Random thoughts while waiting for play to resume on Friday

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Re: Random thoughts while waiting for play to resume on Friday

"wouldn't it be nice if Wheeler and/or Jenks became a reliable option out of the pen"

Wheeler has done a very nice job for us since coming off the DL.  Let's hope he keeps it up.  

Jenks, OTOH.....     Even when he doesn't give up a run, it's rare that he has a clean inning.

Here's to our players coming back and staying healthy for the 2nd half!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Here's a random thought, why in hell do ants live inside my brand new MAC? Every time I sit down these small insects are climbing in and out of my keyboard (often times out from under the "T" and down into the "I" unless I have already squashed them dead).

Being a clean freak I used to just brush them away as I did not want ant guts on my shiny white MAC, but now I just kill them upon first sight.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from therimrattler. Show therimrattler's posts

georom4,

you correct that the american league did make the change to go with the DH, but now so has every other league everywhere.

time for the NL to get with the program!  time for MLB to make their game a game with one set of rules for all teams in every game.

a personal question,  when was the last time you paid your way into a NL ball park to either watch the pitchers hit or the manager make the "famous and ever popular" double switch?

there will not be a reader of this post who will truthfully admit that they like to watch the NL pitchers hit or the NL managers make the double switch, but there will be many who do like to see guys like ortiz hit four or five times per game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Random thoughts while waiting for play to resume on Friday:
    [QUOTE]Here's a random thought, why in hell do ants live inside my brand new MAC? Every time I sit down these small insects are climbing in and out of my keyboard (often times out from under the "T" and down into the "I" unless I have already squashed them dead). Being a clean freak I used to just brush them away as I did not want ant guts on my shiny white MAC, but now I just kill them upon first sight.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

wow.  you are the unwitting protagonist in a japanese horror flick it seems.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

One just scurried across my screen, I nearly put my fist through it.... man they are driving my crazy.  They never run in a straight line, I am beginning to think they have a plan together and they are sending out teasers to see how far they can push me.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

The Red Sox need to stop hitting into so many double plays. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

My two cents, that was the worst production of an AS game ever.  Pretty poor work all around, and I'm not even talking about the athletes.  Willy Mays had something to say about the absent players, though.

Chris Berman improvised his way through the Derby, and not very well at that. His shtick has become old and unvaried.  It seemed clear that the crowd was more against him than with him and I think he knew it.  And the crowd was terrible throughout these past two days.  IMO, they came across as whiney, having booed many of the players in the derby and throughout the game, including the NL players.  Josh Hamilton was the only AL player to receive any kudos from the fans.  It took Fielder hitting 5 hrs on 5 swings to win them over in the derby. 

The camera work was weak at best; how many times in clutch at bats did the camera swing to the behind-the-plate view?  Players' names were mispronounced at times.  On several occasions, one could hear the crack of the bat before the camera focused on the field of play.  Maybe it's just me, but this was poor production. 

As for the game itself, the NL pitching is filthy. Good for them for beating the AL. Of course, Washington barely even managed that game. If you want to actually win a game, maybe Gonzalez and Bautista should stay in the lineup. The AL had only one extra base hit, Gozalez' HR. That's it.

Sorry for the rant.  I'm a bit jaded about all of this. Once again, the hype far exceeded the actual event.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

There is not a single all-star game in any sport that I have ever give two s&%ts about, homefield advantage at stake or not.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

We are not so far apart, really. 

Let's play two today, Zac.

better than

fair enough 67

let's play 2

1 with & 1 without a DH ;-)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

AS game determining home advantage in the Series helped Sox twice before, so OK with that.  It can go either way.

Top teams should manage their teams such a way to win the AS game, given what's riding.

Would help to give an additional day rest between last game before AS game and AS game.  Some elite pitchers may be able to throw an inning for the cause.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]"wouldn't it be nice if Wheeler and/or Jenks became a reliable option out of the pen" Wheeler has done a very nice job for us since coming off the DL.  Let's hope he keeps it up.   Jenks, OTOH.....     Even when he doesn't give up a run, it's rare that he has a clean inning. Here's to our players coming back and staying healthy for the 2nd half!
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

Agree with you on Jenks, Kimmi.  Expectations weren't really set, IMHO, by Theo at that signing.  Maybe we were hoping for another Sabathia, but it looks like we got another Brad Penny.  So it goes!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Random thoughts while waiting for play to resume on Friday : yeah, i hear ya.  Total conjecture, but I think the Farell Regime babied pitchers to the point that they did not pitch enough to get the proper strength to endure a season.  Dunno.  Maybe not.  But maybe.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

More inclined to think maybe than maybe not, Space.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]Earl Wilson was a great hitter for a pitcher.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

True dat!

Jim Kaat was still the gold standard for pitchers who could hit, though, IMHO.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]Here's a random thought, why in hell do ants live inside my brand new MAC? Every time I sit down these small insects are climbing in and out of my keyboard (often times out from under the "T" and down into the "I" unless I have already squashed them dead). Being a clean freak I used to just brush them away as I did not want ant guts on my shiny white MAC, but now I just kill them upon first sight.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Burrito, old friend, ya gotta stop eating lunch at the keyboard.  Your crumbs are your undoing.

Cool

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]We are not so far apart, really.  Let's play two today, Zac.   better than fair enough 67 let's play 2 1 with & 1 without a DH ;-)
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

LOL!

Cool

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Daniel Bard not being selected to the All-Star team was one of the major injustices of recent years. Not that he couldn't use a few days of R & R.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

I never heard the media mention this. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Random thoughts while waiting for play to resume on Friday : Agree with you on Jenks, Kimmi.  Expectations weren't really set, IMHO, by Theo at that signing.  Maybe we were hoping for another Sabathia, but it looks like we got another Brad Penny.  So it goes!
    Posted by summerof67[/QUOTE]

Another Brad Penny is at least better than another Eric Gagne ... Cry

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Random thoughts while waiting for play to resume on Friday : Agree with you on Jenks, Kimmi.  Expectations weren't really set, IMHO, by Theo at that signing.  Maybe we were hoping for another Sabathia, but it looks like we got another Brad Penny.  So it goes!
    Posted by summerof67[/QUOTE]

I've never been a fan of the big contracts for relievers.  I can't say that I was unhappy when Jenks was signed, but I thought his contract was too much.  It seems more often than not, they turn out to be a bust, and the guys that turn out to be the BP saviors are the Okajimas and the Aceves' of the world.

Foulke turned out to be a good signing (albeit for only one year of his 3 year deal) but the Red Sox needed a closer at the time.  They did not need a closer or even a set up guy this year.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I thought it was very cool for R. Martin to tell Ron Washington to let the kid catch the 2nd half of the game as it was the kid's first and his third.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

My random thoughts:

The Sox fear shoulder injuries more than elbow injuries, under the assumption that shoulder injuries are more permanent and harder to come back from.  As a result, they have devised a shoulder conditioning program that many pitchers have lauded.  What if their stronger shoulders are actually putting more strain on their elbow ligaments, this increasing the likelihood of an elbow ligament injury (and TJ surgery)?

I know that this is 0/20 hindsight, but I have said it before:  they should have let Matsuzaka do it his way.  They feared he might wear his arm out.  He did so anyway doing it their way.

This 200 innings stuff is BS.  I never heard of so many injuries back in the day that pitchers routinely pitched 250+ innings a year (and the best ones, more than 300).  That includes some who were woefully out of shape (see Denny McLain and Mickey Lolich).  If some of their careers were short and sweet, so too are most of the pitchers today.  Not too many Tom Seavers or Jim Palmers amongst todays best starters.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Roast Beef and Swiss

or

Roast Beef and Provolone?

25. This post has been removed.