to entertain positive frames of reference and go from there.

Favoritism ... interesting word.  In spite of my sign on name - and Yaz was a childhood favorite - I find it almost impossible to pick a favorite Red Sox now.  So many I like.  So many I enjoyed watching.  Too many in the past and so many in the present.  I've mentioned that Pedey is my dad's new favorite ... that's really past tense since Dad no longer worries about pennant races where he is.  He certainly was mortal.  92 terrific years, but alas, mortal.

However, you are pointing toward individuals and I am holding out the standard of a team.  Both are singular, if you get my drift.  I am always for the individual Red Sox team member ... and even more so for the entire, the whole, the team.  

The Red Sox are my favorites or rather, the Red Sox IS my favorite.  That is not a grammatical error.   It may sound like it but it is not.  Substitute "team" where Red Sox is the second time and you will see what I mean.

So, yes, I exercise favortisim.  Not for the individual but the whole.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

First: 4/2/2011
    Last: 8/11/2011
    Always a refreshing POV from you Yaz...I agree 100%..Although I have done a little name calling to one certain poster..Nothing bad, but name calling none the less..Ive been following and believing in this team for 35 years. I think we all get down on a guy for a K looking or a dropped ball, but your right yaz, Its a bit too much to constantly keep killing a player whos actually helping the team when you look at the big picture..guys r goiung to have good and bad days..We've been saying this from the start, "there is too much talent on this team" ..If someone is slumping, the next guy picks him up..weve seen it all year..Win as a team and lose as a team..Great post Yaz..

I think you just made my point ....  :o)  Thanks, Southpaw! 

Certain posters WANT us to call them names.  It empowers them.  Of course, I wouldn't do it if I didn't enjoy it ....  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

First: 12/6/2007
    Last: 8/11/2011
    In Response to ">Question: Why is it necessary to put another player or players down when supporting one?:
    This is an anathema to me. Why is it necessary, as is the practice of some, to put down other Red Sox players in an effort to somehow make the player being supported by a poster seem more consequential? It isn't as if the discussions involved are about players on opposing teams.  That would seem natural, even though nasty put downs aren't always a requirement there either.  But it would seem a much better place to say "this guy is better that than guy..." Instead I see over and over one Red Sox member, even those performing extremely well, somehow being used as a negative in balance toward another. Of course this is completely ludicrous when considering how the guys in the club house actually think ... at least with this team.  Jealousy has certainly been a factor in club houses of all sports before, but to their credit, this Red Sox team seems more and more like a single unit as the season rolls on. I also realize some of us have whipping boys.  Especially when things are going poorly.  But now?  Now when so much is going well and so many are doing well, a team that has at least three legitimate MVP candidates, a comeback of the year lock, a blossoming talent in RF and and even more outstanding one in CF, and a star coming into his own in LF.  This team hasn't lost a series since June ... And yet, in the minds of some of the guys on this board, a few really sick guys, the need is there to bash something.  Why?  What kind of a mind says, "Cross out all the good and find something irritating to dig out.  Then throw it in between the teammates of your favorite team.? ... like you think you're building up something when all you're doing is tearing something down. I'm not talking about everyone, not by a long shot.  But what the heck is wrong with the mind that has to bash when things are going ... BETTER THAN ANY OTHER TEAM IN THE LEAGUE AND SECOND BEST IN ALL OF THE MAJORS? Senseless and sick. Especially when a few - maybe one or two - are willing to even bash one MVP candidate so as to make another appear better.  It must really suc k to live in that mind.  It should be a joyous time, but instead all they want is to pull finger nails out of someone .... Again, why is that necessary? Why is it even being practiced?
    Posted by SinceYaz

You are the man, Yaz...and 100% right.  The fact that Softy disagrees with you only makes me that more sure you are correct.

Thanks, Jim.  I know there is a kindred mindset with you.  Some make fun of us for attacking the negative ... which seems negative.  But is we remember our math, two negatives make a positive.    :o)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

That's funny, Danny.

Really.

Brought to mind the forced kindnesses in Southern teas ... 

I married a Southern belle ... got to know a lot about that stuff. 

Hmmm ... I married a belle and she got a dingaling.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Yaz, you said it better than I ever could.  I have been railing against the negativity on this forum for years and sometimes I have to take a break.  It seems those who are negative have more energy.  Baseball, by nature, will end in failure.  You have to get used to that and embrace it.  The stats have to be broken down and new ones created to tell who is good and who is not...and it is a razor thin line.  Many fans think the Sox should be a dynasty.  But what does that mean?  They will lose 60+ games a year and MAYBE win 2 titles in 6 years.  I'd sign for that right now!  But that would be a whole lot of negativity even under that scenario.  The Sox IS (correct grammar) woven into the fabric of my life and so it is more than winning and losing for me.

In 1975, I fell in love with Rice, Lynn, and Evans.  I played outfield like Lynn, had a cannon like Dewey, and hit the wiffle ball like Jim Ed. In 1976 I saw my first game at Fenway and sat right behind the Sox dugout. In 1977, I went to Ted Williams Camp as opposed to closer camps to my NJ home. In 1980, I had to ace the biology exam to avoid being grounded.  I did and was able to go with all my friends to see Rick Dempsey slide around on the tarp.  1986 had me comforting my mom who really thought she would die before a title.  In 2003 I had to comfort my mom and my wife.  Now, the experiences my mom worked hard to give me, I'm passing onto my to my sons.  So, Yaz, the only negativity I experience is on this forum.  My sons know there is always a game tomorrow and that Pedey plays the game the right way.  I love being able to pinpoint benchmarks in my life relative to a Sox memory.  This thing is so much more than wins and loses for me and mine.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Yaz, you said it better than I ever could.  I have been railing against the negativity on this forum for years and sometimes I have to take a break.  It seems those who are negative have more energy.  Baseball, by nature, will end in failure.  You have to get used to that and embrace it.  The stats have to be broken down and new ones created to tell who is good and who is not...and it is a razor thin line.  Many fans think the Sox should be a dynasty.  But what does that mean?  They will lose 60+ games a year and MAYBE win 2 titles in 6 years.  I'd sign for that right now!  But that would be a whole lot of negativity even under that scenario.  The Sox IS (correct grammar) woven into the fabric of my life and so it is more than winning and losing for me. In 1975, I fell in love with Rice, Lynn, and Evans.  I played outfield like Lynn, had a cannon like Dewey, and hit the wiffle ball like Jim Ed. In 1976 I saw my first game at Fenway and sat right behind the Sox dugout. In 1977, I went to Ted Williams Camp as opposed to closer camps to my NJ home. In 1980, I had to ace the biology exam to avoid being grounded.  I did and was able to go with all my friends to see Rick Dempsey slide around on the tarp.  1986 had me comforting my mom who really thought she would die before a title.  In 2003 I had to comfort my mom and my wife.  Now, the experiences my mom worked hard to give me, I'm passing onto my to my sons.  So, Yaz, the only negativity I experience is on this forum.  My sons know there is always a game tomorrow and that Pedey plays the game the right way.  I love being able to pinpoint benchmarks in my life relative to a Sox memory.  This thing is so much more than wins and loses for me and mine.
    Posted by jimdavis[/QUOTE]

Word.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Question: Why is it necessary to put another player or players down when supporting one? : Word.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

It is good to remember the real reason for the Sox love every once in awhile.  Keeps me grounded!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]Yaz, you said it better than I ever could.  I have been railing against the negativity on this forum for years and sometimes I have to take a break.  It seems those who are negative have more energy.  Baseball, by nature, will end in failure.  You have to get used to that and embrace it.  The stats have to be broken down and new ones created to tell who is good and who is not...and it is a razor thin line.  Many fans think the Sox should be a dynasty.  But what does that mean?  They will lose 60+ games a year and MAYBE win 2 titles in 6 years.  I'd sign for that right now!  But that would be a whole lot of negativity even under that scenario.  The Sox IS (correct grammar) woven into the fabric of my life and so it is more than winning and losing for me. In 1975, I fell in love with Rice, Lynn, and Evans.  I played outfield like Lynn, had a cannon like Dewey, and hit the wiffle ball like Jim Ed. In 1976 I saw my first game at Fenway and sat right behind the Sox dugout. In 1977, I went to Ted Williams Camp as opposed to closer camps to my NJ home. In 1980, I had to ace the biology exam to avoid being grounded.  I did and was able to go with all my friends to see Rick Dempsey slide around on the tarp.  1986 had me comforting my mom who really thought she would die before a title.  In 2003 I had to comfort my mom and my wife.  Now, the experiences my mom worked hard to give me, I'm passing onto my to my sons.  So, Yaz, the only negativity I experience is on this forum.  My sons know there is always a game tomorrow and that Pedey plays the game the right way.  I love being able to pinpoint benchmarks in my life relative to a Sox memory.  This thing is so much more than wins and loses for me and mine.

Wow....that may the most thought provoking and deepest post I have ever read on this board. I think your experiences speak for most of us.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Question: Why is it necessary to put another player or players down when supporting one? : Wow....that may the most thought provoking and deepest post I have ever read on this board. I think your experiences speak for most of us.
    Posted by tomnev[/QUOTE]

RThanks, Tom.  I try...most times! Smile

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]Always a refreshing POV from you Yaz...I agree 100%..Although I have done a little name calling to one certain poster..Nothing bad, but name calling none the less..Ive been following and believing in this team for 35 years. I think we all get down on a guy for a K looking or a dropped ball, but your right yaz, Its a bit too much to constantly keep killing a player whos actually helping the team when you look at the big picture..guys r goiung to have good and bad days..We've been saying this from the start, "there is too much talent on this team" ..If someone is slumping, the next guy picks him up..weve seen it all year..Win as a team and lose as a team..Great post Yaz..
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

That's the way it should be.  Next year, Youk might have a down year and Crawford could pick him up.  The guys are all in this together.  Many posters try to tear that apart.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I miss Harvey Keitel.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

rent pulp fiction

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]I miss Harvey Keitel.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

This is for Dannycater!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Question: Why is it necessary to put another player or players down when supporting one? : That's the way it should be.  Next year, Youk might have a down year and Crawford could pick him up.  The guys are all in this together.  Many posters try to tear that apart.

You are dealt this hand / team and you are basically stuck with it for the season. You can choose to root for the players on your team or take the year off and hope that you are dealt a better team next year. Rooting against those who are disappointing isn't going to change anything on the field. It is not a poker game where you can discard and replace half of your cards. The only other motive to complain is to vent or to annoy others, take your pick.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

you got to know when to hold them, and when to fold them...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Question: Why is it necessary to put another player or players down when supporting one? : This is for Dannycater!

all is right in the world, Keitel and DeNiro...thank you