Ranaudo takes over top Sox pitching prospect?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Ranaudo takes over top Sox pitching prospect?

In response to makonikyman's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

I hope we add Stewart to the mix from this year's draft. We would then have at least 6 top starting pitching prospects in the fold then. That is a game changer potentially, freeing up tons of cash for other needs in future years. Even if just 2 of them hit, that would be great.

That's why I'm hoping we take the best arm avail with pick 7. Havithe young power pitching coming up every yr will free up the money needed for the big bat or 2 needed ( Stanton etc, which is a FAR safer bet that spending 20 mil on a tor starter, or...13 mil for the dempsters of the world ) Stewart or Manea would suit me just fine. 

I want Frazier.  But I'd be very very happy with Stewart.  If Appel,Grey,Bryant,Moran,Stewart,Frazier all go 1-6 I think the next best pitchers are Tray Ball and Brandon Shipley.  I'd be happy with those guys too.

I don't think Manea comes to the Sox.  He has had multiple injuries and diminished results this year, and he's reportedly heading back for his senior year (he wants top tier money) I remember him as a possibly 1-1 pick earlier, but he has been slowly and slowly falling further down the board. 

We get someone good in the system either way.

Don't know about the "multiple" injuries with Manaea. He's battled a nagging hip flexer this spring and has had a down yr for him ( 5-4, 1.60 era, 88k in 68 ip ) but before that the prior 2 yrs was the best pitcher wherever he was, including the cape last summer where he was voted the top prospect (and also voted the top prospect the summer before in the summer league he played in) on the cape last summer he was unhit table. Sitting 93/95 touching 97 with a plus curve and change. He reminds me a lot of Chris sale who I got to watch a bit down here at fgcu. At 6'5" 235 though he is built to be a David price type horse. Believe me....If we get him, he will not be in the minors long at all. Both Sale and Price I believe only played one yr in the minors before making the jump. He's a sure bet IMO...

I like Manaea too. I hope because of his down year that he drops to us. The choices I suggested were secondary choices if we dont get, who I think are the top picks.

Like Ranaudo, he showed his stuff in the Cape League. If his injury hes been dealing with is not going to affect him long term, then taking him at #7 would be a good choice.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'm going out on a limb and saying Manea goes back to college, he might get drafted but I bet he doesn't sign.  Keith law did a mock today having the Sox take Meadows (with Frazier still available) at 7. He also laid out a very unlikely but plausible scenario where Appel may fall to the Sox.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

I'm going out on a limb and saying Manea goes back to college, he might get drafted but I bet he doesn't sign.  Keith law did a mock today having the Sox take Meadows (with Frazier still available) at 7. He also laid out a very unlikely but plausible scenario where Appel may fall to the Sox.

Would be VERY happy with Appel. I can't see Manaea going back for his senior yr if he's picked at 7 and the sox give him slot or slightly above. Don't know who his agent is but if I was his father I'd tell him to get out there and not w orry about the money. Appel was a diff story last yr, first...he had sh$&hea! Boros, and second, he had a Stanford degree to finish, and third, his Dad is loaded. Indiana state doesn't exactly compare with Stanford as far as degrees go..:), and my guess is Manaea parents don't have the same pocket book as Appels parents do. That's just my rationale...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

I hope we add Stewart to the mix from this year's draft. We would then have at least 6 top starting pitching prospects in the fold then. That is a game changer potentially, freeing up tons of cash for other needs in future years. Even if just 2 of them hit, that would be great.

That's why I'm hoping we take the best arm avail with pick 7. Havithe young power pitching coming up every yr will free up the money needed for the big bat or 2 needed ( Stanton etc, which is a FAR safer bet that spending 20 mil on a tor starter, or...13 mil for the dempsters of the world ) Stewart or Manea would suit me just fine. 

I want Frazier.  But I'd be very very happy with Stewart.  If Appel,Grey,Bryant,Moran,Stewart,Frazier all go 1-6 I think the next best pitchers are Tray Ball and Brandon Shipley.  I'd be happy with those guys too.

I don't think Manea comes to the Sox.  He has had multiple injuries and diminished results this year, and he's reportedly heading back for his senior year (he wants top tier money) I remember him as a possibly 1-1 pick earlier, but he has been slowly and slowly falling further down the board. 

We get someone good in the system either way.

Don't know about the "multiple" injuries with Manaea. He's battled a nagging hip flexer this spring and has had a down yr for him ( 5-4, 1.60 era, 88k in 68 ip ) but before that the prior 2 yrs was the best pitcher wherever he was, including the cape last summer where he was voted the top prospect (and also voted the top prospect the summer before in the summer league he played in) on the cape last summer he was unhit table. Sitting 93/95 touching 97 with a plus curve and change. He reminds me a lot of Chris sale who I got to watch a bit down here at fgcu. At 6'5" 235 though he is built to be a David price type horse. Believe me....If we get him, he will not be in the minors long at all. Both Sale and Price I believe only played one yr in the minors before making the jump. He's a sure bet IMO...

I like Manaea too. I hope because of his down year that he drops to us. The choices I suggested were secondary choices if we dont get, who I think are the top picks.

Like Ranaudo, he showed his stuff in the Cape League. If his injury hes been dealing with is not going to affect him long term, then taking him at #7 would be a good choice.

He's had a nagging hip flexer....tough injury for a pitcher, but certainly not red flag. To his credit, he battled through it, missed a couple starts and it's affected his conditioning and velo a bit. But they say his velo has been picking up his last few starts. He would be a SCORE at 7. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I see both of your sides and they are both valid. Id have to agree though, that if Manaea is picked at #7 Im not sure he would take a chance for next year and turn down the slotted signing bonus.

I dont think my picks for the Sox are the same as what they are thinking though. I think they will go with Frazier if hes there.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

I see both of your sides and they are both valid. Id have to agree though, that if Manaea is picked at #7 Im not sure he would take a chance for next year and turn down the slotted signing bonus.

I dont think my picks for the Sox are the same as what they are thinking though. I think they will go with Frazier if hes there.

Yeah....would like to be in the war room June 10th though and have a vote...:)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I think any other year prior to 2011 Sean Manea was a first round (maybe late first round early 2nd) pick.  Because a team could sign him and throw money at him if he slips.

However today there are very harsh Bonus pools put into place.  If a team spends over their bonus pool by up to 5% they pay a 75% penalty tax.  If they go over 5 but <10% they pay that tax and lose a 1st and 2nd rounder. And they get harsher after that.  So no team is going to overspend for Manea.  Most teams don't have the money to spend on Manea, with the exception of maybe the Astros and the teams on the top of this list:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/draft-bonus-pools-rise-8-2-percent/

But most of those teams have top 10 picks, that's why they have more money. If a team signs Sean Manea and can't sign him.  For example if the Red Sox draft Sean Manea and he turns down the slot value for the sox ($3.26 million) that amount is subtracted from their $6.8 million.  So they only have 3.5 million to sign the rest of their picks.

A player like Manea who can earn 1-1 money, if he is being advised (and it appears he is) to go back to college and go back into the draft next year (just like Appel did this year) he very well may do that.

The Sox have much better options at that pick, where they can likely get a Frazier or Stewart for Slot. (maybe slightly above for Stewart) or they can even brake a deal with a Meadows and go after a hard sign with their second pick.

This eludes into the Yankees drafting Sean Manea.  If any team does it I think it is New York.  If you fail to sign a pick in the first couple rounds you lose that money, but if you sign a player for below slot that you SAVE the balance.  The Yankee's have 3 picks in the first round and that adds to their total bonus pool.  I can see the Yankees drafting 2 safe college picks and then taking Manea with the third pick.  They can sign two of those guys for well below slot and throw the rest of the money to Manea.

I still say he doesn't sign, but just for haha's here is a scenario where he could possibly sign with the red sox.

The Red Sox first two picks are protected.  They could sign a guy like Austin Meadows with the 7th pick (he is ranked below Frazier, but there are some out there who think he may actually be the best outfielder in this draft) Austin Meadows agent has said publicly that they would cut a deal to move into the top ten.  The Sox could then Draft Manea if he falls to their second pick (which I think there is a chance with his tough language the past couple weeks).  We wpould probably have to move around some more money elsewhere as well to make room for him but we did that last year.  With can draft another hard sign in the first 5 rounds too, so if we fail to sign Manea we can use saved money on another prospect.  If this Happens we will receive the 46th pick in next years draft (plus our 2nd rounder based on record)

Go to Soxprospects.com and look at the Draft History section and check out the signing bonuses.  They drafted almost ALL college seniors from rounds 5 and on.  They signed some of these guys to 10,000 and 1,000 bonuses and probably saved (without doing the math) somewhere around 500,000-800,000 and used that money to sign Buttrey and Callahan. 

Manea may not be that guy, actually I'm saying he isn't but I can see the Sox do something similiar to that this year. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

I think any other year prior to 2011 Sean Manea was a first round (maybe late first round early 2nd) pick.  Because a team could sign him and throw money at him if he slips.

However today there are very harsh Bonus pools put into place.  If a team spends over their bonus pool by up to 5% they pay a 75% penalty tax.  If they go over 5 but <10% they pay that tax and lose a 1st and 2nd rounder. And they get harsher after that.  So no team is going to overspend for Manea.  Most teams don't have the money to spend on Manea, with the exception of maybe the Astros and the teams on the top of this list:

But most of those teams have top 10 picks, that's why they have more money. If a team signs Sean Manea and can't sign him.  For example if the Red Sox draft Sean Manea and he turns down the slot value for the sox ($3.26 million) that amount is subtracted from their $6.8 million.  So they only have 3.5 million to sign the rest of their picks.

A player like Manea who can earn 1-1 money, if he is being advised (and it appears he is) to go back to college and go back into the draft next year (just like Appel did this year) he very well may do that.

The Sox have much better options at that pick, where they can likely get a Frazier or Stewart for Slot. (maybe slightly above for Stewart) or they can even brake a deal with a Meadows and go after a hard sign with their second pick.

This eludes into the Yankees drafting Sean Manea.  If any team does it I think it is New York.  If you fail to sign a pick in the first couple rounds you lose that money, but if you sign a player for below slot that you SAVE the balance.  The Yankee's have 3 picks in the first round and that adds to their total bonus pool.  I can see the Yankees drafting 2 safe college picks and then taking Manea with the third pick.  They can sign two of those guys for well below slot and throw the rest of the money to Manea.

I still say he doesn't sign, but just for haha's here is a scenario where he could possibly sign with the red sox.

The Red Sox first two picks are protected.  They could sign a guy like Austin Meadows with the 7th pick (he is ranked below Frazier, but there are some out there who think he may actually be the best outfielder in this draft) Austin Meadows agent has said publicly that they would cut a deal to move into the top ten.  The Sox could then Draft Manea if he falls to their second pick (which I think there is a chance with his tough language the past couple weeks).  We wpould probably have to move around some more money elsewhere as well to make room for him but we did that last year.  With can draft another hard sign in the first 5 rounds too, so if we fail to sign Manea we can use saved money on another prospect.  If this Happens we will receive the 46th pick in next years draft (plus our 2nd rounder based on record)

Go to Soxprospects.com and look at the Draft History section and check out the signing bonuses.  They drafted almost ALL college seniors from rounds 5 and on.  They signed some of these guys to 10,000 and 1,000 bonuses and probably saved (without doing the math) somewhere around 500,000-800,000 and used that money to sign Buttrey and Callahan. 

Manea may not be that guy, actually I'm saying he isn't but I can see the Sox do something similiar to that this year. 

Good stuff, thanks. See you in NB, when Portland comes in.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

When does Portland come to town again? is it in June?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

July 22, 23, 24. Last game starts at 12:05. Call ups should be soon after that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Well, I'm sure someone will still be there.  That's right around call up time.  I think some guys will move in mid June, then there will be a second wave late July early August.

Between Barnes/Ranaudo/Workman/Britton there is so much to look forward too.  The only guy in that group I can see getting a promotion earlier than July 22nd is possibly Anthony Ranaudo.  But who knows maybe they want him to have one  full season of sustained success after missing last year, it will be interesting to see what they do.

Actually I think it's more likely that some good prospects to watch get promoted from Salem. I think Gecchini will be in Portland by years end.  It would be really nice to see Barnes and Ranaudo pitch and see Bogaerts and Cecchini all in the same series. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

You betcha. Reading your Posts and other about Upcoming Draft. Hope our Scouts, and Evaluators did their job.
    I still say Free Agency is going other way, to build your team the right way is through the Draft, and finding Diamonds in the Rough, from other Organizations bad evaluations.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

I would also like the Sox to invest Good money to Other Teams Scouts, that have a history or good Track Record in Scouting and Player Evaluations. Worth the money, in the long run. Thats the Free Agency I like.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

It's very interesting on what is happening in the scouting community with everything that has been going on.  There might be an internation draft next year as well.  I wonder if they ever merge both drafts. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Good info CT. Im just getting used to all the nuances and rules regarding the new draft rules. ]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

You betcha. Reading your Posts and other about Upcoming Draft. Hope our Scouts, and Evaluators did their job.
    I still say Free Agency is going other way, to build your team the right way is through the Draft, and finding Diamonds in the Rough, from other Organizations bad evaluations.

I agree 100%. This is where Ben and Farrells scouting and development skills come into play big time. Farell recieving an award when he was head of S&D in Cleveland and Ben has been in the Sox system for 15 years having worked extensively in S&D.

Fre Agents will be used sparingly and will cost more with the new sytem in place. There is no limit in FA like there is in the Drafts.

The "bridge" year(s) this team is in right now suggests that they are aware of this and are looking to build from within and use FA sparingly. Sort term deals for more money right now until the "kids" are ready. When they are ready, they will not have such a big need to spend so much on FA like they are now.

The Farm system is really balanced, save for the OF. They have a good amout of pitching prospects, Middle IF'er and corner IF'er, mostly 3bmen that can switch to 1b if need be, throughout the system. The only weakness I see right now is OF. After JBJ and Brentz, I dont see any potential full time starters right now. That could obviously change over the next year though.

Thats why I think Frazier or Medows is what direction they will go with their top pick. Hunter Renfroe is a good RF power bat with a good arm as well. We have a David Renfroe in the system, any relation? Both are from MS. They worry though if his bat would translate to higher velocities in MLB.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

I agree 100%. This is where Ben and Farrells scouting and development skills come into play big time. Farell recieving an award when he was head of S&D in Cleveland and Ben has been in the Sox system for 15 years having worked extensively in S&D.

Fre Agents will be used sparingly and will cost more with the new sytem in place. There is no limit in FA like there is in the Drafts.

The "bridge" year(s) this team is in right now suggests that they are aware of this and are looking to build from within and use FA sparingly. Sort term deals for more money right now until the "kids" are ready. When they are ready, they will not have such a big need to spend so much on FA like they are now.

The Farm system is really balanced, save for the OF. They have a good amout of pitching prospects, Middle IF'er and corner IF'er, mostly 3bmen that can switch to 1b if need be, throughout the system. The only weakness I see right now is OF. After JBJ and Brentz, I dont see any potential full time starters right now. That could obviously change over the next year though.

Thats why I think Frazier or Medows is what direction they will go with their top pick. Hunter Renfroe is a good RF power bat with a good arm as well. We have a David Renfroe in the system, any relation? Both are from MS. They worry though if his bat would translate to higher velocities in MLB.

OF depth is definitely a weakness of the system. JBJ will be a starter but after him the only good prospect we have is Brentz, and he's...ehh he is ok.  I think that changes when the Sox draft Frazier (this is my pick for #7)  If they end up going with a Stewart or another pitcher with the first pick I can see the Sox drafting a highschooler with their second pick.  

I firmly believe that the Sox take the best talent available regardless of position.  However is there a concrete board or do they have players in tiers? I would love to be in the War Room come draft day and see.  For example when the Sox get to pick #45 will there be 1 clear cut player that is the best payer available that they draft? or is their a tier of players that perhaps they pick from depending on other factors.  

I dunno, like I said it would be so so interesting to be able to see the discussion that takes place when these decisions are made.  There are some that say if the Sox draft a college pitcher at #7 they go highschool at #45 and vis versa.  Then again, the Sox have never been in this draft position with this managment team, and under these rules.......so we really have no idea what they will do.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

What's the deal with Michael Almanzar, and his future at 3rd base?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I heard his defense is not very good.  He is destined for first base, which puts a lot of pressure on his offense.  He has also had discipline problems as well.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Ranaudo use to be my binky...I still think Webster is our top pitching prospect.  That is if you weight ceiling vs proximity to the majors evenly.  If you're going by ceiling alone I think you can make an argument for RDLR and Owens for the top spot.

Agreed.

BTW, what's up with Barnes?

Barnes had 1 good year in the big east,which is an average conferance, and really haven't done much since. That's what's up with him. IMO he's a max 3 guy , and prob a 4 or 5 guy in a rotation the other guys ALL have 1 or 2 potential, except de la Rosa, whom I think is suited for closing. 

I'm not saying Ranaudo won't end up better than Barnes, because he vary well may.  But where have you seen any one else suggest that Ranaudo has a higher ceiling than Barnes?....let alone a #1 tag?

[/QUOTE]

Does he have the no. Tag yet?...if not, he sure is making a case for it....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Ranaudo was really good last night, 7.2inn, 2 H, 2BB, 13 K's.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

As a guy who is about to be 24 he really should be dominating the competition right now.  The fact that he is and has such good numbers bodes well for him to stick as a starter.  But I think a #1 tag is excessive; almost no one gets that tag.  You have to be the prospect equivalent of a Xander Bogaerts (for a pitcher to get that tag)  He did lose a year of development from his injury so I'll give him that (for his age advancement) I think a #2 is a realistic ceiling with a very strong chance of being at least a #4 #5 guy.  And that's if nothing else develops (and theres no reason to think it won't)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

As a guy who is about to be 24 he really should be dominating the competition right now.  The fact that he is and has such good numbers bodes well for him to stick as a starter.  But I think a #1 tag is excessive; almost no one gets that tag.  You have to be the prospect equivalent of a Xander Bogaerts (for a pitcher to get that tag)  He did lose a year of development from his injury so I'll give him that (for his age advancement) I think a #2 is a realistic ceiling with a very strong chance of being at least a #4 #5 guy.  And that's if nothing else develops (and theres no reason to think it won't)

I misunderstood your no. Tag comment. I wrote at the top of the thread that he was the no. Pitching prospect in the sox system, ...who knows if he's going to be a potenial1 , 2 or 5...only time will tell...but I believe as we speak he is the no. 1 pitching prospect in our system..

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

I misunderstood your no. Tag comment. I wrote at the top of the thread that he was the no. Pitching prospect in the sox system, ...who knows if he's going to be a potenial1 , 2 or 5...only time will tell...but I believe as we speak he is the no. 1 pitching prospect in our system..

[/QUOTE]

I would still have a hard time putting him ahead of Webster still at this point (although I think he's closing the gap)  But if he carry's his success over into Pawtucket this year then I can definitely jump on that bandwagon. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ranaudo tied Jon Lesters record last night for most K's in Portland SeaDogs franchise history with 13. A promotion is coming soon. He has nothing left to prove in AA. Hes a year behind schedule because of the injuries over the last year or so, so this is no surprise to some of us. Good for him and maybe we will see him in Boston sooner, rather than later.

http://news.soxprospects.com/2013/06/cup-of-coffee-anthony-ranaudo-ties.html