Re: Questions regarding last night's game
posted at 5/7/2013 1:24 PM EDT
In response to dustcover's comment:
1. Was the steal sign on for pinch runner Ciriaco to attempt a steal of third base with two outs, or did he go on his own? (Base Running 101 - Never make the third out of an inning at 3rd base.)
2. With Dempster having gone through an extensive warm up in the bullpen, should the Sox run him out as a starter tonight with an already thin bullpen sans Bailey and Hanrahan, or should they call up a minor league starter for a single appearance as they did with Webster for the double-header recently, thus giving Dempster, Doubront, and Lackey an extra day's rest?
3. When did Webster last pitch for Pawtucket, ie. is he available?
4. Anthony Ranaudo who last pitched on Thursday, May 2nd, for the AA SeaDogs, has a 4-0 record, and an ERA of 1.00 over the last 5 games, and has held opponents to a .169 BA Avg. His fastball is in the mid-90's range and following the 2011 season, he was rated as having the best curveball in the system by Baseball America. Would it be feasible to give him a look-see at this point?
1) With nobody on 1b, the rule of thumb is to run at the crack of the bat. I doubt the steal sign was on. Ciriaco saw 3and2 and probably thought he should run on the pitch. One of the many reasons he is a career AAAA guy. Obviously this is just my opinion.
2) Dempster was just "playing catch" at that point. The catcher wasnt in a squatting like he normally would be, so yes, hes ok to throw tonight. If he wasnt, Aceves was the only available starter since Webster would only be on 3 days rest.
3) see above.
4) He will probably get promoted to AAA before he gets a look in MLB. But all the scouts say that he is just about ready. you can reffer to my thread for some more on that and a few other pitchers in the article I posted.