R.A. Dickey

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: R.A. Dickey

Cannit trade Gomes and the Mets might want more for the reiging Cy Young winner.  "Trying to trade" does not always mean "ready to give away."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Actually, Dickey would not be a bad acquisition.  The real issue is matching up.  If the Mets would take Lavarnway and Kalish/Brentz, that might be as high as Boston can go.  It wuld not be surpreising if the Mets asked for Bradley.  Sands probably lacks any appeal, too..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Mets are going to be looking top prospects. RA has stated he wants to stay in NY and would be willing to accept less to do so, so this is not a guy Mets don't think they are going to lose and have a gun to their head. Mets will not let him go on the cheap. If Alderson was able to get Zack Wheeler from Giants for Beltran w/ a couple of mos's left on his contract, reigning Cy Young winner is going to cost you at least one of our top prospects.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

And yet, he is in the last season of his contract.  The Mets cannot expect too much.  Salty and Nava or Lin, or Linares or Hassan.  If the Sox had not non-tendered Sweeney, then maybe Sweeney.  An established ML catcher with power and a 4th OFer is all I think the Mets should really get for a 39 year old pitcher in the last year of his contract and who is not willing, apparently, to sign for what the Mets want to offer.

As for the Sox, I would love to see Dickey pitch for the Sox.  We, of all teams, know that knuckleballers do not pose an arm injury risk and can pitch well into their 40s.  But I would not want to see Brentz, and certainly not Bradley, traded for him.  Not even Kalish, who I am hopeful is finally healthy and ready to re-establish himself as the superior OFer to Josh Reddick.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Actually, Dickey would not be a bad acquisition.  The real issue is matching up.  If the Mets would take Lavarnway and Kalish/Brentz, that might be as high as Boston can go.  It wuld not be surpreising if the Mets asked for Bradley.  Sands probably lacks any appeal, too..

[/QUOTE]

Well if Mets ask for Bradley ......Sox reply ..HA HA HA HA HA.... Very funny

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kt888. Show kt888's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

And yet, he is in the last season of his contract.  The Mets cannot expect too much.  Salty and Nava or Lin, or Linares or Hassan.  If the Sox had not non-tendered Sweeney, then maybe Sweeney.  An established ML catcher with power and a 4th OFer is all I think the Mets should really get for a 39 year old pitcher in the last year of his contract and who is not willing, apparently, to sign for what the Mets want to offer.

As for the Sox, I would love to see Dickey pitch for the Sox.  We, of all teams, know that knuckleballers do not pose an arm injury risk and can pitch well into their 40s.  But I would not want to see Brentz, and certainly not Bradley, traded for him.  Not even Kalish, who I am hopeful is finally healthy and ready to re-establish himself as the superior OFer to Josh Reddick.

[/QUOTE]

And isn't this the final season of Salty's contract as well?  Why would you trade your ace pitcher from last year for one year of an average catcher, and a lower-mid level prospect with no ceiling?  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to djcbuffum's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You really think he's that valuable on the trade makret?  Sure he just won the Cy Young, but before 2010, he never had an ERA below 4.62.  Further, the knuckleball is, as we all know quite well, incredibly fickle.  I don't think anyone would be surprised if he had an era > 5.00 next year.

But the trend over the last three years has been impressive...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/dicker.01.shtml?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-www.typepad.com

[/QUOTE]

This a guy who has battled his whole life [not just baseball if you read his book] came to mlb as hard throwing RH out of Tennesee injured his arm, remade himself into knuckleball pitcher, not like Wakefield in that he can throw his knuckler in the 80's. This guy will not have an era in the 5's next yr, he will be a solid pitcher for the next 3 yr's at least, maybe not win another CY. Have listened to him talk on SNY and the WFAN many times, very intelligent, just published a book. Loves it in NY doesn't want to leave has told Mets he wants to stay and would assume he would accept less to stay in NY. The only way Mets will deal is if someone is willing to give up a top prospect, because Mets are not contending for WS in next 2 years. It makes sense for Mets to trade him, but it would probably be smarter or them to sign to extension then trade. No team is going to give up top prospect if he has only 1 yr on contract remaining, and they are currently working on that after signing D.Wright to an extension.If RS could get in trade for say Webster and lesser prospect after he was signed to a 2 yr extension. Would make great sense for RS.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Your offer is way too low.  THe mets dont have to accept any kind of reality until every team says no to parting w/ top prospects.  And if they do, the Mets will most likely keep Dickey.  Hes a cy young winner owed 5M this year.  They are expecting a lot.  Worst case scenario: hold him until the deadline when buyers are desperate. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

You really think he's that valuable on the trade makret?  Sure he just won the Cy Young, but before 2010, he never had an ERA below 4.62.  Further, the knuckleball is, as we all know quite well, incredibly fickle.  I don't think anyone would be surprised if he had an era > 5.00 next year.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/dicker.01.shtml?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-www.typepad.com

[/QUOTE]

You do realize that every pitcher in MLB can suddenly have one season of 5.00ERA without warning.   And any long term deal for a pitcher an involve getting a player whop suddenly needs shoulder surgery 15 pitches into his new contract.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well if Mets ask for Bradley ......Sox reply ..HA HA HA HA HA.... Very funny

[/QUOTE]

I do this in a heartbeat.  THere are 30 Jackie Bradleys throughout the minors.  DIckey is a reigning cy young, w / 3 straight quality years signed to 5M/yr.

Man do we overrate our prospects in Boston.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to kt888's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And isn't this the final season of Salty's contract as well?  Why would you trade your ace pitcher from last year for one year of an average catcher, and a lower-mid level prospect with no ceiling?  

[/QUOTE]

THis guy gets it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not every prospect will turn out to be good, and really it comes down to rolling the dice ad seeing who will be a washout elsewhere.   If the Sox traded Kalish or Brentz for Dickey, it will probably help the team more than hinder it. 

Plus it would be fun to watch Schumpeter's Ghost have an apoplectic attack...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

What are the rules governing "flipping" newly signed players?

MLB Collective Bargaining Agreement, Section XX.(B)(5)(a):

Any Club signing a contract with a Player under this Section B after the expiration of the Quiet Period described in subsection 2(b) above may not assign his contract until after the next June 15. However, notwithstanding the foregoing, such contract may be assigned for other Player contracts and/or cash consideration of $50,000 or less prior to the next June 16 if the Player gives written consent to such transaction.

http://mlb.mlb.com/pa/pdf/cba_english.pdf

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You do realize that every pitcher in MLB can suddenly have one season of 5.00ERA without warning.   And any long term deal for a pitcher an involve getting a player whop suddenly needs shoulder surgery 15 pitches into his new contract.

[/QUOTE]

Of course.  But some are more likely to be consistent year-to-year than others.  Knuckeballers are less consistent year-to-year than most.  Or so goes the conventional wisdom.

[/QUOTE]

Apparently this brand of wisdom is not known to RA Dickey and Tim Lincecum...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

only in the bizarro world of BDC do folks pooh pooh a trade for a  Cy young pitcher and get all fired up about 2 retread journeyman backups signed....I guess the player isnt valuable until ben signs him - then he becomes an integral part of the winning formula - irregardless of his (non) past

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

3 straight very good to great seasons must be a fluke. The great softy has spoken.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

If my offer is too low and another team wants to pay more, I say let them.  Dickey is not my first choice for anything as I just don't think a knuckleballer is a good choice to lead the top of a rotation.  And I would not pay too much for a #3 or 4 starter, 39 years of age, who is being traded because he could not reach agreement on an extension from the Mets.  At least Salty is not being paid as much and has not refused an extension.  The Mets could lock him up and still have money left over to pay at least part of the contract for the replacement starter for Dickey.  That and they would be getting OF help they need. 

Like I said, they may get a better offer.  And they should take it.  But I would not offer Brentz, or Bradley.  They are too valuable to the way this team is shaping up.  Maybe neither makes it, but they are definitely part of a long-term plan.  Dickey is not (especially if he wants a big pay day at the end of 2013).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not every prospect will turn out to be good, and really it comes down to rolling the dice ad seeing who will be a washout elsewhere.   If the Sox traded Kalish or Brentz for Dickey, it will probably help the team more than hinder it. 

Plus it would be fun to watch Schumpeter's Ghost have an apoplectic attack...

[/QUOTE]

Schump's avatar shows up at 1:12 of this Ramones cartoon video I was just watching:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1r__BB7xs8

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kt888. Show kt888's posts

[QUOTE]

If my offer is too low and another team wants to pay more, I say let them.  Dickey is not my first choice for anything as I just don't think a knuckleballer is a good choice to lead the top of a rotation.  And I would not pay too much for a #3 or 4 starter, 39 years of age, who is being traded because he could not reach agreement on an extension from the Mets.  At least Salty is not being paid as much and has not refused an extension.  The Mets could lock him up and still have money left over to pay at least part of the contract for the replacement starter for Dickey.  That and they would be getting OF help they need. 

Like I said, they may get a better offer.  And they should take it.  But I would not offer Brentz, or Bradley.  They are too valuable to the way this team is shaping up.  Maybe neither makes it, but they are definitely part of a long-term plan.  Dickey is not (especially if he wants a big pay day at the end of 2013).

[/QUOTE]

A better fit for the Mets would be to contact the Jays, who also seek more pitching, for Arencibia, who has multiple years of control left. Are the prospects you mention an upgrade for the Mets, who just released Bay, despite being responsible for what is left on his contract?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What are the rules governing "flipping" newly signed players?

MLB Collective Bargaining Agreement, Section XX.(B)(5)(a):

Any Club signing a contract with a Player under this Section B after the expiration of the Quiet Period described in subsection 2(b) above may not assign his contract until after the next June 15. However, notwithstanding the foregoing, such contract may be assigned for other Player contracts and/or cash consideration of $50,000 or less prior to the next June 16 if the Player gives written consent to such transaction.

http://mlb.mlb.com/pa/pdf/cba_english.pdf

[/QUOTE]

Nice to see a poster who shows facts and not fiction.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

[QUOTE]

According to MLBTradeRumors.com, the Mets may be looking to trade R.A. Dickey for a catcher and an outfielder.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/east-notes-ichiro-dickey-mets-red-sox.html

What is the liklihood that the Sox are thinking of trading Saltalamaccia and Gomes (or another outfielder) for Dickey?  I know there are rules against signing and flipping a guy to another team, but I don't know when they apply.

[/QUOTE]

The other rumours are also Lincecum, if the value in return is realistic then the Giants will listen to the offers. Rather make a big splash and get this kid before Dickey.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy stilleatsworms. Show MikeNagy stilleatsworms's posts

I like it. He could be that inning eater wer'e missing.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't see the point of trading top propsects for 1 year players.

Sections
Shortcuts