Ranaudo takes over top Sox pitching prospect?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

Ranaudo takes over top Sox pitching prospect?

As of today it's looking like he is finally living up to his billing as a potential top 5 pick when he was at LSU, but the had a tough jr yr ( due to some injuries) and the Sox scooped him up on the cheap. I would LOVE to see us grab Manaea with pick 7 this yr. with Ranaudo, Manaea, and Owens we would have 3 BIG strong lefties coming up over the next 2 or 3 yrs.my top 5 prospects (pitching) as of today are

Ranaudo

Webster

DeLa rosa

Owens

Barnes 

Add Manaea to that stable and well be bringing up 2 STRONG arms every yr for the Nxt 3 yrs. love it

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Ranaudo takes over top Sox pitching prospect?

Maneas stock value has been dropping, lots of scouts think he falls to the bottom of the first round.  We may not pick 7th for a very very long time I'd rather go with a higher ceiling guy like Stewart or Frazier, and if those guys aren't their then maybe a Shipley.

Im very happy with Ranaudos return to grace, but I still think Barnes might have a higher ceiling, then again so does RDLR, doesn't mean they will reach it....but one can hope.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to makonikyman's comment:

As of today it's looking like he is finally living up to his billing as a potential top 5 pick when he was at LSU, but the had a tough jr yr ( due to some injuries) and the Sox scooped him up on the cheap. I would LOVE to see us grab Manaea with pick 7 this yr. with Ranaudo, Manaea, and Owens we would have 3 BIG strong lefties coming up over the next 2 or 3 yrs.my top 5 prospects (pitching) as of today are

Ranaudo

Webster

DeLa rosa

Owens

Barnes 

Add Manaea to that stable and well be bringing up 2 STRONG arms every yr for the Nxt 3 yrs. love it

Ranaudo is a righty. I agree that he could be the best of our pitching prospects. Not entirely sold on Barnes as yet. Owens is definitely a work in progress. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I think they are pretty close to each other.  When he's on Ranaudo has a better curve, but Barnes fastball is REALLY good.  He can vary it and spot it and when hes on it's like 4 different pitches.  If his secondary stuff develops more then I think Barnes the better of the two.....but it's close. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Soxprospects.com has it this way (rating put out before 2013 began):

1) Webster

2) Barnes

3) de la Rosa

4) Owens

5) Ranaudo

6) Workman

7) A Wilson

8) Britton

9) B Johnson

10) Montas

11) Light

12) Kukuk

13) Buttrey

14) Callahan

15) Mercedes

16) de la Torre

17) Martin

18) Wright

19) Hernandez

20) Doyle

My personal view:

1) Owens

2) Webster

3) de la Rosa

4) Ranaudo

5) Barnes

6) Montas

7) Callahan

8) Johnson

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ranaudo was the top picthing  prospect on the Sox from April 1, 2011 to April 5, 2012 according to soxprospects.com.

http://www.soxprospects.com/history.htm

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Ranaudo use to be my binky...I still think Webster is our top pitching prospect.  That is if you weight ceiling vs proximity to the majors evenly.  If you're going by ceiling alone I think you can make an argument for RDLR and Owens for the top spot.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Ranaudo use to be my binky...I still think Webster is our top pitching prospect.  That is if you weight ceiling vs proximity to the majors evenly.  If you're going by ceiling alone I think you can make an argument for RDLR and Owens for the top spot.

Agreed.

BTW, what's up with Barnes?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Not enough is said about that kid Chris Martin, whats he got like 26 straight innings of scoreless Relief. Between Portland and Pawtucket.
    Other day came in after Webster, Pitched 2.1 scorless relief.
    Saw him Pitch the day he got the call in NB, really liked what I saw.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Barnes has looked good this year.  Not dominant, but good.  He had two rough starts early on that inflated hs era but has looked increasingly better.  I think he has a chance to be the best pitcher in our system now when we look back several years from now.  I think it'll come down to how well his secondary stuff develops, and theres no reason to believe it won't.  I think he will have good control too. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Martin is looking like a future arm in the pen, maybe even this year. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Agreed.

Barnes had 1 good year in the big east,which is an average conferance, and really haven't done much since. That's what's up with him. IMO he's a max 3 guy , and prob a 4 or 5 guy in a rotation the other guys ALL have 1 or 2 potential, except de la Rosa, whom I think is suited for closing. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Saw Barnes Pitch 2 weeks ago against Twins best Prospect. He Pitched a 3 hitter in 6 innings, looked dominant.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Agreed.

Barnes had 1 good year in the big east,which is an average conferance, and really haven't done much since. That's what's up with him. IMO he's a max 3 guy , and prob a 4 or 5 guy in a rotation the other guys ALL have 1 or 2 potential, except de la Rosa, whom I think is suited for closing. 

I'm not saying Ranaudo won't end up better than Barnes, because he vary well may.  But where have you seen any one else suggest that Ranaudo has a higher ceiling than Barnes?....let alone a #1 tag?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

Barnes has looked good this year.  Not dominant, but good.  He had two rough starts early on that inflated hs era but has looked increasingly better.  I think he has a chance to be the best pitcher in our system now when we look back several years from now.  I think it'll come down to how well his secondary stuff develops, and theres no reason to believe it won't.  I think he will have good control too. 

Barnes has been up and down this year. If you want to take away his 2 stinkers, then I ll take away his 2 good games and his era would be about 7.00 or more. It works both ways, he certainly isn't showing to be a tor starter IMO. At least Brian Rose was 17-5 at 21 yrs old at Pawtucket. Barnes will be 23 in a couple of weeks and hasn't dominated double A yet. He's a bottom of the rotation guy and trade bait if you ask me.....but, what do I know

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

Agreed.

I'm not saying Ranaudo won't end up better than Barnes, because he vary well may.  But where have you seen any one else suggest that Ranaudo has a higher ceiling than Barnes?....let alone a #1 tag?

Listen...I follow baseball at the high school and coll level. Not just when they make " redsox prospects.com" or whatever. Ranaudo has been projected to be a 1/2 since early high school. He went to LSU as a stud. Did GREAT his first 2 yrs and was projected to be a top 5 or 10 pick. If not number 1 in the draft that yr. he got dinged up, ran into some problems and slipped but the RS still had to give him a couple of mil to keep him from going back to LSU. NOW...Barnes, he came out of NOWHERE and his jr yr lit it up with Springer etc at Uconn and elevated himself into the 1st round. NOW....who would you take, LONG TERM....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

Agreed.

Listen...I follow baseball at the high school and coll level. Not just when they make " redsox prospects.com" or whatever. Ranaudo has been projected to be a 1/2 since early high school. He went to LSU as a stud. Did GREAT his first 2 yrs and was projected to be a top 5 or 10 pick. If not number 1 in the draft that yr. he got dinged up, ran into some problems and slipped but the RS still had to give him a couple of mil to keep him from going back to LSU. NOW...Barnes, he came out of NOWHERE and his jr yr lit it up with Springer etc at Uconn and elevated himself into the 1st round. NOW....who would you take, LONG TERM....

And oh yeah...one guy played at ALL the best venues ( from travel ball, high schools, and the SEC ) and the other guy played at B level ( Uconn, big east, new England hs and travel ball etc..). NOT CLOSE IMO

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

First of i don't mean any disrespect you have a right to your opinion and to be honest with you I'm excited that we have this much pitching depth in our system to have this debate.  but everything I have read and seen seems to suggest that the industry by far likes Barnes better than Ranaudo.  I've seen front of the rotaton #2 slapped on both of them but never a #1 and everyone ranks Ranaudo behind Bames.

I follow prospects and college as well and consider myself a bit of a prospect junkie so if you have ranking Ranaudo that high I'd love to see it.  

I remember when Ranaudo was considered the best pitcher in college behind Strasberg, but that doesn't mean he will be him and the closer a prospect gets to the majors the better of an ideal you have of their ceiling.  Both pitchers are in Portland now and both look very good, but Ranaudo is also a year older than Barnes and should be ahead of him in his development.  

Ranaudo also has to prove he can stay healthy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Loving the prospect talk.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Ranaudo also has to prove he can stay healthy.

My top 15 starters and where they rate overall....

3-Allen Webster
    0-Rubby De La Rosa
    4-Matt Barnes
    6-Henry Owens
    11-Anthony Ranaudo
    13-Brandon Workman
    15-Frank Montas
    16-Drake Britton
    21-Ty Buttrey
    22-Brian Johnson
    25-Cody Kukuk
    29-Jamie Callahan
    31-Pat Light
    32-Chris Hernandez
    34-Steven Wright

The problem I have with Ranaudo is health. Pure and simple. Ranaudo hasn't been really dominant since 2009, until now. So do you expect Ranaudo to be the 09-13 guy or the 10-11-12 guy.

Because of this doubt, he will be under rated compared to talent for maybe years to come. Its going to take a long stretch of health for me to not fear the surgeon.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwaymike33. Show fenwaymike33's posts

I think Rubby has the chance to be the best pitcher of anyone in the organization. I think his ceiling is much higher than Webster or Ranaudo. He can be an ace. Not sure if anyone else is ace material down the road but we shall see

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I think Rubby has the highest potential out of anyone in our system but I think he also is the most likely of the top 5 to end up in the bullpen.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Not enough is said about that kid Chris Martin, whats he got like 26 straight innings of scoreless Relief. Between Portland and Pawtucket.
    Other day came in after Webster, Pitched 2.1 scorless relief.
    Saw him Pitch the day he got the call in NB, really liked what I saw.

Hes got a cool story too.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2011/07/29/red_sox_farmhand_chris_martin_goes_from_odd_jobs_to_getting_the_job_done/

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think Rubby has the highest potential out of anyone in our system but I think he also is the most likely of the top 5 to end up in the bullpen.

Thats where I am with RDLR right now too. I think he has the most potential, but also is the guy who has the best chance at a closer job as well. Hopefully he realizes the potential and is our "Ace" for a few years.

Barnes Dominated low A ball, as expected. He had a bit of a learning curve at High A then had success, which was expected. Hes had his ups and downs this year in AA this year, but has always shown improvement and a good work ethic. His secondary pitches are getting better and he has a FB that reached the high 90's late into games. Both were thought of as #3's but I think He has TOTR (1-2) potential as well as like Ranaudo.

Either way, with a group of Barnes, Ranaudo, Webster (18th round pick), RDLR, Owens, Workman, and Hernandez the closest ones to the big leagues, things are good.

25. This post has been removed.