raise a beer to Bowden

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsiefan. Show pumpsiefan's posts

raise a beer to Bowden

You gotta love the kid, he has persavered despite the doubters and is contributing. Also the new kid lefty reliever. You gotta have guys like this over the long haul making contributions. There is nothing more delicious in baseball than seeing someone not expected to make it surprise us. I say if Brenz is still tearing it up at Portland in a couple of weeks give him a ten day trial in right. Baseball is best when new players are blooming.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Re: raise a beer to Bowden

In Response to raise a beer to Bowden:
    [QUOTE]You gotta love the kid, he has persavered despite the doubters and is contributing. Also the new kid lefty reliever. You gotta have guys like this over the long haul making contributions. There is nothing more delicious in baseball than seeing someone not expected to make it surprise us. I say if Brenz is still tearing it up at Portland in a couple of weeks give him a ten day trial in right. Baseball is best when new players are blooming.
    Posted by pumpsiefan[/QUOTE]

I agree that it's nice to see the production out of the pen, but you couldn't be more wrong about Brentz.  The kid isn't even in AA right now, and he has all of 10 AB's at high A Salem (currently on the DL).  I'd be happy with him making it to AA this year, but don't expect him to contribute till 2013/2014.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Bowden has a chance to be a decent reliever. The thing we sometimes forget is that he is a control pitcher. If he is used sparingly he can't refine his control. If he gets a lot of steady work I think he could help a team. It's just probably not ours. We probably wouldn't be willing to give him a slot. He would be a good value play for a low budget team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Not hard for farm hands to pitch well for stints, if given more than one opporunity to fail. Tim Wastefield and his 5 plus ERA since the 2nd half of 2009 is an interference with opportunities for youth.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: raise a beer to Bowden:
    [QUOTE]Bowden has a chance to be a decent reliever. The thing we sometimes forget is that he is a control pitcher. If he is used sparingly he can't refine his control. If he gets a lot of steady work I think he could help a team. It's just probably not ours. We probably wouldn't be willing to give him a slot. He would be a good value play for a low budget team.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily. Given the erratic nature of this pen, I think Bowden might get an opportunity. In fact, he may be a better option than Atchison at this point.
    I agee he's a 'control pitcher'. And getting more work will work in his favor.
    Think Atchison last year...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]You gotta love the kid, he has persavered despite the doubters and is contributing. Also the new kid lefty reliever. You gotta have guys like this over the long haul making contributions. There is nothing more delicious in baseball than seeing someone not expected to make it surprise us. I say if Brenz is still tearing it up at Portland in a couple of weeks give him a ten day trial in right. Baseball is best when new players are blooming.
    Posted by pumpsiefan[/QUOTE]  ON THE ROAD TO COOPERSTOWN, FOR SURE !!!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]Not hard for farm hands to pitch well for stints, if given more than one opporunity to fail. Tim Wastefield and his 5 plus ERA since the 2nd half of 2009 is an interference with opportunities for youth.
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]

yeah that and his back issue..but lets NOT mention that while your constantly killing the guy..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rbetourne. Show rbetourne's posts

This kid has produced at every level---once given the time/chance.  I definitely prefer him over Atchison.  And at this point--even over Jenks.  Just give him a shot and actually let him stay up in the bigs for longer than three days.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffh102082. Show jeffh102082's posts

He's been in the minors for a long time now too, i think we need to see what he has and keep him in the pen and spot start if there's a injury like Alceves. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

The two things to remember about Bowden is that though we have seen him up an dwon the last few years he is only 24 years old. Secondly, he was just converted to a reliever last year, and the issue with that is he throws 5 pitches, 4 seamer, curve, changeup, slider and a now a cutter....as with every successful reliever he needs to develop one of those secondary pitches into his out pitch. He also has good command. Personally, I would hold on to him, He has way more upside than Atchison of course and sooner or Wake only has value when he is starting(albeit minimal)....and hasnt shown he can stay healthy all year....would it surprise anyone if he hurt himslef ala Bartolo Colon in his next start covering first? Bowden could possibly fill the Aceves role if we had to have Aceves start again. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Bowden was drafted at 18..I think he might have found a spot in the pen..Hes been pretty good in his first year in this role.I dont count last year cause he was converted in the middle of the season...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Jenks has to show he simply can't cut it in a meaningful role before Bowden gets the nod over him. Bowden has been in mop-up games. That's a long way off  pressure-filled game-on-the-line appearances.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I think Atchison and Morales should be trade bait.  I'd rather see Bowden and Hottovy used over these two guys.  Maybe the Yankees would like Atchison, I'd love to see the Sox have a chance at his very hittable stuff!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

Starting to think some posters are correct about one person here. Some players can never do enough to make some happy! Lets not get excited about our up and coming players, lets belittle them by suggesting that they have had meaningless outings! You are proving what others have suggested here and im sure you will take this bait! But you wont run me or the others off! I think its time you shut up or try to be supportive with your commentary!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Welcome back, Promise!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

What makes you think I ever left, I have made it quite clear that I read a lot and post very little, Rarely do I speak here unless its in defense of a Sox player (irrigardless of how they played yesterday) or unless I have something nice to say about the Sox. I have no negative thoughts when it comes to the Red Sox!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Wake's back has been bothering him since 2009, but it continues to improve each day of the year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Posted by pumpsiefan[/QUOTE]

Nothing more than I'd like than to see Bowden get it all together.

Well, maybe there are a lot of things I'd like more, but I'd still be very happy for him and the Sox. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]Jenks has to show he simply can't cut it in a meaningful role before Bowden gets the nod over him . Bowden has been in mop-up games. That's a long way off  pressure-filled game-on-the-line appearances.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

I didnt think he would get the nod over a proven Vet. But that doesnt mean he cant start mop up and work up the bullpen ladder..