Rally killer Mcdonald

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxpatsfan08. Show Soxpatsfan08's posts

Rally killer Mcdonald

something needs to be done about this guy hitting after youk.. we have 6 more interleague games left on this road trip and hes just not going to cut it in that spot

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Re: Rally killer Mcdonald

In Response to Rally killer Mcdonald:
    something needs to be done about this guy hitting after youk.. we have 6 more interleague games left on this road trip and hes just not going to cut it in that spot
    Posted by Soxpatsfan08

You really know how to celebrate. Go ahead an beat your wife and kick your dog. Life is a bi-tch.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxpatsfan08. Show Soxpatsfan08's posts

first off its a loss we lost the series i dont know if you watched the last two games or not but we lost two games by two runs and Mcdonald who is hitting .109 probably cost us the first one. while this time he was in that spot because of an injury to drew but him in the lineup is killing us

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

McD did some great things in the past for the Sox, but he is back to AAA soon.  

Sox need a #5 hitter.  I would be happy leaving Reddick there, see what he can do.   At least he can sacrifice a guy in, something the other platoon OFers don't seem to be able to do.

Imagine the WS, if the Sox are lucky enough to get there ... the same things happen.  I see a trade coming before the deadline, we need a consistent hitter with some pop in the outfield.  IMO it is our Achilles heal.    

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

Yes, he's having a poor year, but the reason he was batting 5th was because J.D. Gerhig - oops, I mean Drew got a boo boo on his eye.  This after striking out yet again on off-speed stuff with runners on.  McD's been awful, but he was forced into the 5th spot to replace an almost-just-as-awful gingerbread Drew.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

McDonald is clearly not an MLB caliber player even as a utility player.  His presence on the 25 man roster speaks more to the absence of depth and talent in the club's farm system although they have a couple of guys in Riddick and Kalish who, if healthy, "might be"  and "should be" better than the career minor leaguer.  Other than Ellsbury who is clearly an outstanding talent, the Sox GM has had scant success with high outfield draft picks since he became the GM.  David Murphy is a utility outfielder with Texas (traded for Gagne) and guys like Murton and Place (1st round picks) have done nothing at the big league level.  With the imminent end of the J.D. Drew era, the signing of Carl Crawford should not have come as a surprise to anyone who follows the team and the sport.  The GM had no choice and as a result negotiated from a position of weakness with Carl Crawford and his agent.  Carl is simply a more expensive and yes different version of J.D. Drew with a passion for the game and similar potential "overall" to be successful.  Different players clearly, but similar impact. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I don't understand the angst.

Anyone who has paid any attention to Theo's MO is that like all GMs, they use the first half of the season to see where the needs are w/o making any panicky moves like so many posters suggest in April. That gives plenty of time for guys who slump early to get going.

He then uses July to make deals, usually near the end of the month, to fill those weaknesses and put the Sox in a position for the stretch run.

I fully expect Cameron and McDonald to be gone by the end of July. Drew might simply morph into even more a platoon guy and the bench will be reworked for the stretch run.

That might mean Reddick as more of a starter. Maybe some fans will get their wish and Beltran will be acquired. Who knows? But I know something will be done.

For all the complaining about McDonald, Drew and Cameron, the Sox have one of the best records in baseball so there's not need to panic and deal from weakness.

It's clear that patience is a virtue for many on this board.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Roy, I'm not so sure they'll cut the ties with CAM. That remains to be seen.
    But Mac hitting .109 and hitting 5th is a travesty: A poor reflection of depth and management.

The real, longer-term problem is Drew, unless he gets a 2nd life. He will end up being last year's Lowell.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdaytona. Show jimdaytona's posts

It will be interesting to see if both McDonald and Cam are starting in Phil Tuesday with Hamels pitching. Oh, that right, Tito is still the manager, guess they both will be starting because they are right handed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yitbos. Show yitbos's posts

unless theo gets rid of drew cameron and mcdonald, Francoma will continue to use them on a regular basis. He does that time and time again. they need to GO!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

neither drew nor mcdonald have done anything enough to bat anywhere above 8th in the lineup this year so far.

reddick, scutaro, lowery, veritek, saltalamacchia, etc are really not 5 hole hitters but i would rather see every one of them hitting fifth before drew and mcdonald at this point.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In Response to Re: Rally killer Mcdonald:
    It will be interesting to see if both McDonald and Cam are starting in Phil Tuesday with Hamels pitching. Oh, that right, Tito is still the manager, guess they both will be starting because they are right handed.
    Posted by jimdaytona

Same point , but it will be Cliff  Lee.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Cameron and McDonald will both be gone within the next month or so.  The Sox will go out and acquire a RH bat (Francoeur maybe?) and then Drew will take over McDonald's role in which he will be used sparingly.  Reddick will get the majority of starts.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Cameron and McDonald will both be gone within the next month or so.  The Sox will go out and acquire a RH bat (Francoeur maybe?) and then Drew will take over McDonald's role in which he will be used sparingly.  Reddick will get the majority of starts.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988

Let's hope ....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

One of them may be done by next Sunday when Crawford returns. I would guess it is McDonald since the Red Sox have an $8M investment in Cameron this year and they have been trying to move him to another team for a bag of balls.

By August 1, our outfielders will be Crawford, Ellsbury, Reddick, Trade TBD, and possibly Drew. They could also keep Sutton once (if) Lowrie returns. Either way, one of them will be gone by next week and the other one probably in 4 weeks.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

Be careful not to "fall in love" with a player like Reddick.  Guys like him, McDonald, Nava, Kalish, Lowrie and others all look pretty good "initially" compared to severely underperforming veterans.  Who wouldn't?  Once they are scouted thoroughly, however, and their weaknesses identified (every player has them, some more so than others like career minor leaguers such as Nava and McDonald in particular), fans will get a better idea as to whether the team has added a productive everyday position player.  Until that time, they simply represent a brief breath of fresh air or a brief change and often appear to be much better than they are in reality.  Happens all the time and is part of the turnover and tweaking of teams during the course of a long major league baseball season. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

In Response to Re: Rally killer Mcdonald : Be careful not to "fall in love" with a player like Reddick.  Guys like him, McDonald, Nava, Kalish, Lowrie and others all look pretty good "initially" compared to severely underperforming veterans.  Who wouldn't?  Once they are scouted thoroughly, however, and their weaknesses identified (every player has them, some more so than others like career minor leaguers such as Nava and McDonald in particular), fans will get a better idea as to whether the team has added a productive everyday position player.  Until that time, they simply represent a brief breath of fresh air or a brief change and often appear to be much better than they are in reality.  Happens all the time and is part of the turnover and tweaking of teams during the course of a long major league baseball season. 
    Posted by WilcyMoore

I can remember the same speech when Bard, Pedroia, Ellsbury, and Papelbon arrived on the scene. Some fans look for the best while others are always quick with the wet blanket. The fact is that all MLB teams are comprised of minor league prospects who made it. In your world you should only buy free agents and let the other teams do the development and weeding out process. Sounds like the lazy, spoiled Yankee way to me.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

Just so you know, this year the Yankees have had more players on their roster who were "their" minor league" prospects than any team in baseball.  Their names include Rivera, Posada, Jeter, Chamberlain, Nova, Robertson, Hughes, Cano, Nunez, Pena, Cervelli, Noesi, Pendelton and Gardner.  Their system developed those players as well as a number of other talented guys who were recently used in trades most of which are playing currently.  Their names include Dioner Navarro (all-star), Ian Kennedy, Tyler Clippard, Jose Tabata, Austin Jackson, Phil Coke, Jeff Karstens and several others.  From what my moles tell me, some of those guys are pretty good MLB ballplayers some of whom are having very good years.  There's even a former pitcher developed by the Yankees named Aceves whom the team perceived as a lazy malingerer like Ramiro Mendoza at the end of his career in pinstripes.  I heard he's not half bad and that his "attitude" is better than it was in 2010.  The Yankees are not only developing their own players, but obviously are seeding small market teams as well.  Who would have thunk it?   Perhaps a fan who is blinded by local yokels who simply ignore facts and reality whenever it suits their purposes. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]

I have posted the delusional rantings of Francoeur before, but I just checked his splits. 

Vs. LHP  OPS        RF UZR/150

'11       .955                8.7
    '10       .805                5.4
    .09       .877               -1.9

KC 9 games out in Central. Reddick/Frenchy hmmm?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Just get rid of Cameron and D-Mac.  I get ill every time they come to the plate.  In addition, when is the last time Scutaro got a clutch hit?  He hits when the Sox are winning 8-1 or 14-2.  Whenever they really need a hit (like multiple times in Pittsburgh) he is an easy out.  He needs to be gone.  He can't field either.  At least Inglesias can field.  He can't either but his defense alone makes him better than Scutaro.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Just so you know, this year the Yankees have had more players on their roster who were "their" minor league" prospects than any team in baseball.  Their names include Rivera, Posada, Jeter, Chamberlain, Nova, Robertson, Hughes, Cano, Nunez, Pena, Cervelli, Noesi, Pendelton and Gardner.  Their system developed those players as well as a number of other talented guys who were recently used in trades most of which are playing currently.  Their names include Dioner Navarro (all-star), Ian Kennedy, Tyler Clippard, Jose Tabata, Austin Jackson, Phil Coke, Jeff Karstens and several others.  From what my moles tell me, some of those guys are pretty good MLB ballplayers some of whom are having very good years.  There's even a former pitcher developed by the Yankees named Aceves whom the team perceived as a lazy malingerer like Ramiro Mendoza at the end of his career in pinstripes.  I heard he's not half bad and that his "attitude" is better than it was in 2010.  The Yankees are not only developing their own players, but obviously are seeding small market teams as well.  Who would have thunk it?   Perhaps a fan who is blinded by local yokels who simply ignore facts and reality whenever it suits their purposes. 
    Posted by WilcyMoore

Im sure there are a bunch of former Sox prospects, starting with Hanley Rameriz and Anibel Sanchez to the marlins, that many on here can blurt out..Kinda useless I believe..Whats important is how our prospects are performing and how much they actually are contributing to the team..

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

D-Mac needs some extra time in the cage with Dave Magadan.

Cameron needs some Geritol.

Beyond that, it's all good.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

"I'm sure there are a bunch of former Sox prospects, starting with Hanley Ramirez and Anibel Sanchez to the Marlins that many on here can blurt out.."  Not really.  I can because I happen to know the complete and detailed history of the Red Sox and Yankees' franchises from the beginning of time up to the present.  It's a hobby.  The Sox GM had absolutely nothing to do with Hanley Ramirez (outstanding player) and Anibal Sanchez (good when healthy) as well as players named Lester (some actually think he drafted him), Freddy Sanchez (all-star caliber infielder), Casey Fossum (worthless scarecrow), Shea Hillenbrand (punk) and Manny DelCarmen (home town hero).  Far too early to tell whether or not guys like Kelly and Rizzo are worth more than a bucket of baseballs.  That will be determined a couple of years from now. 

Hate to burst your bubble, but neither the "immortal" Josh Reddick nor the "immortal" Ryan Kalish were considered even top 50 prospects by the folks who compile those types of lists at the beginning of each season and the best player that Epstein ever drafted who has success on another team "so far" is a pitcher named Justin Masterson.  He's OK, but nothing special.   Believe the Sox have a couple of top prospects named Kelly who was dealt to San Diego and a youngster named Iglesias who is near the bottom of the top 50.  Bard and Papelbon were drafted in the first or second round as starting pitchers and demoted to the bullpen and Pedroia and Ellsbury have been excellent high round draft picks.  David Robertson of the Yankees was a 16th round draft pick if memory serves and he's pretty good from what I hear.  Julio Iglesias who will never, repeat never, be confused with Hanley Ramirez if he even makes it to the big leagues which I doubt.  Good glove, no bat shortstops are not highly coveted in the game today.  The Yankees currently have 4 guys in their system who are "supposedly"  quite talented.  Their names are Jesus Montero, Gary Sanchez, Dellin Betances and Manny Banuelos.  Two are pitchers and two are catchers.  I have no clue as to whether or not they are any good, but some believe they have "potential."  Obviously, one of the catchers will be trade bait in the near future, but I suspect the two pitchers will not be dealt.  I agree wholeheartedly that today is what counts most and I try to share the past simply because I can and for a scant few, it's probably somewhat informative.   

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

Just get rid of Cameron and D-Mac.  I get ill every time they come to the plate.  In addition, when is the last time Scutaro got a clutch hit?  He hits when the Sox are winning 8-1 or 14-2.  Whenever they really need a hit (like multiple times in Pittsburgh) he is an easy out.  He needs to be gone.  He can't field either.  At least Inglesias can field.  He can't either but his defense alone makes him better than Scutaro.
    Posted by splendidsplinterteddyballgame

McDonald is easy to get rid of and will undoubtedly be designated for assignment (released) once the team has 25 healthy players who are better than him and that's not saying much.  He's on life support.  Cameron is in a different category in that he is still quite expensive and has absolutely no trade value.  Cutting him means eating yet another useless contract.  I am pretty sure that Henry and the Sox cartel are tired of paying players to play for other teams as they have many times in Epstein's tenure, but ya gotta do whatever it takes.  I can name over a half dozen Sox players plus off the top of my head who were paid to go away in recent years.  That's the most in baseball by the way for you kids at home.  As far as Scutaro goes, do not be surprised if the Sox trade for and audition a shortstop named Reyes who is currently on the New York Metropolitans assuming they are non contenders in late July.  Knowing the Mets, they would be happy to take guys like the oft injured Lowrie, Dubrount who has no real future with the Sox and either Reddick or Kalish in return for a 2 month rental.  If Reyes does not work out, the Sox will get a first round pick.  If he does and they end up signing him to a long term deal, they will finally stabilize Epstein's chronic "revolving door" position.   It's either a "win win" or a "lose lose" proposition for both clubs depending on what happens a few years down the road. 

Sections
Shortcuts