Quit Dreamin- this 2012 Sox edition blows!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Quit Dreamin- this 2012 Sox edition blows!!

You up for a good cyber-wager Moon? Something fun of course.

What's your offer?

(I won't change my avatar)

Maybe if I am wrong, I'll promise to do a long positive post on Yankee greatness. If you lose, you can think of something.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In Response to Re: Quit Dreamin- this 2012 Sox edition blows!!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Quit Dreamin- this 2012 Sox edition blows!! : A lot of research went into that thread. It was directly related to the Sox 2012 season. I didn't save any of my info. :(
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

That's unreal. The Yankee fans had Truefan threads up about complete nonsense for what seemed like forever here. Something is wrong with this picture. The Yankees are our biggest rival. It totally matters if they're not going to do well. And you had a ton of information up, which was why I thought I'd read most of it today.

The Yankee fans were probably uncomfortable with having to be "real" about their OWN team for a change. I still cannot believe Yankee fans have so much power here. I have a feeling who was behind it, though. That's really a disgrace, and the Yankee fans here should be ashamed of themselves since they must have been crying about it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]You up for a good cyber-wager Moon? Something fun of course. What's your offer? (I won't change my avatar) Maybe if I am wrong, I'll promise to do a long positive post on Yankee greatness. If you lose, you can think of something.

It shouldn't be a thread, Moon, because that's completely unfair.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Quit Dreamin- this 2012 Sox edition blows!! : Please tell me that "This is the year of the "Yank Tank" is going to be your next thread.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

Yank Tank!  Yank Tank!  Yank Tank!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Steve Beckley's article is a wicked downer today....someone tell him it's spring training....i was impressed by this photo:

Josh running and I SEE NO GUT!!!!!!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxRuleTheRoost. Show SoxRuleTheRoost's posts

Seems like we could wait until after spring training, and after April to not only see where we are but where the competition is before we start lambasting the Red Sox.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Quit Dreamin- this 2012 Sox edition blows!!:
    [QUOTE]Boston fans are being taken for fools..This team is GONNA STINK!! Old broken down players - see Youk, Papi, Beckett, every pitcher picked up off the scrap heap. A lineup that does not match up against any other contending team, poor pitching, lost Paps.. can you say 4th place ? bank on it!! Now Sox are playing CHEAPSKATES!! give me a break- charge so much money for a seat yet they are not putting the best possible team out on the field because of MONEY ISSUES ?
    Posted by cactusTony[/QUOTE]

The Sox were forced into a quiet off season because of previous signings like Lackey, Jenks and CC.  They also did the correct thing by not trading Youk or another key player until we see how this season pans out. 

Our team simply wasn't prepared on the pitching front last season even though it may have looked differently going in.  With that said we have replaced players we lost with adequate talent and are once again taking a chance, but seem to have a bit more depth on the pitching staff if Bard can fit nicely in the rotation.  The Sox still have one of the best teams in baseball if we can limit injuries and play the way we are capable of.  If not, then we will begin to see the trade talk but for now lets just see what we really have.

After the past two seasons I'm sure a lot of die hard Sox fans are skeptical going into 2012 but the team as a whole is pretty good.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

In Response to Quit Dreamin- this 2012 Sox edition blows!!:
    [QUOTE]Boston fans are being taken for fools..This team is GONNA STINK!! Old broken down players - see Youk, Papi, Beckett, every pitcher picked up off the scrap heap. A lineup that does not match up against any other contending team, poor pitching, lost Paps.. can you say 4th place ? bank on it!! Now Sox are playing CHEAPSKATES!! give me a break- charge so much money for a seat yet they are not putting the best possible team out on the field because of MONEY ISSUES ?
    Posted by cactusTony[/QUOTE]

Obvious Troll, look at his posts

http://www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=047ffc0d32f8d86b5ff0cb93e07d2a89&plckUserId=047ffc0d32f8d86b5ff0cb93e07d2a89

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

[QUOTE]Too many things have to go right in order for the 2012 Sox to be considered for the playoffs.    Suspect pitching, SS, right field and no depth coming from the farm system.    This is clearly a transitional year exept for those with rose colored glasses. The 100th anniversity of Ye Olde Ballpark will be the main feature.
    Posted by OnDeckCircle[/QUOTE]

Glad to see someone saying what I've been saying on two other boards the past month.  Yes, the Red Sox could rebound and even win the AL East Division, BUT JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING HAS TO GO RIGHT FOR THEM TO ACCOMPLISH THIS.  It means to me that our "Big Three" moundsmen, Beckett, Lester and Buchholz have to pitch their as@es off and win big.  It means that either our No. 4 or No. 5 starter has to emerge as a successful pitcher, and that means Aceves or Bard or Padilla.  The starters have to go deeper into games this season so the bullpen is not gassed by August.  On the attack Crawford and Youkilis must come back with big seasons and the guys who hit well last year must do it again.

No, not everything has to turn out right for us to win the division and go on deep into the post-season, but a large percentage of it must take place.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Quit Dreamin- this 2012 Sox edition blows!! : Glad to see someone saying what I've been saying on two other boards the past month.  Yes, the Red Sox could rebound and even win the AL East Division, BUT JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING HAS TO GO RIGHT FOR THEM TO ACCOMPLISH THIS.  It means to me that our "Big Three" moundsmen, Beckett, Lester and Buchholz have to pitch their as@es off and win big.  It means that either our No. 4 or No. 5 starter has to emerge as a successful pitcher, and that means Aceves or Bard or Padilla.  The starters have to go deeper into games this season so the bullpen is not gassed by August.  On the attack Crawford and Youkilis must come back with big seasons and the guys who hit well last year must do it again. No, not everything has to turn out right for us to win the division and go on deep into the post-season, but a large percentage of it must take place.
    Posted by seabeachfred[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily.

Tampa barely edged the Sox alst year and needed 162 gmes to do it.  Their off-season has been status quo.  (While I agree Scott and Pena are better hitters than Kotchman and Damon, they are not necessarily better than the TB pair was last year.)

So what if the Yankees have a run of injury like the Sox have had for the past 2 years?  That would take them down, and things don't have to all be so perfect for Boston.

Point being, everyone thinks this sport is so predictable, and yet the reality is it is not...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

We are actually a very solid team, and I would say historically one of the very best Red Sox teams ever...certainly top 20. But the problem is sooo many teams in the American League have improved this year, either by getting injured players back, adding via free agency, maturing from within, or through trades. We've stayed about the same level talent wise, and I think we're going to have trouble making the playoffs this year. We're good enough that should other teams falter and luck runs our way, we COULD sneak in. But I doubt we'd be much of a threat to Detroit/Yanks/Angels/Rangers in a playoff series. I predict Detroit will win a shockingly high 105 games this year, and win it all. The Yanks/ Rangers/Angels will all win around 97. We'll get sniped at from our improved lessor rivals Jays, Orioles, et al and should win around 90 games. I'm guessing the Rays win around 90 also, and will be playing golf with us in October. The wild card will come from the west this season. I'm already thinking lustfully about 2013 and about our chances to upgrade the team. Henry and the boys better be ready to spend LIBERALLY in 2013, or the Nation will not react well. If we play our cards right and add the right guys, could have a World Series contender for at least 3-4 yrs. Think dynasty! I'm going to enjoy watching games in 2012, don't get me wrong. But this is how I see things shaking out.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I see us as out of the playoffs this year, but then again I thought last year's team was overrated going in, so I can hope that this time I am wrong. 

I'm biased because I was expecting top down organizational changes and recommitment in the offseason and instead I saw budget trimming/penny pinching, and scapegoating (Francona) of deeper problems that went beyond him, though he was a part of it. Right now my feeling is that ownership is committed to being good (good enough to keep ratings and sales up), but isn't "all in". Perhaps that the Yankees couldn't get it done either reduces the pressure. I get the feeling another season out of the playoffs, followed by ratings dives etc will be needed to prod this thing in a better direction. but again, hope I'm wrong! 

I hope I'm wrong and that the team feels rejuvinated by the new manager and chance to redeem. One thing I do know: the team, playing up to its full potential, can make the postseason. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Sox were forced into a quiet off season because of previous signings like Lackey, Jenks and CC.  They also did the correct thing by not trading Youk or another key player until we see how this season pans out.  

Remember also that AGon and Buch were extended in April 2011. That is actually where almost all of this winter's money went.

Our team simply wasn't prepared on the pitching front last season even though it may have looked differently going in.  

It's hard to prepare for your 3 and 4 starters going down for most of the season, including the whole second half, as well as your 5th starter pitching hurt and horribly all year, and your 6/7th starter (Doubront) out as well.

With that said we have replaced players we lost with adequate talent and are once again taking a chance, but seem to have a bit more depth on the pitching staff if Bard can fit nicely in the rotation.  The Sox still have one of the best teams in baseball if we can limit injuries and play the way we are capable of.  If not, then we will begin to see the trade talk but for now lets just see what we really have.

Health is the big key this year, as always. Look at 2004 & 2007 and how many starters our top 5 guys got, then compare those amounts to 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011.

After the past two seasons I'm sure a lot of die hard Sox fans are skeptical going into 2012 but the team as a whole is pretty good.

It's the same offense, but with an upgrade in RF.
    It's about the same staff minus Paps and Lackey, but plus Bailey & Melancon.
    Lots of questions for sure, but lots of reasons to be optimistic as well.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Quit Dreamin- this 2012 Sox edition blows!!:
    In Response to Re: Quit Dreamin- this 2012 Sox edition blows!! : Glad to see someone saying what I've been saying on two other boards the past month.  Yes, the Red Sox could rebound and even win the AL East Division, BUT JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING HAS TO GO RIGHT FOR THEM TO ACCOMPLISH THIS.  It means to me that our "Big Three" moundsmen, Beckett, Lester and Buchholz have to pitch their as@es off and win big.  It means that either our No. 4 or No. 5 starter has to emerge as a successful pitcher, and that means Aceves or Bard or Padilla.  The starters have to go deeper into games this season so the bullpen is not gassed by August.  On the attack Crawford and Youkilis must come back with big seasons and the guys who hit well last year must do it again. No, not everything has to turn out right for us to win the division and go on deep into the post-season, but a large percentage of it must take place.
    Posted by seabeachfred

Not necessarily.

Tampa barely edged the Sox alst year and needed 162 gmes to do it.  Their off-season has been status quo.  (While I agree Scott and Pena are better hitters than Kotchman and Damon, they are not necessarily better than the TB pair was last year.)

So what if the Yankees have a run of injury like the Sox have had for the past 2 years?  That would take them down, and things don't have to all be so perfect for Boston.

Point being, everyone thinks this sport is so predictable, and yet the reality is it is not...

You are so right, but I do think TB improved "on paper" more than just with Scott and Pena over Kotch/Damon...

1) 90+ more games from Desmond Jennings which allows Zobrist to play 2B and Sean Rodriguez SS, thereby upgrading 3 positions from 2011.

2) For once thay have a stable and near fully-returning bullpen. (If newly signed Fernando Rodney overachieves this management team must be geniuses at evaluating marginal pen arms that always seem to do well with TB (and many go back to pitching poorly once they leave.)
    Farnsworth
    Peralta
    Howell
    Rodney
    McGee
    Gomes
    Ramos
    Badenhop
    Lueke
    (plus the 2 losers in the race for the final 2 slots in the rotation: WDavis, Nieman, Moore or Cobb. Cobb will probably start in AAA.)

3) Maybe 120 to 150 more IP from Matt Moore.

4) Maybe 80+ more IP from Alex Cobb (if needed).

5) Better bench: Sam Fuld 4th OF'er, Keppinger & Brignac utility IF'ers. 

6) Many players entering their prime years: Price, Davis, Niemann, Howell, Ramos, Gomes, Longoria, Joyce, Upton, Rodriguez as well as players in the middle of their prime: Shields & Zobrist.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm already thinking lustfully about 2013 and about our chances to upgrade the team. Henry and the boys better be ready to spend LIBERALLY in 2013, or the Nation will not react well. If we play our cards right and add the right guys, could have a World Series contender for at least 3-4 yrs. Think dynasty! I'm going to enjoy watching games in 2012, don't get me wrong. But this is how I see things shaking out.

I am not writing off this year, but I share your optimism about 2013 and beyond.
    Contracts lost next winter:
    Papi     $14.575M
    Dice-K  $10.333M ($8.67M Luxury Tax Amount)
    Jenks   $6M
    Cody    $3M
    Shopp  $1.35M__
    Total:  $35M+  ($33M Luxury tax)

There's the Youk option $13M or $1M Buyout.

There will be arb or pre-arb raises:
    Ellsbury 3rd out of 3.  (Could go from $8.05M to ??? $12-18M)
    Bailey  2nd of 3 arbs. ($3.9M to ??? $5-8M)
    Salty   3rd of 3 arbs. ($2.5M to ??? $3-7M)
    Sween 3rd of 3 arbs ($1.75M to ??? $2-4M)
    Aceves 2nd of 3 arbs ($1.2M to ??? $2-5M)
    Aviles 2nd or 3. ($1.2M > ???)
    Tazawa 1st of 4, Albers 4th of 4, Miller 2nd of 3, Morales 2nd of 3, Bard 2nd of 4, and DMac 1st of 3.

It's easy to imagine $10-$16M more here, even if we let some go (DMac? Albers? Miller?)

I'm assuming we keep Youk and maybe move him to DH or Part time DH with maybe Lava to replace Papi. So, after arb raises, we should have about $17-23M to spend on free agents to fill these gaps:

C:   Salty/ Lava (DH)
    1B: AGon
    2B: Pedey
    3B: Youk (DH)/Aviles/Punto/Middlebrooks
    SS: Iggy/Aviles/Punto
    LF: Craw
    CF: Ellsb
    RF: (FREE AGENT) or Sween/Kalish

SP1: Beckett
    SP2: Lester
    SP3: (FREE AGENT) or Doubront/AWilson/Mortensen
    SP4: Buch
    SP5: Bard
    SP6: Doubront/Wilson/Mortensen

Clsr: Bailey
    RP2: Melancon
    RP3: Aceves
    RP4: Morales
    RP5: Albers
    RP6: Tazawa/Bowden

Or, we could get a SS, C,  or let Youk walk and get a 3Bman or DH.

Possible 2013 FAs:
    * includes option

SP:
    M Cain
    Greinke
    Guthrie
    Hamels
    A Sanchez
    Marcum
    Lohse
    Shields*
    D Haren*
    Floyd*
    E Santana

RF:
    Ethier
    Hamilton
    Quentin
    Suzuki
    BJ Upton
    Bourn
    Granderson*
    T Hunter

SS:
    Bartlett*
    S Drew*

C:
    McCann*
    Naploi
    Martin
    Montero
    Torrealba

3B:
    Wright*
    Reynolds*

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Excellent research as always Moonslav! I'd also add the intriguing...if equally scary...possibility of Franscisco Liriano as a starter. He's got this season to either get healthy, figure out how to command his fastball to cut down on his obscene walk totals, or both. If he can pull it together he'd be a possibility as a starter also. His winter baseball numbers have NOT been encouraging though!! Cole Hamels could anchor this club for years the way Roy Halliday should have. It would make ammends for the single worst failure of this organization in a decade, the stupidity of not signing Halliday when he was available and willing to come here. It still offends my sensibilities that we let him fall to the Phils because some sabermetric voodoo crap told Theo Lackey would be almost as good, for a few million less per year. BAH!!!! It's THE signature failed decision of our former amateurish GM. But I digress...I also think a certain man named Hamilton could be a nice fit in RF. He's literally this generations Babe Ruth...in all ways possible. If he can keep away from the hooch he could be a stud for another 20yrs. He's certainly worth a 6yr deal. I think Matt Cain will not be resigned by San Fransisco. He's becomming annoyed at their low ball offers, and he's already given them 1 "hometown discount". He'd look good in a Sox uni also. So many possibilities...and we haven't even talked Japan yet!! **Wink**

[QUOTE]I'm already thinking lustfully about 2013 and about our chances to upgrade the team. Henry and the boys better be ready to spend LIBERALLY in 2013, or the Nation will not react well. If we play our cards right and add the right guys, could have a World Series contender for at least 3-4 yrs. Think dynasty! I'm going to enjoy watching games in 2012, don't get me wrong. But this is how I see things shaking out. I am not writing off this year, but I share your optimism about 2013 and beyond. Contracts lost next winter: Papi     $14.575M Dice-K  $10.333M ($8.67M Luxury Tax Amount) Jenks   $6M Cody    $3M Shopp  $1.35M__ Total:  $35M+  ($33M Luxury tax) There's the Youk option $13M or $1M Buyout. There will be arb or pre-arb raises: Ellsbury 3rd out of 3.  (Could go from $8.05M to ??? $12-18M) Bailey  2nd of 3 arbs. ($3.9M to ??? $5-8M) Salty   3rd of 3 arbs. ($2.5M to ??? $3-7M) Sween 3rd of 3 arbs ($1.75M to ??? $2-4M) Aceves 2nd of 3 arbs ($1.2M to ??? $2-5M) Aviles 2nd or 3. ($1.2M /> ???) Tazawa 1st of 4, Albers 4th of 4, Miller 2nd of 3, Morales 2nd of 3, Bard 2nd of 4, and DMac 1st of 3. It's easy to imagine $10-$16M more here, even if we let some go (DMac? Albers? Miller?) I'm assuming we keep Youk and maybe move him to DH or Part time DH with maybe Lava to replace Papi. So, after arb raises, we should have about $17-23M to spend on free agents to fill these gaps : C:   Salty/ Lava (DH) 1B: AGon 2B: Pedey 3B: Youk (DH)/Aviles/Punto/Middlebrooks SS: Iggy/Aviles/Punto LF: Craw CF: Ellsb RF: (FREE AGENT) or Sween/Kalish SP1: Beckett SP2: Lester SP3: (FREE AGENT) or Doubront/AWilson/Mortensen SP4: Buch SP5: Bard SP6: Doubront/Wilson/Mortensen Clsr: Bailey RP2: Melancon RP3: Aceves RP4: Morales RP5: Albers RP6: Tazawa/Bowden Or, we could get a SS, C,  or let Youk walk and get a 3Bman or DH. Possible 2013 FAs: * includes option SP: M Cain Greinke Guthrie Hamels A Sanchez Marcum Lohse Shields* D Haren* Floyd* E Santana RF: Ethier Hamilton Quentin Suzuki BJ Upton Bourn Granderson* T Hunter SS: Bartlett* S Drew* C: McCann* Naploi Martin Montero Torrealba 3B: Wright* Reynolds*

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

[QUOTE]I'm already thinking lustfully about 2013 and about our chances to upgrade the team. Henry and the boys better be ready to spend LIBERALLY in 2013, or the Nation will not react well. If we play our cards right and add the right guys, could have a World Series contender for at least 3-4 yrs. Think dynasty! I'm going to enjoy watching games in 2012, don't get me wrong. But this is how I see things shaking out. I am not writing off this year, but I share your optimism about 2013 and beyond. Contracts lost next winter: Papi     $14.575M Dice-K  $10.333M ($8.67M Luxury Tax Amount) Jenks   $6M Cody    $3M Shopp  $1.35M__ Total:  $35M+  ($33M Luxury tax) There's the Youk option $13M or $1M Buyout. There will be arb or pre-arb raises: Ellsbury 3rd out of 3.  (Could go from $8.05M to ??? $12-18M) Bailey  2nd of 3 arbs. ($3.9M to ??? $5-8M) Salty   3rd of 3 arbs. ($2.5M to ??? $3-7M) Sween 3rd of 3 arbs ($1.75M to ??? $2-4M) Aceves 2nd of 3 arbs ($1.2M to ??? $2-5M) Aviles 2nd or 3. ($1.2M /> ???) Tazawa 1st of 4, Albers 4th of 4, Miller 2nd of 3, Morales 2nd of 3, Bard 2nd of 4, and DMac 1st of 3. It's easy to imagine $10-$16M more here, even if we let some go (DMac? Albers? Miller?) I'm assuming we keep Youk and maybe move him to DH or Part time DH with maybe Lava to replace Papi. So, after arb raises, we should have about $17-23M to spend on free agents to fill these gaps : C:   Salty/ Lava (DH) 1B: AGon 2B: Pedey 3B: Youk (DH)/Aviles/Punto/Middlebrooks SS: Iggy/Aviles/Punto LF: Craw CF: Ellsb RF: (FREE AGENT) or Sween/Kalish SP1: Beckett SP2: Lester SP3: (FREE AGENT) or Doubront/AWilson/Mortensen SP4: Buch SP5: Bard SP6: Doubront/Wilson/Mortensen Clsr: Bailey RP2: Melancon RP3: Aceves RP4: Morales RP5: Albers RP6: Tazawa/Bowden Or, we could get a SS, C,  or let Youk walk and get a 3Bman or DH. Possible 2013 FAs: * includes option SP: M Cain Greinke Guthrie Hamels A Sanchez Marcum Lohse Shields* D Haren* Floyd* E Santana RF: Ethier Hamilton Quentin Suzuki BJ Upton Bourn Granderson* T Hunter SS: Bartlett* S Drew* C: McCann* Naploi Martin Montero Torrealba 3B: Wright* Reynolds*
    Interesting analysis...the only things I would add is that Lackey wasn't mentioned...maybe by design. The Sox have him signed for a significant amount of money, I hope they can get some good out of it. Far as Ortiz goes I don't think the Sox will offer him arbitration even if he has a good year and if they want to resign him they will just match or beat anyone. Youk will have to have a healthy, strong season for the Sox to pick up that option at least IMHO, he has been injury prone the last couple of seasons and it might be smarter to buy him out for the million and either let him go or try to sign him to a smaller contract. Far as this season goes I'm optimistic...last year we basically lost 3 of our starting 5 and still won 90 games. Last year NY had an almost perfect year...everything went right for them...they got a lot of innings out of Colon, Garcia, Burnett and Nova. CC  won 19 games but everytime I saw him against the Sox I wasn't that impressed, I guess he was light's out everywhere else but I'm hoping he is starting a decline. NY's bullpen was also lights out...they lose Soriano to injury and Robertson steps up to have an unreal season...and Mo...he just keeps getting better...I think your right...there is something in the water in Yankee stadium...at least in the home dugout.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

I think the Sox are looking good - they just need starters 1 - 3, to have years that they are capable of having and they will be in the playoffs.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

For me Beckett's showing up early is a HUGE sign. The guy is as stubborn as a rock, and I would have predicted he'd come exactly on time so as not to appear he was bending to public pressure. Let's hope he can stay healthy and keep what appears to be a positive attitude going forward!

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Quit Dreamin- this 2012 Sox edition blows!! : I see no sweat either, on any of the Pitchers.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Excellent research as always Moonslav! I'd also add the intriguing...if equally scary...possibility of Franscisco Liriano as a starter. He's got this season to either get healthy, figure out how to command his fastball to cut down on his obscene walk totals, or both. If he can pull it together he'd be a possibility as a starter also. His winter baseball numbers have NOT been encouraging though!! Cole Hamels could anchor this club for years the way Roy Halliday should have. It would make ammends for the single worst failure of this organization in a decade, the stupidity of not signing Halliday when he was available and willing to come here. It still offends my sensibilities that we let him fall to the Phils because some sabermetric voodoo crap told Theo Lackey would be almost as good, for a few million less per year. BAH!!!! It's THE signature failed decision of our former amateurish GM. But I digress...I also think a certain man named Hamilton could be a nice fit in RF. He's literally this generations Babe Ruth...in all ways possible. If he can keep away from the hooch he could be a stud for another 20yrs. He's certainly worth a 6yr deal. I think Matt Cain will not be resigned by San Fransisco. He's becomming annoyed at their low ball offers, and he's already given them 1 "hometown discount". He'd look good in a Sox uni also. So many possibilities...and we haven't even talked Japan yet!! **Wink** In Response to Re: Quit Dreamin- this 2012 Sox edition blows!! :
    Posted by Teakus[/QUOTE]

I love Cain. He's my number 1 target for 2013 as of now.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Interesting analysis...the only things I would add is that Lackey wasn't mentioned...maybe by design. The Sox have him signed for a significant amount of money, I hope they can get some good out of it. Far as Ortiz goes I don't think the Sox will offer him arbitration even if he has a good year and if they want to resign him they will just match or beat anyone.  

I think Papi is gone after this year no matter what (unless nobody offers him more than $7=8M or so.)

Youk will have to have a healthy, strong season for the Sox to pick up that option at least IMHO, he has been injury prone the last couple of seasons and it might be smarter to buy him out for the million and either let him go or try to sign him to a smaller contract.  

I could see Youk getting his walking papers, but I think if they were willing to pay Papi $12.5M , they'd pay the much needed RH'd bat the same. 

Far as this season goes I'm optimistic...last year we basically lost 3 of our starting 5 and still won 90 games. 

Think of it this way:

We actually lost 52 starts from our starting 5 that were replaced by:

Wake    23  5.12/1.358

Miller    12  5.54/1.815

Bedard   8  4.03/1.553

Weiland 5  7.66/1.662

Aceves   4  5.14/1.571 (as a starter)

Plus, we got maybe about 34 starts from pitchers probably pitching while injured:

28 Lackey

2 Beckett

2 Bedard

2 Dice-K 

That's maybe about half our games effected by starting pitching injuries! WOW! 

Last year NY had an almost perfect year...everything went right for them...they got a lot of innings out of Colon, Garcia, Burnett and Nova. CC  won 19 games but everytime I saw him against the Sox I wasn't that impressed, I guess he was light's out everywhere else but I'm hoping he is starting a decline. NY's bullpen was also lights out...they lose Soriano to injury and Robertson steps up to have an unreal season...and Mo...he just keeps getting better...I think your right...there is something in the water in Yankee stadium...at least in the home dugout. 

Except Soriano drinks only Gatorade.   LOL!

The Yanks luck or better conditioning has been amazing for several years:

2011: 5 starters with 25+ starts, Hughs with 14, and 5 from others.

2010: 5 starters with 21+ starts (3 with 29+), 9 Mosely, 7 Nova, & Mitre

2009: 4 starters with 31+ starts, 9 Mitre & Wang, 7 Hughes, & 6 Gaudin

2008: Their "bad luck year" with 13 different starters (6 with 1-15 starts)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]Steve Beckley's article is a wicked downer today....someone tell him it's spring training....i was impressed by this photo: Josh running and I SEE NO GUT!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Just what we need, another new negative troll. 
    Move to NYC and become a Yankee fan. They really need people like you. 

Georom, 

Sorry I called you a troll in my last post above. I cancelled the post except for the above. For once you've actually said a few positives. Please keep the good side of your points of view on the board and contribute in a positive way. I know there are players you don't like but whether or not you like these players they are on the roster and deserve our support going into the season.  

Regards, 
    Hetchinspete

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Quit Dreamin- this 2012 Sox edition blows!! : Glad to see someone saying what I've been saying on two other boards the past month.  Yes, the Red Sox could rebound and even win the AL East Division, BUT JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING HAS TO GO RIGHT FOR THEM TO ACCOMPLISH THIS.  It means to me that our "Big Three" moundsmen, Beckett, Lester and Buchholz have to pitch their as@es off and win big.  It means that either our No. 4 or No. 5 starter has to emerge as a successful pitcher, and that means Aceves or Bard or Padilla.  The starters have to go deeper into games this season so the bullpen is not gassed by August.  On the attack Crawford and Youkilis must come back with big seasons and the guys who hit well last year must do it again. No, not everything has to turn out right for us to win the division and go on deep into the post-season, but a large percentage of it must take place.
    Posted by seabeachfred[/QUOTE]

Fred, 

Any time a team wins a Pennant, World Series, Super Bowl, etc almost everything has to go thier way. Some call it luck but what ever you call it the ball always has to bounce the right way for the one team that wins it all. 

Hetchinspete

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBSHBT1969. Show TBSHBT1969's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Quit Dreamin- this 2012 Sox edition blows!! : I love Cain. He's my number 1 target for 2013 as of now.

I agree with you there. I actually had the opportunity to meet both him and Ryan Klesko back in '07 when they played the marlins. I was pretty impressed with him then. They were both pretty cool guys to hang with as well. It was a Saturday night game and the marlins host a live music act and fireworks to try and help draw a crowd. It just so happened that Blues Traveler was the band that night and Cain and Klesko got us out on the field for it. I have some pretty cool pics that I should scan and post one day.