Ranaudo takes over top Sox pitching prospect?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Re: Ranaudo takes over top Sox pitching prospect?

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Soxprospects.com has it this way (rating put out before 2013 began):

1) Webster

2) Barnes

3) de la Rosa

4) Owens

5) Ranaudo

6) Workman

7) A Wilson

8) Britton

9) B Johnson

10) Montas

11) Light

12) Kukuk

13) Buttrey

14) Callahan

15) Mercedes

16) de la Torre

17) Martin

18) Wright

19) Hernandez

20) Doyle

My personal view:

1) Owens

2) Webster

3) de la Rosa

4) Ranaudo

5) Barnes

6) Montas

7) Callahan

8) Johnson

Come on moon no love for Workman. I watched him last yr and he was fairly impressive especially against a re-habbing Jayson Werth. Workman might not be dominant but he's been very consistent at each level so far.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Obviously , I have never seen Owens pitch. Looking at his numbers in A Ball , it appears that he is a strikeout pitcher with control problems. Not unusual for a lot of tall left handlers.   He may become a starter in MLB or he may wind up something like Andrew Miller. Too soon to predict.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Workman has a really high effort delivery that just screams bullpen.  One thing Workman has in his favor is he has 4 good pitches, but his downfall is he isn't dominating with any of them.

Workman might have back of the rotaton starter potential in him, but in Boston I'm sure his path to the majors is in the pen.  I could see him getting a spot start or two (maybe even this year) but I doubt he ever competes for a rotation spot.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Ranaudo also has to prove he can stay healthy.

My top 15 starters and where they rate overall....

3-Allen Webster
    0-Rubby De La Rosa
    4-Matt Barnes
    6-Henry Owens
    11-Anthony Ranaudo
    13-Brandon Workman
    15-Frank Montas
    16-Drake Britton
    21-Ty Buttrey
    22-Brian Johnson
    25-Cody Kukuk
    29-Jamie Callahan
    31-Pat Light
    32-Chris Hernandez
    34-Steven Wright

The problem I have with Ranaudo is health. Pure and simple. Ranaudo hasn't been really dominant since 2009, until now. So do you expect Ranaudo to be the 09-13 guy or the 10-11-12 guy.

Because of this doubt, he will be under rated compared to talent for maybe years to come. Its going to take a long stretch of health for me to not fear the surgeon.

Obviously not all those guys will pan out, but it's been a while since they have had this much pitching depth in the minors.  Not to mention the Sox have the potential to add a big arm in the draft.  I have a feeling they will have one of the better bats fall to them but I think there is a chance Stewart gets drafted into the system.  I've read a couple mock drafts and tweets from insiders that the Sox "loath Stewart" I can also see the Sox taking Shipley if all of Appel, Grey, and Stewart are off the board.  Grey and Appel are almost certainly going to be gone, but I think there is a chance Stewart is there. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

1) Owens

2) Webster

3) de la Rosa

4) Ranaudo

5) Barnes

6) Montas

7) Callahan

8) Johnson

Wow, that's a big drop for someone who had the opinion, a few weeks ago, that Webster might be one of the best 3 Red Sox starters. Randaudo and Barnes are the best bets of any two, as to maturing into career long top half of the rotation profiles. De La Roas is overrated, just like velocity is. Owens has a 2nd rate starter, best case, talent. Webster is a bottom tier career starter rotation guy, best case.

Raunado has yet to throw 127 innings at any level in his life.  Until he can prove he can stay healthy and pitch innings he isn't a "best bet" on anything.  Barnes and Webster aren't much better, but at least they've put together consecutive healhty seasons.  This is what happens with prospects time and time and time again.  They can't handle the rigors of starting in the pros and they are ultimately destined to the bullpen.  I'm not saying this is Raunado, he may very well be a middle of the rotation guy maybe even a #2 pitcher but There is no reason to put him ahead of Webster and Barnes at this point.  You can revisist that at the end of the year if Raunado is still dominating AA ball at 23 or if he is holding his own in Pawtucet.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

FWIW the scouts over at baseball america are very very high on Raunado.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to makonikyman's comment:

As of today it's looking like he is finally living up to his billing as a potential top 5 pick when he was at LSU, but the had a tough jr yr ( due to some injuries) and the Sox scooped him up on the cheap. I would LOVE to see us grab Manaea with pick 7 this yr. with Ranaudo, Manaea, and Owens we would have 3 BIG strong lefties coming up over the next 2 or 3 yrs.my top 5 prospects (pitching) as of today are

Ranaudo

Webster

DeLa rosa

Owens

Barnes 

Add Manaea to that stable and well be bringing up 2 STRONG arms every yr for the Nxt 3 yrs. love it

I think Barnes is our best young long term pitcher we have.  I could be wrong but it's nice to have a few options, even nicer if and when any can make a real impact. 

It's easy to say they could make it but when/where and if are the real questions.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Rating these guys is real hard. Who really knows in the long run. Most of these guys just need more work to control their fastball. If they achieve that, as Buchholz did eventually, they can go a long way. My best guess:

Rubby De La Rosa ( the best stuff of all of them IMO but may never have the durability needed )

Allen Webster ( Great stuff but he may never have the control needed )

Matt Barnes ( will take maybe 2 more years but the raw material is there )

Henry Owens ( great stuff but will he control it? )

Anthony Ranaudo ( He reminds me a little of Lackey )

Brandon Workman ( back end of the rotation but a workhorse )

Ty Buttrey ( Raw but he has potential )

Jamie Callahan ( extremely young but a live arm )

Frank Montas ( probably a reliever )

Drake Britton ( probably trade bait or a Morales type reliever or starter depth)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I hope we add Stewart to the mix from this year's draft. We would then have at least 6 top starting pitching prospects in the fold then. That is a game changer potentially, freeing up tons of cash for other needs in future years. Even if just 2 of them hit, that would be great.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Ranaudo goes 7 IP gives up 1 hit walks none and allows zero runs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Ranaudo goes 7 IP gives up 1 hit walks none and allows zero runs.

And 8 punchouts.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Soxprospects.com has it this way (rating put out before 2013 began):

1) Webster

2) Barnes

3) de la Rosa

4) Owens

5) Ranaudo

6) Workman

7) A Wilson

8) Britton

9) B Johnson

10) Montas

11) Light

12) Kukuk

13) Buttrey

14) Callahan

15) Mercedes

16) de la Torre

17) Martin

18) Wright

19) Hernandez

20) Doyle

My personal view:

1) Owens

2) Webster

3) de la Rosa

4) Ranaudo

5) Barnes

6) Montas

7) Callahan

8) Johnson

Come on moon no love for Workman. I watched him last yr and he was fairly impressive especially against a re-habbing Jayson Werth. Workman might not be dominant but he's been very consistent at each level so far.

I suppose I should have rated him top 10, oh wait, I only went 8 deep. I think I'm looking more at high ceiling, not proximity to the bigs.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I know baseball talent.

In an alternate universe, maybe.

Ranaudo and Barnes are the best bets (probability) for top tier rotation career profiles, when it comes to any two. Webster and De La Rosa have received a lot of hype because of the trade. They were the ones traded for a reason. De La Rosa is the most overrated, which comes from the velocity. Webster is a bottom tier, best case, pitcher. The Dodgers did not send their best pitching prospects.

You probably never even saw most of these guys pitch.

de la Rosa and Webster were getting "hype" long before the trade.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I know baseball talent. Ranaudo and Barnes are the best bets (probability) for top tier rotation career profiles, when it comes to any two. Webster and De La Rosa have received a lot of hype because of the trade. They were the ones traded for a reason. De La Rosa is the most overrated, which comes from the velocity. Webster is a bottom tier, best case, pitcher. The Dodgers did not send their best pitching prospects.

I dont think many expected this much from Webster since he was drafted in the 18th round. RDLR seems like a closer role might be his best bet. He has a ++ change up. Mix that in with a high 90's FB and an above average slider and he could be special in that role. His whole thing is control. Both of those 2 were a nice bonus to the deal. I didnt even expect that much of a return along with dropping 260M in payroll. They were both top 5 prospects, so they werent just some 2nd rate guys.

I agree that Barnes and Ranaudo are the 2 best of the group we have. In another couple years we should have a better idea about Owens and maybe even Buttrey.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I've read some conflicting reports on Ranaudo.  Some are higher on him, while others attribute his success to fastball command and aren't that impressed with the secondary stuff.

I dunno, I heard he had a hammer curve and maybe he needs to be more consistent with it.  But coming back after a season of pretty much doing nothing and performing this well at a whole level above is pretty impressive.  Even at 23.  He will get promoted soon enough, probably sometime between the end of June and the end of July. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

I hope we add Stewart to the mix from this year's draft. We would then have at least 6 top starting pitching prospects in the fold then. That is a game changer potentially, freeing up tons of cash for other needs in future years. Even if just 2 of them hit, that would be great.

That's why I'm hoping we take the best arm avail with pick 7. Havithe young power pitching coming up every yr will free up the money needed for the big bat or 2 needed ( Stanton etc, which is a FAR safer bet that spending 20 mil on a tor starter, or...13 mil for the dempsters of the world ) Stewart or Manea would suit me just fine. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

That's why I'm hoping we take the best arm avail with pick 7. Havithe young power pitching coming up every yr will free up the money needed for the big bat or 2 needed ( Stanton etc, which is a FAR safer bet that spending 20 mil on a tor starter, or...13 mil for the dempsters of the world ) Stewart or Manea would suit me just fine. 

I want Frazier.  But I'd be very very happy with Stewart.  If Appel,Grey,Bryant,Moran,Stewart,Frazier all go 1-6 I think the next best pitchers are Tray Ball and Brandon Shipley.  I'd be happy with those guys too.

I don't think Manea comes to the Sox.  He has had multiple injuries and diminished results this year, and he's reportedly heading back for his senior year (he wants top tier money) I remember him as a possibly 1-1 pick earlier, but he has been slowly and slowly falling further down the board. 

We get someone good in the system either way.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

Maneas stock value has been dropping, lots of scouts think he falls to the bottom of the first round.  We may not pick 7th for a very very long time I'd rather go with a higher ceiling guy like Stewart or Frazier, and if those guys aren't their then maybe a Shipley.

Im very happy with Ranaudos return to grace, but I still think Barnes might have a higher ceiling, then again so does RDLR, doesn't mean they will reach it....but one can hope.

Manea will surely NOT drop to the bottom of the first round. He was ranked ah ead of BOTH Appel and Gray going into the season after dominating on the cape last summer. He's fought threw a couple of nagging injuries this spring and the scouts know that. He will go top 10 or 12 IMO and will be a STEAL at that. A guy who could slip to our pick in round 2 though for us that I like who was considered a potential top 10 pick coming into the spring is Jon Crawford of U Fla. Hasn't had a great spring but still has a great arm and would be worth a shot in rnd 2 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Maneas stock value has been dropping, lots of scouts think he falls to the bottom of the first round.  We may not pick 7th for a very very long time I'd rather go with a higher ceiling guy like Stewart or Frazier, and if those guys aren't their then maybe a Shipley.

Im very happy with Ranaudos return to grace, but I still think Barnes might have a higher ceiling, then again so does RDLR, doesn't mean they will reach it....but one can hope.

Manea will surely NOT drop to the bottom of the first round. He was ranked ah ead of BOTH Appel and Gray going into the season after dominating on the cape last summer. He's fought threw a couple of nagging injuries this spring and the scouts know that. He will go top 10 or 12 IMO and will be a STEAL at that. A guy who could slip to our pick in round 2 though for us that I like who was considered a potential top 10 pick coming into the spring is Jon Crawford of U Fla. Hasn't had a great spring but still has a great arm and would be worth a shot in rnd 2 

I've seen multiple reports that it is all but certain that Manea will go back for his senior year if he isn't drafted in the first round and he wants top ten money.  2 years ago the Red Sox or Yankees sign that kinda player in the later first round.  They often always take the presumed top talent that falls for verious reasons (Ranaudo for example)  but with the new CBA and bonus restrictions there is no way Manea gets the money he wants unless he returns for his senior season and performs well.  Maybe the Yankees try to steal him.  They do have 3 first round picks.  They can sign seniors with 2 of those picks and sign below slow deals and spread their money to Manea.  But I think that would blow up their entire draft. 

His arm has all but fallen off this year....he falls.  I like Crawford, If he is still there I hope they take him.

two other names I like: Josh Hart; OF,HS: Ryan Boldt; OF,HS. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

I've seen multiple reports that it is all but certain that Manea will go back for his senior year if he isn't drafted in the first round and he wants top ten money.  2 years ago the Red Sox or Yankees sign that kinda player in the later first round.  They often always take the presumed top talent that falls for verious reasons (Ranaudo for example)  but with the new CBA and bonus restrictions there is no way Manea gets the money he wants unless he returns for his senior season and performs well.  Maybe the Yankees try to steal him.  They do have 3 first round picks.  They can sign seniors with 2 of those picks and sign below slow deals and spread their money to Manea.  But I think that would blow up their entire draft. 

His arm has all but fallen off this year....he falls.  I like Crawford, If he is still there I hope they take him.

two other names I like: Josh Hart; OF,HS: Ryan Boldt; OF,HS. 

Don't know those 2 hs kids. But your right, if Frazier is there, and they think he can be a potential all star out fielder for many yrs then he will be tough to pass up. I follow more high school and coll ball now than pro. I'm down here in swfl for the past ten yrs. on my sons travel ball team (Tampa warriors) in 2011 we had 3 1st rnd picks and a 3rd. ( Jose Fernandez, Marlins. Ty Hensly, Lance McCullers, and Avery Romero) Also Luke Weaver (fl st) Jay Carmichael ( U.F) and many more. My son broke his wrist diving for a ball in the of the fall of his senior yr and his draft hopes went down the tubes. We opted to go the juco route down here ( same school that produced Angel Pagan, Johnny Venters, Luke Scott and others) to restablish his draft status instead of waiting the 3 yrs. I love seeing Jose Fernandez pitching for the Marlins knowing my son was catchinghim at 15. It's a pretty cool thing.        

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

I know this is a Sox thread, but just want to jump in quick on another subject. Rays promoted Alex Colome, keep an eye on this kid. Saw him pitch a couple of times on TV as a starter. Read that they are going to put him in BP.
    Sorry for interuption. Back to our regularly scheduled program.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I want Frazier.  But I'd be very very happy with Stewart.  If Appel,Grey,Bryant,Moran,Stewart,Frazier all go 1-6 I think the next best pitchers are Tray Ball and Brandon Shipley.  I'd be happy with those guys too.

I don't think Manea comes to the Sox.  He has had multiple injuries and diminished results this year, and he's reportedly heading back for his senior year (he wants top tier money) I remember him as a possibly 1-1 pick earlier, but he has been slowly and slowly falling further down the board. 

I like Ball for the fact he is a solid 2-way player. His big knock is repeating his delivery, which is hard for a 6'6 LHP. already a good change though. He would make 2  6'6 LHP with owens.

Im not a big shipley guy, but wouldnt complain at all if they got him.

I dont think Bryant will be there, but I like  Domenic Smith (HS) a lot too. OF/1b and looks like he has an advanced approach at the plate already. Good bat from the left side. Has a howitzer for an arm too.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

Don't know about the "multiple" injuries with Manaea. He's battled a nagging hip flexer this spring and has had a down yr for him ( 5-4, 1.60 era, 88k in 68 ip ) but before that the prior 2 yrs was the best pitcher wherever he was, including the cape last summer where he was voted the top prospect (and also voted the top prospect the summer before in the summer league he played in) on the cape last summer he was unhit table. Sitting 93/95 touching 97 with a plus curve and change. He reminds me a lot of Chris sale who I got to watch a bit down here at fgcu. At 6'5" 235 though he is built to be a David price type horse. Believe me....If we get him, he will not be in the minors long at all. Both Sale and Price I believe only played one yr in the minors before making the jump. He's a sure bet IMO...