Questions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Marioguy424. Show Marioguy424's posts

Questions

The Red Sox have the best record in the American League, and are on pace for their best finish since 2008. They have the most productive offense in baseball. They, considering the trading of Tyler Seguin, the implosion and rebuilding of the Celtics, and the Aaron Hernandez trial, are the best hope for Boston Sports at the moment.

However, I am still going to violate the old adage "When the devil is sleeping, let him be," by asking a few questions about their success.

1: This year was supposed to be a bridge year, and we didn't acquire any big-time free agents. How did we go from the worst team in the AL to the best in a flash?

2: As well as Ellsbury and Pedroia have been doing, they seem to have lost power. Pedroia is hitting .325, which would put him on pace for his best average season since 2008, and his .405 OBP is the best he's ever had. Likewise, Ellsbury's .303 is the second best he's ever had, and his 33 steals lead the AL. However, Ellsbury's 2 homeruns put him on pace for a mere 4, which would be the worst total he has ever posted in a full season, and Pedroia's 5 put him on pace for around 10, which would be his worst total since 2007, when he hit 7. That even includes 2010, when he hit 12 homeruns in half a season. Why do you think their power numbers are down, and do you think they will heat it up in the second half?
     (Note: "Bellsbury" bashers, stay away!)

3:  This is an honest, deal-with-the-facts question. When is Buchholz slated to come back? (Please tell me I spelled his name right.)

4: Back to opinions! Until Buchholz comes back, we will need to rely on a makeshift ace to hold down opposing teams' bats enough to ensure that we can bludgeon them with our league-leading offense. Now, here is the question: who do you think will function as "acting ace": the magical- E.R.A.- below- 2 John Lackey, or a rebounding Jon Lester? If you can somehow argue someone else, feel free, but I do not foresee any species of Internet User other than a Troll arguing that.

5: How much of a positive influence has John Farrell had on the Sox, and how much of Valentine's negative influence contributed to the Sox finishing in last in 2012?

6: Everyone agrees that a deadline acquisition would help the Sox in a tight Al East. The question is, what do we need more: a reliever to fix a hurting bullpen, or a bat at third base so we can move Iglesias to short and finally get rid of the hole at short which has existed since Drew stopped performing. Michael Young and the previous Red Sock Jonathan Papelbon, in particular, have come up in trade conversation, and they are both on a sinking Philadelphia team. This is my question: which of these two would you want to acquire at the deadline, and who would you be willing to ship to Philadelphia in order to acquire them?

7: This is the big one, which has only been proposed by the trolls on this board but is a legitamite question:

HOW is David Ortiz performing so well? I am tempted to say that he is using HGH, but I don't know how that could improve your average. His age 37 performance is better than his age 32, 33, and perhaps even age 34 performances. Do you think he is using PEDs? If not, what is causing his 2007-like performance?

I have two rules for this thread: remain civil, and DON'T FEED THE TROLLS.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Re: Questions

In response to Marioguy424's comment:

The Red Sox have the best record in the American League, and are on pace for their best finish since 2008. They have the most productive offense in baseball. They, considering the trading of Tyler Seguin, the implosion and rebuilding of the Celtics, and the Aaron Hernandez trial, are the best hope for Boston Sports at the moment.

However, I am still going to violate the old adage "When the devil is sleeping, let him be," by asking a few questions about their success.

1: This year was supposed to be a bridge year, and we didn't acquire any big-time free agents. How did we go from the worst team in the AL to the best in a flash?  

I'll take a shot...

2013 wasn't necessarily a "bridge" year.  You'll never hear a baseball executive use that term again.  The Front Office knew that they had the core talent to be able to get to the playoffs where anything can happen.  They needed to clean up the clubhouse and bring in the "right players," while also keeping the "future" intact.  They obviously did a terrific job.  There weren't any big name free agents they had a lot of interest in.  Zero mutual interest in Greinke and once the Sanchez & Hamilton numbers got to a certain level, they were out.  Some people think that there isn't a GM in baseball who would have given Hamilton that deal (Angels owner Artie Moreno negotiated that one).  

2: As well as Ellsbury and Pedroia have been doing, they seem to have lost power. Pedroia is hitting .325, which would put him on pace for his best average season since 2008, and his .405 OBP is the best he's ever had. Likewise, Ellsbury's .303 is the second best he's ever had, and his 33 steals lead the AL. However, Ellsbury's 2 homeruns put him on pace for a mere 4, which would be the worst total he has ever posted in a full season, and Pedroia's 5 put him on pace for around 10, which would be his worst total since 2007, when he hit 7. That even includes 2010, when he hit 12 homeruns in half a season. Why do you think their power numbers are down, and do you think they will heat it up in the second half?

Homeruns are down throughout the game.  I think there are several factors attributed to this.

3:  This is an honest, deal-with-the-facts question. When is Buchholz slated to come back? (Please tell me I spelled his name right.)

Not sure.  They are not going to rush him back and they don't need to.  It looks like they are going to be serious contenders this year, so having a healthy Buchholz with a lot of gas in the tank for September/October can't hurt. 

4: Back to opinions! Until Buchholz comes back, we will need to rely on a makeshift ace to hold down opposing teams' bats enough to ensure that we can bludgeon them with our league-leading offense. Now, here is the question: who do you think will function as "acting ace": the magical- E.R.A.- below- 2 John Lackey, or a rebounding Jon Lester? If you can somehow argue someone else, feel free, but I do not foresee any species of Internet User other than a Troll arguing that.

Pitching "slots" are overrated and fairly meaningless after Opening Day until the post season.  Their rotation has been excellent overall.  

5: How much of a positive influence has John Farrell had on the Sox, and how much of Valentine's negative influence contributed to the Sox finishing in last in 2012?

Farrell is well respected throughout the game while Valentine lost the Clubhouse before they left Fort Myers.  Both managers have or had strong influences for very different reasons.

6: Everyone agrees that a deadline acquisition would help the Sox in a tight Al East. The question is, what do we need more: a reliever to fix a hurting bullpen, or a bat at third base so we can move Iglesias to short and finally get rid of the hole at short which has existed since Drew stopped performing. Michael Young and the previous Red Sock Jonathan Papelbon, in particular, have come up in trade conversation, and they are both on a sinking Philadelphia team. This is my question: which of these two would you want to acquire at the deadline, and who would you be willing to ship to Philadelphia in order to acquire them?

I would be very surprised if the Sox brought in any of the Philly guys & just as surprised if they don't acquire some bullpen help.  Barring injury, I doubt they do much else, unless they move Drew. 

7: This is the big one, which has only been proposed by the trolls on this board but is a legitamite question:

HOW is David Ortiz performing so well? I am tempted to say that he is using HGH, but I don't know how that could improve your average. His age 37 performance is better than his age 32, 33, and perhaps even age 34 performances. Do you think he is using PEDs? If not, what is causing his 2007-like performance?

He's healthy, he's adjusted his approach (Attributed to Adrian Gonzalez) and he still has terrific bat speed.  He hasn't seen many pitches lately, so hopefully Napoli goes on a tear soon.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

1. Season's only half over, there is still time for this team to take a step back and not be the "best."

2.I hate "on pace" estimates. They always assume that everything is in total synch, when it is not. A pitcher strikes out the side in the first, he is "on pace" for 27 strikeouts in a complete game. He ends up with 6 over 6 innings.....most things in the game just do not average out.

3. Soon and yes on the spelling.

4. Ace by committee.

5. Farrell has brains, Valentine was a clown. Hope that answers your question.

6. I don't want Papelbon back. I would rather they didn't get a "knee jerk" reaction to success and start dealing away the future.

7. Ortiz is a good hitter. He makes adjustments well. I think he learned alot from his time with Manny , who was great at adjusting to pitchers. Ortiz does not have to take fielding practice , all he has to do is hit.

"There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory.-Josh Billings

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Despite what some have stated they brought in guys who were consistent and good guys. having a calm clubhouse and friendly is IMHO better than what we have had for the past two years.

I really do not care about power in the sense of HRs but am in regards to doubles and triples and stealing bases. A HR creates one run two doubles does the same and usually makes the pitcher work more. So if they hit more big deal. I like them getting on and stealing creating issues for the whole defense of the other team. Their team speed which is not great like old Tampa teams but it is able to do things I have never seen any RS team ever do in my life time.

From what I have seen after AS game which has not been a problem as we have been seeing.

Again IMHO you do not need an ACE you need 5 guys who can get you thru 6 innings and every once in awhile 7 or 8. Lackey, Lester, Doubrant, Aceves/Webster and Demps fill that bill. When Clay get back whom ever goes to the BP gives us a good long guy on those days we need him.

As stated above a calm friendly clubhouse is a great thing. Being able to come to work every day and know there is drama is a very good thing as we all know from our own expirences.

IMHO we need a SP Lee would be good but so would Garza. Closer would be good as well Paps or ??? I really do not see the need for a 3rd baseman. We do not have a hole at SS as Drew has only 3 Es all year and his hitting has been lacking but not all that bad lately. We also have Snyder and Middy and I think they can do the job. As for Iggy the issue maybe when will he have a bad stretch. Does anyone really think he can continue hitting 400 for the rest of the year? God I hope so but ????

I do not believe he is that stupid. He has way too much to lose. I can not put him in a category with those we know have used them. I believe he is proving something to all of us and I think the hitting coach has helped him and every one  on the team.

Civil enoughInnocent

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

A) We weren't really the worst team in terms of talent.

B) We spent a huge amount of Free agents- just not "big time" ones.

C) Lackey, Iggy, Nava, Carp, and other surprises.

(Note: "Bellsbury" bashers, stay away!)e

Maybe they are just concentrating on getting on base.  Maybe it's just a fluke.

I'm not sure even his doctor knows. The Sox will play it safe, since amazingly we haven't missed a beat since he went down.

Lackey is our stopper and ace right now. Jon has a lot to prove to win back that title.

I do not think the manager makes as much a difference as many here do, but in this case, I think the change is a significant factor in the turn around.

Neither. Michael Young is not better than Drew vs RHPs (65% of our games) and is a bad fielder. Papelbon will cost too much, and I have always felt that the closer position is over-valued. I'd like to find a cheaper pen option or maybe make a play for A Ramirez at 3B.

He was bothered by injuries in his down years, so the uptick may be just a return to health. He's a pure hitter, who has learned from experience. I also think having men on base in front of him has helped, and naps has made the opps pay after intentionally walking Papi.

Starving trolls are dangerous too!

Sox4ever

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

No this year was supposed to be a year where they changed the culture of the clubhouse. They signed "baseball players" instead of diva's and we we're the worst last year that distition belomng to the Astro's, we were depleted by injuries in the second half or they likely would've been at worst .500 club...

Not sure that it's a big deal one way or the other....both are playing well

Not sure but my guess will be after the All Star break...I think you spelled his name correctly, but I don't get hung up on that "I know" who you're referring to...

Right now Lackey's pitching the best of the group, not sure we need an ace. We need quality starts and innings for the rotation...

Huge...Valentine was part of the problem, Farrel is part of the solution....

I'd take Young, he's a pro's pro and would fit the current profile of players...I'd pass on Papelbon because he was part of the problem that created the culture which led to the dimise of the 2011-2012 teams...

The answer to the question is yes, I don't think he and/or most of the players ever stopped completely using...

As for his recent turnaround to me it's not related to drug use. but rather he finally made an adjustment and has started hitting the ball where it's pitched vs trying to pull the ball....

rules are made to be broken......

7. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts