"Quote" of the day by Pedro Martinez

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Re:

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

"If I'm the starting pitcher for the other side, looking at the lineup, I'm actually laughing."  Pedro Martinez on the Pittsburgh Pirate line-up.

Bad day for Hurdle, Pirates

Had to laugh myself upon reading the quote but then I looked at the line-up and read the article in full and laughed again.

Clint Hurdle gave away the game when he posted the line-up and followed up with leaving Burnett in after walking in the 4th run of the 1st inning!

** Justin Morneau has hit zero home-runs since being aquired from the Twins, Pedro Alverez has 36~!

Dispite the lopsided score in the end it's only one game. If the Bucs come out and win game two they've accomplished the goal of every visiting team in a post season series. Split the first two.

Hurdle in his pressor already owned the reasoning behind leaving Burnett in the game. Then once they went down 7-0 on the double with Wainright on his game it was essentially game over at that point. No doubt that AJ spit the bit...

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

Re:

In response to The4040club's comment:

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

"If I'm the starting pitcher for the other side, looking at the lineup, I'm actually laughing."  Pedro Martinez on the Pittsburgh Pirate line-up.

Bad day for Hurdle, Pirates

Had to laugh myself upon reading the quote but then I looked at the line-up and read the article in full and laughed again.

Clint Hurdle gave away the game when he posted the line-up and followed up with leaving Burnett in after walking in the 4th run of the 1st inning!

** Justin Morneau has hit zero home-runs since being aquired from the Twins, Pedro Alverez has 36~!

Let's see Alex: I'll take things I never would say as a starting pitcher.

One reason why I haven't liked Pedro in a long time even as an active pitcher.  If he had pitched in the National League, the number of batters he hit would have been zero.

He did pitch in the national league for like 10 years......

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

Re:

you should have kept it to 6.  He only had one decent year after he left the sox.  One of Theo's better decisions to not give Pedro what he was asking for. 

When you get the stats on the number of batters he hit in the nl, please let me know.

We already get that you hate Pedro, good for you nobody cares, aka go away troll. You didn't even know that he pitched in the national league. He only pitched the American league for 6 seasons most of his career was in the nl. Ignore for you.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ABSmoke. Show ABSmoke's posts

Re:

you should have kept it to 6.  He only had one decent year after he left the sox.  One of Theo's better decisions to not give Pedro what he was asking for. 

When you get the stats on the number of batters he hit in the nl, please let me know.

The stats are right there on baseball reference. Took me literally 10 seconds to look up. I don't think I'll share them with you and let you do your own research.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re:

I had a senior moment with Pedro playing anywhere but Boston.  Perhaps because all he talks about is how he beat the Indians single handed in the 99 playoffs or the batters he hit while a sox.

Let's see, Pedro hit 141 batters. 84 while a sox and 57 while in the NL.  Out of the 57 he hit 35 before a sox and just 22 after he left the sox.  I guess his big mouth went quiet too once he went back to the NL. The numbers are in my favor, Pedro hit less while he was forced to get into the batter's box.

1-You know so little about a 1st ballot HOF, that you didn't even know he pitched in the NL

2-You know so little about BB that ABSmoke had to tell you where to look up the stats.

3-You looked up the numbers, and you still got them wrong.  It is not 84/57.  If you don't even know how to copy over numbers, from a website that someone sent you to, you're not even worth ridiculing.

4-Go back to BR, copy in the right stats, and then we will go back to making fun of you.  But you have to meet us halfway by trying to look up the stats correctly.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

Re:

the Pedro quote of the day, is "Im your daddy".

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Re:

141 HBP
    38 in first 5 yrs 7.6 per yr

77 with RS 7 yrs 11 per year

26 last 5 years 5.2 per yr.

Yes he hit more in the ALE but he also face far tougher teams and played on teams in contention most years which was not the case in the NL. Yes you can say he did it more when he did not have to hit but it is a respect mechanism that pitchers use.

However looking at HBP since 1989 both leagues have gone from .18 per game up to the mid high .30s.  Also NL seems to have more HBP per team and league than AL.

LOVE my  Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Re:

"Quote" of the day by Pedro Martinez

that's yesterdays news

todays "Quote" of the day by Pedro Martinez

â€œIf he was a fish, I would call him a flounder,” Pedro Martinez said of Alex Rodriguez.

Andy McCullough ‏@McCulloughSL 2m

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re:

enlighten me.  Bottom line is when Pedro was here he developed a big mouth.  The sox refused to give him one last big contract and that was a smart move.  Plenty of sox fans were glad to see him go as well many sad too.

Ortiz has come out in defense of Arod and said he did not like the whole thowing at Arod incident.  I wonder what Ortiz thinks when Pedro says that he meant to hit 90 percent of the batters who he beamed.  Do you have an opinion on that or do you only post stats?

1-Just going back to the HBP, he hit 77 in the AL, and 64 in the NL.  Given that the AL has 9 batters, and the NL only 8, that makes it closer to 77/72 on a pro forma basis.  Maybe it's time to admit that your statement that he'd have never hit a batter if he had to step into the batters' box was completely wrong.

2-I wouldn't have signed him to a new contract either, but that has nothing to do with Pedro, and everything to do with money and draft comp.

3-The word is 'beaned', not 'beamed', and I do not recall him ever beaning anyone, though he did come close against the NYY catcher.

4-Don't know what Papi and ARod have to do with Pedro.

5-And last, but not least, if you think that most RS fans were glad to see him go, you apparently did not see his return to Fenway Park with the NYMs.  It was the single biggest ovation I have seen a player get.  It was so big, and so loud, and so long, he was too emotional to even pitch.  He is probably the most popular living RS player.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Re:

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

[QUOTE]

141 HBP
    38 in first 5 yrs 7.6 per yr

77 with RS 7 yrs 11 per year

26 last 5 years 5.2 per yr.

Yes he hit more in the ALE but he also face far tougher teams and played on teams in contention most years which was not the case in the NL. Yes you can say he did it more when he did not have to hit but it is a respect mechanism that pitchers use.

However looking at HBP since 1989 both leagues have gone from .18 per game up to the mid high .30s.  Also NL seems to have more HBP per team and league than AL.

LOVE my  Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year. 

I like the way you put that.  I think when it comes down to it I don't have a problem with hitting a batter as long as it is not near the head and Pedro used to go head hunting.  I do have a problem with Pedro now bragging about it when while he was pitching only had a mouth and nothing to back it up. 

I do respect Ortiz for coming out and saying it wasn't cool hitting Arod.  So I would love know what Ortiz thinks about Pedro admitting he intentionally hit 90 percent of the batters of who he beamed.

[/QUOTE]

Have  u ever seen Pedro pitch?   Pedro's control was impeccable. If he wanted to hit a guy in the head. He could. I don't recall with the Sox him  ever hitting a guy in the head so to say he was headhunting is ridiculous 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re:

I do respect Ortiz for coming out and saying it wasn't cool hitting Arod.  So I would love know what Ortiz thinks about Pedro admitting he intentionally hit 90 percent of the batters of who he beamed.

[/QUOTE]

Have  u ever seen Pedro pitch?   Pedro's control was impeccable. If he wanted to hit a guy in the head. He could. I don't recall with the Sox him  ever hitting a guy in the head so to say he was headhunting is ridiculous 

[/QUOTE]

Well..hang on a second. When Pedro was pitching he was well known as one of the biggest headhunters in the MLB. Part of this was his pitching style. He pitched to the inside of the plate and therefore hit many more batters than most pitchers. But...go and search for interviews of him on the subject. "Headhunter" was a reputation that Martinez obviously embraced and was proud of.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re:

In response to miscricket's comment:

[/QUOTE]

Well..hang on a second. When Pedro was pitching he was well known as one of the biggest headhunters in the MLB. Part of this was his pitching style. He pitched to the inside of the plate and therefore hit many more batters than most pitchers. But...go and search for interviews of him on the subject. "Headhunter" was a reputation that Martinez obviously embraced and was proud of.

[/QUOTE]

Well, apparently Tom and I have never seen Pedro hit someone in the head.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re:

Yes he was a big head hunter and I am sure it drove guys like Yaz crazy because yaz hated pitchers who threw close to anyone's head.  And anyone who was alive to see Tony C go down does not like it, even if the pitcher is a red sox.

I despise headhunters.  But except for that one time against the NYY, I don't ever remember him coming in around the head.  Everything I remember was inside around the waist.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Re:

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Yes he was a big head hunter and I am sure it drove guys like Yaz crazy because yaz hated pitchers who threw close to anyone's head.  And anyone who was alive to see Tony C go down does not like it, even if the pitcher is a red sox.

I despise headhunters.  But except for that one time against the NYY, I don't ever remember him coming in around the head.  Everything I remember was inside around the waist.

Exactly joe, a headhunter is trying to hit guys in the head, thst was not pedro. He pitched inside and high because he knew guys coukdnt catch up to his fb up high and then it gave him the outside edge. ..none of it had to do with hitting guys