Random thoughts while waiting for play to resume on Friday

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Random thoughts while waiting for play to resume on Friday

1.)  Note to Theo:  Let's see. Adrian Gonzalez has played all but one game and looks fresh and alive.  The entire pitching staff seems to be on and off the DL. Could the pitchers please work out with Mr. Gonzalez this off-season?  Reduce the injuries, restore our faith in the pitching staff, etc.? Thanks.

2.)  So now the 2011 World Series is going to be played with four games in the NL park, which means the AL champ (TBD) will have to play without a DH.  This issue has now progressed beyond a point of discussion for the sake of purists.  It's just fair play. (Well, not just now - it has been for awhile.) The DH should be embraced universally or rejected universally. Bud? Can you hear me?

3.)  In Shaughnessy's column today: "(Commissioner Bud Selig) said baseball embraces the designated hitter and is unlikely to change the NL and AL’s separate rules.  Selig admitted, “I’m the only one left in the American League - in December of ’72, I voted for the DH, which is shocking because I never voted for anything that Charlie Finley wanted.’’

And maybe voting against Finley was just a good idea in general, Bud. It prevented you from voting for ideas. Finley only cared about himself and his attendance figures. The rest of baseball could take a long walk off a short pier.

The DH rule combinded with the All-Star Game determining home field for the WS are two bad ideas that do NOT produce a good idea.

Sorry, Bud.  You. Are. A. Moron!

Proof once again that this is Bud Selig's Bizarro Baseball Universe, and we are just visitors.

3.) Waiting for play to resume on Friday.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: Random thoughts while waiting for play to resume on Friday

In Response to Random thoughts while waiting for play to resume on Friday:
    [QUOTE]1.)  Note to Theo:  Let's see. Adrian Gonzalez has played all but one game and looks fresh and alive.  The entire pitching staff seems to be on and off the DL. Could the pitchers please work out with Mr. Gonzalez this off-season?  Reduce the injuries, restore our faith in the pitching staff, etc.? Thanks. 2.)  So now the 2011 World Series is going to be played with four games in the NL park, which means the AL champ (TBD) will have to play without a DH.  This issue has now progressed beyond a point of discussion for the sake of purists.  It's just fair play. (Well, not just now - it has been for awhile.) The DH should be embraced universally or rejected universally. Bud? Can you hear me?   3.)  In Shaughnessy's column today: "(Commissioner Bud Selig) said baseball embraces the designated hitter and is unlikely to change the NL and AL’s separate rules.  Selig admitted, “I’m the only one left in the American League - in December of ’72, I voted for the DH, which is shocking because I never voted for anything that Charlie Finley wanted.’’ And maybe voting against Finley was just a good idea in general, Bud. It prevented you from voting for ideas. Finley only cared about himself and his attendance figures. The rest of baseball could take a long walk off a short pier. The DH rule combinded with the All-Star Game determining home field for the WS are two bad ideas that do NOT produce a good idea. Sorry, Bud.  You. Are. A. Moron! Proof once again that this is Bud Selig's Bizarro Baseball Universe, and we are just visitors. 3.) Waiting for play to resume on Friday.  
    Posted by summerof67[/QUOTE]

I never liked Selig, he just wants to live in his perfect world.  Turning his back on real issues and not upsetting the "status quo" has been his MO for years. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpikeCunn5. Show SpikeCunn5's posts

1) Ellsbury has played all but 1 game also, do you think they got together last winter?

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

stop whining about the DH already - it is the American league that changed the rules of the game, not the National League...they won the game last nite and deserve home field

let's worry about staying in first - as it was stated many times this week that the Sox always seem to be in first at the break but rarely hang on to win the division

thank God for the Wild Card....Red Sox fans need to remember that and thank Bud and the Commish's office everyday for allowing that to happen

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Heres a random thought - 

Wouldn't it be great in the midst of all these pitching injuries if John Lackey saves the day and puts together a string of good starts?

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

In Response to Re: Random thoughts while waiting for play to resume on Friday:
    [QUOTE]Heres a random thought -  Wouldn't it be great in the midst of all these pitching injuries if John Lackey saves the day and puts together a string of good starts?
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

I was thinking along the same line.  Lackey has an opportunity to step it up at this critical point in the season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

Here are a few more thoughts/hopes:

With the fragile (to put it mildly) status of the rotation, wouldn't it be nice if Wheeler and/or Jenks became a reliable option out of the pen.  Without at least one of them its likely Bard, Aceves and Paps will get too much work trying to get to post season, and may be spent.

Matt Albers is my pick for unsung player of the year.  Let's hope he remains steady down the stretch.  He has pitched some very valuable innings.

I echo the earlier thought that a nice second half by Lackey would be huge, but I won't bet the ranch.

Can CC finish the year at .270/.320/.725 with 25 SBs?  It will take a nice second half to get to these very mediocre numbers.

My fear is that Miller will pitch his way out of the rotation by late August.  The O's game showed that he will struggle against lineups that are patient and make him throw strikes.  Someone from the farm will need to step up unless another starter is added by trade. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

sorry summer67

buds my man and I don't really get where coming from

unless you are still pouting about ortiz

which means the AL champ (TBD) will have to play without a DH.

actually it means no teams will have a DH

which is more fair for those teams who don't have that extra high paid guy

sitting around for  14  gms a yr

The DH should be embraced universally or rejected universally. Bud? Can you hear me? 

why are you talking to him ?

shouldn't you be talking to the NL owners

or the MLBPA

personally I like the variety

even if the NL adapts I would like to see some games without a DH

and there is no other place in the world to do that

The DH rule combinded with the All-Star Game determining home field for the WS are two bad ideas that do NOT produce a good idea.

we disagree there............twice

Sorry, Bud.  You. Are. A. Moron! Proof once again that this is Bud Selig's Bizarro Baseball Universe, and we are just visitors.

Bud Selig's Bizarro Baseball Universe is in a lot better shape than back in 67

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Absolutely, Lackey will save us all, every last one of us. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Daniel Bard not being selected to the All-Star team was one of the major injustices of recent years.

Not that he couldn't use a few days of R & R.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]1) Ellsbury has played all but 1 game also, do you think they got together last winter?
    Posted by SpikeCunn5[/QUOTE]

I saw that, Spike, but forgot to include it. Thanks for the pick-up.  One wonders where Ells worked out this winter, but it certainly worked.  Restored my faith in him.   Wonder how long he will be with BOS. Thanks for engaging in the dialogue!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Random thoughts while waiting for play to resume on Friday : I never liked Selig, he just wants to live in his perfect world.  Turning his back on real issues and not upsetting the "status quo" has been his MO for years. 
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

I totally agree, craze. Thanks.  His perfect world exists between his ears.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]stop whining about the DH already - it is the American league that changed the rules of the game, not the National League...they won the game last nite and deserve home field let's worry about staying in first - as it was stated many times this week that the Sox always seem to be in first at the break but rarely hang on to win the division thank God for the Wild Card....Red Sox fans need to remember that and thank Bud and the Commish's office everyday for allowing that to happen
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback, geo. Yeah, I had a burr up my butt this morning and the DH just seemed to present itself as my whine of the month.

You're totally correct about staying in first and retaining home field advantage for the playoffs. Would settle for getting to the WS over settling the DH question, truth to tell. 

And with the Red Sox road record looking so good now, despite the 0-6 road record that started the season, I would take my chances with the current BOS lineup even as the NL has home field advantage for the WS.

And props to you for mentioning the WC, which I happen to like - even if it does result in some games being played in November.  I think expanding the WC is a bad idea, but that will take care of itself.

Thanks for the feedback...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]Heres a random thought -  Wouldn't it be great in the midst of all these pitching injuries if John Lackey saves the day and puts together a string of good starts?
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

Wow. Your mouth to God's ears, ct.  It could definitely happen - given Lackey's record prior to arriving in Boston.

Hope it happens.

Thanks.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Summer, pitching and hitting/playing first base are two totally different beasts.  Not saying beckett's back issues didn't have to do with being out of shape.  But, conditioning is one thing.  But, the physical action of pitching a baseball, which these guys repeat time and time again, is one that goes totally contrary to the natural, healthy movement range of shoulder, upper and lower back, torso, elbow, biceps, wrist, fingers, neck, and eyes if you are Fernando Valenzuela.  Freeze frame any pitcher's motion from the point of the leg plant forward, and it looks like a frame out of  a horror movie.  Pitchers are always going to be injured more than position players.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]If the Yanks didn't have David Robertson, they would be at least 5 games out of 1st place.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

And if the Red Sox had only gone 6-6 instead of 2-10 to start the season, they would be 5 games up now.

But if the queen had testicles, she would be the king.  Useless to speculate, there...

Though Mr. Robertson's success story is to be applauded, even if it occurs with the dreaded Yankees.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]sorry summer67 buds my man and I don't really get where coming from unless you are still pouting about ortiz which means the AL champ (TBD) will have to play without a DH. actually it means no teams will have a DH which is more fair for those teams who don't have that extra high paid guy sitting around for  14  gms a yr  The DH should be embraced universally or rejected universally. Bud? Can you hear me?  why are you talking to him ? shouldn't you be talking to the NL owners or the MLBPA personally I like the variety even if the NL adapts I would like to see some games without a DH and there is no other place in the world to do that The DH rule combinded with the All-Star Game determining home field for the WS are two bad ideas that do NOT produce a good idea. we disagree there............twice Sorry, Bud.  You. Are. A. Moron! Proof once again that this is Bud Selig's Bizarro Baseball Universe, and we are just visitors. Bud Selig's Bizarro Baseball Universe is in a lot better shape than back in 67
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

Wow, Zac. So many talking points, so little time...

Uh, as mentioned above, I just had a burr up my butt about Selig, or Zelig, or whoever he is today.

Wah! Wah!

There, I feel better.

Sure I should be talking to the NL types, but the commish has the power to impose his will for the good of baseball - it's right there in the rules. So he can impose the DH on the NL, or do away with the DH in the AL. Simple.

There should be a better way to settle the home field in the WS, though. The AS game is just a solution for now.

Is BB better off now than in 1967? Yes and no. The quality of play was higher, I think, because there were fewer teams to dilute the talent pool.  (And yes I am including the 1967 Mets in this category.)  We also had pitchers hitting for themselves.  If it were not for Jim Lonborg's bunt on the last day of the season against Twins and Dean Chance, the rally would not have occurred and we would still be whining about '67. 

But the good news is that there is more baseball available in more cities and available to more people on a high level. With a few exceptions, those cities have darn good teams that provide a good evening's entertainment. 

And playoffs were started since 1967 - under Bowie Kuhn - so were night games in the WS. And free agency came into its own since '67 as well.

So in many, many ways, you are correct.  Taken against my only complaint so far - the DH providing inequity - there is very little to complain about.  Baseball IS in far better shape than it was then.

We are not so far apart, really. 

Let's play two today, Zac.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]Here are a few more thoughts/hopes: With the fragile (to put it mildly) status of the rotation, wouldn't it be nice if Wheeler and/or Jenks became a reliable option out of the pen.  Without at least one of them its likely Bard, Aceves and Paps will get too much work trying to get to post season, and may be spent. Matt Albers is my pick for unsung player of the year.  Let's hope he remains steady down the stretch.  He has pitched some very valuable innings. I echo the earlier thought that a nice second half by Lackey would be huge, but I won't bet the ranch. Can CC finish the year at .270/.320/.725 with 25 SBs?  It will take a nice second half to get to these very mediocre numbers. My fear is that Miller will pitch his way out of the rotation by late August.  The O's game showed that he will struggle against lineups that are patient and make him throw strikes.  Someone from the farm will need to step up unless another starter is added by trade. 
    Posted by phxvlsoxfan[/QUOTE]

I like this post, especially your thoughts about Miller and Albers.  Always ready for a good Cinderella story, as long as Bud Selig plays the wicked stepmother.

Thanks for taking part in the dialogue.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]Summer, pitching and hitting/playing first base are two totally different beasts.  Not saying beckett's back issues didn't have to do with being out of shape.  But, conditioning is one thing.  But, the physical action of pitching a baseball, which these guys repeat time and time again, is one that goes totally contrary to the natural, healthy movement range of shoulder, upper and lower back, torso, elbow, biceps, wrist, fingers, neck, and eyes if you are Fernando Valenzuela.  Freeze frame any pitcher's motion from the point of the leg plant forward, and it looks like a frame out of  a horror movie.  Pitchers are always going to be injured more than position players.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

I agree, Space, but I still think the staff would benefit from some of A-Gon's karma as well as his stamina.

Truthfully, I am wondering about the overall conditioning/training regimen of the pitchers  - that is a legacy of John Farrell's, btw. 

Maybe it seems too big a problem because we are so close to it as BOS fans, but it just seems to me that too many of our Ps are going down to injury, pain, etc.  It seems too much to ask that, even with a 5-or-a-6-man rotation, a pitcher cannot give a full season with a stay on the DL. What think, my friend?

Wonder how Curt Young feels about this?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Random thoughts while waiting for play to resume on Friday : I was thinking along the same line.  Lackey has an opportunity to step it up at this critical point in the season.
    Posted by rickerd2[/QUOTE]

Your mouth to God's ears, rick. Thanks.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]Absolutely, Lackey will save us all, every last one of us. 
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

God bless us everyone, Burrito, old friend.  Your mouth to God's ears.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Random thoughts while waiting for play to resume on Friday : I agree, Space, but I still think the staff would benefit from some of A-Gon's karma as well as his stamina. Truthfully, I am wondering about the overall conditioning/training regimen of the pitchers  - that is a legacy of John Farrell's, btw.  Maybe it seems too big a problem because we are so close to it as BOS fans, but it just seems to me that too many of our Ps are going down to injury, pain, etc.  It seems too much to ask that, even with a 5-or-a-6-man rotation, a pitcher cannot give a full season with a stay on the DL. What think, my friend? Wonder how Curt Young feels about this?
    Posted by summerof67[/QUOTE]

yeah, i hear ya.  Total conjecture, but I think the Farell Regime babied pitchers to the point that they did not pitch enough to get the proper strength to endure a season.  Dunno.  Maybe not.  But maybe.