R U KIDDING ME - THEY LET THEO WALK - WILL DECIDE COMPENSATION LATER

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

R U KIDDING ME - THEY LET THEO WALK - WILL DECIDE COMPENSATION LATER

What kind of leverage do sox have now that theo is already gone?
    Cmon?

From playing hard ball to this ?????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Re: R U KIDDING ME - THEY LET THEO WALK - WILL DECIDE COMPENSATION LATER

I don't believe they just let him walk. They probably have a very good idea of who they're getting in return. The announcement may not be able to be made because of the the Series still going on. Lucchino doesn't strike me as an idiot.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: R U KIDDING ME - THEY LET THEO WALK - WILL DECIDE COMPENSATION LATER:
    [QUOTE]I don't believe they just let him walk. They probably have a very good idea of who they're getting in return. The announcement may not be able to be made because of the the Series still going on. Lucchino doesn't strike me as an idiot.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]I sincerely hope that Rafael Dolis is part of the package. Right after the news broke that Theo was likiely headed to Chi-Town I did some research on the Cubs prospects and frankly, their top prospects didn't impress me that much. Dolis however, can dial it up to 100 mph out of the bullpen. He looks like a closer waiting to happen to me.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In Response to Re: R U KIDDING ME - THEY LET THEO WALK - WILL DECIDE COMPENSATION LATER:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: R U KIDDING ME - THEY LET THEO WALK - WILL DECIDE COMPENSATION LATER : I sincerely hope that Rafael Dolis is part of the package. Right after the news broke that Theo was likiely headed to Chi-Town I did some research on the Cubs prospects and frankly, their top prospects didn't impress me that much. Dolis however, can dial it up to 100 mph out of the bullpen. He looks like a closer waiting to happen to me.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

I heard the same as well. Don't know where Rafael is but he sounds great. If the talk is that their better prospects are not in AAA, then let's take the ones below them that are better. We should make the best deal possible as I think they're getting a great baseball mind in return.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: R U KIDDING ME - THEY LET THEO WALK - WILL DECIDE COMPENSATION LATER : I heard the same as well. Don't know where Rafael is but he sounds great. If the talk is that their better prospects are not in AAA, then let's take the ones below them that are better. We should make the best deal possible as I think they're getting a great baseball mind in return.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]Agreed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

kim,
     if they only have an idea of who hey are getting, still they would lose leverage once theo is let free. they would have to have something cemented already or something that guarantees them leverage once epstein is released.

tbd

futher, the opinion i espoused along with anyone else who 'thunk' it, of the cubs owner being in it for theo or bust has been confirmed. he was their only man for the job and if your'e lucky L., you probably could heave held them over a barrel for garza (if selig didnt block it) or something heavy and waited as far into the offseason as they would allow it to go before they panicked.
     my impression again that the cubs thought it preposterous for them to give us anything of real value, AND they were not going to walk away as long as there was a deal to be made for theo also appears to be true.
       if we swindled them, it may have wrankled them and maybe other clubs too (which may not have been to our advantage if we had to deal with those clubs later), but they were not going to let the opportunity be lost (to get "the mastermind" - no i dont believe he is, but they do. i know hes smart and has helped place a great system for getting prospects, but not for acquiring the best mlb players for our team, keeping players on a team in check and making sure a manager does the same). 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

As I understand it, the deal to have Theo resign and join the Cubs officially on Tuesday was announced by both teams in collaboration.

Theo's first job as an employee of the Cubs will be his own compensation...which I believe the parameters of which have been agreed upon. If the two teams can not finalize the deal then Selig will intervene and mediate the compensation.

When all is said and done, whatever the Sox receive from the Cubs is gravy because Epstein is leaving to take a better position with another team, which he has a right to do...the compensation issue comes more into play now with San Diego and the Cubs since Hoyer is doing a lateral move as GM.

Time for Cherington to take over, get the team a new manager and send Carmine and Bill James to the scrap heap. Cherington MUST start using baseball sense in player acquisitions as it is not all about statistics.  Would it be outside of the realm of possibility to bring Dan or Jim Duquette on board as assistants or consultants to help Cherington and the new FO team see more than the statistical aspect of a player?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i told everyone in here that compensation for theo - anyone good - was delusional - the Cubs hold all the cards because of the dysfunction in Boston - we need to move on more than they need Theo..that equals nothing for Boston...once again ......

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Maybe we'll get a couple single A types and/or draft picks

That actually seems fair in this case.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]i told everyone in here that compensation for theo - anyone good - was delusional - the Cubs hold all the cards because of the dysfunction in Boston - we need to move on more than they need Theo..that equals nothing for Boston...once again ......
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Not sure I agree.

Larry Lucinno is still in charge and he has Cherington at the ready to assume the GM function. Which has been in the works since they learned that Epstein was not looking to sign on and stay as the GM. The key player in all of this was Luccino who earlier this year made a verbal commitiment to Henry that he was not looking too, nor was he ready to retire anytime soon. Thus there was no upward mobility within the organization for Epstein. Had Luccino retired then Epstein becomes the new President of Baseball Operations for the Sox and Cherington would still assume the GM role...The Cub's go elsewhere...

In terms of compensation, my guess is that the both sides have come to an aggrement in principle. Trust me Luccino will extract maximum value whatever that is? Then he and Cherington will go about retooling the 2012 roster and hiring a new field management team...

For some perspective remember the debacle that was to 2002 team with Duquette openly fueding with Williams and replaceing him with Kerigan a team that crashed and burned due to strife then the following year the entire management team was replaced and the Sox made it to the ALCS...What ails the team can quickly be righted with the changes that are coming in the mangement team...In the end what transpired in 2011 has little bering on the results of the 2012 team....Unless Luccino and Cherington allow it too.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from heobrien. Show heobrien's posts

In Response to R U KIDDING ME - THEY LET THEO WALK - WILL DECIDE COMPENSATION LATER:
    [QUOTE]What kind of leverage do sox have now that theo is already gone? Cmon? From playing hard ball to this ?????
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

Pretty much the same leverage they had once they allowed him to talk to the Cubs in the first place, .. which is not much.

A GM needs to be totally committed to be effective.  Once he started negotiating with the Cubs it was the beginning of the end.  Once he accepted the Cubs offer the RS pretty much lost whatever leverage they had because it wasn't very likely that he was coming back.  Whatever they get it'll be better than paying to be a roadie for Pearl Jam next year.  

The Nation may think the RS got beat on this but that would be true only if there ever was a realistic possibility that they were in line to get substantial compensation in the first place which frankly didn't seem likely.  Epstein leaving really doesn't change the personnel issues that needed to be addressed.  Are they going to resign Ortiz, Papelbon.  Is there any point in bringing back Veritek and Wakefield.  RF, SS and pitching, both the pen and rotation.  In other words a fairly normal off season.  Just a different guy doing the leg work.

The best part about this is that the RS can now focus on the future.  Most of the stuff that needs to be fixed is actually PR stuff.  Beer in the club house, ... that's news?  A new manager will set a different tone and all should learn from the past and move on.  

For better or worse Epstein is now officially part of the past.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

My theory is that Lackey is going to the Padres, and the Cubs are going to pay for most of it, as with Hoyer going to the Cubs, both teams need compensation.