1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Rafael Soriano....ouch

15 innings
    10 Ks
    11 BBs
    5.40 ERA
    1.73 WHIP
    12 mil per year, 2 more years.

Heir to the closer job? Not looking too good.

It was a bad contract at the time, and it's even worse now. For that 12 mil the Sox signed Jenks/Aceves/Wheeler/Albers, and still have about 1.5 mil to spare. A perfect example of why quantity is almost always better than quality with relievers...they are far too volatile, more so than any other position in baseball.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fireballer58. Show fireballer58's posts

Re: Rafael Soriano....ouch

completely agreed, this was a panic move by cashman to pick up a somewhat large name in free agency after Lee bolted to philly

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

one of the most under-rated worse signings ever

if he's good he'll leave and if he's bad he'll stay

the deal shows just how desperate ca$hman was after Cliff Lee said "I wouldn't pitch for the yankees for a quarter of a billion dollars".......now that's some serious OUCH!!!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

Cashman didn't want to sign him The Stein brothers and Levine forced him to:

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=6037544

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

In Response to Re: Rafael Soriano....ouch:
    [QUOTE]one of the most under-rated worse signings ever if he's good he'll leave and if he's bad he'll stay the deal shows just how desperate ca$hman was after Cliff Lee said "I wouldn't pitch for the yankees for a quarter of a billion dollars".......now that's some serious OUCH!!!!!
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

the deal shows just how desperate ca$hman was after Cliff Lee said "I wouldn't pitch for the yankees for a quarter of a billion

your post shows how little you know about the yankees

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

This was a terrible signing by the Yanks. But it could happen to any team. Hey, we ended up with Lackey.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rafael Soriano....ouch : the deal shows just how desperate ca$hman was after Cliff Lee said "I wouldn't pitch for the yankees for a quarter of a billion your post shows how little you know about the yankees
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

Morning Zac, How's Diva taking the tough times in yankeeland? I'm enjoying it but know it's only temporary. Your lineup is too tough to stay down, just like ours was. Yankees will add a bat and starter by the trade deadline. Any decent hitter can replace Posada at DH, no matter what their position.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rafael Soriano....ouch : Morning Zac, How's Diva taking the tough times in yankeeland? I'm enjoying it but know it's only temporary. Your lineup is too tough to stay down, just like ours was. Yankees will add a bat and starter by the trade deadline. Any decent hitter can replace Posada at DH, no matter what their position.
    Posted by MikeNagy[/QUOTE]

top of the morning to you mike

diva's ok 4 the most part

the boys are taking out their flustrations

on posada

me I don't get the big deal

how does a 150 hitter hurt the team by asking /taking  a day off

BB is like a roller coaster

one has sit back, be cool  and enjoy the ride

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

It's starting to look like the Tigers got hosed on Benoit too.  His ERA is 7.98.

Meanwhile the Rays bid those two Au Revoir, plug in Kyle Farnsworth and they're good to go. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LB34. Show LB34's posts

The Soriano signing had nothing to do with Cashman.  This was the Stein boys all the way.  Best case scenario for the Red Sox is the Stein boys continue to meddle and don't let Cashman operate on his own accord.  IMO Cashman would have the Yanks turned around in a year or so.  He does what he is supposed to do, run the team like a business.  The Stein boys and Yanks fans in general are the ones who want to keep the "ol boys" around.  Cashman would not have renegotiated with ARod, tried to kick Jeter out the door, only gave Mo an extra year when he knew it was being offered by the Sox, and I'm guessing wanted nothing to do with multi years for Posada.  Yanks fans and the Stein boys can blame themselves.  They made their own bed by refusing to take a business first line with these players and now they can watch their once shiny stars fade off to an embarrassing end.  Can't wait to see Jeter and ARod next year and beyond...  No doubt this will get very ugly even to the point where their mighty careers get tarnished with a demotion to AAA or a release.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

[QUOTE]The Soriano signing had nothing to do with Cashman.  This was the Stein boys all the way.  Best case scenario for the Red Sox is the Stein boys continue to meddle and don't let Cashman operate on his own accord.  IMO Cashman would have the Yanks turned around in a year or so.  He does what he is supposed to do, run the team like a business.  The Stein boys and Yanks fans in general are the ones who want to keep the "ol boys" around.  Cashman would not have renegotiated with ARod, tried to kick Jeter out the door, only gave Mo an extra year when he knew it was being offered by the Sox, and I'm guessing wanted nothing to do with multi years for Posada.  Yanks fans and the Stein boys can blame themselves.  They made their own bed by refusing to take a business first line with these players and now they can watch their once shiny stars fade off to an embarrassing end.  Can't wait to see Jeter and ARod next year and beyond...  No doubt this will get very ugly even to the point where their mighty careers get tarnished with a demotion to AAA or a release.
    Posted by LB34[/QUOTE]

Cashman didn't want to give Posada more than 2 years, and the Stein boys made him give him 4  (this is the last).

I hope that they keep on overriding him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe--1. Show --The--Babe--1's posts

[QUOTE]The Soriano signing had nothing to do with Cashman.  This was the Stein boys all the way.  Best case scenario for the Red Sox is the Stein boys continue to meddle and don't let Cashman operate on his own accord.  IMO Cashman would have the Yanks turned around in a year or so.  He does what he is supposed to do, run the team like a business.  The Stein boys and Yanks fans in general are the ones who want to keep the "ol boys" around.  Cashman would not have renegotiated with ARod, tried to kick Jeter out the door, only gave Mo an extra year when he knew it was being offered by the Sox, and I'm guessing wanted nothing to do with multi years for Posada.  Yanks fans and the Stein boys can blame themselves.  They made their own bed by refusing to take a business first line with these players and now they can watch their once shiny stars fade off to an embarrassing end.  Can't wait to see Jeter and ARod next year and beyond...  No doubt this will get very ugly even to the point where their mighty careers get tarnished with a demotion to AAA or a release.

Posted by LB34[/QUOTE]

LOL...get demoted to AAA. Do you have any clue how it actually works?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

GMs are gonna get burned often for ponying up for bullpen arms.  Ya just never know what you are going to get.  Bobby Jenks anyone (of course, Guillen and Son would tell you they knew it wouldn't work)?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

This offseason was the alltime sweepstakes for relievers.  A lot of dough got handed out and a lot of it is looking bad.  We probably won't see anything like that again. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

We can thank Detroit for starting all this over paying for middle relievers, signing Benoit for what they did. The rest of them all fell in line and took advantage cause the market for middle relief was now set...Any other year these guys arent getting but 1/3-1/2 of what they were offered this year...But thats how FA works..Jayson Werth anyone?? Carl Crawford? Washington did the same thing Detroit did. They overpaid to get a big name to come to their team and the market was set...If Werth was given say a 14mil per year deal, the Sox couldve got CC for 16-18mil..It is what it is..Thats why I really dont care what a guy is being paid, I just care about his performance and try to leave money out of it...Ill let the billionaire spend all they want, its not my $$$...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]We can thank Detroit for starting all this over paying for middle relievers, signing Benoit for what they did. The rest of them all fell in line and took advantage cause the market for middle relief was now set...Any other year these guys arent getting but 1/3-1/2 of what they were offered this year...But thats how FA works..Jayson Werth anyone?? Carl Crawford? Washington did the same thing Detroit did. They overpaid to get a big name to come to their team and the market was set...If Werth was given say a 14mil per year deal, the Sox couldve got CC for 16-18mil..It is what it is..Thats why I really dont care what a guy is being paid, I just care about his performance and try to leave money out of it...Ill let the billionaire spend all they want, its not my $$$...
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

It is what it is, which is why I don't really hate on JD Drew.  The market was set, the billionaires ponied up for the best RF they could get that year, cuz they needed a right fielder.  It is what it is.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

the issue w/ the contract is not about the Pitcher in question.  It could have been for Mariano Rivera.  The issue is that the way the deal was structured gives the player ALL the cards....the team assumed all of the risk....and not just for 1 or 2 years but for THREE....not to mention what other similar deal was Soriano being offered that Ca$h-man felt compelled to do so a player-friendly/anti-team deal?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe--1. Show --The--Babe--1's posts

[QUOTE]the issue w/ the contract is not about the Pitcher in question.  It could have been for Mariano Rivera.  The issue is that the way the deal was structured gives the player ALL the cards....the team assumed all of the risk....and not just for 1 or 2 years but for THREE....not to mention what other similar deal was Soriano being offered that Ca$h-man felt compelled to do so a player-friendly/anti-team deal?

Do you even read the news?

Cashman didn't feel "compelled" to do anything. He didn't want the player and stated it publically numerous times. The signing and the contract are on Levine and the brothers Stein.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Cashman isn't a fool ... the Yankee owners might be ... well, one of them ...

Yanks will be in the mix all year, regardless.  If Tex and ARod get hot, they will win games no matter what batting T comes in to relieve.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rafael Soriano....ouch : Do you even read the news? Cashman didn't feel "compelled" to do anything. He didn't want the player and stated it publically numerous times. The signing and the contract are on Levine and the brothers Stein.
    Posted by --The--Babe--1[/QUOTE]

Or even read the rest of the thread.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

not exactly.....ownership wanted Soriano, 100% right.  ca$h-man didn't have to offer him that insane contract to land him........

again, it's not about whether or not it was the right player, it was about that type of contract......

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

[QUOTE]not exactly.....ownership wanted Soriano, 100% right.  ca$h-man didn't have to offer him that insane contract to land him........ again, it's not about whether or not it was the right player, it was about that type of contract......

From the link I posted:

As far as Soriano's contract, Levine did the majority of the negotiating with Boras. The two sides agreed on a three-year, $35 million deal that includes player opt-outs after each of the first two seasons. Yankees manager Joe Girardi said he considers Soriano his eighth-inning closer and Rivera his ninth-inning closer.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Player opt-out clauses...AKA the Ben Dover clause.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wlbpatriotsfan. Show wlbpatriotsfan's posts

Not only can he not pitch but he has an attitude problem as well.  He is not well liked by his teammates.