R.A. Dickey

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: R.A. Dickey

Here's a hypothetical for everyone.  If RA Dickey was 10 years younger and had a plus fastball would you make that trade?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Why would Dickey have to be a one-year player?   Make an extension part of the deal - his bread and butter pitches top out at 80MPH.   Is a 38-year-old Dickey a greater injury risk than a 27-year-old fireballer?

He could be a great mentor for Steven Wright, as well.

I wouldn't trade Bradley and Bogaerts, but maybe Lavarnway and Alan Webster could get the job done.

We're going to need some things to fall into place for us to be contenders - Lester could bounce back to form, or Lackey.  Tazawa could manifest into a top of the rotation pitcher, or Morales, or Doubrount, or De La Rosa. If none of this pans out, a Dickey is not going to make the difference.  But it makes for one less thing that must go our way in 2013.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

I am terrified of a knuckle baller after seeing Wakefield over the last two years. Dickey is 38 years old as well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

There is no need for this guy. He's 37 and I've had enough of knuckleballers on the Red Sox. Plus the Mets want top prospects. Barnes, De La Rosa and Webster will all be in Boston in 2014. 

DO NOT GET THIS GUY.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to AL34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am terrified of a knuckle baller after seeing Wakefield over the last two years. Dickey is 38 years old as well.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed 100%. Stay away. Why wouldn't the Mets hold on to him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not trying o bad mouth Dickey but he just had a career year at 37, he ain't exactly hitting his prime.  Yes I know he is a knuckleballer, but we also know hey are vercoup and down.  Mets are looking to sell high and the Sox would be suckers to bite. 

I'm not for trading top prospects for any 1 year pitcher.

However, Dickey had 2 fine seasons before 2012. The very good to great seasons in a row is no fluke.

[/QUOTE]

I agree. He just won a Cy Young.

Lots of if's with Dickey but it would depend on the cost. I am not willing to trade Bradley and Bogaerts, but 20 wins is 20 wins. His ERA in the last 3 seasons is 2.84, 3.28, and 2.73 where he pitched 27, 33, and 34 games, respectively. What did our pitchers do??? Anything close to that??? It wasn't just one year. Face it, the Mets sucked in most of those years which is why he didn't have a better record. Yeah, I realize that it is the NL, but the guy is fairly durable despite his age. Some here are considering Jackson for the same reason. Quality starts.

Knuckleballers screw with the opposing batters, and it is worth it to get the opposition out of a rhythm in a 3 game set. (Unfortunately, they screw with our catchers as well!)

Another package of Red Sox players might work. I'd give him 2/18 or 3/24. I'm sure he is looking for more. He has been a good pitcher for 3 years. 4 years by the standards of our pitchers as he had a better ERA 4 years ago than most of our guys this year.

I don't think the Mets will move him. But maybe KC picks him up.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I support this move because the odds are good that Softy's virtual brain would explode if we acquire Dickey. He could use a new obsession/scratching post and what better than a knuckler?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to slomag's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why would Dickey have to be a one-year player?   Make an extension part of the deal - his bread and butter pitches top out at 80MPH.   Is a 38-year-old Dickey a greater injury risk than a 27-year-old fireballer?

He could be a great mentor for Steven Wright, as well.

I wouldn't trade Bradley and Bogaerts, but maybe Lavarnway and Alan Webster could get the job done.

We're going to need some things to fall into place for us to be contenders - Lester could bounce back to form, or Lackey.  Tazawa could manifest into a top of the rotation pitcher, or Morales, or Doubrount, or De La Rosa. If none of this pans out, a Dickey is not going to make the difference.  But it makes for one less thing that must go our way in 2013.

[/QUOTE]

I like it....and agree with all

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

The Rays dont have any offense

...and how long have you (and others) been saying this?

It's pitching, man- pitching!

[/QUOTE]

What do the Rays have to show for all of their pitching?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] They got 4 years of being darn good bets to win the division and darn good bets to win it again next year which ain't a small thing. considering all the other teams in the division outspend them by a ton and a half.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to iamme17's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] They got 4 years of being darn good bets to win the division and darn good bets to win it again next year which ain't a small thing. considering all the other teams in the division outspend them by a ton and a half.

[/QUOTE]

Fair.  I take my comment back.  I forgot they won the division in 2008.  3 playoff appearances in 5 years is good.  

My apologies, Moon.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Do you think the Rays would trade w/ us?  I keep hearing David Price is available.  What about the package: 

Doubront

ONe of: Webster /  Barnes

Boegarts

Cecchini

????

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Since 2007, more than we do.

It's not all about pitching, but to think we have a chance by bringing back a 5.00 ERA rotation minus Beckett & plus Lackey is not realistic.

On paper, right now, looking at 2013 only: I'll take the rays 25 man roster over ours easily. Same with the O's. The Jays. The Yanks. The A's...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Since 2007, more than we do.

It's not all about pitching, but to think we have a chance by bringing back a 5.00 ERA rotation minus Beckett & plus Lackey is not realistic.

On paper, right now, looking at 2013 only: I'll take the rays 25 man roster over ours easily. Same with the O's. The Jays. The Yanks. The A's...

[/QUOTE]

Have to agree with Moon here.  Since 2007 the Sox are the only AL East team that has failed to show any improvement and have trended in a downward spiral ending with the last place finish last year...they are certainly way more than a player or two from being in contention in the AL East again.  Pitching is the name of the game and the Sox flat don't have it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to djcbuffum's comment:
    [QUOTE]

According to MLBTradeRumors.com, the Mets may be looking to trade R.A. Dickey for a catcher and an outfielder.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/east-notes-ichiro-dickey-mets-red-sox.html

What is the liklihood that the Sox are thinking of trading Saltalamaccia and Gomes (or another outfielder) for Dickey?  I know there are rules against signing and flipping a guy to another team, but I don't know when they apply.

[/QUOTE]

Oh Boy!!!! Where the heck is Marabelli when we might need him? Here we go again? Special catcher ?  Tell me it's only a dream ????

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

From today's FanGraphs chat with columnist Dave Cameron:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/

4:40 [ Comment From red met red met: ]

What has more trade value: one year of Jacoby Elllsbury or one year of R.A. Dickey?

Wednesday December 5, 2012 4:40 red met 4:40

Dave Cameron: Dickey, easy.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to djcbuffum's comment:
    [QUOTE]

According to MLBTradeRumors.com, the Mets may be looking to trade R.A. Dickey for a catcher and an outfielder.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/east-notes-ichiro-dickey-mets-red-sox.html

What is the liklihood that the Sox are thinking of trading Saltalamaccia and Gomes (or another outfielder) for Dickey?  I know there are rules against signing and flipping a guy to another team, but I don't know when they apply.

[/QUOTE]

If we get Dickey we may have to sign Salty to catch him so its a big no, especially at his age.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftyGrove. Show LeftyGrove's posts

In response to AL34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Watching Wilhelm, Niekro, Wood, etc. was fun even when they in their late 30's and 40's.